Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Arcade and Retro Chat - Insert Coin -

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

eddhorse wrote: »
    Not seen many to be honest, low lifes if they do, any examples?

http://www.adverts.ie/nintendo/nintendo-dsi-console-and-games/9429283

He bought the console and 44 games for €120 yesterday (but would have collected them this morning)

Now selling the console and 3 games for €50.

I wanted to buy 3 games (which he has not included in the new deal) from the original seller for €30. I'm not bitter it's just quite annoying to see.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 15,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

It's annoying and a bit scummy tbh but if people see a way to make some easy profit then they're going to take advantage. Wouldn't let it bother me though, just ignore it and move on the the next ad/seller.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,788 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Yeah it's cheeky doing it on the same site but **** all you can do.

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭Linoud

Annoying as ****, but not much to be done about it I spose? :/

Oh ya nothing you can do of course and people are free to buy and sell how they want, was just interested to see what people thought of it. It's just annoying when you see the exact same thing pop up less than a day after it was sold.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

There used to be a rule against that on Adverts (profiteering). If it could be shown that the user bought the item only to sell it for a higher price, then the ad would be removed. I suppose as Adverts grew though, moderating things like that would have became a full time job

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Tchoin

Corholio wrote: »
    Oh ya nothing you can do of course and people are free to buy and sell how they want, was just interested to see what people thought of it. It's just annoying when you see the exact same thing pop up less than a day after it was sold.

I feel you man.

Earlier in the year, or was it late last year? can't remember now, there was this amazing deal, very nice collection with GG, Lynx, MD, and a bunch of other stuff going for around €160-200 -- can't recall the details.

I believe you were offering on that, I was as well, but the guy that got it went and posted all the items separately the next day, summing up to a total of around €600... very annoying. I've seen that user do that lots of times. :mad:

I was particularly interested in that offer as I had no consoles here and my collection was (still is) packed in storage back home, so would've been a great and cheap way to begin a new collection.

Tchoin wrote: »
    I feel you man.

Earlier in the year, or was it late last year? can't remember now, there was this amazing deal, very nice collection with GG, Lynx, MD, and a bunch of other stuff going for around €160-200 -- can't recall the details.

I believe you were offering on that, I was as well, but the guy that got it went and posted all the items separately the next day, summing up to a total of around €600... very annoying. I've seen that user do that lots of times. :mad:

I was particularly interested in that offer as I had no consoles here and my collection was (still is) packed in storage back home, so would've been a great and cheap way to begin a new collection.

Think I possibly remember that alright, and yes it's usually the same people who buy to sell. I don't even mind people who buy a bundle because it includes some things they want and the seller will only sell as a bundle, and then they buy it and sell of some of it for fair prices, but seeing everything a seller bought up for sale again individually is quite annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭eddhorse

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,544 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Yeah, looks amazing.
    But, it is, essentially, the Retron6!
    And I'd take the retro communities hype about it with a pinch of salt, seeing as this is basically an emulation box and that's something they hated about the Retron5, despite the console being possibly the best way to play retro games outside of owning the original hardware.

Playing games straight off of an SD card seems ropey too, where the Retron5 can kinda do it but it's not terribly convenient and easier to just play carts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭airmax87

buy my overpriced merch
    12313730_925713524178683_9129048150385180535_n.jpg?oh=e2e9bd3f804a98bf5d83dad5a07ceb32&oe=56DCC3D5&__gda__=1457825934_5c4d14a9bc86e0ca89fe294f9a332342

• Registered Users Posts: 3,719 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Does the world need another way of playing retro roms ?

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭smurf492

As a guy getting back into the scene, the retron 5 seemed like a gift from the gods for me. But the feeling of receiving an original console or game 20 odd years after release will always beat out the idea of emulators. More expensive yes but the reward is worth it...

smurf492 wrote: »
    As a guy getting back into the scene, the retron 5 seemed like a gift from the gods for me. But the feeling of receiving an original console or game 20 odd years after release will always beat out the idea of emulators. More expensive yes but the reward is worth it...

if you're going the retron route you're better off getting a small form factor pc and some nice controllers for it , just my 2c.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,864 ✭✭✭Steve X2

airmax87 wrote: »
    if you're going the retron route you're better off getting a small form factor pc and some nice controllers for it , just my 2c.

Or go cheaper and get a little android box to run the show. That's all the Retron 5 is anyway really.

The Raspberry Pi is also an option as the emulation scene on that is very active with emulators and front-ends.
    I'd go for a Pi2 as it has a decent bit of power behind it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

d9aab7ae4f617001051bc5804f6adf26060fda13.gif

https://www.humblebundle.com/

A lovely bundle, pay $10 to get everything (except the $40 tshirt bundle).

