Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When Calving Starting

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,278 ✭✭✭frazzledhome

Reggie. wrote: »
    Ah that student with ya

No student and not for a while again. Messed around too much last year

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭CallofGuti

Six down this week, 30 to go before May. All happy and healthy thank god.

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭john mayo 10

First cow calfed this morning at 3. Time was just up. She had a bull calf by PIO. She is a black SIX cow herself. All was well amd off to bed a 4 bells. Checked on her at 8 and feck me there were 2 calfs in the pen with her. Second calf was only born bout an hour. Another bull. Never seen them to calf twins so far apart before. All is well. Thank god.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭stanflt

And so the fun starts-

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Cow Porter

stanflt wrote: »
    And so the fun starts-

Fixed time ai? What programme did you use

• Advertisement

Cow Porter wrote: »
    Fixed time ai? What programme did you use

Gnrh- cidr - day 7 pg- day 10 gnrh- day 11 ai

• Registered Users Posts: 2,417 ✭✭✭High bike

First one Fri ngt smashing sim heifer,then Sat morning 2nd one another sim heifer and 2hrs later her twin sister ,2 nice calves but cow doesn't want to know bout the 2nd one.Any ideas on how best to get her to take the 2nd calf?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

High bike wrote: »
    First one Fri ngt smashing sim heifer,then Sat morning 2nd one another sim heifer and 2hrs later her twin sister ,2 nice calves but cow doesn't want to know bout the 2nd one.Any ideas on how best to get her to take the 2nd calf?

It'll take hard graft! I'm guessing they're inside?
    Split the cow from both calves and only feed her when it's time to let them in to her to suck. Try and let the one she doesn't like suckle behind the other one so she can't see it.

If she's wild, time for the crush and even more hard graft!

You could also try leaving a coat/cover on the calf she's accepted and turning it inside out and putting it on other calf at sucking time so it smells like the other.

If all fails, suck calves are a good trade!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Mad4simmental

Cover the second calf in salt a good bit of it. She will lick it off and start to form a bond. Had a few heifers this year that wasn't too keen to take to the calf and this worked for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,360 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

heifer had aa twin calves both dead, she had feck all springing , a few weeks early in dry cow shed, hate twins, thats the 3rd set so far this year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,152 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

stanflt wrote: »
    And so the fun starts-

Crash helmet,body armour and an ass load of patience required for next 3 weeks so stan!!

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Nettleman

whelan2 wrote: »
    heifer had aa twin calves both dead, she had feck all springing , a few weeks early in dry cow shed, hate twins, thats the 3rd set so far this year
    Sorry to hear that Whelan2-how early was she? For myself I was wondering would there be any advantage to getting the vet out to handle mine which scanned with twins back in August? Shes starting to expand at sides-but no springing yet:confused:

Nettleman wrote: »
    Sorry to hear that Whelan2-how early was she? For myself I was wondering would there be any advantage to getting the vet out to handle mine which scanned with twins back in August? Shes starting to expand at sides-but no springing yet:confused:
    about 3 weeks early, i was looking at her yesterday and saying her belly was very big

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

mahoney_j wrote: »
    Crash helmet,body armour and an ass load of patience required for next 3 weeks so stan!!

Had the 1st real stubborn fcuker in the parlour yday, every possible way of avoiding being milked she has found it, kicking like crazy, climbing up on the mangers , turning around, squeezing inside other cows. Can't wait to get outa this parlour also, will hopefully solve some of these problems!

Timmaay wrote: »
    Had the 1st real stubborn fcuker in the parlour yday, every possible way of avoiding being milked she has found it, kicking like crazy, climbing up on the mangers , turning around, squeezing inside other cows. Can't wait to get outa this parlour also, will hopefully solve some of these problems!
    accidentally let one fecker out with the jump lead clamp on her tail, she still had it on at the next milking and hasnt kicked since

• Registered Users Posts: 24,400 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

whelan2 wrote: »

It can only get better whelan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭Greengrass1

Came home to be created by vet in yard.
    First time I ever remember vet having to calve a cow for us.
    Calf had head back and no way could dad straigjen it.
    Calf was dead cow down with milk fever also

• Registered Users Posts: 2,417 ✭✭✭High bike

Cover the second calf in salt a good bit of it. She will lick it off and start to form a bond. Had a few heifers this year that wasn't too keen to take to the calf and this worked for us.

All going well this evening after a lot of hardship and a bucket of Dairy Nuts and a Drum of salt,thanks for the tips

• Registered Users Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭Deepsouthwest

Put in a cow to calve earlier, came back 45 mins later and cow had calved, but calf dead(a heifer of course). Unusually, both the calves eyes were a light grey/whitish colour, haven't seen this before. Because of this I'm assuming the calf was stillborn, or would lack of oxygen during birth have caused the eyes to change like this? Confused?

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭Coonagh

Was always told that if the eyes were cloudy/white calf has been dead a while

• Advertisement

Coonagh wrote: »
    Was always told that if the eyes were cloudy/white calf has been dead a while

Yeah, I thought the same, but this calf perfect in every other way. And cow made a proper springing

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭visatorro

Yeah, I thought the same, but this calf perfect in every other way. And cow made a proper springing

could be dead twelve hours, so vet reckons anyway. needed help with heifer, both legs were down. I couldn't get one of them. got calf out
    .eyes dull and grey. vet said dead a while,

visatorro wrote: »
    could be dead twelve hours, so vet reckons anyway. needed help with heifer, both legs were down. I couldn't get one of them. got calf out
    .eyes dull and grey. vet said dead a while,

V annoying, a lot of Bulls here this yr, and then this to a heifer. Would feel a lot worse if I found her dead in the cubicles tomo morning after staying in bed all night, couldn't do anything about this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

V annoying, a lot of Bulls here this yr, and then this to a heifer. Would feel a lot worse if I found her dead in the cubicles tomo morning after staying in bed all night, couldn't do anything about this one.

First loss of the spring here just now. Heifer calf, full term. Put cow in calving box around six, felt she was started but no real urgency. Went back to check a 9.30 toes out. Got the ropes and a clamp and pulled the calf by hand in a few seconds fully ready to come. No stir from the calf, navel cord pulled out of torso. Hard to know if I'd been there sooner would it have made a difference.

First loss of the spring here just now. Heifer calf, full term. Put cow in calving box around six, felt she was started but no real urgency. Went back to check a 9.30 toes out. Got the ropes and a clamp and pulled the calf by hand in a few seconds fully ready to come. No stir from the calf, navel cord pulled out of torso. Hard to know if I'd been there sooner would it have made a difference.

That one would really bug me, couldn't help thinking what if I'd been there sooner etc, and then the nxt day I'd forget about it and move on.

6 fr Bulls off to be genotyped this am,fingers crossed something comes up trumps.5 to ncbc and 1 to dovea

6 fr Bulls off to be genotyped this am,fingers crossed something comes up trumps.5 to ncbc and 1 to dovea

What kind of ebi's?

What kind of ebi's?

Predicted 290 to 320 ,genotyping will either increase or decrease it

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭tanko

What kind of money would AI companies pay for dairy bulls?

• Advertisement

Predicted 290 to 320 ,genotyping will either increase or decrease it

32 sent so far between 2 comp- highest back at 345 so no joy- I've some fair good stock bulls though

Advertisement