Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

August 2015 Babies Club

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

Morning all, hope everybody is having a nice bank holiday weekend :)

Is anybody else suffering from varicose veins :o. I worked in retail for 18 years so always had unsightly bulging veins in my right leg but in the past month or two my foot has started to get red veins and is getting a bit sensitive to touch as the day goes on. Putting my feet up does alleviate it but as soon as I'm standing up again they get red and ugly and a bit sensitive. There doesn't seem to be a cure, bar getting surgery after pregnancy, and wearing support socks, putting feet up and sleeping on my left side.

My worry is that as I get heavier, it's only going to get worse and coming into the summer I won't have the tolerance (or the ability to put on!) any kind of socks, let alone support socks.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭catchery

Sorry hun i dont have them in my legs that sounds pretty sore and uncomfortable , i have no tips to help either maybe search on other preg threads you might find something?

catchery wrote: »
    Sorry hun i dont have them in my legs that sounds pretty sore and uncomfortable , i have no tips to help either maybe search on other preg threads you might find something?

I did check the forum, and there's really not much to be done :( So far they're not too bad, but I'm only going to get bigger!
    However, I sure am glad I don't have them "down there"

Yet!!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

Yes, I seem to be getting one at the back of my knee. Grrr..

I've read that most of them go away at the end of the pregnancy but if they don't, there are some ways of treating them.

I did check the forum, and there's really not much to be done :( So far they're not too bad, but I'm only going to get bigger!
    However, I sure am glad I don't have them "down there"

Yet!!

Didnt want to say but i had one down there on my last pregnancy and here i am again with this pregnancy ! Big shocker last time ! Know what it is this time , very uncomfortable , feet up and rest thats all we can do im afraid !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭emka1984

None of this here yet but that doesn't mean that I will be spared! We shall see how it goes... but I don't think there's much that can be done about them once the issue occurs - and most of the time it's hereditary from what I understand.

Feet up and plenty of rest is the best way to ease the discomfort I guess. And the socks you mentioned, too! I was also told that sitting without crossing legs might be helpful to prevent them...

Macha wrote: »
    Yes, I seem to be getting one at the back of my knee. Grrr..

I've read that most of them go away at the end of the pregnancy but if they don't, there are some ways of treating them.

I'd be a candidate for surgery I reckon. I've worked on my feet for most of my working life, and it's taken it's toll. It went from one ugly one in my thigh to another below the knee, and another in my groin, but it's the sudden onset of my foot and the sensitivity in the foot (not as much fat there as anywhere else!) that has me worried. Even this morning before I got out of the bed I held my leg up above my head, my foot looked so normal, no redness or swelling, and as soon as I put my foot on the ground I could feel the blood rushing down and not going back up and it was red/purpley within 20 seconds. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭emka1984

I'd be a candidate for surgery I reckon. I've worked on my feet for most of my working life, and it's taken it's toll. It went from one ugly one in my thigh to another below the knee, and another in my groin, but it's the sudden onset of my foot and the sensitivity in the foot (not as much fat there as anywhere else!) that has me worried. Even this morning before I got out of the bed I held my leg up above my head, my foot looked so normal, no redness or swelling, and as soon as I put my foot on the ground I could feel the blood rushing down and not going back up and it was red/purpley within 20 seconds. :(

Goodness that sounds bad! :-(

emka1984 wrote: »
    Goodness that sounds bad! :-(

Actually when I googled for images there's far worse cases, going by them I don't think I have it that bad yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Dobbit

28 week appointment today, baby's head is down, raring to go!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Ms Tootsie

Aw BM and Catchery sorry to hear you both are having hassle with varicose veins. I dont have them (yet) but the only thing is my gp keeps yelling at me for crossing my legs so it is a habit I am trying to get out of.

Wow Dobbit that's amazing - and also scary! It's all coming around very soon.

Big weekend for us, definitely looking pregnant now. Hubby saw movements from outside - lots of twitches, bumps and shakes can be seen now just by looking at my belly. I even got some on video. Starting to think I must be making a monster baby - kicks are already under my ribs and my family are commenting on how big the bump has got so they reckon I will be very big by the end as I have so much time left to go (I am only 23 wks and 4 days)

Really looking forward to our break to Portugal this weekend. A much needed week away after a crazy few weeks in work!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭irishgirl19

Ouch the varicose veins sound really sore.
    That is very exiting dobbit.
    Enjoy Portugal tootsie. I'm going tomorrow week for 5 nights.
    I asked the doctor for a letter with my due date in case Ryanair ask for it. Only got home and realised they had typed 15/8/1915 instead of 15/02/2015. Don't know how that one happened ha.
    Feeling very tired. Have a sore throat but just have to ride it out.
    I'm also getting bad constipation it's a nightmare:-(

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭cowlove

Ouch the varicose veins sound really sore.
    That is very exiting dobbit.
    Enjoy Portugal tootsie. I'm going tomorrow week for 5 nights.
    I asked the doctor for a letter with my due date in case Ryanair ask for it. Only got home and realised they had typed 15/8/1915 instead of 15/02/2015. Don't know how that one happened ha.
    Feeling very tired. Have a sore throat but just have to ride it out.
    I'm also getting bad constipation it's a nightmare:-(

I also suffered with constipation (the joys!). My GP recommended Fybogel. Its a sachet that you add to water and drink. You have to drink it quick or it turns to jelly. I find it really has helped!

