Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When Calving Starting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,400 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

8 out of the last 9, or 11 out of the last 13 are bulls. Grrrrrrrrr!!! Thought I had a lot bulls last yr, this yr is worse.

This might suit ya so :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

Got it in the vein tonight first try.
    Making attempts to get up.
    No grip in pen where she is to try get up

Epic fail here, so bad in fact that half way through watching that the roar came "put away that f'n thing and get me the flutter valve" the cow had moved and the oul boy had her stuck in the milk vein. He went off and left me at it. By the time I had the fence moved the cow was heading out the gap of the paddock. Hadn't a concern in the world about her turning her out this morning but she was down and shivering when I went for the cows this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭Deepsouthwest

13 out of the last 16 calves here are bulls, grrrrrrrr! Had majority bulls last yr too, due a change in fortune!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,360 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

13 out of the last 16 calves here are bulls, grrrrrrrr! Had majority bulls last yr too, due a change in fortune!
    load of buls here too, place full of fr bull calves waiting bvd results

• Registered Users Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭RightTurnClyde

2 weeks in now and have 50% done. Don't know my ar*e from my elbow, averaging nearly 6 a day, worst (best) day was 14 in the one day.Assisted 4 heifers calving, all the rest working away themselves, lost one calf backwards and one calves in the cubicles, lost him to scraper. By and large so far so good. A slowdown coming in a few days I'd say

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭Brown Podzol

Two heifers in the last fifteen, and one of them is a half twin to a bull.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭Milked out

Came out this morning to a PHC heifer from a cow and the first aa from the clean up bull bought last year, heifer calved the aa on her own no bother and cleaned after she was milked so happy enough. You.d always be anxious till u see the calves on the ground and cows up after a new bull

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭onyerbikepat

First cow calved today. Didn't have the calving pen ready so let cow out into field last night. Calf obliged by drinking cow just as I walked up to her after work this evening. Didn't fancy getting cow into the crush. She's a little mad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭Greengrass1

I remember freedom saying a goid few times that he spends a lot of time just standing with his heifers during summer.
    Started doing that this yr with calves and heifers this yr.
    Must say haven't had one bit of trouble with any of them.
    Been able to hand milk most if them when they calve

2 yad heifer calves this evening, nice calves

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,278 ✭✭✭frazzledhome

I remember freedom saying a goid few times that he spends a lot of time just standing with his heifers during summer.
    Started doing that this yr with calves and heifers this yr.
    Must say haven't had one bit of trouble with any of them.
    Been able to hand milk most if them when they calve

Makes a huge difference. Let them sniff you and in no time they'll follow you from paddock to paddock. A lot easier than driving cattle

• Registered Users Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭RightTurnClyde

Makes a huge difference. Let them sniff you and in no time they'll follow you from paddock to paddock. A lot easier than driving cattle

That used to work back in my nightclubbing days aswell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭onyerbikepat

You can let a mad red limousine sniff you all you like, she'll still go for you when she calves.:D Some are just beyond redemption.

You brought cows to the nightclub :eek:

Last yrs calves are pure pets everyone of them will come up and scratch off me or try push me over.
    Hope there not going to be nightmares in the parlour next yr

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Have had the springing heifers in the calving pen right beside the parlour, they get put through the parlour every 2nd day, all been very tame to milk so far!

Last yrs calves are pure pets everyone of them will come up and scratch off me or try push me over.
    Hope there not going to be nightmares in the parlour next yr

The fun comes out of it went they are 600kgs tho

• Registered Users Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭Deepsouthwest

2 weeks in now and have 50% done. Don't know my ar*e from my elbow, averaging nearly 6 a day, worst (best) day was 14 in the one day.Assisted 4 heifers calving, all the rest working away themselves, lost one calf backwards and one calves in the cubicles, lost him to scraper. By and large so far so good. A slowdown coming in a few days I'd say

Wow, that sounds v busy, have u much help to get u through it?

