Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

August 2015 Babies Club

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭irishgirl19

Ah maybe I'll get away with it so :)

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭emka1984

Happy Easter everyone! :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭catchery

Happy Easter emka !

Definitely feeling movements now and boyfriend felt one too :) so exciting. Hope everyone had a good Easter

Definitely feeling movements now and boyfriend felt one too :) so exciting. Hope everyone had a good Easter

Awesome! Very happy for you! Fantastic feeling, isn't it? :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

Excellent!!

Although my little nocturnal baby was keeping me awake fluttering about at 5am this morning :o.

On another topic, has anybody been for any scheduled GP visits? I have only been once, when I confirmed the pregnancy and filled out the paperwork for combined care. Apart from the broken sleep and varicose veins, I've had a trouble free time so far, but should I be making routine appointments in between hospital appointments? My next appt in the hospital is 2 weeks today, but I don't want to just take up their time for nothing if I don't need it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 339 ✭✭Allirog

Excellent!!

Although my little nocturnal baby was keeping me awake fluttering about at 5am this morning :o.

On another topic, has anybody been for any scheduled GP visits? I have only been once, when I confirmed the pregnancy and filled out the paperwork for combined care. Apart from the broken sleep and varicose veins, I've had a trouble free time so far, but should I be making routine appointments in between hospital appointments? My next appt in the hospital is 2 weeks today, but I don't want to just take up their time for nothing if I don't need it?

Mine had me awake for an hour this morning about 4am literally just knocking the crap outta me! :D

How many weeks are you now? I know I returned to the hospital and was told to make a gp visit for 30 weeks and then hospital at 32 weeks. But I also had a gp visit at 24 weeks? My gp gave me a sheet with the time frames on it of when to return to her.

Allirog wrote: »
    Mine had me awake for an hour this morning about 4am literally just knocking the crap outta me! :D

How many weeks are you now? I know I returned to the hospital and was told to make a gp visit for 30 weeks and then hospital at 32 weeks. But I also had a gp visit at 24 weeks? My gp gave me a sheet with the time frames on it of when to return to her.

20 weeks this week. I had half a notion that I was meant to be going in between hospital visits but wasn't sure!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 339 ✭✭Allirog

Ok, you need to make a 24 weeks visit to your gp. Have you a return hospital appointment for 28 weeks?

Allirog wrote: »
    Ok, you need to make a 24 weeks visit to your gp. Have you a return hospital appointment for 28 weeks?

I have a scan at 21 weeks, I have another appointment at 26 weeks for a glucose intolerance test (compulsory over 40 in the hosp I'm attending) and then nothing booked after that, but hoping that if the glucose test is negative that I'll be able to be transferred from Consultant care to the Midwifery unit.

TBH, I'm not the type of person to run to the doctor, I'm lucky with my health and I hadn't been in maybe 10 years until I found out I was pregnant!

• Advertisement

Did the hospital not tell you when to go? Last time I was in the coombe they said go see your gp in 4 weeks. If you go see the gp anyway they will tell you when to come back

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Dobbit

Holles Street told me at my 12 week appointment to go to the GP at 24 weeks and come back to them at 28. As it happens my GP doesn't do combined care so I'm doing all my appointments at Holles Street now.

Nope, not that I recall. I was in 3 different departments though, getting booked in, scanned and bloods done. I'll be in getting a scan 2 weeks today so I'll ask then.

I was asked to make a gp appointment between my first scan at 13 weeks and my big scan at 21 weeks. So I was around 17 weeks when I saw my gp. I now have a consultant visit in the hospital at the end of April, around week 24-25, and from then on am meant to be told if I need to continue with the hospital only or if I can avail of the midwives' care. Not sure when I'm going to see the gp next... I hope they tell me in the hospital :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Dobbit

Sitting in the waiting room of holles street for my 24 week appointment. Starting to get really annoyed with them assuming I know everything. "You do know that because your doctor doesn't do combined care you'll have to pay for your post natal check ups?" How in the name of Jaysus would I know that? I didn't know they were even supposed to be free to begin with!!?

Me: "ok so should I find a new gp?"
    Her: "well you might have a relationship with your gp, I just wanted to check you knew you had to pay"
    Me "..."

Way to not answer my question.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭VandC

How frustrating!!

I find it all very confusing too tbh. Another person who sits beside me in work, due same week,attending same hospital has completely different appts to me. Only difference is we have different gps but both do combined care. I don't get it at all. It's both our first time and we are both confused even more so after we compare experiences!!

On the way in for the 20 week scan. Hoping we get to see what it is :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭VandC

Anybody else suffering with insomnia? Only sleep max four hours a night ,not sure why. 21.5 weeks now. Still can't feel baby move so it's not that. Been like this weeks now and it's starting to get to me and it's more difficult to keep the cranky at bay. My poor ever understanding OH :-)

On the way in for the 20 week scan. Hoping we get to see what it is
    Best of luck poppa dollars.hopefully baby is in a good position. I have mine next week

VandC wrote: »
    Anybody else suffering with insomnia? Only sleep max four hours a night ,not sure why. 21.5 weeks now. Still can't feel baby move so it's not that. Been like this weeks now and it's starting to get to me and it's more difficult to keep the cranky at bay. My poor ever understanding OH :-)

