Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Arcade and Retro Chat - Insert Coin -

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

Better value than a Neo Geo X anyway...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭airmax87

80 quid posted for a jap saturn, 2 controllers, 2 games, and svideo cable.
    Good deal ?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Corholio wrote: »
    Super Mario Bros 3.......on PC!

Romero released a video of a prototype that id Software made to show Nintendo what the PC could do back then.

https://vimeo.com/148909578

Bit stuttery and the movement is not quite as smooth as the NES.
    They did a better job of Commander Keen than they did of Mario anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,973 ✭✭✭Doge

I think BGOliie can translate !

Yeah thats preciesly who I meant I said the Longman! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

For the recent chat about the Raspberry PI 2 I can definitely +1 it, cheap and tidy without of horsepower for good emulation.

I put some details of what I bought on here - thread

It's so neat and tidy I can have it setup in the living room hiding behind the TV without being given out to.

I have it emulating SNES, MD/Genesis and PS1 games no problem. Just need more time for games in my life! :D

I want to try a few Saturn ROMs on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,864 ✭✭✭Steve X2

For the recent chat about the Raspberry PI 2 I can definitely +1 it, cheap and tidy without of horsepower for good emulation.

I put some details of what I bought on here - thread

It's so neat and tidy I can have it setup in the living room hiding behind the TV without being given out to.

I have it emulating SNES, MD/Genesis and PS1 games no problem. Just need more time for games in my life! :D

I want to try a few Saturn ROMs on it.

It's a great little device the Pi2, but I wouldn't recommend it to anyone for emulating the PS1 or similar systems. I mean it can run them, but not nearly well enough in my experience(although a lot of 2D games can run very well).
    NES, SNES, Mega Drive, PC Engine, a good chunk of MAME are all pretty great on it. But I find once you start emulating the more recent systems, it’s cool that it can run them as well as it can, but I wouldn’t fancy using it as my main means of emulating those systems.

And this is coming from someone who is a big big fan of the Raspberry Pi, so I’m not just dumping on it as an underpowered system :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,972 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I wouldn't bother emulating PS1 or N64 full stop. The emulators are just awful and far from accurate.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,544 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I've never seen an N64 emu I liked, and with the arrival of the Everdrive 64 there's no need for them at all, once coupled with an NTSC console.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭airmax87

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I've never seen an N64 emu I liked, and with the arrival of the Everdrive 64 there's no need for them at all, once coupled with an NTSC console.

aren't they a pain in the arse to get rgb out of too ? never liked the graphics on the yoke anyways though

only game I could stand on the n64 was wwf no mercy

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,972 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

If you have a NTSC model, most can be modded to RGB.

• Advertisement

So, usual Parcel Motel December it seems. I had a few Kickstarter rewards that were long since setup to go to my pmotel UK address. Bad luck that they should all be delivered in December as one has been checked in a few days ago, no movement and the other was delivery over a week ago and signed for, no record of it at all on their system :0/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

and I thought the "PM Roadshow" (aka collect from our truck at the lockers within this 2 hour slot or you'll have to wait another few days for your item) last year was bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭eddhorse

The last delivery i received, the sender forgot the PMID so it was sitting up the north until i emailed.
    My name was still on it, you would think it would be cross referenced.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

I just had something delivered to PM, got the notification they'd received it/processed it at around 3:30 on Wednesday, (before it was registered as delivered to them), and it was in the PM location I use at 2:14am.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

I notice they're doing a draw for a TV for those who manage to pick up their parcels within 12 hours.

Not terribly feasible to do that as they usually arrive after midnight and I rarely have time to pick up before work in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭TechnoFreek

I use the PM in Arklow. Never had any delays this Christmas or last. Perhaps it's not as busy as city based ones.

I remember when parcel motel started first, primarily in Dublin. I emailed Parcel Motel asking if/when Arklow would open. I got a direct response from the CEO who said that their business strategy for rollout was towns and locations with a population of minimum 20,000.

Arklow has a population of 12k or so. It wasn't on their plans for rollout.

So while Arklow now has a parcel motel, perhaps it is in a category of lower demand Areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,719 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

DinoRex wrote: »
    I notice they're doing a draw for a TV for those who manage to pick up their parcels within 12 hours.

Not terribly feasible to do that as they usually arrive after midnight and I rarely have time to pick up before work in the morning.

