Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When Calving Starting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,111 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Kicked off today 2 cows and one heifer,2 jkf and one abo heifer calves .all calved unassisted,calves up and fed themselves and all 3 have cleaned.great start and hope it continues.heifer calved 9 days before due date

• Registered Users Posts: 3,136 ✭✭✭visatorro

mahoney_j wrote: »
    Kicked off today 2 cows and one heifer,2 jkf and one abo heifer calves .all calved unassisted,calves up and fed themselves and all 3 have cleaned.great start and hope it continues.heifer calved 9 days before due date

do you remember how to turn on the milking machine!!!

visatorro wrote: »
    do you remember how to turn on the milking machine!!!

What's a milking machine ted???,first milking tomorrow ,hope I remember how all the gadgets work!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭Greengrass1

SSJ heifer from a STX cow
    305 day yeild 5634l
    468kgs ms

• Registered Users Posts: 29,227 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

hurt my back calving a cow last night, she never opened up and was very tight, used jack, got calf out alive-fr bull. I am like a 90 year old today, hope I dont have to do too much today:(

• Advertisement

9 calved,9 heifer calves,calving ropes and jack untouched all cleaned perfect and in milk.heifers by ksk ,abo and jkf I'm saying no more and long may this run continue!!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,383 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

9 calved,9 heifer calves,calving ropes and jack untouched all cleaned perfect and in milk.heifers by ksk ,abo and jkf I'm saying no more and long may this run continue!!

Don't jinx it lad

• Registered Users Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭Deepsouthwest

Wow, what a start. I think they generally even out over a few yrs, but it's always great to get the burst of heifers early in the yr. Nothing here yet, another few days and the dam will burst I'd say!

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭Coonagh

Had three calvings by jkf, they are big calves!!! What sort were yours Mahoney?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Coonagh wrote: »

His calving score rocketed last yr which is the downside of unproven bulls, however I've had 3 sexed heifers by him here and no problems with calving at all.

• Advertisement

I had an OCP heifer this morning from a LHZ first calvers. Heifer looks to have lots of milk

Coonagh wrote: »

Decent sized calves,all calved unaided and 3 from heifers.only bull ive had a bit of trouble with over last few years was lhz.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭A cow called Daisy

Started about an hour ago. An AA out of M.O.B (My Own Bull)
    No hassle and calf up and sucking. Just hope rest don't decide to calve at 4 in morning. Now do I stay up or back to bed.:confused:
    Grand morning but cold.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,278 ✭✭✭frazzledhome

Well and truly kicking off here. 9 heifers calved since midnight, 1 assist leg back.

3 in pens with water bags out, lovinit

Well and truly kicking off here. 9 heifers calved since midnight, 1 assist leg back.

Jaysus that's some going

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,506 ✭✭✭Dawggone

Do you have someone looking after them by night?

Came out this morning this lady had calved. A bull :( would love a heifer out of her. 6k litre last yr off 500kg meal.
    And she just spat out the second calf as I was looking.
    3rd yr in a row having twins and always bulls to heifers

• Registered Users Posts: 29,227 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Came out this morning this lady had calved. A bull :( would love a heifer out of her. 6k litre last yr off 500kg meal.
    And she just spat out the second calf as I was looking.
    3rd yr in a row having twins and always bulls to heifers
    would you chance sexed semen on her?

whelan2 wrote: »
    would you chance sexed semen on her?

Not sure I had thought about it but I'm trying to tighten up calving pattern a lot more and don't want to mess up all the progress we've made inn last 3 yrs

Reggie. wrote: »
    Jaysus that's some going

That's only a warm up, 50% of herd due to calve in the next 2 wks

Most important man here is lad snatching calves to cal pens as they calve. Tag, snatch and tube then repeat:):)

• Advertisement

8 heifers calves from the 10 cows calved so far, sexed working nicely so far.

Not sure I had thought about it but I'm trying to tighten up calving pattern a lot more and don't want to mess up all the progress we've made inn last 3 yrs

The odd few sexed straws on your most fertile cows won't mess up your calving pattern, if it's a good cow who almost always holds to the 1st serve well worth the risk.

Timmaay wrote: »
    The odd few sexed straws on your most fertile cows won't mess up your calving pattern, if it's a good cow who almost always holds to the 1st serve well worth the risk.

17 fr heifers and 1 bb bull from 18 calvings so far.5 days in and I already have more heifer calves than whole of last year already.lovely red ksk calf there now.no sexed semen and heifers cAlving a 5 to 10 days before due date

Dawggone wrote: »
    Do you have someone looking after them by night?

There are 2 full time here. We have a contract milker who had surgery last Oct and is back to work Tomorrow.

We have a yard man (his words) taken on for calving. He works 8 to 6 5 days a week. We also have a young lad we can call on

For calving we do nights ourselves with yard man doing 1 per week. Feed near calvers at midnight and head to bed if nothing is calving. Back in yard a 5.30, very few night calvings.

Well set up with a large straw bedded shed that holds 60 cows near calving. A few headlock gates with all kit to hand.

Last year we were nearly dead moving cows, spent money on 10 well positioned and HUNG gates so now moving or drafting a cow is a one man job day or night.

17 fr heifers and 1 bb bull from 18 calvings so far.5 days in and I already have more heifer calves than whole of last year already.lovely red ksk calf there now.no sexed semen and heifers cAlving a 5 to 10 days before due date

It's balancing out over 2yrs basically so?

There are 2 full time here. We have a contract milker who had surgery last Oct and is back to work Tomorrow.

We have a yard man (his words) taken on for calving. He works 8 to 6 5 days a week. We also have a young lad we can call on

For calving we do nights ourselves with yard man doing 1 per week. Feed near calvers at midnight and head to bed if nothing is calving. Back in yard a 5.30, very few night calvings.

Well set up with a large straw bedded shed that holds 60 cows near calving. A few headlock gates with all kit to hand.

Last year we were nearly dead moving cows, spent money on 10 well positioned and HUNG so now moving or drafting a cow is a one man job day or night.

A proper setup is a life saver

Reggie. wrote: »
    A proper setup is a life saver

I know that now, Ffs we were killing ourselves and each other up to this. Myself and my 9yo can actually put all stock through the footbath on our own between him finishing school and milking each Friday

I know that now, Ffs we were killing ourselves and each other up to this. Myself and my 9yo can actually put all stock through the footbath on our own between him finishing school and milking each Friday

Yeah if I could only get that across here

Timmaay wrote: »
    It's balancing out over 2yrs basically so?

13 from 56 fr calves last year.usually anywhere from 30 to 50 % heifers never had a run like this though

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,551 ✭✭✭keep going

Last year we were nearly dead moving cows, spent money on 10 well positioned and HUNG gates so now moving or drafting a cow is a one man job day or night.
    started this morning,came backwards and she was over fat so I jacked as she wouldn't settle for me and got a chance to test my little setup and it worked at treat,milked her with my bucket and stomach tubed him in no time,pity the shuff bottles don't hold another 1/2 litre.only problem parlour not finished but a couple of days will have us there............hopefully.got to go another just landed

Advertisement