Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No longer attracted to my girlfriend

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

Shabra wrote: »
    I'll say it again.

I believe a man is better looking at 40 than 20 usually provided he looks after his health and his hair doesn't fall out.

Take Roy Keane as an example, not a typically good looking man. At 40 he was better looking than at 20.

I think you're basing what you're saying entirely on your own subjective opinion of what you find attractive in men. I don't think your personal taste in men holds true for most women as you claim. On what basis do you make that claim? What do you have to back it up? What makes you believe that? I'm genuinely curious.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 60 ✭✭Shabra

Candie wrote: »
    And you extrapolate this to mean that the majority of women think a well preserved 40 year old man is better looking than the same man at 20? Seriously?

How do you feel you'll personally fare at 40 as a woman though?

Do you think Roy Keane was better looking at 40 or 20?

I'm a transexual, and given you are struggling to understand a simple argument I have made I won'the confuse you anymore by bringing transexual it into it.

I understand you perfectly Shabra. You won't confuse me.

strobe wrote: »
    I think you're basing what you're saying entirely on your own subjective opinion of what you find attractive in men. I don't think your personal taste in men holds true for most women as you claim. On what basis do you make that claim? What do you have to back it up? What makes you believe that? I'm genuinely curious.

It's an opinion based on observing the world, just like yours.

I have no idea who Roy Keane is, but since I don't go for middle aged men I doubt I'd find him attractive, and probably not at any age.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,672 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

18 to menopause.

You're talking nonsense then really - it's alright for you to make ridiculous extrapolations based on your own tastes, but anyone who shows you your error in your methodology is "making generalisations"...

Personally, I find people on a wind-up very unattractive and immature, especially when they realise their error, but plough on regardless.

You should practise saying 'In my opinion..' in that case, since you state your preference as though it's a universal truth.

You're talking nonsense then really - it's alright for you to make ridiculous extrapolations based on your own tastes, but anyone who shows you your error in your methodology is "making generalisations"...

Personally, I find people on a wind-up very unattractive and immature, especially when they realise their error, but plough on regardless.

People are having trouble with this because usually men at 20 are better looking than at 40 so it biases them when considering my question of men at 40 who look after their health and still have their hair.

To clarify, the majority of women between 18 and menopause. That does not mean the majority of 18 year old.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

Yes but which world, is the question? Why have you come here to Earth and from how far?
    :pac:

Ah I'm only teasing. You seem fairly set in your belief so I'll run along. Have a nice Stevens day.

You should practise saying 'In my opinion..' in that case, since you state your preference as though it's a universal truth.

I didn't state my preference. I could think 18 year old are the pinnacle of good looks in terms of what I find attractive. I haven't said.

• Advertisement

People are having trouble with this because usually men at 20 are better looking than at 40 so it biases them when considering my question of men at 40 who look after their health and still have their hair.

A man of 40 with his own hair who looks after himself looks like a man of 40 with hair who looks after himself. That's it.

To clarify, the majority of women between 18 and menopause. That does not mean the majority of 18 year old.

Clarify all you like, I understand you perfectly. It doesn't matter whether I personally find Roy Keane attractive or not regardless of his age. Roy Keane at 40 is not attractive to the same audience of women he was attractive to when he was 20. When Roy Keane was 20 he was hardly attractive to 40 year old women, and now that he's 40, he's hardly attractive to 20 year old women.

The same will happen for the likes of Harry Styles - he's attractive to 18 year old women now, but give him another 20 years and will he still be attractive to 18 year old women? Not with the best personal trainers in the world and all his money will he still be as attractive to them as he is now.

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Pat D. Almighty

....in your opinion of course ;)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I know I've always been exceptional amongst my female friends.
    I'd agree TBL. That would be my experience too. It varies with age a bit. EG a 20 year old woman that would be into a 40 year old man would be very rare, even if he was good looking. He wouldn't be on her radar. She might think oh he's cute for his age, but he'd be "old" to her. 20 year old women into "older" men would see 28-30 as "older". Fast forward to say 28, then a late 30's to 40 year old would be much more on the radar to more women of that age, even so they'd be a minority.

Though a relatively attractive 35-40 year old man has more options in the dating pool than a woman his age as a general rule. I noticed that diff in my 30's with men and women mates of that age. The women(who were not exactly hard to look at) definitely had a harder time. Especially with the quality of men on offer.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭UCDVet

....in your opinion of course ;)

In my opinion, you should have added 'In my opinion'.....before expressing your opinion that they should have added '....in your opinion!'.

In my opinion, everyone should clearly label their own opinions.

in my opinion, if people don't, they'll be unable to tell the difference between a fact and an opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

Could any women reading here let us know if they found 40 year old men more attractive than young guys roughly their own age when they were pre 30's? Just to get a rough read on the thing.

Nope, nobody over early 30s at the very most would have got a look in from me at up to late 20s.

Wibbs wrote: »
    Fast forward to say 28, then a late 30's to 40 year old would be much more on the radar to more women of that age, even so they'd be a minority.

I recall at 27 having a not-unattractive 42 year old man with comfortable means ask me out. It was just an instant "Nope" in my mind. In my mind too with an older guy is, well, declining health will likely come sooner than with a younger man. Might not happen with every older guy, but the odds are there. I'm sure that would be on the minds of many men with older women too.

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭Rough Sleeper

I have no idea who Roy Keane is,
    Do you live under a rock in the US or something? To me this is kinda like someone saying "I'm not familiar with this 'Barack Obama' " or " ' Bono?' Can't say I've heard of him."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,086 ✭✭✭TheBeardedLady

Wibbs wrote: »
    Though a relatively attractive 35-40 year old man has more options in the dating pool than a woman his age as a general rule. I noticed that diff in my 30's with men and women mates of that age. The women(who were not exactly hard to look at) definitely had a harder time. Especially with the quality of men on offer.

Well, that I can't comment on as I'm not there yet and most of my friends are in relationships.

Do you live under a rock in the US or something? To me this is kinda like someone saying "I'm not familiar with this 'Barack Obama' " or " ' Bono?' Can't say I've heard of him."

Maybe not Irish and not interested in football?

• Advertisement

Could any women reading here let us know if they found 40 year old men more attractive than young guys roughly their own age when they were pre 30's? Just to get a rough read on the thing.

I know (and have known) a few women like that alright that were pre-30's (pre-20's too) who had no interest in men their own age and were more attracted to men in their 40's and 50's, but they certainly weren't as common as Shabra would like to believe, and they sure as hell weren't attracted to them for their physical appearance either! :D

Some were working under the misguided impression that age correlates to intellectual maturity, and then wondered why their relationships didn't work out, and some were just attracted to older men because they liked the idea of their behaviour or their relationship being taboo so to speak, and again would wonder when their relationships didn't work out.

They're what Wibbs would call outliers though, definitely 'out there' alright :D

I know (and have known) a few women like that alright that were pre-30's (pre-20's too) who had no interest in men their own age and were more attracted to men in their 40's and 50's, but they certainly weren't as common as Shabra would like to believe, and they sure as hell weren't attracted to them for their physical appearance either! :D

Some were working under the misguided impression that age correlates to intellectual maturity, and then wondered why their relationships didn't work out, and some were just attracted to older men because they liked the idea of their behaviour or their relationship being taboo so to speak, and again would wonder when their relationships didn't work out.

They're what Wibbs would call outliers though, definitely 'out there' alright :D

I wouldn't like to believe anything. I didn'the comment on 18 year old, 19 year old, 20 year old etc women's preferences.

Your average 40 year old has not taken good care of his health so he probably looked much better at 20.

I wouldn't like to believe anything.

Your average 40 year old has not taken good care of his health so he probably looked much better at 20.

Nothing revolutionary there really, it's like me saying your average 40 year old who HAS taken good care of his health probably looked much better at 20!

Common sense really, nothing more.

How do your theories apply to your observations about women then?

Do you find your average 40 year old woman who has not taken care of her health probably looked much better when she was 20 too?

Shocking, isn't it?

Nothing revolutionary there really, it's like me saying your average 40 year old who HAS taken good care of his health probably looked much better at 20!

Common sense really, nothing more.

How do your theories apply to your observations about women then?

Do you find your average 40 year old woman who has not taken care of her health probably looked much better when she was 20 too?

Shocking, isn't it?

Never said it's revolutionary, merely clarifying my opinion, what specifically about women would you like to hear my opinion?

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭Bog Standard User

nails1 wrote: »
    Yes the weight gain is because of comfort eating and pure laziness. She also quit smoking so this hasn't helped either in terms of extra weight.

buy her liposuction - should get good deals in the january sales

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 thaidad2

buy her liposuction - should get good deals in the january sales

Or dump the hog, liposuction is expensive a new GF that will look after herself is not

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Tarzana2 wrote: »
    I recall at 27 having a not-unattractive 42 year old man with comfortable means ask me out. It was just an instant "Nope" in my mind.
    Hence I said that 27 year old women who would go for a 40 year old man are a minority, there's just more of them than at 20.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Tarzana2 wrote: »
    I recall at 27 having a not-unattractive 42 year old man with comfortable means ask me out. It was just an instant "Nope" in my mind. In my mind too with an older guy is, well, declining health will likely come sooner than with a younger man. Might not happen with every older guy, but the odds are there. I'm sure that would be on the minds of many men with older women too.

Do you understand yours is one of several billion preferences on the planet? Your preferences cannot be applied as absolutes for the entire human attraction.

steddyeddy wrote: »
    Do you understand yours is one of several billion preferences on the planet? Your preferences cannot be applied as absolutes for the entire human attraction.

Was there anything in my post that indicated that it was anything other than an anecdote?

Obviously it's an anecdote, in a thread full of them. Did I really need to point this out to you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭HughWotMVIII

Found one. Here's Jose Mourinho in his younger days. He's a grand-looking man now but when he was younger....hubba!

http://luckyladder.files.wordpress.com/2011/06/youngmourinhobb8.jpg

He doesn't even look like the same man. Holy wow but he was hot!!

Advertisement