Dunno I typically get a text around 7am with the notification and collect before 7.30 on my way to work :)

In fairness to pmotel, they found my missing parcel and it's back in the system. And the one that has been sitting on the system for a few days was delivered yesterday evening by a guy in a car, not delivery van(I don't use the motels anymore, just home delivery).

I guess it makes sense for them to use whatever they can to get deliveries out to people.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

Question about Silent Hill for you guys. Watched the first movie last night, it's looooong, but I enjoyed it. So it made me think of the games since I had never played any if them.

I see SH 2,3, & 4 are on the PS2, and SH 2 & 4 are on the original Xbox.

Which are the better versions? Anybody played both versions and notice anything?

Also, another question about a wireless logictech controller ( this one http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B0002QNL4O/ref=mp_s_a_1_1_twi_gam_1?qid=1450442723&sr=8-1&keywords=logitech+xbox+original+wireless ) I have for the original Xbox.

I asked before a while back but didn't get an answer and nothing online to help. The right thumb stick is fecked, keeps moving down without me touching or moving it at all. Is there anywhere or anyone I could get to have a look at it to fix it maybe?

I rang that Guy based in Tallaght a few weeks back (can't remember the name of his company right now, but people on here do know him) and he basically said to throw it in the bin, worthless now, which I would rather get it fixed as they are hard to find and wireless and a really nice controller to use, just like the PS2 controller from logictech.

Would anyone on here know anything about this or recommend someone in Dublin that would know how to fix it? Or is he right and its distended for the dump?

Sorry for all the questions (as usual).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,544 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I consider Silent Hill 2 to be one of the best games I have ever played.
    I own the rest, including the original on the PS and the third and fourth games as well, but have put no time into them at all.
    The SH2 I played was the original PS2 edition, though the Xbox one has an extra chapter that is included in the directors cut on the PS2 as well.
    I haven't played the HD rereleases at all.
    I would suggest that the standard definition of the PS2 version probably is how it is supposed to be seen, and HD, courtesy of the PS3, may detract from the experience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I consider Silent Hill 2 to be one of the best games I have ever played.
    I own the rest, including the original on the PS and the third and fourth games as well, but have put no time into them at all.
    The SH2 I played was the original PS2 edition, though the Xbox one has an extra chapter that is included in the directors cut on the PS2 as well.
    I haven't played the HD rereleases at all.
    I would suggest that the standard definition of the PS2 version probably is how it is supposed to be seen, and HD, courtesy of the PS3, may detract from the experience.

Yeah I heard the HD collection kinda removed the fog effects? Wasn't that the whole point at the time?

I'll seek out the ps2 sh2 so. Thanks for that CiDeRmAn!

The PS2 really has been one of the best games consoles of all time.
    Not only has it a massive library of games, but a shocking number of them don't suck, and in that group are some examples of excellence, from Cold Winter to Prince of Persia, from Shadow of the Colossus/Ico to the aforementioned Silent Hill 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Cineworld in Parnell Street have one of the Star Wars Battlepods in their foyer. €2 a go and well worth heading in for if you're close by, although graphically it's surprisingly basic.

Yeah I heard the HD collection kinda removed the fog effects? Wasn't that the whole point at the time?

I'll seek out the ps2 sh2 so. Thanks for that CiDeRmAn!

Thought the silent hill film was complete and utter thrash and totally missed the point of the games. I was so disappointed considering the source material they had.

So if you actually enjoyed the film you'll love silent hill 2. Have to agree with ciderman, it's an absolute classic.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    .....you'll love silent hill 2. Have to agree with ciderman, it's an absolute classic.

snoopy-joy.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 34,609 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

there-is-a-disturbance-in-the-force-cat-cats-kitten-kitty-pic-picture-funny-lolcat-cute-fun-lovely-photo-images.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,995 ✭✭✭Nerdkiller1991

Well, just watched American Hustle...nothing more than a shallow, empty Scorsese knock off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

sorry for yet another non-A&R related question, but I know I'll always get great help here.

can anyone recommend a decent free Dvd playback download for windows 8?
    didnt realise that Microsoft had decided nobody watches dvds anymore.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 15,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

sorry for yet another non-A&R related question, but I know I'll always get great help here.

I think VLC player should work.

• Advertisement

VLC or PotPlayer should do the trick. I prefer PotPlayer myself.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement