Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Arcade and Retro Chat - Insert Coin -

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭smurf492

Shadow of the beast would be a good title for a Bond flick....

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Mr.Saturn wrote: »
    Nothing quite shakes one's notions like the moment you discover that Chitty Chitty Bang Bang and James Bond were both written by Ian Fleming.

And that Goldfinger is played by Gert Frobe, who also played the Baron in Chitty Chitty Bang Bang

• Registered Users Posts: 3,993 ✭✭✭Nerdkiller1991

smurf492 wrote: »
    Shadow of the beast would be a good title for a Bond flick....
    They'd have to get Michael Bay to direct that in order to get that level of parallax.

And since people were so hung up on my last reference...

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Beautiful looking hand drawn art remake of Wonderboy III The Dragon's Trap announced:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 15,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

So I picked this up for cheap and to play around with yesterday.

6BF1CD5E-DFE5-4F6A-ABB3-588F13E3BB5A_zpsipulqpe7.jpg

It's a 2010 MacBook Air. I'm really unfamiliar with macs but was hoping to load a few retro games on it. Obviously there's the whole emulator/mane route but anyone know some decent retro pc games that run on macs?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Tomo.Murphy

So I picked this up for cheap and to play around with yesterday.

6BF1CD5E-DFE5-4F6A-ABB3-588F13E3BB5A_zpsipulqpe7.jpg

It's a 2010 MacBook Air. I'm really unfamiliar with macs but was hoping to load a few retro games on it. Obviously there's the whole emulator/mane route but anyone know some decent retro pc games that run on macs?

You could use boot camp to install Windows. Quickest solution to compatibility with games!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,717 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

This is a tasty frontend for MACs

http://openemu.org/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Very quiet around here lately....
    Have we run out of Retro?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 15,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Very quiet around here lately....
    Have we run out of Retro?

Well it is a finite resource... until current gen becomes retro and sure then where would we be at.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Always seems to be a bit quiet during the summer months, folks on their holi-bobs. E3, Euros, Olympics, plenty going on soon. :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,180 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

Greatest PC game evaaar System Shock II is currently Free over on Gog.com
    you guys have no excuse now not to play it ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 34,432 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Andrew76 wrote: »
    Always seems to be a bit quiet during the summer months, folks on their holi-bobs. E3, Euros, Olympics, plenty going on soon. :)

Boards is also suffering from a continual drop in new signups and traffic too unfortunately :( you can see it in a lot of forums.

o1s1n wrote: »
    Boards is also suffering from a continual drop in new signups and traffic too unfortunately :( you can see it in a lot of forums.

There is that too I guess. Hopefully it's not terminal as there's no chance I'm using Facecrapbook for my retro gaming fix.

Master of the Universe

I've been perusing Facebook a bit more lately due to how quiet it is around these parts and one thing I tell you, it really makes me glad boards is moderated the way it is.

The unchecked idiocy levels over there are insane. Half the time I just have to step back away from my computer or I'd spend the rest of my days like this;

duty_calls.png

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Would have to agree with you on that, cant stand the bookface.

On the rare occasion I open Facebook I don't understand what I'm looking at, literally, that 'wall' thing. Looking at posts from whomever. Jumbled up mess is all I see. Makes me feel like I'm computer illiterate! :pac:

That and I have zero interest in looking at pictures of what folks are getting up to everyday or some competition thing they've entered into.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

I always keep my friend list on Facebook tightly pruned. Makes it good deal more manageable... also no mad aunts or anything like that get added.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

I closed my facebook account about 3 or 4 months ago. best thing i ever did. So much rubbish, say amen to this, pictures of sick children or worse being shared around.. people posting pictures of their "princesses" the whole time when you know the kids are little sh*ts in real life, the moaning.. oh the never ending moaning on facebook.. even thinking about it makes me angry again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

So much rubbish, say amen to this, pictures of sick children or worse being shared around

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRTwqJatoGGKX5f5v99F42f3E2Lh005Ur4yd9Fz15HULgruWRhK

Master of the Universe

Prayers...to Satan! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,911 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

I think the great irony of Facebook, and the internet generally, is that it is the greatest tool in existence for mass communication and bringing folk together, yet when confronted with said folk, one realizes they never want to talk to anyone ever again. It's like one prolonged self-branding/ranty machine that it is very easy to become cynical and jaded at the whole sorry affair. Fantastic as a news accumulator, mind. I've tried to use Twitter for the same function, but even now, after its peak, I still feel like I need a cryptographer to deal with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,950 ✭✭✭Doge

Depends on how you use it really. There's some really great hobby/interest groups on there, a bit like boards really.

I mean if you just use boards for the After Hours forum you won't think much of the site. The same goes for Facebook.

Interesting Groups and Pages is what I mainly use it for, well that and posting Memes all day! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 8,848 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Yeah, if you use Facebook for the groups and pages it can be very useful. The quadcopter and 3D printing groups I'm part of have really helped me out with some issues I had, as well as giving me some great ideas.

Plus, as long as you don’t have a habit of collecting humans and your friend list is 50 or below its not so bad with the bull****.

I have to say, I quite like FB
    I use it with some users hereabouts, family, work colleagues, important things have been announced on it, sad news, good news, friends sharing stuff that's cool or good, their kids, people are right to be proud.
    I wouldn't be a proponent of posting up every single moment of my life, but I do enjoy taking the p1ss out of flat earthers, anti-GMO peeps and posting funny science stuff.
    All in all, I wouldn't say I rely on it at all, but I'd miss it a little bit.
    I'd miss Boards more if it was gone, and certainly choose it over FB.

Master of the Universe

Doge wrote: »
    Interesting Groups and Pages is what I mainly use it for, well that and posting Memes all day! :p

I've never seen doge memes so much in my life :pac:

Mr.Saturn wrote: »
    I think the great irony of Facebook, and the internet generally, is that it is the greatest tool in existence for mass communication and bringing folk together, yet when confronted with said folk, one realizes they never want to talk to anyone ever again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭TechnoFreek

You don't realise how much stuff you have until you start packing....yikes! There's still all the loose consoles and 4 more boxes to be packed.

74445C5B-736B-454B-8750-593D48EDC19F_zpshnwclwlp.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Wow, nice :cool: Not sure where I'll put it all but thanks dude...very generous of you to donate the whole collection to a fellow collector :)

• Advertisement

I see that picture and the only thing I can think of is...did you ever mod those PAL consoles to support 60hz?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement