Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seems like a good deal on coal....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

catrat12 wrote: »
    Sorry call me stupid If you like but what are ovoids and i have a 6kw stove where i just burn logs and smokeless coal

You’re stupid
    Only joking, I use super therm ovoids and about 8 pieces will keep my stove going for a good few hours, I also use rekord briquettes and a few blocks too
    I have the same size stove as you I think and it costs about €10 a week to keep my place warm

http://www.coalmerchantsfederation.co.uk/products/smokeless-ovoids

The internet isn’t for everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

How are you finding burning coal vs wood? On a cost basis?

You could get a fair bit of wood for the 350 for tonne/1000kg of coal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 597 ✭✭✭clfy39tzve8njq

Wood is fine if it's just a space heater but if you're heating rads you need coal in my opinion

You could get a fair bit of wood for the 350 for tonne/1000kg of coal

Wood burns too quick in my small stove and the heat isn’t as good

I make a bed of 3 rekord briquettes and then top up with ovoids for the day and when they are dying off in the evening I throw on a log or two

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭Sasso

New to stove world, so please remove if inappropriate in BA forum.
    I have an 8kw stand alone stove and I got a supply of hardwood from local yard. So its the wood versus coal argument.
    My question is can I burn wood with coal or is that a no no . I know that there will be wood only subscribers too.
    Second will I follow advice here and dive in to a ton of ovoids and if so it looks like Easy Glow are popular ?
    Thanks in advance( as I know this has possible been asked previously)

• Advertisement

Sasso wrote: »
    I have an 8kw stand alone stove and I got a supply of hardwood from local yard. So its the wood versus coal argument.
    My question is can I burn wood with coal or is that a no no . I know that there will be wood only subscribers too.
    Second will I follow advice here and dive in to a ton of ovoids and if so it looks like Easy Glow are popular ?

it's a no no to burn wood and coal together, the coal gas contains sulphur dioxide and this mixes with the water in the wood, giving you sulphuric acid

Which is bad for the steel in you flue and stove

hard to say how long you would need to do this for to cause wear though

• Registered Users Posts: 8,293 ✭✭✭jmreire

Ordered tonne of small ovoids from easyglow online over weekend and they arrived this evening - rural Galway address.

Paid with PayPal and used my banks exchange rate - worked out at 378euro delivered which is roughly 7.50 a bag.

It's great coal - third tonne we've bought from them and I'm comparing to local ovoids and kosy king ovoids. Kosy was good aswell but I prefer these overall

That sounds like a good deal, and you are happy with it.. and I would be too, I think, but my stove is a Charnwood 16 B Multi-Fuel, and it specifically says NOT to use singles ( whatever they are??? Small Ovoids, maybe? ) Anyone have any idea about this? Thanks. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 41 WindWarrior

Have used Coal Warehouse ovoids for last few years and am happy with quality but I am wondering what's the quality like with Colombian doubles or Colombian coal for an open fire from Coal Warehouse. I want to order a split pallet of ovoids and something for an open fire for a family member.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Burn away.....

Normally I put 2 large dried logs on either side, use small stick to start and then throw coal in on top once it gets going....then every so often will throw in another large log along with buckets of coal.....

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Burn away.....

Normally I put 2 large dried logs on either side, use small stick to start and then throw coal in on top once it gets going....then every so often will throw in another large log along with buckets of coal.....

Another issue is how wood and coal burns efficiently, they have different oxygen requirements

The coal burning will starve the wood on top of oxygen and won't burn as effectively or efficently

• Advertisement

Another issue is how wood and coal burns efficiently, they have different oxygen requirements

The coal burning will starve the wood on top of oxygen and won't burn as effectively or efficently

Yeah it is great at night time. I have a 30kW Stove

Load up with coal and wood before bed, in middle of night the radiators will still be warm:D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,506 ✭✭✭✭vectra

I got 2 tonne from them last year and found their ovoids great..
    I got a mixed pallet first as I was unsure to get either large or small ovoids.
    I got the small ones for my second tonne as I found they burned down better.
    This is in a backboiler with a door attached.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,682 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

I was told today I can get a actual coal pallet of coal which is 1.6 tonne for 300. I need to get more info though. People talk a lot of crap.

I was told today I can get a actual coal pallet of coal which is 1.6 tonne for 300. I need to get more info though. People talk a lot of crap.

Careful now you could end up with painted stones
    I know two families that shared 3 pallets of cheap coal last year and it was absolute muck, the grates were full the morning after the fire and poor heat too

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Bigserious1

I know this isn't the correct thread but any recommendations for wood delivery in Dublin? Small logs for a stove.

This thread gets more hits than anything on the plumbing/heating forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭Sasso

vectra wrote: »
    I got 2 tonne from them last year and found their ovoids great..
    I got a mixed pallet first as I was unsure to get either large or small ovoids.
    I got the small ones for my second tonne as I found they burned down better.
    This is in a backboiler with a door attached.

I got EasyGlow last year, 50-50 mix as well for 2 stoves.

It was brillant but they seem expensive this year compared to Kosy King who I had before, I thought Easy Glow was better alright

• Registered Users Posts: 15,506 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    I got EasyGlow last year, 50-50 mix as well for 2 stoves.

It was brillant but they seem expensive this year compared to Kosy King who I had before, I thought Easy Glow was better alright

I paid 380 tonne last year
    Still the same I think?

• Registered Users Posts: 37 DougPeterson

All fuel is increasing by €30 from Monday 17th September from the Coal Warehouse Merchants, I want to order a tonne of coal today or tomorrow, I'm caught between polish premium and black diamond, has anyone put a match to cw coal recently to test the quality?? Would really appreciate knocking a few heads together.

vectra wrote: »
    I paid 380 tonne last year
    Still the same I think?

Maybe I did as well :P

It was great coal....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭chasm

All fuel is increasing by €30 from Monday 17th September from the Coal Warehouse Merchants, I want to order a tonne of coal today or tomorrow, I'm caught between polish premium and black diamond, has anyone put a match to cw coal recently to test the quality?? Would really appreciate knocking a few heads together.

I got the polish coal a couple of weeks ago, very happy with it, burning it in a stove and it lets out great heat and only a few cinders in the morning.

Thanks chasm,and did you get it at €175 for a tonne?can i ask what logistics company you chose to deliver?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Tinder Surprise

Thanks for the heads up..just ordered a tonne and now have to organise transport.

What exactly are Liam Connolly charging now for a tonne pallet shipped?

Thanks for the heads up..just ordered a tonne and now have to organise transport.

May i ask what coal did you put an order in for? Have you used this crowd before?Im a new customer about to make an order with them,wondering if the Polish coal from these guys is decent enough? Im still figuring out what logistics company to use also,i see on their facebook page that their usual couriers have gone up on cost per tonne to deliver,i think Liam Connolly is the crowd's name.

"Please note we have been informed by one of your regular couriers Liam Connolly Road Freight that from 1st September the new price for your coal to be collected here and delivered anywhere in ROI will be £60 + VAT + 5% Fuel Surcharge which is £75.60 at today's exchange rate will be €85-87 per tonne" copy and pasted from their facebook page,their most recent post

May i ask what coal did you put an order in for? Have you used this crowd before?Im a new customer about to make an order with them,wondering if the Polish coal from these guys is decent enough? Im still figuring out what logistics company to use also,i see on their facebook page that their usual couriers have gone up on cost per tonne to deliver,i think Liam Connolly is the crowd's name.

I myself order the ovoids for my stove which I find excellent.

I ordered for my mother this time around and last year ordered the Black Diamond but gong for the Black Colombian this time around - aint tried yet so cant comment

I myself order the ovoids for my stove which I find excellent.

I ordered for my mother this time around and last year ordered the Black Diamond but gong for the Black Colombian this time around - aint tried yet so cant comment
    Ah okay,i get you..and what was the black diamond like that you ordered last year? why Colombian this year?

Ah okay,i get you..and what was the black diamond like that you ordered last year? why Colombian this year?

There was a slight problem with the Black Diamond last year, but quickly sorted by the CW

I asked about what is best for open fire (no back boiler) and they suggested i try the Black Colombian, so just went for it.

There was a slight problem with the Black Diamond last year, but quickly sorted by the CW

I asked about what is best for open fire (no back boiler) and they suggested i try the Black Colombian, so just went for it.
    Did they exchange it for another tonne or how did they resolve it for you?

Okay,im swaying toward black diamond as i have the back boiler system,contacted the lads in cw,and said the black diamond would be better,but the polish premium is still a very good coal to burn

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭chasm

Thanks chasm,and did you get it at €175 for a tonne?can i ask what logistics company you chose to deliver?

Yes, it was €175 a tonne when I ordered, and I went with Liam Connolly for delivery as my order was placed before the price increases. Happy with the Polish coal and find it is heating the rads well, even with a small fire lit.

Advertisement