Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When Calving Starting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭arctic8dave

Think I might've seen these stats on another form of networking site this evening!

Saw that too funny that same name as me and all:O

• Registered Users Posts: 29,227 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

set of ksk sexed twins -heifers:), 25% calved now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭Milked out

whelan2 wrote: »

Have 7 or 8 heifers off him so far this year hopefully they perform, nice calves I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,383 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Do the lotto tonight ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭trixi2011

Reggie. wrote: »
    Nope my brother in law is calving 600 FR the next few weeks. All the calves are going to cork diary farmers to drink milk. The truck comes up twice a week for the calves. He was selling the bull calves for a €5 a head last year and if ya bought over 10 he threw in a few extra but now he is getting €60 a head.
    If you want to come across the water you could have a load of friesin bull calves for free about 10 a day no market for them over here at all

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,506 ✭✭✭Dawggone

trixi2011 wrote: »
    If you want to come across the water you could have a load of friesin bull calves for free about 10 a day no market for them over here at all

Ditto. Bulls 15 days = € 35

• Registered Users Posts: 24,383 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

trixi2011 wrote: »

As tempting as that is

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭Coonagh

50% calved as of today a lot of heifers this year so that has helped a lot. It's been a hectic couple of weeks but great to hit that milestone nonetheless. Weather making things very manageable at the minute.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,278 ✭✭✭frazzledhome

Coonagh wrote: »
    50% calved as of today a lot of heifers this year so that has helped a lot. It's been a hectic couple of weeks but great to hit that milestone nonetheless. Weather making things very manageable at the minute.

Bombing through heifers but cows really only starting now. A lot of heifers 2 wks early.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,551 ✭✭✭keep going

2nd calver down in the cubicle house this morning but she walked out when I lifted her.had a couple marks on her backfrom cubicles id say and I had noticed her a bit peaky condition wise a couple of weeks ago.watched her in the field and then it hit me ,f**king twins:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭sh1tstirrer

Bombing through heifers but cows really only starting now. A lot of heifers 2 wks early.
    I have one calving in a few hours 3 wks early.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,278 ✭✭✭frazzledhome

Spoke too soon. Cows bombing now one after another. Bord Bia man calved a heifer with me this morning :):)

Out in the yard tagging, tubing and snatching. Will head to the charger about 1 am should be ok till 5

Walking through calves and enjoying them some asleep and having dreams by the looks. Some feeding and some playing in their fresh beds and some just chilling.

Really lovely night to be out and about. This weather is making grazing out well really easy, anyone who can be out is giving the paddocks a great start for the year

Some of today's arrivals

Spoke too soon. Cows bombing now one after another. Bord Bia man calved a heifer with me this morning :):)

Out in the yard tagging, tubing and snatching. Will head to the charger about 1 am should be ok till 5

Walking through calves and enjoying them some asleep and having dreams by the looks. Some feeding and some playing in their fresh beds and some just chilling.

Really lovely night to be out and about. This weather is making grazing out well really easy, anyone who can be out is giving the paddocks a great start for the year

Some of today's arrivals

Happy calves there frazz, you feeding adlib? should be at 50% by tomorrow and they will prob start stretching out from the end of the week on here. Running 60/40 bulls to heifers at the mo but happy enough as had a good run of heifers on autumn side. got cows out this week trying to graze part of the wetter ground with strong covers and a couple of early spring calvers and an autumn repeat bulling not helping me in trying to mind the ground!

Another set of twins landed, heifer and bull. That's 4 now between autumn and spring hhopefully no more

Milked out wrote: »
    Another set of twins landed, heifer and bull. That's 4 now between autumn and spring hhopefully no more
    hows the cow doing that was operated on?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭Sami23

Is anyone using the lambs rubber rings to castrate their bull calves as was thinking of doing it this year myself ?

hows the cow doing that was operated on?

Doing ok thanks, eating a bit and looks better. Keeping her in on the mix during the day instead of grass where main herd are and on straw bed at nite. Thought she had mastitis in a quarter so tubed it but I'd say it's ok

Another set feckin landed 2 heifers one dead. Won't be leaving scanning so late this year anyway

Another set feckin landed 2 heifers one dead. Won't be leaving scanning so late this year anyway

Are they out of the same bull?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭Sami23

Sami23 wrote: »
    Is anyone using the lambs rubber rings to castrate their bull calves as was thinking of doing it this year myself ?

Anyone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭Deepsouthwest

Sami23 wrote: »
    Anyone

I know some people do, but in my opinion not a great job. I think bull calves mature better when they're left intact until they're older.

I know some people do, but in my opinion not a great job. I think bull calves mature better when they're left intact until they're older.
    I get the vet to band the bulls at over a year old, they do a lot of growing as bulls and the banding doesn't set them back.

I get the vet to band the bulls at over a year old, they do a lot of growing as bulls and the banding doesn't set them back.

Yes, but this guy is on about banding them as calves, as opposed to being casterated as yearlings like u and most other people do.

Are they out of the same bull?

1 set from PBM, one from mxz, two sets from HZB and dunno what the set in the autumn is from. Can't blame the ai man as I'd be blaming myself

Yes, but this guy is on about banding them as calves, as opposed to being casterated as yearlings like u and most other people do.
    I know what he is on about, I agreed with you that it's better leave them until they grow a bit. Do you think he'll band them as calves after that information?

I know what he is on about, I agreed with you that it's better leave them until they grow a bit. Do you think he'll band them as calves after that information?

I hope not!

had 1 calve in dry cow shed last night, i leave the scrapers off at night, looked into shed no calves, turned on scraper and there was a calf between the scraper and the wall at the back of the shed. Another fr bull, of course none of the 10 cows in the calving shed calved last night:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Mad4simmental

Helping a lad at the moment, 12 cows calved today in 4 hrs, one set of twins seckond one backwards, one with a leg down trying to shove the fecker back in was sum job. One old cow that would have gave more help at the bingo & one bitch that lay on her calf. What a fecken day. Cup of tea and a fag and it's bed for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭welton john

Helping a lad at the moment, 12 cows calved today in 4 hrs, one set of twins seckond one backwards, one with a leg down trying to shove the fecker back in was sum job. One old cow that would have gave more help at the bingo & one bitch that lay on her calf. What a fecken day. Cup of tea and a fag and it's bed for me.

one cow can fcuk the day up very quick
    similar one myself but a much smaller scale, 4 calved today, 2 heifers no problem but had a cow calve to easy ai lim, big pull as cow was hopeless & big calf.Just got a nice blue bull off dbz there.can or two of coors lite then bed

• Advertisement

8 out of the last 9, or 11 out of the last 13 are bulls. Grrrrrrrrr!!! Thought I had a lot bulls last yr, this yr is worse.

Advertisement