Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Arcade and Retro Chat - Insert Coin -

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,611 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Finally got the internet set up in my new place. Sweet mother****ing relief! It was beginning to feel like the early 90s. I was starting to cut knee holes in my jeans.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,544 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

And listening to Snap and watching The Fresh Prince of BelAir!

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭smurf492

It was better than what we have now...Beware the smartphone zombies who make it their business to walk into people due their phone being bigger than their face...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

o1s1n wrote: »
    Finally got the internet set up in my new place. Sweet mother****ing relief! It was beginning to feel like the early 90s. I was starting to cut knee holes in my jeans.

Welcome back! BROS jeans yeah?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

Here lads I'm thinking of getting a Retropie setup.

What's the cheapest and least hassle free way of getting it going with all the Retroarch filters and what not. I'm all about not having to dicker around configuring and spending the time playing instead. If I can get a preconfigured SD card I'd happily go down that route.

Also any recommendations about cases that aren't dog ugly would be nice.

Have a PS3 hori arcade stick is that going to be hard to get speaking to it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,864 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Here lads I'm thinking of getting a Retropie setup.

What's the cheapest and least hassle free way of getting it going with all the Retroarch filters and what not. I'm all about not having to dicker around configuring and spending the time playing instead. If I can get a preconfigured SD card I'd happily go down that route.

Also any recommendations about cases that aren't dog ugly would be nice.

Have a PS3 hori arcade stick is that going to be hard to get speaking to it?
    It’s fairly handy to get working, especially the most recent version(the new version seems to have sorted a lot of the issues with getting retroarch setup with controls).
    Grab yourself a Raspberry Pi 2, an MicroSD card and download the image from the retropie site. You’ll still need to edit a few config files in retroarch to get the screen filters just the way you like, but its fairly handy.

As for a case, that depends on what you like. I like the cases they do over on pimoroni, but these days usually I grab a nice one from thingiverse.com and print it out.

Master of the Universe

Myrddin wrote: »
    Welcome back! BROS jeans yeah?

Xworx and Eclipse jeans all the way, yo.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 15,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

o1s1n wrote: »
    Xworx and Eclipse jeans all the way, yo.

Could be on the way back in!

http://www.today.com/style/jnco-jeans-return-90s-throwback-comeback-t54096

Is this what old age is? Having a revival of trends from your youth and a console you bought at launch now being classed as retro?

Master of the Universe

Could be on the way back in!

http://www.today.com/style/jnco-jeans-return-90s-throwback-comeback-t54096

Is this what old age is? Having a revival of trends from your youth and a console you bought at launch now being classed as retro?

Welcome to being old. I've saved you a seat ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭smurf492

Well I'll be living the old grunge way of life like neil young...boo xworxx and file and all that sh##e...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,544 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Joe Bloggs jeans
    Nafnaf jackets
    Big hi top trainers
    And a flat top you could land a helicopter on.

And, as I had some class, a Tomas de Torquemada T-shirt.

Early 90's were sweet!

Anybody know where I can pick up a cheap as chips remote control & receiver that'll work with a Pi2/Kodi...bricks & mortar only as I need it for next week...

From CVPL

3TtTwrU.jpg

Master of the Universe

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 4,230 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

From CVPL

3TtTwrU.jpg

As compressed as it is, that image is only 39KB

KeRbDoG wrote: »
    As compressed as it is, that image is only 39KB

You should have done a Schrute rtype rebut :p

image.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Anybody know where I can pick up a cheap as chips remote control & receiver that'll work with a Pi2/Kodi...bricks & mortar only as I need it for next week...

I just use my samsung remote for the tv.

Apart from that i use the xbmc app for iphone.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,211 ✭✭✭MrVestek

Any TV that's HDMI-CEC compatible will allow you to control Kodi on the Pi via your existing TV remote.

If not then pretty much any IR device will work as most of the versions of Linux that come pre-compiled for the Pi have iR drivers available for them.

Most devices (especially the cheap ones) use a pretty generic chipset that Linux has drivers for usually by default.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,719 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

I use one of these cheapy keyboard/mouse pad to control Kodi, having the keyboard is handy for any tweaking thats needed.

sku_217062_1.jpg

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,182 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Joe Bloggs jeans
    Nafnaf jackets
    Big hi top trainers
    And a flat top you could land a helicopter on.

And, as I had some class, a Tomas de Torquemada T-shirt.

Early 90's were sweet!
    bootleg metallica black album tshirt..west(!) German ex army shirt, black jeans and a smelly biker jacket.
    I looked a feckin' wreck back then :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭airmax87

people who list GAMES in the console section of ebay should get a kick in the shins, and they should get two if its shovelware

Oh I dunno, you can often get nice bargains on incorrectly listed or misspelled items :)

Oh I dunno, you can often get nice bargains on incorrectly listed or misspelled items :)

I've always seen that in infographics but never came across a good badly listed bargain myself :(

Ah it purely be by random you'll stumble across something.

Last year I picked up a "Amstard" for peanuts, for some reason nobody was bidding on it :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 15,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

airmax87 wrote: »
    I've always seen that in infographics but never came across a good badly listed bargain myself :(

http://www.typobay.com

http://www.fatfingers.co.uk

Never used them myself, but might be useful

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

be careful though, you don't want to end up with one of these

polystation_270x202.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 8,974 ✭✭✭Doge

airmax87 wrote: »

Seems like something more prehistoric, i reckon it has similar internals to those cheap handheld emulation devices from china:

Aside from saying "merde" a lot maybe the Longman can decipher what our French friend is saying!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Super Mario Bros 3.......on PC!

Romero released a video of a prototype that id Software made to show Nintendo what the PC could do back then.

https://vimeo.com/148909578

• Advertisement

Doge wrote: »
    Seems like something more prehistoric, i reckon it has similar internals to those cheap handheld emulation devices from china:

Aside from saying "merde" a lot maybe the Longman can decipher what our French friend is saying!

I think BGOliie can translate !

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement