Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When Calving Starting

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Blackgrass

Dawggone wrote: »
    They eventually die...
    You don't usually see them make 6months.

What % of herds are affeced over there? Presume it's the same for everyone else in area...

• Registered Users Posts: 29,360 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Calf born a while ago naturally to a heifer . Undershot jaw . Fairly oversized at chest . Spindly legs with visible sinews. Twitching.
    Schmallenberg symptoms?

Is it a notifiable condition..
    i dont think its notifiable but if it was me i would like to know what i was dealing with. calf i had was born about 5 weeks early dead , joints where fused , was your one born early. Vet did say before schmallenberg there was always the odd deformed calf born anyway so its hard to put all deformities down to it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,506 ✭✭✭Dawggone

Blackgrass wrote: »
    What % of herds are affeced over there? Presume it's the same for everyone else in area...

Weirdly enough it doesn't work in a linear way. Large herds are way more affected than small ones.
    Also, herds that are never outdoors get very few problems.
    It's more to do with concentrations of mozzies midges etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

Weirdly enough it doesn't work in a linear way. Large herds are way more affected than small ones.
    Also, herds that are never outdoors get very few problems.
    It's more to do with concentrations of mozzies midges etc.

Looking through a few records last night. Our last health screen showed us pos for sbv antibodies. Long may it continue though I wonder would it be any use in the face of a serious outbreak.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭stretch film

Calf survived night . Flailing around . In a moment of weakness I tubed her and decided against calling the knackery. :-)

• Advertisement

Looking through a few records last night. Our last health screen showed us pos for sbv antibodies. Long may it continue though I wonder would it be any use in the face of a serious outbreak.

The ideal is to have maidens gain immunity before pregnancy...

Any animal that has been infected is immune. So I'm told...

The ideal is to have maidens gain immunity before pregnancy...

Any animal that has been infected is immune. So I'm told...

The concern around here is that there mightened have been any challenge last year and therefore no immunity in this years maiden heifers.

The concern around here is that there mightened have been any challenge last year and therefore no immunity in this years maiden heifers.

Yes it may be a bit of a concern.

You shouldn't have huge pressure either.

Nearly 70 aborted in the herd here in the last 12months, not to mention the fertility problems.
    What really galls me is pushing heifers to calve at 24months and then they slip...feckin disheartening.

Nearly 70 aborted in the herd here in the last 12months, not to mention the fertility problems.
    What really galls me is pushing heifers to calve at 24months and then they slip...feckin disheartening.

While it's around I have never heard of the losses you're getting even allowing for the difference in numbers. Are your youngstock outdoors much? Why aren't they developing immunity as calves?

While it's around I have never heard of the losses you're getting even allowing for the difference in numbers. Are your youngstock outdoors much? Why aren't they developing immunity as calves?

Sorry Free but I've no answers.
    I'm making every effort to keep maidens out as long as possible. I've a batch now that will be bulled in May and they have been out since 7weeks old. Time will tell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭stretch film

Calf born a while ago naturally to a heifer . Undershot jaw . Fairly oversized at chest . Spindly legs with visible sinews. Twitching.
    Schmallenberg symptoms?

Is it a notifiable condition..

Old "tapir face" from last night aint going down without a fight. Standing this evening and took half a feed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭Miname

Moo call landed last night and I stuck it on the nearest cow to calve. Of course two others calved before her but it works anyway text me about five minutes before the water bag came and then again as the feet were coming.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,400 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Old "tapir face" from last night aint going down without a fight. Standing this evening and took half a feed.

Good news

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,278 ✭✭✭frazzledhome

Phuck the calving Flying herd

Miname wrote: »
    Moo call landed last night and I stuck it on the nearest cow to calve. Of course two others calved before her but it works anyway text me about five minutes before the water bag came and then again as the feet were coming.

I burst my hole laughing, typical

Friday will mark 6 wk calving and need 10 more to calve to hit 90%. Really happy with that. 3% mortality that includes 3 slipped calves 1 smashed off a wall by Thatcher (our bitch cow) a c section deformed 1 shot as got blood scour and went down hill too fast 2 more 1 wk any others were calving or too late to be there

Should add 3 cows shot, 1 old lady calf rotting in her too chancy for section others were heifers down

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Mad4simmental

That Thatcher sounds like a right bitch! Lol

That Thatcher sounds like a right bitch! Lol

Nor Red Cross and her daughter is called after a neighbour, a right bitch also.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,400 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Nor Red Cross and her daughter is called after a neighbour, a right bitch also.

Tell us what your really think frazzled :D

Phuck the calving Flying herd

I've taken your advice!

• Advertisement

I've taken your advice!

No business could sustain that nor no manager could hack that mentally.
    I think its your only option

No business could sustain that nor no manager could hack that mentally.
    I think its your only option

What age cows though? Buying heifers to only get a lactation out of them with the premium they command over older cows and then only getting a cull price after that wouldn't seem to be great economics. At least with an older cow the fresh calved to cull differential would be lower and this will have a large effect on profit margin.

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭farmersfriend

Cows roaring mad here this am, calf on scraper. cleaned up now and warming her under lamp, what a way to start life!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Cows roaring mad here this am, calf on scraper. cleaned up now and warming her under lamp, what a way to start life!

Had two heifers calf last night, the 2nd one started pushing very quickly before she had opened up, and was roaring like crazy, not a huge amount I could do but let her on, I'd say she woke the whole neighbourhood ha. Nice 270ebi yad heifer from her though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Ruxin

Close one here last night went out to check cows close to calving before bed decided to look in cubicle house to see if any milking cows had come home and spotted a heifer lying down on the slats with two massive feet sticking out of here lucky she got up and I managed to get her over to the calving pen where she decided to lay down beside the wall which didn't make getting the calf out very easy but I got in out in the ended.

What age cows though? Buying heifers to only get a lactation out of them with the premium they command over older cows and then only getting a cull price after that wouldn't seem to be great economics. At least with an older cow the fresh calved to cull differential would be lower and this will have a large effect on profit margin.

Buying second and third lactation cows...
    I find that cows that get infected with sbv will either go full term and have a deformed calf....or they will abort in late pregnancy and come into milk.
    Buying cows seems to be the lesser of two evils.
    Bought beef bulls so no more AI.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭Greengrass1

Chatting to a DG member there a few days ago. Same ahe as my dad and no successor.
    Fine yard and has it well set up for himself.
    Says he hasn't witnessed a calving in 3 yrs. Let's off an AA bull with the cows - calving most of the yr.
    Sells calves at 2-3 wks old and buys in what heifers he needs.
    ha has a great system for himself. No hardship and he says he'll keep milking for a few yrs yet

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

Chatting to a DG member there a few days ago. Same ahe as my dad and no successor.
    Fine yard and has it well set up for himself.
    Says he hasn't witnessed a calving in 3 yrs. Let's off an AA bull with the cows - calving most of the yr.
    Sells calves at 2-3 wks old and buys in what heifers he needs.
    ha has a great system for himself. No hardship and he says he'll keep milking for a few yrs yet

Start bringing him to yer place for dinner a couple of times a week and maybe give him a hand out on the farm . You never know ...... !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭sh1tstirrer

Bullocks wrote: »
    Start bringing him to yer place for dinner a couple of times a week and maybe give him a hand out on the farm . You never know ...... !
    I know plenty that did similar and it rarely works out ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭Greengrass1

Bullocks wrote: »

Haha Lol. Ah he has a family just none have an interest
    he says he cant go to the local any more with lads buying him drinks and telling him it's time he moved aside

Advertisement