Yep, have had maybe 2 nights full sleep since Christmas :o. I've a bit more control over it now, I used to be so tired and going to bed early, waking at 3.30-4am and awake for 2 hours then maybe a half hour or an hours sleep so I'd be exhausted getting up. I'm forcing myself to stay up later so while I'm still waking up, I'm getting back to sleep far quicker. I'm finding it really tough staying up past 11pm but I know if I go to bed early I'll be wide awake at 4am.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Ms Tootsie

Good luck Pappa Dolla

Bump has arrived, I officially look (kinda) pregnant. If you didnt know me you would still think I was just too fond of the pies at lunch but I am happy to have a little bump now :D

Ah that's great tootsie. Its funny some people are telling me I look really big already and others are saying I'm tiny. I don't know if they are trying to be polite because I certainly am not tiny ha. I've had a few people from my job say congrats to me so I must be obvious now
    Can any recommend anything for stretch marks? I've loads on my boobs out of nowhere :(

I've had people commenting on my bump in the past few days. Some are saying "where did it suddenly come from?" I think because with the warm weather I'm wearing a lot less layers so it's fairly obvious and it's gone past the point of trying to hide it with bigger clothes. I had been covered up in baggy fleeces but it's not exactly fleece weather this week!

A very sleepless night last night. Bed after 11.30, awake at 3.30 and never properly got back to sleep :(

Hope the Pappa & Mamma Dollas scan went well :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

Yep I went into work and someone said 'Oh, now it's getting serious'!

Is anyone else getting into trouble for putting on too much weight? At 19 weeks I had put on 15 lbs and my gynaecologist wasn't very happy with me.. I'm finding it hard to know exactly how much to eat without counting calories.

Scan was great. The midwife had a student with her, so she was pointing out everything! "There's the kidneys, there's the left ventricle, there's the right". Really very thorough.

She was very happy said everything looked great, Mamma Dolla over the moon as she's having a little baby girl :D

Hi macha i gained 4 stone on my last pregnancy and i weighed myself the day after i gave birth with my son who was 10lb i was 3 stone lighter !!! Most of my weight was in my bump i carried loads of fluid ! I did not have diabetes i had the test done because i was so big ! I was very aware of eating too much and craved raw veg and fruit luckily ! My doc never made a big deal and did not even weigh me ! You should not be watching everything for calories hun , just try different things that are healthier ! You are starving most of the times after the sickness subsides and need to eat when you are hungry ! So try work out healthy snacks that you enjoy and satisfy your hunger ! This weight gain will calm down as you go along too dont worry enjoy your pregnancy ! I swam 4 times a week right up to the end of pregnancy which also helped ! This time i dont have time to go swimming with two small ones and the expense so cleaning the house is my new exercise lol !

Congratultions papa dolla delighted all went well !

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

Thanks Catchery, that's some good advice.

Pappa Dolla, great news!

• Advertisement

Ah that's great tootsie. Its funny some people are telling me I look really big already and others are saying I'm tiny. I don't know if they are trying to be polite because I certainly am not tiny ha. I've had a few people from my job say congrats to me so I must be obvious now
    Can any recommend anything for stretch marks? I've loads on my boobs out of nowhere :(

I am using mama mio for stretch marks. So far I have none (but I doubt I will escape the curse) but I found it did wonders to help the itch. Happy to have avoided them on my boobs as I am up 3 sizes already :eek:
    I've had people commenting on my bump in the past few days. Some are saying "where did it suddenly come from?" I think because with the warm weather I'm wearing a lot less layers so it's fairly obvious and it's gone past the point of trying to hide it with bigger clothes. I had been covered up in baggy fleeces but it's not exactly fleece weather this week!

A very sleepless night last night. Bed after 11.30, awake at 3.30 and never properly got back to sleep :(

I was out of the office for a few days, came back in and seem to have shocked people with the appearance of my bump. I swear I am not kidding bumps seem to appear overnight. My consultant said that a woman will be small until the muscles start to relax and seperate and once that starts over the next 48 hrs everything will move up and forward and bump will 'magically' appear. lol Because the muscles hold for a bit longer on your first bump seems to appear out of nowhere. Apparently anyway.
    Macha wrote: »
    Yep I went into work and someone said 'Oh, now it's getting serious'!

Is anyone else getting into trouble for putting on too much weight? At 19 weeks I had put on 15 lbs and my gynaecologist wasn't very happy with me.. I'm finding it hard to know exactly how much to eat without counting calories.

LOL as if it wasnt real until you started to show ;)

As for the weight I can only second the FANTASTIC advice from Catchery. Dont worry about counting calories, eat when you are hungry and try to eat a balanced and varied diet throw in some walking (I go swimming but I havent been in two weeks and I am starting pregnancy pilates) and you will be fine. The average recommended weight gain for 20 weeks is around 12lbs and sure thats only 3lbs less than what you were at so fret not. My midwife said some weeks we will pile on the pounds and other weeks we will gain nothing, in the end it all averages out and as long as baby is healthy and happy worry about hitting the treadmill to lose the extras after baby arrives. Sure at the beginning they were hammering on at my about gaining too little - we can never keep them happy one way or the other - and yet now I am almost on track.
    Scan was great.
    She was very happy said everything looked great, Mamma Dolla over the moon as she's having a little baby girl :D

Congrats on the scan going well Pappa Dolla and congrats on finding out you and Mamma Dolla are expecting a little dolla ;)

Advertisement