Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Formula 1 2015: General Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,084 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Final table

top 10 drivers in top 5 team order, very clear pecking order
    Kvyat did well to match Riccardo
    Perez did well against Hulkenberg
    Button got the better of Alonso
    Verstappen and Nasr and Grosjean well ahead of their teammates

1 Lewis Hamilton Mercedes AMG Petronas F1 Team 381
    2 Nico Rosberg Mercedes AMG Petronas F1 Team 322
    3 Sebastian Vettel Scuderia Ferrari 278
    4 Kimi Räikkönen Scuderia Ferrari 150
    5 Valtteri Bottas Williams Martini Racing-Mercedes 136
    6 Felipe Massa Williams Martini Racing-Mercedes 121
    7 Daniil Kvyat Infiniti Red Bull-Renault 95
    8 Daniel Riccardo Infiniti Red Bull-Renault 92
    9 Sergio Perez Sahara Force India-Mercedes 78
    10 Nico Hulkenberg Sahara Force India-Mercedes 58
    11 Romain Grosjean Lotus-Mercedes 51
    12 Max Verstappen Scuderia Toro Rosso-Renault 49
    13 Felipe Nasr Sauber 27
    14 Pastor Maldonado Lotus-Mercedes 27
    15 Carlos Sainz Jr Scuderia Toro Rosso-Renault 18
    16 Jenson Button McLaren Honda 16
    17 Fernando Alonso McLaren Honda 11
    18 Marcus Ericsson Sauber 9
    19 Roberto Merhi Manor Marussia-Ferrari 0
    20 Alexander Rossi Manor Marussia-Ferrari 0
    21 Will Stevens Manor Marussia-Ferrari 0

POSITION TEAM POINTS
    1 Mercedes 703
    2 Ferrari 428
    3 Williams-Mercedes 257
    4 Red Bull-Renault 189
    5 Force India-Mercedes 136
    6 Lotus-Mercedes 78
    7 Scuderia Toro Rosso-Renault 67
    8 Sauber 36
    9 McLaren-Honda 27
    10 Manor Marussia-Ferrari 0

• Registered Users Posts: 11,756 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

McLaren :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭Uno my Uno.

Very boring final few races in what was already a boring season. Where did nico pull those performances from and why couldn't he do it when it mattered? To be honest I don't really care anymore, I think Nico is a busted flush at this stage, LH has owned him at the crucial times.

I am hopeful that Ferrari will close the gap next year, Vettel and LH dukeing it out would be worth watching I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,756 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

I think the Hungarian GP was the best race we had this season without doubt.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

Hungary comfortably the best race. Fitting considering the events in the build up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,851 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Sorry for nitpicking Ghost Train, but Merhi is ahead of Rossi and Stevens on countback thanks to his 12th in the British GP and 13th in the Russian GP, while Rossi's best results are 12th in the US GP and 14th in Singapore. Stevens' best was 13th in Britain.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,293 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Button beats his world class team mate yet again. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,033 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

mickdw wrote:
    Button beats his world class team mate yet again.

I can't help thinking Alonso's heart wasn't in the second half of the season. I also think Alonso had the lion's share of mechanical problems but I could be wrong on that point.

On a positive note, McLarens beating the Sauber of Ericson is great. McLaren being so spectacularly bad ment Sauber got off lightly for a fairly rubbish season

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

mickdw wrote: »
    Button beats his world class team mate yet again. :)

Hardly on balance really, given the reliability situation. That said, Button has showed his class yet again this year, if there were a world championship for patience and maturity, he'd certainly be lifting it. Massive respect for Jenson :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

#PlacesAlonsoWouldRatherBe has to be the best story line of the year

• Advertisement

KC161 wrote: »
    #PlacesAlonsoWouldRatherBe has to be the best story line of the year

That and "GP2 engine, GP2 engine!" for me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

Myrddin wrote: »
    That and "GP2 engine, GP2 engine!" for me

Best quote of the year without doubt,best picture of the year button and Alonso on the podium in brazil even if it wasn't official,at least they have a sense of humour.

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭ItsChecoTime

My 3 drivers of the year would be Vettel, Verstappen and Perez (totally not biased!)

Vettel was back to his old self this year. Wasn't far off putting it up to the Mercedes and almost got double his teammates points tally.

