Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Winter tires or normal?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,557 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Hi guys,
    tempted to put a set of winter tyres on my car, either Michelin alpine or Continental TS 850, anyone experience of either?
    Not really. Had goodyears until now, savas will be on soon (my tyre fitter decided to make himself a holiday until 5th Jan, so have to wait a while).
    Those with winter tyres do you swap tyres or have second set of rims?
    Second set of rims, definately. You can swap them yourself with no penny spent on balancing etc. twice a year.
    Any issues with storing tyres ?
    Not at all. Stacked in a shed. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Hi guys,
    tempted to put a set of winter tyres on my car, either Michelin alpine or Continental TS 850, anyone experience of either? Those with winter tyres do you swap tyres or have second set of rims? Any issues with storing tyres ?
    I have TS850's can't rate them highly enough, quiet and very grippy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭visual

Picked up another set of rims, summer are stored in shed.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,502 ✭✭✭micks_address

Hi Guys,

So I went ahead and bought a set of Michelin Alpin PA3 on steel rims, they are secondhand but have very little wear, seller had them on his car last winter for a couple of months but has since sold on the car

Few pictures attached, they seem in reasonably good condition.

Re swapping wheels over - what should i expect to pay? Do they need to be balanced?

Should have them early next week so going to swap them on and leave till probably end of march and then swap back to the summers till October.

Any problems with stacking them in the shed like the attached pics?

Cheers,
    Mick

• Registered Users Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

Swap them over yourself on a weekend morning, 20/30 min max. If the were on the sellers car and he was using them then the should be balanced already, you will know fairly quickly if there are out of balance or not (vibrations)

What kind of wheels are on the car at the moment ? If the are alloys then the wheels bolts may not be suitable for steelies.

see the pic below, usually alloys are fitted with a tapered bolt and steelies with a flat bolt.

file.php?id=14793

• Advertisement
    Unregistered Users

Do those rims fit your car?

If so, looks like they're balanced already, so direct swap DIY. :)

I stack mine the same way, just wash them and dry before.

Edit: above steelies have tapered holes.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,983 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Looks like the bolts are sitting in the hubcaps.

Possibility of a sharp temp drop and snow this weekend, might be worth your while putting them on.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057357429

Looks like the bolts are sitting in the hubcaps.

Possibility of a sharp temp drop and snow this weekend, might be worth your while putting them on.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057357429

hmm im not sure re the bolts, i'll ask the seller. i have alloys on my car at the moment.. i'd say the hubcaps are just molded bolt heads for cosmetic effect?

If i do need bolts where would i pick them up?

Thanks,
    Mick

Unregistered Users

Remove one of bolts/nuts you have, make a very good photo, make close-up photo of a steelies hole and post them both up here.

joujoujou wrote: »
    Remove one of bolts/nuts you have, make a very good photo, make close-up photo of a steelies hole and post them both up here.

Won't have the new wheels till early next week but will then
    Thanks
    Mick

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

I got a set of nuts for my steelies from this here.

http://www.mistertee.co.uk/

I emailed him beforehand to ask about fitment and he was very helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,436 ✭✭✭✭Alun

stimpson wrote: »
    Very useful link, thanks! I need a set of nice new nuts and centre caps for our MX-5. I love the tagline on his website too ... "HAVE I GOT NUTZ 4 U! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

Alun wrote: »
    Very useful link, thanks! I need a set of nice new nuts and centre caps for our MX-5. I love the tagline on his website too ... "HAVE I GOT NUTZ 4 U! :D

I could think of better nuts related puns.

Hi guys wheels came, to lazy to fit myself to brought to local tyre centre. The wheel nuts are fine but there's a problem with the rims. When fitted they said they were rubbing off the break calipers and the wheels wouldn't rotate?

Guy said some places might suggest fitting spacers but he wouldn't recommend it.

Only option seems now to switch over to my own alloys?

They hadn't time to do this evening anyway.

Disappointed as they said the tyres are perfect and really good quality

What are my options?

Cheers
    Mick

Hi guys wheels came, to lazy to fit myself to brought to local tyre centre. The wheel nuts are fine but there's a problem with the rims. When fitted they said they were rubbing off the break calipers and the wheels wouldn't rotate?

Guy said some places might suggest fitting spacers but he wouldn't recommend it.

Only option seems now to switch over to my own alloys?

They hadn't time to do this evening anyway.

Disappointed as they said the tyres are perfect and really good quality

What are my options?

Cheers
    Mick

Spacers are fine but not the most cost effective option as 4 decent ones would set you back a few quid.

tossy wrote: »
    Spacers are fine but not the most cost effective option as 4 decent ones would set you back a few quid.

Would somewhere like discount tyres (blanch) stock spacers?

How much would you be talking about?

