Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Arcade and Retro Chat - Insert Coin -

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 15,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

I see that picture and the only thing I can think of is...did you ever mod those PAL consoles to support 60hz?

Some are modded yeah

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

All I can think of is I wish I had a collection like that for the fiancée to give out to me about! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,533 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

All I can think of is I wish I never sold my collection.

Might have my first retro purchase in about 3 years coming up soon. Some excited! Pity it's not for me.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 15,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    All I can think of is I wish I never sold my collection.

Might have my first retro purchase in about 3 years coming up soon. Some excited! Pity it's not for me.

It was on my mind to sell off the majority but with the way the market is at the moment I'd have no hope of building it back for a decent price. I know I'd also more than likely regret it at some stage.

It was on my mind to sell off the majority but with the way the market is at the moment I'd have no hope of building it back for a decent price. I know I'd also more than likely regret it at some stage.

Definitely recommend not to sell it, unless it's to me for a discounted price.

I moved something like six times inside 2 years and was sick of lugging the stuff around and it was getting damaged.
    Other half was made redundant and after a while, I decided to sell the stuff with the hope of getting some of it again in the future when I was settled, better job and when prices relaxed a bit.
    It's a major regret for some of the stuff as the prices for everything are only getting higher.
    It's getting to place where you need to be a drug lord to collect boxed Snes stuff and you need to embezzle the treasury of your dictatorship to collect neo geo aes.

Don't sell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,430 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Don't be afraid to sell a few things. I hung onto everything to the point of insanity up until a couple of years ago. Decided to sell off a mountain of stuff (I think most regulars here have at least one item or two :D) and don't regret most of it.

Videogame collecting is getting more expensive for some items (I'm looking at you, Super ****ing Nintendo Entertainment System!). Trick is knowing what they are and retaining them. I doubt a Megadrive, Xbox or Wii are going to cost more than a few quid when you come back.

Actually speaking of which, that weird shop on Gardiner Street had two PS2s and two Wiis with no cables for a fiver each. The hoarder in me had to be restrained and forced out of the shop :D

o1s1n wrote: »
    Don't be afraid to sell a few things. I hung onto everything to the point of insanity up until a couple of years ago. Decided to sell off a mountain of stuff (I think most regulars here have at least one item or two :D) and don't regret most of it.

Videogame collecting is getting more expensive for some items (I'm looking at you, Super ****ing Nintendo Entertainment System!). Trick is knowing what they are and retaining them. I doubt a Megadrive, Xbox or Wii are going to cost more than a few quid when you come back.

Actually speaking of which, that weird shop on Gardiner Street had two PS2s and two Wiis with no cables for a fiver each. The hoarder in me had to be restrained and forced out of the shop :D

Of course, some stuff can be gotten rid but don't sell earthbound etc.

Master of the Universe

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    Of course, some stuff can be gotten rid but don't sell earthbound etc.

Only a lunatic would do that... :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

I moved on a lot of my Mega Drive, PS1 and Dreamcast stuff over the years as I never felt connected to it collecting wise. I guess it comes down to what you feel most appreciative of in your collection. I've never gotten rid of much in my SNES collection as it was always the system I have longer and better memories of, both when I was younger and getting into collecting. Now anything else I pick up on other systems eventually leads to that facilitating a SNES purchase somewhere down the line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

Is he Max Headroom's son or something?

• Advertisement

:o

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I give this comment... 5 G's!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

I did the same a little while back...went through absolutely everything & asked the dreaded "do I really need that" of several items. I'd doubles of several consoles for example, which were never going to get used in reality, so cleared out a few bits & bobs & just reinvested the money back into the collection.

"But what if a console breaks, it'd be handy to have spares there..." :D It's a mindset that requires constant effort to keep in check...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,717 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

You definitely need spares for your more cherished stuff and then obviously need backups for the spares in case they fail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

You definitely need spares for your more cherished stuff and then obviously need backups for the spares in case they fail.

Backups of the backups is where the line needs to be drawn :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

A CD-R of a cracked GD-ROM, from an original GD-ROM you own, then stored as a iso file which is, in turn, stored as a .cue and .bin file.... at which point the universe implodes due to Intellectual Property law contorted to the point of destroying physics.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,848 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Anyone know where I could procure a C4CPC cart for an Amstrad GX4000? Seem to be hard things to find.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    A CD-R of a cracked GD-ROM, from an original GD-ROM you own, then stored as a iso file which is, in turn, stored as a .cue and .bin file.... at which point the universe implodes due to Intellectual Property law contorted to the point of destroying physics.