Verstappen has brought a much needed excitement to this year with some thrilling overtakes. Bags of potential but I'd say he needs another year or two in the TR before stepping up.

Perez I thought had a smashing year, such a pity Force India started so slowly because they could have finished above Red Bull if they had matched their first half of the season (39 points) with their second half (97 points). Perez completely outperformed Hulkenberg.

My 3 races of the season would be the Hungarian, Russian and Austin

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    Id agree on Vettel but I think Verstappen while being an outstanding driver there is a bit of a love in with all the sports casters about him. He makes a simple DRS overtake and they all go weak at the knees. As for Perez I think your own with that one.

Personally I feel there's much more to it than that, he's regularly doing things that nobody else is doing, passing in places nobody else is passing, and for a rookie he races bloody hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Going Strong

No official confirmation as yet but rumours that the Lotus buy out will happen this week. Bernie caved in at the last minute as Renault threatened to walk away leaving Lotus in the lurch and Red Bull without an engine for next year. So Renault get historic team status and Red Bull get an engine to tide them over until 2017.

I really hope Renault put together a better PU for 2016. The sport seriously needs a bit of uncertainty up the front (Red Bull).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,049 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

My 3 drivers of the year would be Vettel, Verstappen and Perez (totally not biased!)

Vettel was back to his old self this year. Wasn't far off putting it up to the Mercedes and almost got double his teammates points tally.

I'd go with that too. Vettels performance this year removed any doubt I had about his ability when not in the best car. I've also become a fan too. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,049 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

I really hope Renault put together a better PU for 2016. The sport seriously needs a bit of uncertainty up the front (Red Bull).

Indeed. The mid-field battles last year were some of the best battles I've ever seen. Because of this, the Hamilton/Rosberg saga and despite the Mercs running away with it, I thought 2014 was a classic. We were robbed of that happening again this year because of Renaults performance and McLaren switching to Honda.

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭ItsChecoTime

Id agree on Vettel but I think Verstappen while being an outstanding driver there is a bit of a love in with all the sports casters about him. He makes a simple DRS overtake and they all go weak at the knees. As for Perez I think your own with that one.

I'd agree to an extent on Verstappen some of his overtakes and performances were over-exaggerated and I think he still has a lot to learn but his pass around Blanchimont on the outside was outstanding, I was fearing we were watching Irvine and Burti take 2 but he pulled it off and kudos to him for that. As for Perez I may be on my own but I do think he's had a really good season.

Hopefully the Ferrari closes the gap next year and we can have a multi-constructor title battle for the first time in a few years

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Yeah, red bull would clearly be very competitive with a better engine, they wouldn't even need to match Mercs horsepower to beat them.

Outside of mercedes the rest of the field is pretty close.

• Advertisement

The people said that he wasn't that good and that it was all down to his car were idiots. You could tell the chap was that good right from the start.

The only blip on his record is Ricciardo wiping the floor with him in 2014. He was clearly dejected at the time, but he's a competitive animal, hard to see him waving a white flag so easily. He is an incredible talent though, and if anyone can break Schumi's record, it'll be Seb.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,305 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

So is there any outstanding business with this season then? Drivers to be confirmed etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,907 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Gintonious wrote: »
    So is there any outstanding business with this season then? Drivers to be confirmed etc?
    Just Manor I believe. Not sure about Sauber though, something in the back of my mind is telling me that they were sticking with their line up.

Fitting isn't it, it couldn't even provide a half interesting silly season :o

Saucer are confirmed, they did that ages ago I think.

F1 2015 really is very forgettable, one or 2 races maybe that were good, no drama, all this fuel saving and keeping the tires.

2016, all eyes are on you.

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭collie0708

Does anyone know when the 2016 calendar will be finalised, I have tickets and flights for the Monaco race but I'm waiting on the date to be confirmed before I book a hotel.

tumblr_nyl1044rTH1rb2fzoo1_540.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,628 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

Gintonious wrote: »
    Saucer are confirmed, they did that ages ago I think.

Ah saucer confirmed, but will there be a cup? ;)

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,293 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

So I wonder is alonso just going to jump in the car at first test then piss off if he doesn't like it?

He might have another mystery medical event if it's not to his liking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,907 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Should we close this thread now and open the 2016 general discussion thread? Because everything that happens from now on will be for the 2016 season.

Advertisement