Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Open 2015 at Royal County Down

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭unattendedbag

I live an hour away so will probably drive it. The Wednesday to Sunday has turned in to an annual holiday for me each year. Be wrecked after it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭thewobbler

Poker Face wrote: »
    Thinking of heading up for the Thursday and Friday. Where would people recommend staying?

If you can pick up a B&B in Newcastle then I'd strongly advise. It's normally a pretty dire place at weekends (west Belfast decamps there during summer months) but in that particular week there'll be a buzz every night, plus there's a few decent restaurants.

I'd suggest this as I'm guessing horror show traffic jams on all days, and the course is easily walked from anywhere in Newcastle.

If that doesn't appeal, head to Belfast. Its (usually) only 30 mins away (I'm thinking 1.5 hrs at peak traffic during the open) but will have a bit of vibrancy about it each night. Stay in the Cathedral Quarter if nightlife is important, but anywhere on the South East side if heading early every morning to get your spot.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭OffalyMedic

Could only afford tickets for one day so picked the sunday. Hope all the big names make the cut!! Would be class to see DJ, Rory and Ricky in a group.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,818 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Would accommodation be almost gone at this stage lads ?

Has anyone looked - spent a few night up there - couple of ok pubs. A bit drab in places to be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭dar_cool

Were up there for the saturday and the sunday, I agree with ya there fix, surely there will be a bit of buzz about the place with the irish open on up there? id say traffic will be a nightmare in and around the town

dar_cool wrote: »
    Were up there for the saturday and the sunday, I agree with ya there fix, surely there will be a bit of buzz about the place with the irish open on up there? id say traffic will be a nightmare in and around the town

Where are you staying dar - and when did you book ?

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Down9194

I live 10 minutes away and the traffic is bad any Sat or Sun during the summer. By the way I'm booked out inlaws coming over from England. There are not many accommodation options left in the area, Belfast or Premier Inn in Lisburn might be best shot

Where are you staying dar - and when did you book ?

We're roughing it Fix, staying In kilbroney caravan park,it's in rostrevor, only booked it last month but everything for miles was booked up.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,742 ✭✭✭✭Wichita Lineman

Wondering will there be anything like a park and ride facility for day trippers on the Friday say from anywhere nearby without getting stuck in traffic for hours?

• Advertisement

Were people talking of Belfast earlier - I've done that drive .
    Long enough. Not great main roads.

Great place for an Irish Open - but the logistics all a bit tricky ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

Gonna try head up on Thursday.... Rory is usually in the morning marquee group out at 7:50am so it will be an early start driving from Wicklow!

Were people talking of Belfast earlier - I've done that drive .
    Long enough. Not great main roads.

Great place for an Irish Open - but the logistics all a bit tricky ?

Yeah, drive over from Newry is nice but long enough aswell, nice scenery on the way though but traffic will be mad id say. Little shop on the left on the way into Newcastle does a serious ice cream cone:D

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Finlay Harp

Try the Downshire Arms in Hilltown (10 miles), Millbrook Lodge in Ballynahinch (15 miles) or the Bannville in Banbridge (20 miles) if you can't get anything in Newcastle and don't want to stay as far away as Belfast. Plenty of caravan sites around as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

Would love to play it before The IO. Anywhere to get a value green fee for RCD?

Wombatman wrote: »
    Would love to play it before The IO. Anywhere to get a value green fee for RCD?

If I'm not mistaken it's mats to protect the course prior to the Open....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

Dubai Duty Free the sponsor

Dubai sponsoring an Irish open, bejasus!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,348 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Video at the link as well as Rory talking half way through it

http://www.europeantour.com/europeantour/season=2015/tournamentid=2015040/news/newsid=251408.html

Also a link to Rory talking on the EuropeanTour facebook page ::

https://www.facebook.com/TheEuropeanTour?fref=nf

• Registered Users Posts: 20,348 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

slave1 wrote: »
    Dubai sponsoring an Irish open, bejasus!

Seve must have wangled it for us ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭thewobbler

Re earlier suggestions for Banbridge or Lisburn for accommodation, I'd suggest ignoring both.

Banbridge will end up an hour away with traffic and you honestly won't get Open fever over there

Lisburn is no handier than Belfast, except its only hotel is a 20 minute walk from the town, and it's not what you'd call a welcoming town.

There must be 1,000 fixed mobile homes within a 3-wood of the RCD course - has to be a route worth exploring.

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭searay

Guys,

Looking at bringing my son, who is under 16. I understand from the website that entry is free for u16s, but wanted to check that I don't need a ticket for him in advance?

Anyone any experience from previous opens? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭iluvfatfrogs

Hey Guys,

Ive been keeping an eye out for shuttle buses from Belfast for the last 6 weeks, but none announced yet (even into Lisburn).

Anyone any idea if such a service will be in existance?

only asking early as it will determine our accomodation plans.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭AEH1984

Playing Concra Wood on the Friday, staying there and heading over on the Saturday, cant wait

• Registered Users Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭Barnaboy

searay wrote: »
    Guys,

Looking at bringing my son, who is under 16. I understand from the website that entry is free for u16s, but wanted to check that I don't need a ticket for him in advance?

Anyone any experience from previous opens? Thanks.

Pretty certain it's just turn up at the gate with the kids. That's the way it was in 2013 in Carton House.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭stockdam

thewobbler wrote: »
    Lisburn is no handier than Belfast, except its only hotel is a 20 minute walk from the town, and it's not what you'd call a welcoming town.

Whilst I agree that Lisburn isn't handy to Newcastle, I've no idea what you mean about it not being welcoming.

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭gman127

Do you guys* think this will be a sell-out pre-event??

I'm hoping to go but not 100% sure yet so can't splash on tickets just yet

*question also open to ladies!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Montgolfier

Booked a bnb in portrush town center, didn't think about traffic too much. Will I be stuck?

Booked a bnb in portrush town center, didn't think about traffic too much. Will I be stuck?

But - you would be better off in Dublin . Why did you go there ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Montgolfier

But - you would be better off in Dublin . Why did you go there ?

Thought I'd walk to the course, is it a bad idea. Was going to play a round in bushfoot too.

Advertisement