Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When Calving Starting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

1st late night for me, heifer with the calf coming backwards, looked as if she'd been pushing a decent while, so I jacked him out straight away. Calf was still alive but took a good while to get the airway free and him breathing. Took the cow a good 10mins to getup also, which she thankfully did. I hate calvings like this but all ended well this time thankfully.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,551 ✭✭✭keep going

3 fr heifers since 12 to night and one blister broke and another with tail up, these 2 will test the dedication to getting beistings into them as I had a s##t evening.i was taking silage over to the yearlings with a feeder trailer and a tyre burst at 4 o clock so I had to get it sorted and off the road bbefore dark but it meant the evening work went very late

• Registered Users Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭Deepsouthwest

keep going wrote: »
    3 fr heifers since 12 to night and one blister broke and another with tail up, these 2 will test the dedication to getting beistings into them as I had a s##t evening.i was taking silage over to the yearlings with a feeder trailer and a tyre burst at 4 o clock so I had to get it sorted and off the road bbefore dark but it meant the evening work went very late

Things are so tight at this time of year that any break down like that really fecks up ur day, esp if it happens in the evening. U'll sleep well tonight!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,360 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Milked out wrote: »
    Yeah they take a lot of minding and time which is scarce at the moment. , once a scour is spotted if u get in straight away with electrolytes it normally sorts them, this crypto is a ****er tho.
    Anyway another fr heifer just landed and fed, mite be one more 2moro and then there should be a bit of a break, I'll need it if just to get a bit of sleep
    had a heifer calve at 4am , dont think there will be ny more for a day or so, going to bed at 9pm tonight:) wrecked

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭Greengrass1

Everyone must have had a busy night calving so?
    I was up at 6 2 cows had calved since 3am
    And found another heifer calf passage covered in ****e.
    Things would get busy when I'm going off

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,551 ✭✭✭keep going

Things are so tight at this time of year that any break down like that really fecks up ur day, esp if it happens in the evening. U'll sleep well tonight!

Dont know about that yet , 5fr heifers out of6 so cant complain

• Registered Users Posts: 24,400 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

whelan2 wrote: »
    had a heifer calve at 4am , dont think there will be ny more for a day or so, going to bed at 9pm tonight:) wrecked

Famous last words

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Injuryprone

Am I entitled to be a bit pissed off with the following AI Angus calf? 3 out of 6 born so far have significant white markings. Am I right in thinking its going to depress their value a good bit?
    IMG_20150219_143330208.jpg

Reggie. wrote: »
    Famous last words
    2 more since, last one was dead, cow had no springing and did the same last year, not due for another week or so, bought in cow, she will be for the chop this year

Am I entitled to be a bit pissed off with the following AI Angus calf? 3 out of 6 born so far have significant white markings. Am I right in thinking its going to depress their value a good bit?
    IMG_20150219_143330208.jpg
    wouldnt be happy with that, never much white on our aa calves from fr cows

• Advertisement

wouldnt be happy with that, never much white on our aa calves from fr cows

Often seen small bit of white at the very bottom of the belly. Rarely on the head like that

2 more since, last one was dead, cow had no springing and did the same last year, not due for another week or so, bought in cow, she will be for the chop this year

Enough hardship in calving without inviting more in

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Had 3 or 4 AAs worst than that last yr, from KYA! First one off a totally white screwy HO so just thought it was her fault, but got a 1/2 black and white one off a good 80% black cow then! AAs weren't selling well last yr anyways, in fairness they looked like a very square Br Fr so didn't make much less than what they would have if they were all black.

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭welton john

An rdu second calver calved today.295 days,had to come out the side. A monster of a calf and all from an ai easy calving angus.

An rdu second calver calved today.295 days,had to come out the side. A monster of a calf and all from an ai easy calving angus.
    had vet back to my cow that had a section yesterday. She got fluids and some more painkillers, she's not really eating, just calved another and waiting on 1 more to calve before i go to bed

had vet back to my cow that had a section yesterday. She got fluids and some more painkillers, she's not really eating, just calved another and waiting on 1 more to calve before i go to bed

Thought you said no more for a few days :P

Thought you said no more for a few days :P
    shows you what i know

With a bit a luck she might come good for you :)
    would love to go to bed now but have a heifer sick.last one for two weeks then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭wiggy123

who the ai angus bull welton john

wiggy123 wrote: »
    who the ai angus bull welton john

RGZ . Wouldn't blame the bull tbh as we've never had a prob with him.Just a freak calf

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭wiggy123

ah ok...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭tanko

Does anyone try this crack of feeding cattle only at night so that they calve during the day. If so, does it actually work?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Mad4simmental

Dosnt work all the time but we often feed at 5/6pm and it pushes most calving to 6/7am, almost no calving from 9am bar the odd heifer.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭tanko

Dosnt work all the time but we often feed at 5/6pm and it pushes most calving to 6/7am, almost no calving from 9am bar the odd heifer.

Do you just feed them once a day?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Mad4simmental

tanko wrote: »
    Do you just feed them once a day?

Yes, generally they are out of grub for an hour or so before feeding so they are hungry but not starving. They have a huge feed and stretch out god the night.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭RightTurnClyde

tanko wrote: »
    Does anyone try this crack of feeding cattle only at night so that they calve during the day. If so, does it actually work?

Cows locked away from silage onto straw bed at 9am and gate opened again at 7pm everyday. Most of them are calving 6-10am and 5-7pm with a few during the day. Only a couple have calved during the dead of night. Working great here so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,278 ✭✭✭frazzledhome

Fairly flat out here and will be for next 2 wks.

24 calved in the last 24 hrs with 6 while in bed/couch last night.

84% of the heifers are calved at this stage 10 more soon and 3 wks till the last of them, may sell these.

3 tankers at slurry yesterday, de horned 40 calves and dosed all weanlings. Half these are on grass full time and were going through yard being moved so dosed. The ones in the shed only went in on 9/1/15 so were dosed. Was going to weigh but time was against us as had young lads party to boot

Oh and a cow with ecoli, vetcalled all well this am

All under control here this am and heading to lads rugby till lunch

Have to love spring and the brighter mornings. 40 birthday to attend tonight, may have a different view tomorrow am:(

Fairly flat out here and will be for next 2 wks.

24 calved in the last 24 hrs with 6 while in bed/couch last night.

84% of the heifers are calved at this stage 10 more soon and 3 wks till the last of them, may sell these.

3 tankers at slurry yesterday, de horned 40 calves and dosed all weanlings. Half these are on grass full time and were going through yard being moved so dosed. The ones in the shed only went in on 9/1/15 so were dosed. Was going to weigh but time was against us as had young lads party to boot

Oh and a cow with ecoli, vetcalled all well this am

All under control here this am and heading to lads rugby till lunch

Have to love spring and the brighter mornings. 40 birthday to attend tonight, may have a different view tomorrow am:(

Jaysus I'm just tired reading that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,278 ✭✭✭frazzledhome

Jaysus I'm just tired reading that

Coffee and nicotine and I'm not alone, great help

• Advertisement

Coffee and nicotine and I'm not alone, great help

Ah that student with ya

Advertisement