Thanks cowlove.can u buy that over the counter?

Thanks cowlove.can u buy that over the counter?

Yeah its about €4 for about 10 sachets. I was scared to drink it as it sounded disgusting but it comes in orange flavour and is just like drinking an orange drink.

Packets says twice a day for adults but my doctor said once a day for pregnant women.

Oh I wonder should I get a letter as well? When I go I will only be 24 weeks.

Thanks cowlove.
    Tootsie it depends on the airline,with Ryanair u need a letter at 28 weeks but I'll be 27 coming home so just bringing one just to be safe

You must be really looking forward to the break IrishGirl, I know I am! :D

Tootsie you and I are pretty much the same dates, I'm 23+5 today :D

Had hospital appointment this morning, waiting room crammed, thought I was in for the long haul, and I was in and out in 40 minutes! Doctor was happy with everything, although she had to keep moving the doppler to get a decent audible heartbeat as baby kept turning somersaults. She told me I had "an active little baby" - Oh yes, I sure know, 4.30am this morning the kicking woke me up! And baby kicking again now as I type! I'm getting the belly movements too - it's fascinating watching your belly moving with little kicks!

I can't really complain too much about the varicose veins, so far they're not hurting - my foot feels sensitive but it's not in pain. I suppose it's payback for not a jot of morning sickness/nausea :o

My little one is doing mad kicks and somersaults today as well :)

• Advertisement

Tootsie you and I are pretty much the same dates, I'm 23+5 today :D

Had hospital appointment this morning, waiting room crammed, thought I was in for the long haul, and I was in and out in 40 minutes! Doctor was happy with everything, although she had to keep moving the doppler to get a decent audible heartbeat as baby kept turning somersaults. She told me I had "an active little baby" - Oh yes, I sure know, 4.30am this morning the kicking woke me up! And baby kicking again now as I type! I'm getting the belly movements too - it's fascinating watching your belly moving with little kicks!

We are copy cats lol! The movements from the outside are fascinating to see arent they? Sometimes I wonder if this one ever sleeps they always seem to be on the go. They particularly love a good kicking session right when I am comfortable in bed about to doze off for the night :rolleyes:

Urgh I can't be bothered packing tonight for holidays #firstworldproblems I wonder could I bribe the OH into doing it with the oul 'I'm pregnant' card lol

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭VandC

Ms Tootsie wrote:
    Urgh I can't be bothered packing tonight for holidays #firstworldproblems I wonder could I bribe the OH into doing it with the oul 'I'm pregnant' card lol

Went on hols myself this week. Didn't buy flight socks until I was in airport. Lesson learned! Balancing on one foot, doing some sort of yoga like pose, pulling up tight socks at six months preggers is mighty hard. I feel a marathon would have been easier!! Lol

lol impressive being able to balance on one foot while 6 months pregnant!

Also I totally forgot about flight socks. Have them in the house somewhere, I must hoke them out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭VandC

Yeah worth it! Especially if you're like me and prone to swelling on even short fights. I fear those days of balancing are coming to an end. Wasn't easy but was either that or sit on toilet that had no lid. :-/

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

Thanks also from me. I'll hopefully be flying soon so I'll definitely have to pack those.

Have any of you done the gestational diabetes glucose test? I did it yesterday - it was fine if a bit boring sitting there for two hours. My heart was racing after drinking the glucose drink though, which wasn't fun. It's pretty standard here in Belgium but I think in other countries you only do it if you have a risk factor for it.

Macha wrote: »
    Thanks also from me. I'll hopefully be flying soon so I'll definitely have to pack those.

Have any of you done the gestational diabetes glucose test? I did it yesterday - it was fine if a bit boring sitting there for two hours. My heart was racing after drinking the glucose drink though, which wasn't fun. It's pretty standard here in Belgium but I think in other countries you only do it if you have a risk factor for it.

I'm scheduled to do it 2 weeks today. But it's compulsory in the hospital I'm attending because I'm over 40.

Hi all lucky ladies coming and going on hols enjoy the break away ! I also have my glucose test in 2weeks but i got it done on both previous pregnancies due to my size ☺ but never had it ! I have also been diagnosed with spd which i never had before and is very very painful and i may have to finish up in work now ! Will know more next week 😯

Hey macha I have mine this Monday. I'd say its going to be very boring. I have to get it because I have polycystic ovaries.
    I think I get a phone call that evening if they suspect I have it.

Cathery you poor thing I hope your keeping well.sounds very uncomfortable.

26 weeks today I'm delighted with myself :-)

Just edited that there.for some reason I reas borderline Meath had the SPD not cathery lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Dobbit

I was told on my last appointment that they won't be testing me for it. I'm a little over the normal weight gain but must not be enough to warrant testing.

Bought my first bits for the hospital bag today, nightie, pjs, maternity pads & nappies. Boots are having a baby event so there's some good stuff on offer.

Advertisement