Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When Calving Starting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭tanko

RD10 wrote: »
    God i'd never have guessed ur lady was carrying twins! Just goes to show u cant really tell just by looking.

True, she's always outwintered and only goes into the shed for calving so that keeps her fit I suppose. She wouldn't manage on slats anyway and had 8 calves by the time she was five. The scanner says it's only one calf next year but I'm not sure about that. This is the after pic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭farawaygrass

Kovu wrote: »
    Pinch her skin just behind the top of the front leg, the tautness there should be a good judge. Plus if her hair is very dry along the back.
    That's the gauge I use for twins anyway, along with calf moving on the wrong side.
    So if you can't fold the skin you thick it could be a sign of twins?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

So if you can't fold the skin you thick it could be a sign of twins?

Something like that, it should be loose enough to get a couple of inches between finger and thumb. If it's quite tight and you find it hard to get an 'inch to pinch' so to speak, it could be twins. Couple that with losing condition on the back and dry hair and it'd be nearly a cert for a double.

Nobody else ever heard of this? No...?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭Miname

Something like that, it should be loose enough to get a couple of inches between finger and thumb. If it's quite tight and you find it hard to get an 'inch to pinch' so to speak, it could be twins. Couple that with losing condition on the back and dry hair and it'd be nearly a cert for a double.

Nobody else ever heard of this? No...?
    Never heard of the pinch but did about the back. I'd always be watching them for a loss of condition in general and it hasn't been too far wrong so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭RD10

tanko wrote: »
    True, she's always outwintered and only goes into the shed for calving so that keeps her fit I suppose. She wouldn't manage on slats anyway and had 8 calves by the time she was five. The scanner says it's only one calf next year but I'm not sure about that. This is the after pic.

Jes there nice sized calves too. Hard to believe the two of them came from in there!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭RD10

Just as i taught. Twins this evening! Calved herself. All well thank god.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,583 ✭✭✭jaymla627

Lovely start to calving here, lovely twin blue calves stone dead this morning, cow 4 weeks early and was scanned with a single calf, she calved early last year with twins too...
    Thought she was a bit off last night so put her in calving pen last night at 12 out this morning at 6 with one calf calved dead, went milking and when i went to put her into parlour two more feet where out got him out dead aswell.....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,453 ✭✭✭stanflt

Two more heifers last night an lwr and a gzy- that's 10 calves in last 3 days

First calves still not due till 15jan

5 heifers 5 bulls so far

• Registered Users Posts: 11,149 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

stanflt wrote: »
    Two more heifers last night an lwr and a gzy- that's 10 calves in last 3 days

First calves still not due till 15jan

5 heifers 5 bulls so far
    Is gzy bringing fairly big calves Stan??,have 4/5 calves coming by him and hearing there on the big side

• Registered Users Posts: 4,453 ✭✭✭stanflt

mahoney_j wrote: »
    Is gzy bringing fairly big calves Stan??,have 4/5 calves coming by him and hearing there on the big side

Nah nothing out of the ordinary- all calves unassisted
    Had 30born last year mostly off heifers and no problems

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

Heifer jumping the fun by a couple of weeks here this morning. Can't make up my mind whether it's an immaculate conception or just early. Only service date she has is 14/04.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,357 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

1st calf today fr heifer out of an ABO heifer

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

No sign of much here yet, earliest icbf expected date is Feb 1st, won't be much before that. Does anyone know if the icbf predicted dates take into consideration the bull gestation length?

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭degetme

whelan2 wrote: »
    1st calf today fr heifer out of an ABO heifer

When did you start ai? Started 16th of april every year past few years and calving 16th 17th Jan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭djmc

Today as well holiday over for another 10 months.

degetme wrote: »
    When did you start ai? Started 16th of april every year past few years and calving 16th 17th Jan.
    fr bull went into heifers on 10th april , didnt start ai on cows until around 20th, few cows springing up

djmc wrote: »
    Today as well holiday over for another 10 months.
    Still have to powerwash rest of calving pens , hope to finish them tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭stretch film

1st here today , 1st calver served 21/4 had a heifer calf by s1311 .
    Heifer obliged me with enough beistings which the calf duly polished off. Handy..

Heifer is by PCG campaigner (lic) , anyone milking any?.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭Milked out

4 heifers calved last few days. Not a great start, one with paralysis, and one just had a dead set of twins both came backwards first calf with legs down. Had to get vet out to give epidural as with pushing couldn't get legs out. Have the other 3 calves under the one with paralysis she is getting up with shackles but I will let her out to a field if it ever dries up and leave her soak up.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭howdee

Have one heifer calved here 2 weeks early, had a leg down but got him out ok. Should have nothin for a week now.

• Advertisement

Milked out wrote: »
    4 heifers calved last few days. Not a great start, one with paralysis, and one just had a dead set of twins both came backwards first calf with legs down. Had to get vet out to give epidural as with pushing couldn't get legs out. Have the other 3 calves under the one with paralysis she is getting up with shackles but I will let her out to a field if it ever dries up and leave her soak up.

You're right into the thick of it so. Took out another 4 Springer's there now. Let heifers through parlour this morning to get them used to it only 1 point blank refusal

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

whelan2 wrote: »
    You're right into the thick of it so. Took out another 4 Springer's there now. Let heifers through parlour this morning to get them used to it only 1 point blank refusal

Having had my heifers through the parlour 4times since bring them back to the home block in Nov, use the parlour and main crush to separate and dose all animals now. That 250m of lane way linking both yards and all lane ways is well and truly paying back for itself.

First Belgian blue calf landed just their now, first time I've been happy to have a bull in three years has been all dairy Ai the past 3 seasons, will be a nice little boast to cash flow with the year that's in it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,506 ✭✭✭Dawggone

Have a few cows in a loose pen for calving. Went out this morning thinking that 5 or 6 of them would be calved. Nothing. Went around kicking straw looking for calves...nothing.

There will be 7 of them calved by lunch time...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

Dawggone wrote: »
    Have a few cows in a loose pen for calving. Went out this morning thinking that 5 or 6 of them would be calved. Nothing. Went around kicking straw looking for calves...nothing.

There will be 7 of them calved by lunch time...

When one makes up her mind it'll kick the rest into gear! There'll be feet hanging out everywhere :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,506 ✭✭✭Dawggone

When one makes up her mind it'll kick the rest into gear! There'll be feet hanging out everywhere :D

True.
    Calving shed never stops here...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭Milked out

Neighbour had 11 cows calved one morning in a lose pen, lad working with him was flat out between getting beistings into em and keeping track of who was who

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭Greengrass1

jaymla627 wrote: »
    First Belgian blue calf landed just their now, first time I've been happy to have a bull in three years has been all dairy Ai the past 3 seasons, will be a nice little boast to cash flow with the year that's in it

Why are you having first if your cows calve to blue?

Why are you having first if your cows calve to blue?

30% of lower preforming cows in calf to Belgian blue this year with rest to dairy sires.
    Everything's going in calf to beef sires this year bar maiden heifers and top 25% of herd that will get 3 weeks dairy ai, getting of the replacement train as peak numbers going to be milked will be hit next year, replacement rate in herd is only running at 10% year on year, so 20 heifer calves will all that will be needed going forward....
    Pretty eye opening when doing the figures the extra cash that will be available from the massive increase in calf sales and the decrease in replacement costs will add around 30 thousand plus a year in cash

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,149 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

jaymla627 wrote: »
    30% of lower preforming cows in calf to Belgian blue this year with rest to dairy sires.
    Everything's going in calf to beef sires this year bar maiden heifers and top 25% of herd that will get 3 weeks dairy ai, getting of the replacement train as peak numbers going to be milked will be hit next year, replacement rate in herd is only running at 10% year on year, so 20 heifer calves will all that will be needed going forward....
    Pretty eye opening when doing the figures the extra cash that will be available from the massive increase in calf sales and the decrease in replacement costs will add around 30 thousand plus a year in cash

Wise move ,no point having a heap of replacements you don't need ,carrying and rearing them is a huge drain on cash .250/300 euro plus for blue calves will be a nice boost through the spring

Advertisement