2 more heifer calves today.
    Had a pen of calves a tad off form Sunday so went with lectade and noridine, 2 not so good today so got vet out, feckin crypto all I need now. Will be spending half the day getting fluids in to them now for the next while. Got halacur for the rest and the ones landing so hopefully will control it some bit

waiting on vet have a cow with a twisted womb, cant get my hand into her at all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

You can let a mad red limousine sniff you all you like, she'll still go for you when she calves.:D Some are just beyond redemption.

I had a springer there last year that was a bit slow calving and very quiet so I handled her out in the field to make sure everything was coming right. Thought it was a bit tight so said I'd bring her into the pen and pull the calf there. All went well anyway, she walked in as quiet as a mouse for me and I pulled the calf without too much bother but when she took one sniff of the calf all she had in her head is that she was going to kill me. I hopped the gate and stood outside it and she spent a few minutes lacing the gate until I left her. Like you said some are just beyond redemption.

whelan2 wrote: »
    waiting on vet have a cow with a twisted womb, cant get my hand into her at all
    section, live calf and alot of bleeding

• Registered Users Posts: 11,152 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

67% calved today ,3 weeks in .hate saying it but everything going swimmingly,2 sets of twins(both bull heifer)both cows cleaned fine and comming along nicely.no issues with cows holding cleanings or milk fever etc.calves flying and healthy and for a change this year 78% heifers to Bulls .slow down comming now and time to recharge the batteries after 3 hectic but fulfilling weeks.90% will be calved by March 25 and should be fully done by 15 April according to records.cows out full time and only nibbling at wholecrop and wraps offered at night.maidens off today ,tails clipped and first bvd shot given

mahoney_j wrote: »
    67% calved today ,3 weeks in .hate saying it but everything going swimmingly,2 sets of twins(both bull heifer)both cows cleaned fine and comming along nicely.no issues with cows holding cleanings or milk fever etc.calves flying and healthy and for a change this year 78% heifers to Bulls .slow down comming now and time to recharge the batteries after 3 hectic but fulfilling weeks.90% will be calved by March 25 and should be fully done by 15 April according to records.cows out full time and only nibbling at wholecrop and wraps offered at night.maidens off today ,tails clipped and first bvd shot given
    Happy days

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭trixi2011

section, live calf and alot of bleeding

had a twisted uterus here the other day as well vet has able to twist it back but the calve was dead and hard to get out, takes a lot out of the cow

Milked out wrote: »
    2 more heifer calves today.
    Had a pen of calves a tad off form Sunday so went with lectade and noridine, 2 not so good today so got vet out, feckin crypto all I need now. Will be spending half the day getting fluids in to them now for the next while. Got halacur for the rest and the ones landing so hopefully will control it some bit

After having a bout of scour here last few days. Nothing really sick just needed to reduce milk and give life aid after diner.
    Will keep it up for a few more days. Creates a lot more work

trixi2011 wrote: »
    had a twisted uterus here the other day as well vet has able to twist it back but the calve was dead and hard to get out, takes a lot out of the cow
    calf was too big to turn, options where to roll the cow or section, there was already mecconium in there so section was best option.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭trixi2011

calf was too big to turn, options where to roll the cow or section, there was already mecconium in there so section was best option.
    hopefully your cow pulls through after the op did she have a heifer calf in the end, ours is still looking shook 3 days after getting the calf out filled her up with drugs so hopefully they will sort her out

massive fr bull-yad- vet thought it was a blue. cow is licking it now so hopefully it will be ok, serious bleeding though, eldest lad got a real eye opener

• Advertisement

After having a bout of scour here last few days. Nothing really sick just needed to reduce milk and give life aid after diner.
    Will keep it up for a few more days. Creates a lot more work

Yeah they take a lot of minding and time which is scarce at the moment. , once a scour is spotted if u get in straight away with electrolytes it normally sorts them, this crypto is a ****er tho.
    Anyway another fr heifer just landed and fed, mite be one more 2moro and then there should be a bit of a break, I'll need it if just to get a bit of sleep

Advertisement