Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seems like a good deal on coal....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

I could have written that post Berberis

I’ve tried both the polish and black diamond, the polish was put dirt, filthy Smokey burned quickly and not much heat from it. The BD was a bit better, less thick smoke and better heat and burn life but neither came close to the Stafford’s sliver bag, it had great heat from it and it’s size was perfect, CW coal either like marbles or boulders.

Can I ask where are you getting 25 x 40kg bags of the Stafford’s silver bag for €450, that’s €18 a bag by my calcs, was paying just under €20 a bag last year myself?

Be interested to hear about the Colombian too, where is the origin of the Stafford’s silver bag coal I wonder? Thinks it polish but hardly same mine as the CW one

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭Berberis

vicwatson wrote: »
    I could have written that post Berberis

I’ve tried both the polish and black diamond, the polish was put dirt, filthy Smokey burned quickly and not much heat from it. The BD was a bit better, less thick smoke and better heat and burn life but neither came close to the Stafford’s sliver bag, it had great heat from it and it’s size was perfect, CW coal either like marbles or boulders.

Can I ask where are you getting 25 x 40kg bags of the Stafford’s silver bag for €450, that’s €18 a bag by my calcs, was paying just under €20 a bag last year myself?

Be interested to hear about the Colombian too, where is the origin of the Stafford’s silver bag coal I wonder? Thinks it polish but hardly same mine as the CW one

Quinns they have stores in Naas, Athy, Baltinglass and few other places I think.
    They did say its going up shorthly with the carbon tax
    Asked what there cheapest price for 25 bags was and they said €17.75 per bag

€17.75 is an excellent price

• Registered Users Posts: 2,773 ✭✭✭taytobreath

new price list today, a fairly heafty increase on all prices

present prices

Polish Coal - €200
    Black Diamond - €240
    Columbian Doubles - €240
    Columbian Coal - €260
    Smokeless Coals - €300
    Union Nuggets - €250
    Singles - €165
    Slack - €130

Past prices

Polish coal €175 / £150
    ��Black diamond €210 / £180
    ��Colombian doubles €210 / £180
    ��Colombian Coal €230 / £200
    ��Countryblend €260 / £225
    ��Clearflame €260 / £225
    ��Smokeless ovoids €260 / £225
    ��Union nuggets €230 / £200
    ��Singles €140 / £120
    ��Slack €110 / £95

new price list today, a fairly heafty increase on all prices

present prices

Polish Coal - €200
    Black Diamond - €240
    Columbian Doubles - €240
    Columbian Coal - €260
    Smokeless Coals - €300
    Union Nuggets - €250
    Singles - €165
    Slack - €130

Past prices

Polish coal €175 / £150
    ��Black diamond €210 / £180
    ��Colombian doubles €210 / £180
    ��Colombian Coal €230 / £200
    ��Countryblend €260 / £225
    ��Clearflame €260 / £225
    ��Smokeless ovoids €260 / £225
    ��Union nuggets €230 / £200
    ��Singles €140 / £120
    ��Slack €110 / £95

They are hefty prices alright!! Added with a €75 delivery for me.

€375 all in for ovoids thats €15 a bag delivered.

One local dealer will do Staffords Silver bags for €460 a ton or €18-40 per bag delivered.

For a saving of that little Ive decided that Im staying local for sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Tinder Surprise

TheTorment wrote: »
    One local dealer will do Staffords Silver bags for €460 a ton or €18-40 per bag delivered.

are these Ovoids and any use?

I really like the CW ovoids but yea, current price increases are now putting them in the 'is it really worth the hassle' category

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

2-3 quid a bag x 25 bags is still decent savings. Plus you get a work out hauling them off the pallet and you get a pallet for kindling or other projects.
    Still a fan I have to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,835 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

260 plus 75 is 335, so 13.40 per bag.

OOOPs, my apologies was looking at last weeks price.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

at 375 for the ovoids would Kosy Kings anthracite at 400 inc delivery be a better option?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,835 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Someone here recently mentioned that the polish coal was very good, I asked Coal warehouse before ordering was it the same supplier as last year and was assured there are no more issues with it like there was last year.

Joe McGovern will be delivering (67.65 incl. vat to Kerry) so looking forward to testing it in next couple of days.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

Your dead right, I can buy 5 bags of super therm ovoids at a time locally and have them delivered for €17.80 a bag

The internet isn’t for everyone

OmegaGene wrote: »
    Your dead right, I can buy 5 bags at a time locally and have them delivered for €17.80 a bag

Where are you getting the silver staffords for 18/sub 18?

vicwatson wrote: »
    Where are you getting the silver staffords for 18/sub 18?

I'd like to know that too!!

My local man is Noel Stafford

are these Ovoids and any use?

I really like the CW ovoids but yea, current price increases are now putting them in the 'is it really worth the hassle' category

They are not ovoids but the are a seriously good coal

They are not ovoids but the are a seriously good coal

Stove friendly?

Stove friendly?

Im no expert but Ive used them regularly in my stove when I ran out of ovoids and for a couple of years before I started using Coalwarehouse and I had no issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 pzermelzer

Last year's ovoids were so wet i was in 2 minds whether to go again but now with price hike I think it's mind made up. KK or EG for me I think. Any other options?

• Registered Users Posts: 37 DougPeterson

I had a tonne of CW black diamond delivered to me yesterday by Warde Groupage.I couldn't be happier with the Coal, I have an open fire with a back burner system and the heat the diamond delivers is just amazing! Warde Groupage charged me €72 all in for the pallet delivery, and the service was excellent, no issues at all.

The Coal was ordered on Monday afternoon and arrived to my door yesterday before lunch,and I'm even happier that I bought the tonne of coal at the old price (€210)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭6541

www.coaldirect.net

Anyone ever hear of these. They seem cheap ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Bazzy

would be interested to hear if anyone ordered off coal direct either about to hit the button on an order and would appreciate the feedback

• Advertisement

Some feedback:

My mother is raving about the Columbian coal from C.W

says it's like 'the coal of old' :)

Does seem great heat and flame from it whenever I'm down.

I bought some of the Beatty champion coal in January this year from local fuel merchant. I was very happy with it in my open fire.
    Think I'll order a ton of that from coaldirect. seems good value for approx €335 delivered.
    Anyone on here ever order from coaldirect, care to give a review

• Registered Users Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Bazzy

Berberis wrote: »
    I bought some of the Beatty champion coal in January this year from local fuel merchant. I was very happy with it in my open fire.
    Think I'll order a ton of that from coaldirect. seems good value for approx €335 delivered.
    Anyone on here ever order from coaldirect, care to give a review

I think i'll go for the superflame from coal direct

I know they factor delivery into the cost price but paying 60 odd pound for delivery turns me off it for some reason from CW

Bazzy wrote: »
    I think i'll go for the superflame from coal direct

I know they factor delivery into the cost price but paying 60 odd pound for delivery turns me off it for some reason from CW

Do you mean the supermix.
    I cant see superflame on their website.

correction, Just seen it now

Found a dealer yesterday who will do me a ton of Stafford's Superior coal for 445 that's 17-80 a bag.

I'll get it next week as i reckon there'll be a hefty carbon tax on the upcoming budget!

Found a dealer yesterday who will do me a ton of Stafford's Superior coal for 445 that's 17-80 a bag.

I'll get it next week as i reckon there'll be a hefty carbon tax on the upcoming budget!

I wasn’t expecting a carbon tax increase considering they banned Smokey coal in the last budget, when stocks in the country are gone that’s it isn’t it ?
    I rang my usual supplier on Friday to make an order and he said supertherm ovoids are dropping in price this year and he will have a good price Monday for me, he was €89 for 5 bags last year so if it’s cheaper I will be happy
    The heat is great from them

Oh dear I took this from the independent

:- Ireland is falling far short of achieving its 2020, 2030 and 2050 climate change targets.

In a scathing annual report, recently published, the Climate Change Advisory Council said Ireland is in an “even worse position” compared to the previous year as greenhouse gas emissions increased again.

A carbon tax was introduced in Ireland in 2010. It applies to kerosene, marked gas oil, liquid petroleum gas, fuel oil, natural gas and solid fuels.

The rate is currently €20 per tonne. However, the Citizens’ Assembly was told during its sessions on climate change that Ireland would need to introduce a carbon tax as high as €70 on coal, turf and other products to improve emissions targets.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,504 ✭✭✭✭vectra

OmegaGene wrote: »
    I wasn’t expecting a carbon tax increase considering they banned Smokey coal in the last budget, when stocks in the country are gone that’s it isn’t it ?
    I rang my usual cupplier on Friday to make an order and he said supertherm ovoids are dropping in price this year and he will have a good price Monday for me, he was €89 for 5 bags last year so if it’s cheaper I will be happy
    The heat is great from them

Keep us posted.
    I asked in my local Co-op stores recently and the best they could offer was €450 tonne delivered.

vectra wrote: »
    Keep us posted.
    I asked in my local Co-op stores recently and the best they could offer was €450 tonne delivered.

Co-op are useless for a discount tbh my local will give me 2 bags for €38 and that’s the best price no matter how many I buy and then it’s €25 to the local courier to drop it out to me

• Advertisement

Care to share? ;)

Advertisement