I never play copied DC games anymore and have starting buying up a decent Dreamcast collection. Some of those games have to be severely compromised to fit on a CD-R. Some games like Napple Tale just plain don't work and crash a points while others like Maken X have the awesome soundtrack ripped out and only have the same song on loop to drive you insane. Most DC cracks usually have music at a much reduced quality if they haven't been totally butchered.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,717 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Steve X2 wrote: »
    Anyone know where I could procure a C4CPC cart for an Amstrad GX4000? Seem to be hard things to find.

PM 'Gerald' on CPCWIKI, he's the creator of the board might have some left.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I never play copied DC games anymore and have starting buying up a decent Dreamcast collection. Some of those games have to be severely compromised to fit on a CD-R. Some games like Napple Tale just plain don't work and crash a points while others like Maken X have the awesome soundtrack ripped out and only have the same song on loop to drive you insane. Most DC cracks usually have music at a much reduced quality if they haven't been totally butchered.

I don't run DC games from CD-R any more. But my understanding was those issues where resolved years ago with 99min CD-R's and overburning?

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Retr0gamer wrote: »

I don't collect Dreamcast originals as for whatever reason, I destroy every jewel case the moment I open or close it.

Don't know what it is, they just seem to disintegrate in my hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Been wanting a GPD XD for a good while now but never really jumped at Funstock or Amazon's prices, which worked out at about €260 or so delivered. It's turns out there's an Android seller in the UK that have them for a much more reasonable €170 delivered, they're branding them as the Droidbox Play-On but they're the same machine with the same software. I took the plunge and it's on the way now.

Been wanting a GPD XD for a good while now but never really jumped at Funstock or Amazon's prices, which worked out at about €260 or so delivered. It's turns out there's an Android seller in the UK that have them for a much more reasonable €170 delivered, they're branding them as the Droidbox Play-On but they're the same machine with the same software. I took the plunge and it's on the way now.

Is it any good though? I've had my eye on the various Android handhelds on funstock but have yet to take the plunge.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Seems to get almost universal praise, the specs are what you'd want for emulation and the build quality is supposed to be very good. I'll let you know how it is when it arrives.

Seems to get almost universal praise, the specs are what you'd want for emulation and the build quality is supposed to be very good. I'll let you know how it is when it arrives.

Ah feck it, i went for it anyway :0)
    Used promo code DBX10OFF and got 10 percent off the already decent price.

Normally they yank or downgrade the audio to make them fit, or used to anyway.
    Rumour was, due to the way the the GD Rom unit reads the CD-Rs, it used to banjax the drive, but that might have just been a rumour to stop people from burning discs or to mask poor workmanship in the Dreamcast itself.
    Either way, I would have most things I really want in it's original form, although somethings are beyond me to buy, so a backup might just have to do in a pinch

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭CosmicSmash

A friend of mine managed to pick up a few cabs, they're all solid enough but some will need some tlc of varying degrees. Some don't power on or may have monitor or cp issues. He is going to be getting a few more for spares next week. Sold to him with no keys he drilled some of the locks and found 45 euro in the cash boxes. I was with him earlier and he opened another couple. No money this time but two single slot MVS board with Waku Waku 7 and Puzzle Bobble carts.There were a few jamma boards too, when I left him some of the cabs were still locked. It's not everyday that you pick up six cabs for 300 euro, even if they need a bit of work.

received_1088073691264476_zps0qejwxnw.jpeg
    received_1088073707931141_zpse7kp5r6p.jpeg
    received_1088073607931151_zpsz90cjuwu.jpeg
    received_1088073637931148_zpsvyhyre3s.jpeg
    received_1088580237880488_zpsagy65oiq.jpeg
    received_1088580677880444_zpsaluq1vpo.jpeg
    received_1088581507880361_zpsaelnvb5k.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

I wish I could get a cab. Just one. I'm not greedy...

Couldn't fit one in where I live now. :(

Star Lord wrote: »
    I wish I could get a cab. Just one. I'm not greedy...

Couldn't fit one in where I live now. :(

spaceinvaders_500_375.jpg

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Holy ****, look what Waku Waku 7 is going for these days! :eek:

That'll cover half his spend if it's in good nick and he sells it.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Waku-Waku-7-Neo-Geo-Mvs-Original-/401131074455?hash=item5d65467397%3Ag%3AzuMAAOSwmtJXUZXu&nma=true&si=ggJ2LLJARbT6B4wHawufNmVARvA%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Seriously that's mad, when I picked it up a few years back it was going for 40-50.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement