Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Arcade and Retro Chat - Insert Coin -

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Is it one of those cases where Waku Waku 7 is going expensive because it's very good or because it's actually rare?

Love that game so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,479 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Looking at Ebay prices, it seems that rarer MVS carts have just increased quite a lot in value over the last few years. Why, I've no idea. Haven't heard of a surge in MVS collecting or anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Love that Seibu Soccer game too, fond memories.

On another note, i was playing Ghouls N Ghosts on my cab last night. The arcade of Dark Souls.
    Unforgiving and forget about it if you get the wrong weapon :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,825 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Steve X2 wrote: »
    I don't run DC games from CD-R any more. But my understanding was those issues where resolved years ago with 99min CD-R's and overburning?

They still don't reach the same storage level of Gd roms. It also depends on the disc image, some games liken Apple tale and makes X the only images you can get are the butchered ones and nobody is really working on new images.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭CosmicSmash

When you take things a bit too far with the whole collecting thing.

13412109_1024663764278576_2635053456608707426_o-1_zpshomwenbm.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,993 ✭✭✭Nerdkiller1991

When you take things a bit too far with the whole collecting thing.

13412109_1024663764278576_2635053456608707426_o-1_zpshomwenbm.jpg
    Gee, and I thought my BD collection was bad.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,529 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

So, E3 rolls around again and little or nothing for the retrogamers, or is there??

• Registered Users Posts: 8,951 ✭✭✭Doge

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    So, E3 rolls around again and little or nothing for the retrogamers, or is there??

What are you expecting, for the showto travel back in time? :p

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,529 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Doge wrote: »
    What are you expecting, for the showto travel back in time? :p

If it can do that, yes!
    Imagine, looking forward to Shovel Knight on the Snes!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

Shenmue 1&2 HD would be nice.

• Advertisement

Speaking of Shemnue, has anything been revealed for the new game since the last e3?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,196 ✭✭✭MrVestek

Doge wrote: »

Speaking of Shemnue, has anything been revealed for the new game since the last e3?
    Yes. Lots. Check out their website.

FRAGGIN' NEW QUAKE ANNOUNCED!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Does anyone know if the Everdrive N8 NES lets you play Famicom & FDS roms through an ordinary NES?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,850 ✭✭✭Steve X2

So my GPD XD android game thingy mentioned a page or so ago arrived yesterday. So far I'm quite impressed with it for emulation and playing proper android games(although I will probably stick something on the analogue nubs to improve grip).
    Having half decent physical controls rather than the touchscreen really makes the difference(and a good bit of grunt under the hood of course). And I much prefer the 3DS style of it over the more PSP/PSVita look of other devices.

Anyway, I wont go on about it here too much, but I'd say money well spent at the price on the site super_furry mentioned.
    Also, if your buying use discount code DBX10OFF for 10 percent off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭megaten

So my GPD XD android game thingy mentioned a page or so ago arrived yesterday. So far I'm quite impressed with it for emulation and playing proper android games(although I will probably stick something on the analogue nubs to improve grip).
    Having half decent physical controls rather than the touchscreen really makes the difference(and a good bit of grunt under the hood of course). And I much prefer the 3DS style of it over the more PSP/PSVita look of other devices.

Anyway, I wont go on about it here too much, but I'd say money well spent at the price on the site super_furry mentioned.
    Also, if your buying use discount code DBX10OFF for 10 percent off.

Hows the dpad on it. Is it more comfortable than a 3DS? I had their previous handled the g5a and it was far too easy to hit diagonals by mistake. At this stage I might just wait for their windows 10 handheld so I can play indie games as well.

megaten wrote: »
    Hows the dpad on it. Is it more comfortable than a 3DS? I had their previous handled the g5a and it was far too easy to hit diagonals by mistake. At this stage I might just wait for their windows 10 handheld so I can play indie games as well.

Dpad is ok, little bit mushy like the face buttons. But not too bad and better than usual for these things(or so the reviews say when comparing them).
    Might see about doing a mod to improve the dpad as the device itself is impressive. I played Crazy Taxi last night on the DC emulator and it ran at 60FPS without glitches. Battery life is pretty great from what I can see as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

Anyone else played the Resident Evil 7 demo yet?

It's pretty cool. But it's basically Michigan: Report from Hell.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

It looks a lot like PT from the screenshots I've seen. The demo is just on PS4 (for now), right?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

Star Lord wrote: »
    It looks a lot like PT from the screenshots I've seen. The demo is just on PS4 (for now), right?

Yep. If you have PS+ and manage to somehow find it. It took me a long time to find it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

That's all part of the experience... :D

Myrddin wrote: »
    Does anyone know if the Everdrive N8 NES lets you play Famicom & FDS roms through an ordinary NES?

Anyone? I can find infor saying you need an adapter to use the NES version in a Famicom & vice versa...but I can't find anything specific about loading Famicom & Disk System Roms straight into an NES from the NES N8 cart...