Lovely bundle, including sountracks..

a120fbf0a1c3f1f867816f535ed669b2b59b2672.jpg

Just under 14 days to go.

Neo Turf Masters here I come..

Steve X2 wrote: »
    Or go cheaper and get a little android box to run the show. That's all the Retron 5 is anyway really.

The Raspberry Pi is also an option as the emulation scene on that is very active with emulators and front-ends.
    I'd go for a Pi2 as it has a decent bit of power behind it.

keep forgetting both exist !

has anyone thrown a pi into a candy cab yet :D

airmax87 wrote: »
    keep forgetting both exist !

has anyone thrown a pi into a candy cab yet :D

Yep, even plugged it into my j-pac and it picked up all the controls fine on MAME.
    It was just a test, I prefer to have a beefy PC in there to run the show.

Edit:
    Here's the vid.

Amalgam wrote: »
    d9aab7ae4f617001051bc5804f6adf26060fda13.gif

https://www.humblebundle.com/

A lovely bundle, pay $10 to get everything (except the $40 tshirt bundle).

Lovely bundle, including sountracks..

a120fbf0a1c3f1f867816f535ed669b2b59b2672.jpg

Just under 14 days to go.

Neo Turf Masters here I come..

Anyone know if this is worth getting? Think I remember someone saying they were just emulating the games or something

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

Anyone know if this is worth getting? Think I remember someone saying they were just emulating the games or something

Yep. Using a stolen emulator and torrent downloaded ROMs.

It's a neat way to pay for and legally use the ROMs I guess.

• Advertisement

Feck sake

Sure a tener is worth it for the soundtracks for me at least

• Registered Users Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭safetyboy

safetyboy wrote: »

I got a Zelda one of those a few years back. Converted it to RGB LED a while ago as the bulbs are hard enough to get and not as nice as an LED. All you need is a cheap LED bar from Amazon or pay a few euro more for an RGB one with a remote, super handy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭Los Lobos

Might be able to sort ya out, throw up a pic of the bulb and I can let ya know

• Registered Users Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭safetyboy

Steve X2 wrote: »
    I got a Zelda one of those a few years back. Converted it to RGB LED a while ago as the bulbs are hard enough to get and not as nice as an LED. All you need is a cheap LED bar from Amazon or pay a few euro more for an RGB one with a remote, super handy :)

You got a link to the LED? sounds easier not even McKenna's beside me had a notion of where to get the bulb.

You got a link to the LED? sounds easier not even McKenna's beside me had a notion of where to get the bulb.

I used an IKEA Dioder i had spare. But just measure how long the bulb is and you know more or less the size you can fit in there. Loads of them on Amazon and eBay.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Cantstandsya

Was at the cinema earlier and there's a new leisureplex on the premises (Charlestown - Finglas). They've got a few arcade games in, Star Wars: Battlepod (not the actual pod though), Mario Kart, Transformers... all big, and I'm sure expensive, cabs. Anytime I see these I always wonder why they don't just drop a couple of old fashioned arcade cabs in... surely a couple of Street Fighter IV cabs beside the pool tables would bring in a few quid?

Still, I had a few games on what was on offer, always a blast to see arcade machines, even if they're just the gimmicky sort.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,974 ✭✭✭Doge

I have a new years resolution I'd like to propose to all the Arcade and Retroists who have access to MAME.

I seriously think we should have a regular MAME high score thread.
    The MAME Of shame thread is regularly updated with the most grotesque looking cabs in the universe,
    so why not have something more positive here we can maximise our enjoyment of MAME and have regular challenges.

There's a great facebook page called 1Kade, which posts 1 arcade game per day and the challenge is simple:

1 credit, Default Settings, No continues.

https://www.facebook.com/1KADE.GAMING

Todays game is Subroc 3D, which is like a prequel to After Burner:

Sadly there seems to be little if any contributions, and it would be great to see some regulars on here contribute both on that page and in a thread on boards.

I think its a great opportunity of finding some new games you havent played also.

TLDR
    Lets start playing more Arcade games during the holidays or new year!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭eddhorse

I like this idea, but daily is a bit of a stretch.

Currently Im trying two games for the monthly high score tables.
    Moon Patrol for the JammaPlus website.
    And Space Launcher for the TenPenceArcade website/podcast.

Great idea.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,974 ✭✭✭Doge

I like this idea, but daily is a bit of a stretch.

Currently Im trying two games for the monthly high score tables.
    Moon Patrol for the JammaPlus website.
    And Space Launcher for the TenPenceArcade website/podcast.

Great idea.

Ah I'm not looking for people to play daily at all!

Just whenever they can really.

1Kade would be handy for less serious gameplay where you're not playing the same game for a month.

There was a MAME highscore thread on here before btw but a violent gang of tumbleweeds took over it!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement