Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Winter tires or normal?

Options
14567810»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭Biglad

CiniO wrote: »
    Because I don't believe in most of those test.
    They are about the same worth as f.e. such advert.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lrMD_z_FnNk
    Dirt just disappearing instantly - miracle.

I would like to see the test, because I believe that most stuff you see on youtube and TV is just sponsored by tyre industry.

I told it was not just one set of tyres, but 16 years of my observations on various setups in various conditions.

I absolutely agree with the snow. I repeated it here many times that winter tyres make tremendous difference on snow, and for snow driving they are pretty much a necessity.
    But in wet conditions, my observations seem to confirm that summer tyres are better.
    In the end tread grooves in summer tyres are designed to dispense water, while winter tyres tread is designed to stick to the snow and ice.
    Why would winter be better on wet roads?

You just believe what you want to believe when it comes to testing...

Why are winter tyres better in the wet than summer tyres you are asking me after stating that you have 16 years of experience with driving on them...where's my coat...

• Registered Users Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

Biglad wrote: »
    You just believe what you want to believe when it comes to testing...
    No, I believe what I've seen myself. If tests contradict what's my own experience, then I believe tests are not genuine.
    Why are winter tyres better in the wet than summer tyres you are asking me after stating that you have 16 years of experience with driving on them...where's my coat...
    That's exactly what I'm asking, as my 16 years of experience driving with them seem to show otherwise.

No, I believe what I've seen myself. If tests contradict what's my own experience, then I believe tests are not genuine.

That's exactly what I'm asking, as my 16 years of experience driving with them seem to show otherwise.

Listen, you are clearly not open to anything but your own 'experience'. You don't believe tyre manufacturers, and you don't understand the theory behind the idea of winter tyres.

Like I said...where is my coat...

Ps here is a clip from one of these tyre manufacturers, they might not have all of your experience but I'm sure that at this stage they have a fair idea...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7kkQRzOldc

Good luck and stay safe...

• Registered Users Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

Biglad wrote: »
    Listen, you are clearly not open to anything but your own 'experience'. You don't believe tyre manufacturers, and you don't understand the theory behind the idea of winter tyres.
    Well, that's pretty much very natural, isn't it?
    If you see that grass is green, and there will be group of people who will try to convince you that in fact it's red, will you believe them, or will you still be open only to your perception and experience telling you that grass is green?

Like I said...where is my coat...

Ps here is a clip from one of these tyre manufacturers, they might not have all of your experience but I'm sure that at this stage they have a fair idea...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7kkQRzOldc

Good luck and stay safe...

That clip is perfect example of what I was telling you before. It's just advertising clip, which main goal is to convince people that they need winter tyres.
    And while in fact probably most data from this clip is correct, I don't think that data in relation to wet braking in winter is correct.

The same as clip I linked earlier about cleaining utensil is also not exactly genuine as you can imagine.

That's the problem of tyre industry. In Europe not that many people live in places where snow and ice is common on the roads, and there must be some way to convince those people that they need winter tyres, and doing so by telling them that they are also beneficial on wet or dry road at low temperatures is best way to achieve this goal. Whether it's true or not is not that important here when it comes to marketing campaigns.
    Otherwise sales of winter tyres would be way down, as only people who drive is snowy regions would buy them.

Well, that's pretty much very natural, isn't it?
    If you see that grass is green, and there will be group of people who will try to convince you that in fact it's red, will you believe them, or will you still be open only to your perception and experience telling you that grass is green?

That clip is perfect example of what I was telling you before. It's just advertising clip, which main goal is to convince people that they need winter tyres.
    And while in fact probably most data from this clip is correct, I don't think that data in relation to wet braking in winter is correct.

The same as clip I linked earlier about cleaining utensil is also not exactly genuine as you can imagine.

That's the problem of tyre industry. In Europe not that many people live in places where snow and ice is common on the roads, and there must be some way to convince those people that they need winter tyres, and doing so by telling them that they are also beneficial on wet or dry road at low temperatures is best way to achieve this goal. Whether it's true or not is not that important here when it comes to marketing campaigns.
    Otherwise sales of winter tyres would be way down, as only people who drive is snowy regions would buy them.

omg

• Advertisement
Advertisement