Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When Calving Starting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

Timmaay wrote: »
    And I'm under pressure with just 4 in the last day. All in different pens of course and one out in the field. Ran outa calf pens also, got to turf more bales out, all alongside trying to finish off the new parlour building, temporary holding yard, some dodgy fencing that the Milkers keep knocking over. Feeling like a real farmer again ha!
    I done that 7 years ago putting in parlour using pallets etc, wiring thr pulsation took me 2 days:-(, ill never go back to that hassle again, looking forward to a new parlour in 2-3years! Had a calf with a bleecing naval, luckyi was tagging calves and not playing soccer!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,278 ✭✭✭frazzledhome

of the first 8 cows that calved here... 4 had twins.... 3 of the 4 cows are flying it.... one cow however struggled and is still struggling.... she's an RUU.. so i aint giving up hope on her.... she for some reason is knuckling severely on her front legs.... have her on straw bed at min... lift her everyday for a while to see if there is an improvement... i think she might be improving a bit.. but lord it will be slow carry on if she is to see the parlour again...

Couple of bottles of Calcium may help.
    You know the vets rule in Spring "if its down give calcium"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭Greengrass1

And I'm under pressure with just 4 in the last day. All in different pens of course and one out in the field. Ran outa calf pens also, got to turf more bales out, all alongside trying to finish off the new parlour building, temporary holding yard, some dodgy fencing that the Milkers keep knocking over. Feeling like a real farmer again ha!
    Turf out the cows next milking Tim or as soon as they calve if you need the pen.
    Cows here are at grass so any fresh ones go off with them the next day.
    Any cow I think is dodgey stays in big shed on straw
    This cow with milk fever won't go with them for a good few days when she gets up

• Registered Users Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭awaywithyou

Couple of bottles of Calcium may help.
    You know the vets rule in Spring "if its down give calcium"

two bottles of calcium... bottle of magnesium... no joy... blood test.. low in magnesium.. 2 magnesium boluses gone into her this wk.,... we'll try patience and perseverance!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,506 ✭✭✭Dawggone

3 dead deformed calves today.
    Jeez one of the calves looked gruesome!

Might post up a photo. Looked like its head grew inside out.

4 live calves too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭arctic8dave

39 to calve here 32 calved started jan 6. 80% in 5 weeks I'm well pleased with that and no major problems or late nighters either!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Turf out the cows next milking Tim or as soon as they calve if you need the pen.

I'm shy pens for the calves themselves. Always an afterthought, slap a few gates up around the straw shed, but straw in the way still.

http://youtu.be/UF0nts2vAv4
    Very good video on finding jugular vein for novices

Got it in the vein tonight first try.
    Making attempts to get up.
    No grip in pen where she is to try get up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭Milked out

Got it in the vein tonight first try.
    Making attempts to get up.
    No grip in pen where she is to try get up

Be careful she doesn't strain herself , if she is struggling all the time best job would be to put her out straight away where she will have grip, it's when they keep trying but can't get up is when they hurt their backs I think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭Milked out

Milked out wrote: »
    Let her back in with the calves the day after she calved as she hadn't cleaned, she appeared to be chewing the cud yday then but was lying down most of the day but when I got her up to the barrier she didnt bother eating and looked sorry for herself so I suspected then . Got the vet out then and he said he heard the pings in a larger area than normal for an LDA so he'll listen again 2moro and the then operate but pretty sure it is. He said it seemed a bit soon alrite but it has happened b4.

Did the op while ago, there was alot of gas in it and it had went right up to the top hence the pings in the bigger area, all went ok so hopefully she be right in a few days. She could have had worse things wrong with her I guess

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Mad4simmental

Milked out wrote: »
    Did the op while ago, there was alot of gas in it and it had went right up to the top hence the pings in the bigger area, all went ok so hopefully she be right in a few days. She could have had worse things wrong with her I guess

Could you hear the pings fairly clearly?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,136 ✭✭✭visatorro

First out of 20 calved. Calved since yesterday after noon. Was fine at 3am On her back at 7 Got calcium into her then. Couldn't find vein in neck. Still down

could you not put the needle into milk vein under neath them?. new vet here recommends one bottle into the vein and another just under the skin.

visatorro wrote: »
    could you not put the needle into milk vein under neath them?. new vet here recommends one bottle into the vein and another just under the skin.

