Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Open 2015 at Royal County Down

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭stockdam

Thought I'd walk to the course, is it a bad idea. Was going to play a round in bushfoot too.

You'll have some walk from Portrush to Newcastle!

The Irish Open is NOT at Royal Portrush.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭The Premier Man

stockdam wrote: »

Just doing a quick calculation on Google maps and it will take about 1 day 3 hours approx to get from portrush to royal county down by foot.you could probably knock a small bit off if you broke into a jog for a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭thewobbler

Whilst I agree that Lisburn isn't handy to Newcastle, I've no idea what you mean about it not being welcoming.

Haha in fairness the "not welcoming" thing could be issued at all sorts of towns in NI, regardless of cultural background.

My point is more to do with some towns are tourism focused and some aren't. Lisburn isn't a tourism gateway, it's an outpost from Belfast with one (premier inn) hotel. So it isn't a place you'll find a tourism vibe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Montgolfier

Feel like a bit of an eejit now (got to love boards) but hey better now than closer to the tournament. Thanks for putting me straight guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,870 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Rikand wrote: »
    Seve must have wangled it for us ;)

Ha Ha, it wasn't me, but I know who it was ;)

Thinking strongly about heading up for the weekend myself. So just been looking for accomodation and it seems pretty non existant!

I'd be quite happy spending the day at the course, evening in the clubhouse and sleeping in my car! but I really don't fancy the hike it appears is ahead if you want a proper bed for the night! I'm sure there will be busses to Belfast, but that could be an awful trek... and then back the next morning!

Seriously, is there any farmer opening his fields to a few campers, or an aul caravan park or something in Newcastle?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,816 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Feel like a bit of an eejit now (got to love boards) but hey better now than closer to the tournament. Thanks for putting me straight guys.

Are you serious - didn't know if you were joking above.

Then when you mentioned - Bushfoot - didn't know if you were joking.

But there is a Bushfoot

http://www.bushfootgolfclub.co.uk/

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Finlay Harp

Seve OB wrote: »
    Ha Ha, it wasn't me, but I know who it was ;)

Thinking strongly about heading up for the weekend myself. So just been looking for accomodation and it seems pretty non existant!

I'd be quite happy spending the day at the course, evening in the clubhouse and sleeping in my car! but I really don't fancy the hike it appears is ahead if you want a proper bed for the night! I'm sure there will be busses to Belfast, but that could be an awful trek... and then back the next morning!

Seriously, is there any farmer opening his fields to a few campers, or an aul caravan park or something in Newcastle?

Plenty of caravan parks around the town. Camping usually available in Castlewellan Forest Park.

Plenty of caravan parks around the town. Camping usually available in Castlewellan Forest Park.

have you any liinks please?

is there any of the society heading up? maybe we could try sort some accommodation together?... have you anything sorted Fix.. are you going?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,816 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

is there any of the society heading up? maybe we could try sort some accommodation together?... have you anything sorted Fix.. are you going?

Was going to go .

But have done all that area - played course 3 times

By the way great place to follow a group and see them play it - not sure it is a great place to watch much golf (by picking spots) .
    Will be interesting how they route spectators.

I think - I'd only be inspired to go now, if I had a place to stay in Newcastle. A few pints - meet the locals - friendly and even unfriendly.

But missed the boat.

I think I will find it hard not to do a day trip - but I think getting in and out of place will be a nightmare - unless there is a back route away from Newcastle all together.

Are you serious - didn't know if you were joking above.

Then when you mentioned - Bushfoot - didn't know if you were joking.

But there is a Bushfoot

http://www.bushfootgolfclub.co.uk/

Bushfoot is a short quiet course in Portballantrae (just off the main coast road). It's a nice place to get away from the crowds.

Another quiet spot is the Brown Trout........only 9 holes but a nice spot for a quick game and a meal/pint.

But we're getting away from the main point.

• Advertisement

If you can't change your accommodation then plan to be travelling for about an hour and a half with traffic. There's more to do around Portrush and there are about 7 or 8 decent courses to play. If the weather is good then the north coast is a great place to stay.

Castlewellan Park....

http://www.nidirect.gov.uk/castlewellan-forest-park-2

More

http://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/sites/townlisting.asp?town=Newcastle%20&county=N%20Ireland

There's a picnic area at Murlough but you may get moved on there.

If you can't change your accommodation then plan to be travelling for about an hour and a half with traffic. There's more to do around Portrush and there are about 7 or 8 decent courses to play. If the weather is good then the north coast is a great place to stay.

Yeah thinking about it alright, mad to play a few links courses

Yeah thinking about it alright, mad to play a few links courses

So are you going to stay in Portrush?

If so then obviously head for Royal Portrush. The Valley course right next to it is also decent and a good test (GMac's old course?). Also look at Portstewart ( 2 courses, not the Old Course but I guess that's OK too as it's cheap but not great). Ballycastle is not bad though maybe too far away as is Gracehill.

Around Newcastle you have RCD obviously but also try Ardglass and Kilkeel. Further afield you have Warrenpoint, Downpatrick and The Spa (Ballinahinch) all within driving distance of Newcastle.

Non-golfing.........go toTollymore Forest Park and also walk up the Mournes from the car park at the far side of Newcastle. Murlough beach is also a nice walk.