I wanted to get the tyres on asap especially in the current cold weather

Cheers
    Mick

Would somewhere like discount tyres (blanch) stock spacers?

How much would you be talking about?

I wanted to get the tyres on asap especially in the current cold weather

Cheers
    Mick

Would these do?

http://www.halfords.com/motoring/car-styling/alloy-wheel-tyre-sets/ripspeed-spacer-kit-3mm-4-or-5-stud

I personally wouldn't fit non hub centric spacers like those ones in Halfords even if the are only a few mm thick.

Discount tyres in blanch stock spacers, 4 plus bolts won't be cheap though, you'd pick up a set of steel wheels with the correct off set fo your car cheaper second hand i'd imagine.

Hi,

I checked with discount tyres and they wouldn't recommend the spacers at all for steel rims, so my options are switch the tyres to my own alloys for now and maybe look at picking up a set of alloys somewhere in the future or steels with the correct offset.

Lesson learned re the rims...

Hi,

I checked with discount tyres and they wouldn't recommend the spacers at all for steel rims, so my options are switch the tyres to my own alloys for now and maybe look at picking up a set of alloys somewhere in the future or steels with the correct offset.

Lesson learned re the rims...

Winter tyres fitted, swapped on to my own alloys for the time being,

Going to try and pick up a secondhand set of alloys before the summer tyres have to go back on again

Anyone want 4 steel rims with hub caps for 40 euro?

Have posted an ad on adverts..

http://www.adverts.ie/alloys-wheels/16-inch-steel-rims-mint/7208022

Cheers,
    Mick

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

Winter tyres fitted, swapped on to my own alloys for the time being,

Going to try and pick up a secondhand set of alloys before the summer tyres have to go back on again

Anyone was 4 steel rims with hub caps for 40 euro?

Have posted an ad on adverts..

http://www.adverts.ie/alloys-wheels/16-inch-steel-rims-mint/7208022

Cheers,
    Mick

Did you notice any difference in grip on your winter tyres compared to summer tyres?

BTW - rims came off 2010 civic. What car did you try to put them on that they didn't fit?

CiniO wrote: »
    Did you notice any difference in grip on your winter tyres compared to summer tyres?

BTW - rims came off 2010 civic. What car did you try to put them on that they didn't fit?

Mine is a 2014 civic spoke to my dealer today and he says all 2012 onwards civics came with alloy wheels

Hard to know really re grip as around Dublin the weather hasn't been to bad. My father is in sligo and was amazed the difference his winter tyres made in the snow. He only got them fitted last week

Cheers
    Mick

Mine is a 2014 civic spoke to my dealer today and he says all 2012 onwards civics came with alloy wheels

Hard to know really re grip as around Dublin the weather hasn't been to bad. My father is in sligo and was amazed the difference his winter tyres made in the snow. He only got them fitted last week

Cheers
    Mick
    Question regarding rims. The ones that wouldn't fit my civic are et55 offset. If I buy an alloy with an et 50 I should be safe? The steel rims went in fine but rubbed the calipers.

Does going from et55 to et50 give me 5mm more clearance from the brakes?

Rev the Michelins, very quiet and grip seems great so far. Wish I had some snow to rest them up a hill :)

Cheers
    Mick

Question regarding rims. The ones that wouldn't fit my civic are et55 offset. If I buy an alloy with an et 50 I should be safe? The steel rims went in fine but rubbed the calipers.

Does going from et55 to et50 give me 5mm more clearance from the brakes?

Rev the Michelins, very quiet and grip seems great so far. Wish I had some snow to rest them up a hill :)

Cheers
    Mick

That's correct yes, the lower the ET (off set) the more clearance you will have.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 126 ✭✭harrymagina

You do not need winter tyres, just a bit of cop on. I have normal good tyres all year round and if you drive sensibly and not like a spastic you will be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,327 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

You do not need winter tyres, just a bit of cop on. I have normal good tyres all year round and if you drive sensibly and not like a spastic you will be grand.

ahh.....please go do some reading on the topic...has been discussed argued and rejected so many times......Need depends on circumstances....benefits..there is no doubt of them

Ah now,it's all right. Don't be going getting all upset and your knickers in a twist over the tyres someone else decides to put on their car.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,876 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Agree with Harrymagina, for 1 day in a year there is no economic argument for winter tyres on ordinary two wheel drive cars in Ireland. What did we do for years before we had them?

if you keep your standard road tyres maintaned and replaced as needed and drive a bit more defensively in poor conditions and you will get there, keep your 4 or 500 quid in your pocket.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,876 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

tossy wrote: »
    Ah now,it's all right. Don't be going getting all upset and your knickers in a twist over the tyres someone else decides to put on their car.

Nothing wrong with trying to advise people not to be sucked in.

• Advertisement

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Nothing wrong with trying to advise people not to be sucked in.

Tin foil hats ahoy!

Advertisement