Dad doesn't like to do it
    Pick my fights, won't argue over stuff like that.
    Learnt how to get it into the vein in neck now so should be okay from now on

Happy days cow is up
    Bottle in vein did the job.
    Another bloody bull calf too

• Registered Users Posts: 24,383 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Hear alot of calves are heading to cork. It's usually the other way. Jersey bull calf's are getting €60 a head

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭mf240

Reggie. wrote: »
    Hear alot of calves are heading to cork. It's usually the other way. Jersey bull calf's are getting €60 a head

Cork jerseys are 60 each?? Are they hurling or football jerseys???

mf240 wrote: »
    Cork jerseys are 60 each?? Are they hurling or football jerseys???

Nope my brother in law is calving 600 FR the next few weeks. All the calves are going to cork diary farmers to drink milk. The truck comes up twice a week for the calves. He was selling the bull calves for a €5 a head last year and if ya bought over 10 he threw in a few extra but now he is getting €60 a head.

Mf how's the tomcat this year, he ready for round 2 with the SL? At least no more ad lib milk for him after April with quotas gone!

Taking a load to the mart this week. Parasites calling every day on phone looking for calves. Told them I'm only selling in the mart.

They tried to bull us last yr when calves were cheap, this yr the boot is on the other foot and I'm going to use it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭Deepsouthwest

She could milk but she's already on the B team, she's just sealed it with twins. We don't keep cows that have twins as a rule.

That sounds a bit ott to me. I know it's not ideal, but a lot of cows are fine after twins. Admittedly a lot of jx used here, but still. A cow with twins here a couple of days ago,cleaned straight away. I'd be v surprised if she didn't go back in calf again for nxt feb or March.

• Advertisement

Taking a load to the mart this week. Parasites calling every day on phone looking for calves. Told them I'm only selling in the mart.

They tried to bull us last yr when calves were cheap, this yr the boot is on the other foot and I'm going to use it

Unfortunately I'm on the receiving end of that boot but your bang on. The dealers are causing mayhem on farms around the midlands driving prices up needlessly.

Are you sure there jex?

Are you sure there jex?

Most certainly

Unfortunately I'm on the receiving end of that boot but your bang on. The dealers are causing mayhem on farms around the midlands driving prices up needlessly.

Shippers will be priced out, anyone free for a blockade at a meat plant in 2 yrs

These guys Would be much better off treating farmers better in bad price yrs, not in their nature. Scorpion and the turtle :)

Shippers will be priced out, anyone free for a blockade at a meat plant in 2 yrs

These guys Would be much better off treating farmers better in bad price yrs, not in their nature. Scorpion and the snake:)

As you said we will be full circle in two years time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Mad4simmental

Ffs if lads are paying that for jex calves they deserve to loose their bag on them for out bidding exporters. Problim is they drag everyone elce down with them.

Anyone hazard the sums on this? Buy a calf for 60quid, feed him worthless SL milk until end of March (call it 7wks), and then either sell on immediately (to whom, and for what price), or carry them until housing and flog them then, what price will ya get then? Anyways who am I to be complaining, 3 bull calves here who will be out the door once cards have come!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭mf240

Mf how's the tomcat this year, he ready for round 2 with the SL? At least no more ad lib milk for him after April with quotas gone!

Ya the hair on his arse is almost fully grown back at this stage.

Think the poor auld cnut is lactose intolerant:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭Deepsouthwest

39 to calve here 32 calved started jan 6. 80% in 5 weeks I'm well pleased with that and no major problems or late nighters either!!!!

Think I might've seen these stats on another form of networking site this evening!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,136 ✭✭✭visatorro

make hay when the sun shines. it's definitely not every year a 'by product ' is worth something.

Advertisement