So are you going to stay in Portrush?

If so then obviously head for Royal Portrush. The Valley course right next to it is also decent and a good test (GMac's old course?). Also look at Portstewart ( 2 courses, not the Old Course but I guess that's OK too as it's cheap but not great). Ballycastle is not bad though maybe too far away as is Gracehill.

Around Newcastle you have RCD obviously but also try Ardglass and Kilkeel. Further afield you have Warrenpoint, Downpatrick and The Spa (Ballinahinch) all within driving distance of Newcastle.

Non-golfing.........go toTollymore Forest Park and also walk up the Mournes from the car park at the far side of Newcastle. Murlough beach is also a nice walk.

Yeah decided to stay in Portrush and play a couple of courses there on Friday and Saturday (morning).
    That's a good list thanks, any good sites to get a deal on those courses?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,798 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Don't know if it's been mentioned before, Luuuuuukkkkkkkeeeeeeeeee Donald confirmed...

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

slave1 wrote: »
    Don't know if it's been mentioned before, Luuuuuukkkkkkkeeeeeeeeee Donald confirmed...

Where did you see that? Seen where his caddy said he was contemplating it but hadn't seen where it was officially confirmed?

pistol_75 wrote: »
    Where did you see that? Seen where his caddy said he was contemplating it but hadn't seen where it was officially confirmed?

I see it somewhere also, not sure where, but I do believe it was a confirmation that he was in!

• Registered Users Posts: 9 antthekiddie86

I booked the host hotel the slieve donard over a year ago for the Thursday to Sunday and now can't make it, gutted obviously, anybody interested I don't want to just cancel it and leave some corporate ppl get it

I booked the host hotel the slieve donard over a year ago for the Thursday to Sunday and now can't make it, gutted obviously, anybody interested I don't want to just cancel it and leave some corporate ppl get it

PM sent

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭shabalala

Irish Open 2016, K club Ryder cup course.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭The_Architect

So whilst the North realise that The Irish Open is the premium chance to showcase our unique and best courses (i.e. links), we down south of the border continue to persevere with run of the mill parkland tracks that could be swapped out with any other European Tour venue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭Golfgraffix

with run of the mill parkland tracks that could be swapped out with any other European Tour venue.

I think you are being over generous

Hopefully the tour will run with this Links Swing idea soon.

J

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

shabalala wrote: »
    Irish Open 2016, K club Ryder cup course.

Rumours today Tiger will play this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭shabalala

I think you are being over generous

Hopefully the tour will run with this Links Swing idea soon.

J

Fair to say the links courses don't want it, it takes a links course a lot longer to recover from the crowd damage.

D

So whilst the North realise that The Irish Open is the premium chance to showcase our unique and best courses (i.e. links), we down south of the border continue to persevere with run of the mill parkland tracks that could be swapped out with any other European Tour venue.

that's a pretty subjective opinion. I think the Palmer course is one of the best I've ever played and certainly not run of the mill
    maybe the North are not as forward thinking as you might believe or do you think that Lough Erne is a links? Irish Open is there in 2017
    who says links are the best courses? it is a matter of opinion. there surely is a reason why the tour does not play more on links. yes, the courses might not want the events, but if the European tour wanted to play Links, they could make it happen. I do think the Links swing would be a brilliant idea, but unfortunately I don't think it will ever happen The clubs don't want to give up their course as a poster above says it takes ages to recover from the thousands who visit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭Golfgraffix

that's a pretty subjective opinion. I think the Palmer course is one of the best I've ever played and certainly not run of the mill

I think my reply was a little of a throw away comment. I will try to clarify my point some more.

I would agree that the KClub is a fine course or at least it was when in its prime, what I was trying to get at is that if the Irish Open is meant to showcase the usp's of irish golf (I pressune that is why tourism ireland are involved) then a links course would be a better choice.

Our target for golf tourists are wealthy Americans, Scandinavians and Germans (UK too but for this arguement they are not so important) courses like and better than the KClub are quite common in these markets, in the US they are the norm, I doubt the KClub would even make the top 1000 list in the US.

Where as our top links courses are as rare as hens teeth, nearly all of them have the wow factor and that is what will tip the scales for a tourist choosing between Scotland and Ireland as their destination.

Remember we are in a dog fight with Scotland for visitors and they have the edge with "the home of golf" and The Open there almost every other year.

J

• Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭benny79

Total agree with the above post we have some of the best links in the World & they really need to be show cased!!! but I think the big problem is the infrastructure! but even Baltry is a better choice than the K club IMO even though I haven't played either, sadly though money talks & who you know etc

How is the European course not been considered? Did it not hold it in the past!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,978 ✭✭✭Kevinmarkham

And since we're on the subject of Scotland... there are plans in place to build another nine courses, including several links (one at Castle Stuart - designed by Arnold Palmer, and the second Trump course).

The Irish Open should always be held at a links but as has been pointed out, money talks.

And to the poster who commented that Northern Ireland is getting it right by promoting the unique and best courses - I'd point out that other than Royals Portrush and County Down, when was the last time the North hosted the event? Not to mention that it will be held in Lough Erne in 2017

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

Patrick Reed has confirmed he is also playing in this years' Irish Open.... list just keeps on growing!

Advertisement