Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Arcade and Retro Chat - Insert Coin -

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    So better than Gunstar Heroes then?

Probably not as good as Legend of the Dragoon though, or AvP on the Jag :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,718 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    AvP on the Jag :D

Was that a DOOM clone ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,856 ✭✭✭Steve X2

I see Kodi runs pretty decent on the £4 Raspberry Pi Zero.
    I wouldn't want it as my main media player, but it runs pretty well it seems.
    Dude in the vid seems like a basement dweller, but its worth watching anyway :)

I think for a young kids bedroom you could put together a decent media player on the cheap with these. Stick a cheap microsd in there and a 5-10 euro remote and you are all set.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

No MagPi magazine here in Swords Easons :(
    I'll have to order one the old fashioned way!

No MagPi magazine here in Swords Easons :(
    I'll have to order one the old fashioned way!

I definitely came across one a while back in Easons on O'Connell St. I remember because i was kind of surprised to see it there.

• Advertisement

None in Liffey Valley either..

Had a idea waaaay back of sticking a Pi into one of the cheapo Namco arcade multigame sticks, but would have had to remove all the connectors to get the bugger to fit but this should solve that nicely :) Anyone got a prebuilt mame distro for it yet ?

Had a idea waaaay back of sticking a Pi into one of the cheapo Namco arcade multigame sticks, but would have had to remove all the connectors to get the bugger to fit but this should solve that nicely :) Anyone got a prebuilt mame distro for it yet ?

It runs the all the same software as all the other Pi's. So you can just stick on whatever emulators or frontends you want.

http://blog.petrockblock.com/retropie/
    http://piplay.org/
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/raspicade/

They're all too slow in booting, would need something like rpi-buildroot with MAME on it to get an acceptable boot time (< 5 secs).

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭blag

Couple of short Dariusburst counterburst videos. The Genesis ship behaves pretty much exactly the same as in G-Darius meaning that you can just cut across the boss lasers to counter but all the others require pretty tight timing to either direct counter or 'cut in' counter (same as PSP).

The whole Dariusburst CS package feels like a complete tribute to the Darius series, there's music, bosses, ships and dialogue from across the whole series in the Chronicle Saviours mode and I can't imagine anyone with even a passing interest in Darius not enjoying it.

That
    Would
    Be
    AWESOME!!!

I have some of those things around abouts.
    I actually like them, but would sacrifice one to a greater cause if I could tunr it into something like that.

Actually, there'd be a nice little market for turning crappy arcade sticks into plug and play arcade machines, with one of those.

• Advertisement

They're all too slow in booting, would need something like rpi-buildroot with MAME on it to get an acceptable boot time (< 5 secs).

I did have an old build I was testing on that purple C64 mod I did a while back. It booted directly to MAME with a very minimal interface(just the list of MAME games). I changed the Pi boot config and think I had it from power on to play I maybe 10 seconds.
    It worked well but I wanted a multi emulator setup on that mod so stopped using it.

Steve X2 wrote: »
    I did have an old build I was testing on that purple C64 mod I did a while back. It booted directly to MAME with a very minimal interface(just the list of MAME games). I changed the Pi boot config and think I had it from power on to play I maybe 10 seconds.
    It worked well but I wanted a multi emulator setup on that mod so stopped using it.

Ya that sounds perfect. You've probably only need a handful of decent old skool games on one of these units anyway, 1 or 2 button classics and such.

Ya that sounds perfect. You've probably only need a handful of decent old skool games on one of these units anyway, 1 or 2 button classics and such.

Yeah, I know the Pi2 can run a lot of heavier MAME roms than the Pi1(which the Zero is based on, but clocked higher than).
    But i do remember dodonpachi and that level of shmup running perfectly on a 1ghz clocked Pi1. So the Zero will handle the MAME basics pretty well I'd say.

Anyway, will test it out next week when my one arrives and post here or in another thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

I never managed to get my roms running properly on my Pi2 setup. Not played around with it in months though, so must give it another try.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,162 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Had a whirl of the Star Wars Battlepod in Cineworld earlier. Impressive piece of kit hosting basically a glorified Star Wars Arcade remake! Screen is a bit pixel-y given how close you are to it, but the production values are lovely and nicely intense. Nice to see such an expensive piece of pure arcade kit out in the wild :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Had a whirl of the Star Wars Battlepod in Cineworld earlier. Impressive piece of kit hosting basically a glorified Star Wars Arcade remake! Screen is a bit pixel-y given how close you are to it, but the production values are lovely and nicely intense. Nice to see such an expensive piece of pure arcade kit out in the wild :)

Which Cineworld was it?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,162 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Just the Dublin one. It's in the main foyer, so one doesn't even need to pay their unreasonable ticket prices to access it! But sure you may as well pop in and see Carol while you're there ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Tomo.Murphy

Has anyone ordered a new 3ds from amazon.fr? The price is tempting me, ha!

The new XL is cheaper than the cheapest standard sized console I've found anywhere else.

I think it's fair to say my brother likes Jurassic Park :)

Y08cVvA.jpg

LsuXyBH.jpg

I don't see the excellent books there, well worth reading.

• Advertisement

Nice Amstrad :) None of that fancy colour monitor stuff...

Nice Amstrad :) None of that fancy colour monitor stuff...

Haha, if you only knew the Amstrad goodness in that room :eek:
    I don't see the excellent books there, well worth reading.

He has about every jpark book elsewhere, I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,963 ✭✭✭Doge

The nerdiness must run in the family! :)

I'm a black sheep in my family!

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭Los Lobos

Another good pinball meet today, cheers brownfinger! Let the rankings start to take shape!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,963 ✭✭✭Doge

• Registered Users Posts: 3,994 ✭✭✭Nerdkiller1991

Only £99? I doubt it has been modified for 60Hz and all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,198 ✭✭✭MrVestek

Had a go of it myself a few weeks ago before heading in to see a film with a friend.

Came back out to have another go of it and thought I saw a BSOD on it... went to get my phone and it turns out somebody had remotely connected into the thing and was updating the software.

Bit bizarre to see somebody running a command prompt via embedded Windows XP on it... but awesome nonetheless.

The sound system in it is amazing too.

MrVestek wrote: »
    Had a go of it myself a few weeks ago before heading in to see a film with a friend.

Came back out to have another go of it and thought I saw a BSOD on it... went to get my phone and it turns out somebody had remotely connected into the thing and was updating the software.

Bit bizarre to see somebody running a command prompt via embedded Windows XP on it... but awesome nonetheless.

The sound system in it is amazing too.

As long as it was't Windows Vista.... the OS of the Empire...

The Deathstar would never have blown those times if they'd only stayed on XP...

Rebels use Linux, bunch of independent minded hippies

Los Lobos wrote: »
    Another good pinball meet today, cheers brownfinger! Let the rankings start to take shape!

Cheers,
    That was hard work .
    I know it didnt look it but those cans wernt going to drink themselves.:cool:

The right cannon in star trek jacked it in later in the evening :eek:

• Advertisement

That new Raspberry Pi Zero arrived today.

Few pics next to a Pi 2.

ObKj8RS.jpg
    ErXMgXn.jpg

It's so small, it looks like an addon board for the Raspberry Pi 2 :)
    k3Y9Wd5.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement