Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seems like a good deal on coal....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Cheers for pm torment

• Registered Users Posts: 15,504 ✭✭✭✭vectra

OmegaGene wrote: »
    Your local supplier is very expensive, I’m getting super therm ovoids for €17.80 for 1 x 40kg bag delivered, he’s calling me next week for a deal on 25 bags, he’s guessing around the €400 mark

€400 delivered?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

vectra wrote: »
    Keep us posted.
    I asked in my local Co-op stores recently and the best they could offer was €450 tonne delivered.

I will post the price here tomorrow when I call them

The internet isn’t for everyone

I will post the price here tomorrow when I call them

As far as I recall.
    You are in the same area as myself?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,827 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Stove friendly?

This is key. I buy locally & pay €9 for a 20kg bag of Ecobrite. It seems expensive but burns so slowly & efficiently that it's good value. My stove is still like new, no soot & the glass stays clear.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭Berberis

has anyone ordered from coaldirect.net.
    Just wondering how long delivery normally takes. tried ringing them a few times today while in work but lines were busy and rang out other times

• Registered Users Posts: 1,725 ✭✭✭bigron2109

Anyone order from Easyglow over the past couple of weeks?Is the quality as good as last year. Got a Tonne of the large Ovoids last year and they were super. Going to give him a bell this afternoon any order another tonne if they are still as good.

bigron2109 wrote: »
    Anyone order from Easyglow over the past couple of weeks?Is the quality as good as last year. Got a Tonne of the large Ovoids last year and they were super. Going to give him a bell this afternoon any order another tonne if they are still as good.

Just been onto EasyGlow. Their prices have none gone up. A ton is €414.

Thinking of ordering from Coaldirect now as it would be cheaper. Looking for some advice please. I used a large Ovoid last year from Eassyglow and would like the same this year . Should I go for the Superflame or the Maxi from Coaldirect.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

The place I posted about a week or so ago in Oylegate, Wexford have put up the price of 2x40 kg bags of Stafford's coal to €29. I think the ovoids were about a Euro more for 2 bags. Buying them individually costs more.
    Still great value though.

The place I posted about a week or so ago in Oylegate, Wexford have put up the price of 2x40 kg bags of Stafford's coal to €29. I think the ovoids were about a Euro more for 2 bags. Buying them individually costs more.
    Still great value though.

Is this for the silver bags of Staffords Superior coal?

• Advertisement

With the price increases in the north and delivery costs I’m sticking to star fuels in Mitchelstown the super therm ovoids are very good for heat and worth the money in my opinion, 20 bags delivered for €360
    I only used 10 bags last season and I worked out my fuel was only costing around €10 a week using that and the rekord briquettes

Berberis wrote: »
    has anyone ordered from coaldirect.net.
    Just wondering how long delivery normally takes. tried ringing them a few times today while in work but lines were busy and rang out other times

Got through this morning. Told takes 3 to 5 days for delivery. All orders have to be done online.
    Ordered a ton of the champion coal through PayPal. Will give feedback for others when I get delivery and have a chance to burn it

Was onto Coal Direct today and speaking to a nice lad called Kieran. He said the Coalite is tbe very same as the large ovoids from Easyglow which I got this year . At £329 that works out at €368 a ton so still cheaper than Easyglow.

The other option he said is Maxibrite which is £349 a ton and that works out at €390 a ton. Both of these prices include free delivery too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭funnyname

Which companies in the North do 20kg bags?

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭john_doe.

New to this. Have an open fire and Stove , do people use the same type of coal in both and order a ton to cover both ?

Ordered a Ton from Coal direct or the Coalite. Will keep people updated on when it arrives and if it is any good.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

john_doe. wrote: »
    New to this. Have an open fire and Stove , do people use the same type of coal in both and order a ton to cover both ?

I mix ordinary coal and ovoids in my stove. Others here do the same for open fires too.

I mix ordinary coal and ovoids in my stove. Others here do the same for open fires too.

Thanks

Attached is the stuff I burnt in stove last year. Was Ok for stove. Burnt very quickly in open fire.

I used the Polish coal in open fire and found it much better.

How does this compare size wise to the Easyglow stuff?
    Also does anyone use this type.?

I noticed when posting this , you can get a ton for €362 . Think delivery is 50.

http://thedandys.ie/product/surelite-20-kg-1-tonne-pallets/

The picture you posted with the coal, that piece looks about the same size of the large ovoid from Easyglow which I used last year. I found them excellent. The only reason I am not going with them this year as the price as gone up.

The picture you posted with the coal, that piece looks about the same size of the large ovoid from Easyglow which I used last year. I found them excellent. The only reason I am not going with them this year as the price as gone up.

Thanks I found these ones good in stove , but burned way too quick in open fire.
    I looked at the Facebook page of coal warehouse and there was a post also praising these guys who deliver to southern Ireland.
    I've contacted them for price.
    Probably not the cheapest but seems good quality and cheaper than where I buy locally

http://thedandys.ie

• Advertisement

john_doe. wrote: »
    Thanks I found these ones good in stove , but burned way too quick in open fire.
    I looked at the Facebook page of coal warehouse and there was a post also praising these guys who deliver to southern Ireland.
    I've contacted them for price.
    Probably not the cheapest but seems good quality and cheaper than where I buy locally

http://thedandys.ie

Have you tried supertherm ovoids
    They can be sourced locally for €18 a bag and no need to take a gamble on a pallet of gear

Was onto Coal Direct today and speaking to a nice lad called Kieran. He said the Coalite is tbe very same as the large ovoids from Easyglow which I got this year . At £329 that works out at €368 a ton so still cheaper than Easyglow.

The other option he said is Maxibrite which is £349 a ton and that works out at €390 a ton. Both of these prices include free delivery too.

Don't see these prices or coal types on their website?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,835 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

There's a lot of good value around, probably thanks to this thread.

On the flip side there was a half page ad in the Kerryman this morning from North Cork Creameries advertising a promotion they are doing at the moment;

Only 410 euro for a ton of polish coal collected from the yard!

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

There's a lot of good value around, probably thanks to this thread.

On the flip side there was a half page ad in the Kerryman this morning from North Cork Creameries advertising a promotion they are doing at the moment;

Only 410 euro for a ton of polish coal collected from the yard!

Better shopping local imo
    You can try a bag first and see how it is and if there’s a problem with a bulk order it’s easier to resolve

• Registered Users Posts: 7,835 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Better shopping local imo
    You can try a bag first and see how it is and if there’s a problem with a bulk order it’s easier to resolve

I'm all about supporting local when it is practical but last week I got a half ton of polish coal delivered from the north for 120 euro, also had a half ton of ovoids on the same pallet that cost 164 euro including delivery.

Got an extra 3 pallets from the truck driver too so plenty kindling thrown in.

I'd want to take out a mortgage to buy the same amount in my local supplier, a Mace shop.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

I'm all about supporting local when it is practical but last week I got a half ton of polish coal delivered from the north for 120 euro, also had a half ton of ovoids on the same pallet that cost 164 euro including delivery.

Got an extra 3 pallets from the truck driver too so plenty kindling thrown in.

I'd want to take out a mortgage to buy the same amount in my local supplier, a Mace shop.

I wouldn’t burn polish coal ever again
    Poor heat and loads of cinders and crap left the next morning
    Supertherm ovoids for me all the way from now on, the stove is red hot hear still from this morning

Got an email from coal direct around 10:45am informing me that my order had been shipped.
    Got a call at 3:30pm from delivery driver to let me know he be delivering to me in approx 2 hours.
    Coal arrived just after 5pm and pallet left exactly where I needed it
    So. Handy the coal being in 25 kg bags for me to lift in to final position. Opened a bag to have a look and quality appears good but will know tomorrow night when I burn some

Read through alot of this thread now.
    From what I can see the best coal out there seems to be agrina ecorite or the Supertherm stuff, am I correct in this ?

It also seems very difficult to actually determine what the constitutes of the coal are .

I noticed on my Boru stove (35kw) it actually sais not to use coal as main fuel source.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,058 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

Foggy Jew wrote: »
    Coalisland, Co Tyrone. The crowd are called Coal Warehouse & if you like and share their FB page, you get 2 bags free. (As opposed to 3 bags full... :-P )

Where else could it be,but in Coalisland :)

• Advertisement

If it is of any benefit to any member here.
    I used the easyglow ovoids last year, Both sizes.
    They were great,

This season I have tried some Supertherm, So far I can feel a huge difference in both heat output and burn time.
    Supertherm outshines any other ovoids i have burned.
    I will be ordering a tonne of Supertherm.
    I would suggest anyone that wants to try ovoids to first go to their local depot and get a bag or two of supertherm to try.

Advertisement