I know the FDS has expanded audio, but other than that, will a normal front loader NES play famicom & fds roms from the Nes version of the N8?

Anyone? I can find infor saying you need an adapter to use the NES version in a Famicom & vice versa...but I can't find anything specific about loading Famicom & Disk System Roms straight into an NES from the NES N8 cart...

I know the FDS has expanded audio, but other than that, will a normal front loader NES play famicom & fds roms from the Nes version of the N8?

A non-e3 related question in the Arcade and Retro forum! Dat's blasphemy! ;)

Just found a really good 3DO emulator for Android(for my new GPD XD). All games run perfectly, Ciderman if you've Android you need Real3DOPlayer.
    I even managed to copy my nvram saves from the console to the emulator using that 3DO USB host thingy I've got.
    Happy days :)

Looking around I found this in the Everdrive forum.
    A user was discussing the hardware he is loading FDS images from and it's simply a
    I have tested on (1) AV famicom (model no. HVC-101) and (2) old type red-white famicom
    and no adapters used.
    link
    Now, the guy has issues loading FDS roms, but it's not suggested that his hardware is responsible, so it doesn't seem you need a FDS system to load those images.
    It seems harder to find good dumps tbh.
    Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,479 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Everything I've read on the subject points to the fact that it will.

Check out the spec of the NES version

http://www.stoneagegamer.com/everdrive-n8-deluxe-nes.html

EverdDrive-N8 Features:
    NES, Famicom, and Twin Famicom systems are supported.* Many NES/FC clones supported as well.
    Cart supports NES and FDS ROM images.
    Automatic disk side swap for FDS.
    Expansion audio.**
    Game Genie cheat code support.
    Automatically backs-up saves to SD card. There is no need to push reset before shutting down the system.†
    Mapper support can be extended via software updates. As easy as loading new mappers files on SD card.
    FAT / FAT16 / FAT32 file system formats are supported.
    Supports SD (SD & SDHC) cards up to 32GB.
    Quick loading of game files (approx. 4-8 seconds).

WOO HOO! Looks like my father has given up on Eir TV. Not only are we going back to Sky, but we'll be getting SkyQ on the 28th.

Seriously, our Eir TV service has been terrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Had mine delivered a couple of days ago but haven't had a chance to get to grips with it until now. I'd echo everything you say, it's a lovely piece of kit, the controls are really solid and the in-built launcher handles to mapping of on-screen controls to the physical ones really well.

The launcher is GPD propriety one and they really don't give a ****e about copyright or piracy. From inside it you can directly download pretty much any rom or ISO you can think of. I downloaded Shenmue for the Dreamcast emulator and aside from a small bit of graphical clipping it's runs really well - totally playable. However about 45 minutes in I remembered just how tedious Shenmue is and got rid of it :)

Must grab that 3DO emulator. Had one back in the day and spent many happy hours with Killing Time, Return Fire and The Horde.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,180 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

Star Lord wrote: »
    I wish I could get a cab. Just one. I'm not greedy...

Couldn't fit one in where I live now. :(
    If you can get hold of an Icade, a raspberry pi and you're not afraid to take a 10" monitor apart , you can bulid a teeny but playable bartop..
    388936.jpg
    (still have to finish the bezel, repaint the sides ,and front and fit the back on but its working fine ;)

• Advertisement

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Looking around I found this in the Everdrive forum.
    A user was discussing the hardware he is loading FDS images from and it's simply a

link
    Now, the guy has issues loading FDS roms, but it's not suggested that his hardware is responsible, so it doesn't seem you need a FDS system to load those images.
    It seems harder to find good dumps tbh.
    Hope this helps.

In that he's using the N8 Famicom cart by the sounds of it, in two different Famicom's (no adapters, so it can't be an NES).
    o1s1n wrote: »
    Everything I've read on the subject points to the fact that it will.

Check out the spec of the NES version

http://www.stoneagegamer.com/everdrive-n8-deluxe-nes.html

EverdDrive-N8 Features:
    NES, Famicom, and Twin Famicom systems are supported.* Many NES/FC clones supported as well.
    Cart supports NES and FDS ROM images.
    Automatic disk side swap for FDS.
    Expansion audio.**
    Game Genie cheat code support.
    Automatically backs-up saves to SD card. There is no need to push reset before shutting down the system.†
    Mapper support can be extended via software updates. As easy as loading new mappers files on SD card.
    FAT / FAT16 / FAT32 file system formats are supported.
    Supports SD (SD & SDHC) cards up to 32GB.
    Quick loading of game files (approx. 4-8 seconds).

I think that refers to using the N8 Nes cart in a Famicom via an adapter, and the N8 Famicom Cart in an NES, via an adapter.

I'm wondering can I play Famicom & FDS roms, on the N8 Nes cart, on an NES... Has anyone got the hardware maybe they can check?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement