Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seems like a good deal on coal....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,809 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

I got a lock of union coal cubes there lately.fukn great job.some bang of heat off them and they burn for hours if you close down the stove.throw in a good lock and shut her right down to ticking over and she’ll do the night

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Monitor1985

I'm looking to buy ovoids for the first time, thinking of going with KosyKing, I've previously purchased doubles from CW and EasyGlo, the CW one were okay, lots of dust tho, I find the EasyGlo doubles dwindling fast since I bought them at the start of January.

I paid for premium doubles and they came in household bags,I rang them up to see if they made a mistake, but he said it's all the same, there was €40 in the difference in price, so there had to be some difference!

So I need to rethink my coal purchases, I'm thinking of getting half ovoids and half doubles on my next order.

Does anyone have any experience with KK ovoids or doubles?

I have no stove, just the open fire, will the ovoids be worth it?

Thanks in advance!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,513 ✭✭✭✭vectra

I got a lock of union coal cubes there lately.fukn great job.some bang of heat off them and they burn for hours if you close down the stove.throw in a good lock and shut her right down to ticking over and she’ll do the night

Are the the same thing as Lignite Briquettes?

Was thinking of getting a some the bank down the ovoids for the nights.

vectra wrote: »
    Are the the same thing as Lignite Briquettes?

Was thinking of getting a some the bank down the ovoids for the nights.

Yeah very same only cut in cubes with union stamped on them. If you fill the stove with them and shut it down going to bed she’ll tick over for the night

• Registered Users Posts: 15,513 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Yeah very same only cut in cubes with union stamped on them. If you fill the stove with them and shut it down going to bed she’ll tick over for the night

Gonna try get a bag tomorrow
    thanks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

I'm looking to buy ovoids for the first time, thinking of going with KosyKing, I've previously purchased doubles from CW and EasyGlo, the CW one were okay, lots of dust tho, I find the EasyGlo doubles dwindling fast since I bought them at the start of January.

I paid for premium doubles and they came in household bags,I rang them up to see if they made a mistake, but he said it's all the same, there was €40 in the difference in price, so there had to be some difference!

So I need to rethink my coal purchases, I'm thinking of getting half ovoids and half doubles on my next order.

Thanks in advance!

Because of the mix of the fuels in ovoids there is more heat locked up in them than the same weight of any coal so if max amount of heat is you aim then ovoids are grate (pun intended :o).

vectra wrote: »
    Gonna try get a bag tomorrow
    thanks

No bother. I find it a lot cleaner than coal aswell.18:50 I gave per 40kg bag if I remember right and you get a fire that will tick away nice and steady instead of roaring up the stove and reddening it too much

• Registered Users Posts: 1,725 ✭✭✭bigron2109

Would these keep the rads going too over night in the Stove with the ovids ?

bigron2109 wrote: »
    Would these keep the rads going too over night in the Stove with the ovids ?

Mine is a 25kw boiler and rads tick over nicely overnight. If anything too hot in this weather was v nice in the snow and you have oceans of hot water.you can even flake them union cubes in by hand and you haven’t to even wash your hand. I found polish coal too hot too fast and nothing lasting left

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭celticbhoy27

Mine is a 25kw boiler and rads tick over nicely overnight. If anything too hot in this weather was v nice in the snow and you have oceans of hot water.you can even flake them union cubes in by hand and you haven’t to even wash your hand. I found polish coal too hot too fast and nothing lasting left

What make/model boiler do you have. Think I need to upgrade

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭autumnalcore

Lignite is bad value in terms of heat unless youre getting it at 60% or less than the price of ovids and there is far more ash.
    I found polish coal too hot too fast and nothing lasting left

Sounds like a draught control issue such as compressed fire ropes.

What make/model boiler do you have. Think I need to upgrade

Henley druid 25kw boiler
    Only fault I could find is glass is huge but mighty yoke to heat and easy to dismantle for full clean weekly.probably ten minutes max.
    If you shut her down she tends to blacken glass but good job all round

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Irishs12

Thanks in advance!

I've tried this year's CW ovoids,and I wasn't impressed with the heat off them.They threw in a few bags with a ton of columbian after I got some of the bad 'black diamond' rocks off them.
    The KK supertherm is excellent all round value but produces a fair bit of fine ash.
    The maxibrite from KK is slower burning,and is the best ovoid ive tried, but will only work well if you have a very good draw on your chimney.
    Overall,ovoids are cleaner,but they do not produce the heat per euro of a good bituminous coal.
    I'm going to stick to maxibrite for the time being,but I'm changing my stove for next year and I'm going to run anthracite next winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,951 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

Irishs12 wrote: »
    I've tried this year's CW ovoids,and I wasn't impressed with the heat off them.They threw in a few bags with a ton of columbian after I got some of the bad 'black diamond' rocks off them.
    The KK supertherm is excellent all round value but produces a fair bit of fine ash.
    The maxibrite from KK is slower burning,and is the best ovoid ive tried, but will only work well if you have a very good draw on your chimney.
    Overall,ovoids are cleaner,but they do not produce the heat per euro of a good bituminous coal.
    I'm going to stick to maxibrite for the time being,but I'm changing my stove for next year and I'm going to run anthracite next winter.

My first bag of ovoids was very experimental and at first I thought they were total garbage but once I learned the best way to use them they are more economical than any coal on the market and give a consistent level of heat.
    I was using Colombian coal and while the heat was Very good I was topping the stove up every couple of hours and the crap that was left on top of the grate was crazy. With the super therm ovoids I’m using I light the stove at 9am with a mall few bits on top of kindling and once they glow red I lay a decent bed on top and don’t go back to top it up until 3 ish and that’s it for the night unless I want it to keep going over night.
    REKORD coal briquettes are a great combo with it.
    Nothing left on the grate everything is burned to ash and my fuel bill is around €15 a week.and the stove is much cleaner and the glass is always clear.

The internet isn’t for everyone

Does anyone know is there anywhere around Wexford Town that sells the Rekord Coal Briquettes which has been mentioned . Would like to give them a go in the Stove with the Ovoids.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭deisedav

Irishs12 wrote: »

@ Irishs 12 . Did you ever try the premium kosy glow ovoids from kk, they are worth a go, use them in an open fire. Very long lasting heat from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Does anyone know is there anywhere around Wexford Town that sells the Rekord Coal Briquettes which has been mentioned . Would like to give them a go in the Stove with the Ovoids.

I haven't seen anywhere in the county selling them. Hayes Fuels are the supplier so anywhere that stocks their stuff might have them or can get them.
    As an aside bigron,have you gotten fuel from Freeman's in Oylegate? Great value. I picked up 2 40kg bags of ovoids for €27 there the other day.

Either Lidl or ALDI had small packs of them recently

I haven't seen anywhere in the county selling them. Hayes Fuels are the supplier so anywhere that stocks their stuff might have them or can get them.
    As an aside bigron,have you gotten fuel from Freeman's in Oylegate? Great value. I picked up 2 40kg bags of ovoids for €27 there the other day.

No as I ordered a Ton last October from EasyGlow and just coming to the end of them now. But I know a woman who travels from Wexford town to Oilgate just to get their coal and swears by it.

OmegaGene wrote: »
    Either Lidl or ALDI had small packs of them recently

Super. Thanks for letting me know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭Yester

jc77 wrote: »
    A bit of a long shot...

Anyone from East Cork/West Waterford with smokeless ovoids from either KosyKing or Coal Warehouse?

I would really like the opportunity to try out the coal prior to buying a tonne.

The last time I bought a tonne of coal was "premium polish" from CW & found it to be awful rubbish.

I am probably a bit far away to make it practical to share a bag with you. I have tried the polish coal from CW and it was, as you say awful. Their ovoids though are really good. Might be a little bit slow to heat up but when they do there is great heat and little mess. I would recommend.

deisedav wrote: »
    @ Irishs 12 . Did you ever try the premium kosy glow ovoids from kk, they are worth a go, use them in an open fire. Very long lasting heat from them.
    No I haven't,but I run my entire heating system off my chinese stove all winter, and I've tried a lot of different combinations of fuel. In my experience with ovoids,you get what you pay for though,and the CW ones were ok at the start of last year but since then have not been so good.
    Maxibrite are the longest burning I've tried,but as I say,I'm going onto anthracite with an arada Stratford ecoboiler next year. Just waiting on it to be delivered.

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭theduffer

Hi Irishs12,
    Do you have a supplier for the anthracite coal you are referring to. I have tried different combos myself but haven't tried anthracite coal yet..
    Thanks

theduffer wrote: »
    Hi Irishs12,
    Do you have a supplier for the anthracite coal you are referring to. I have tried different combos myself but haven't tried anthracite coal yet..
    Thanks
    I bought a couple of bags from Stafford Clarke last year to try,It didn't burn properly with my poorly fitted stove/flue combo,but worked well in my friends charnwood stove.
    If it works for me after I have my new stove setup fitted then I'll buy it by the ton from KK.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Nettle

Can I ask where you got them? I have the exact same stove as you and I don't know what i am doing wrong with it but I seem to be going through a serious amount of coal and wood but once I let the stove out the heat goes pretty quick from the rads

Nettle wrote: »
    Can I ask where you got them? I have the exact same stove as you and I don't know what i am doing wrong with it but I seem to be going through a serious amount of coal and wood but once I let the stove out the heat goes pretty quick from the rads

Coal and wood is your problem I think
    They are intense heat for a short period
    You need a slow steady heat which can be found from many stove fuels on the market like ovoids and nuggets
    If you have a stock pile of regular coal then slack could be the way to go

OmegaGene wrote: »
    Coal and wood is your problem I think
    They are intense heat for a short period
    You need a slow steady heat which can be found from many stove fuels on the market like ovoids and nuggets
    If you have a stock pile of regular coal then slack could be the way to go

While I'm not totally convinced there is also that argument that mixing coal and wood rots your stove and chimney liner much quicker.

The reasoning is that coal creates acid gases as it burns but as it is a dry fuel the acids go up the chimney as gas but wood even when very dry contains a lot of water which the acid gases from the coal dissolve in making them more damaging to your stove.

my3cents wrote: »
    While I'm not totally convinced there is also that argument that mixing coal and wood rots your stove and chimney liner much quicker.

The reasoning is that coal creates acid gases as it burns but as it is a dry fuel the acids go up the chimney as gas but wood even when very dry contains a lot of water which the acid gases from the coal dissolve in making them more damaging to your stove.

I was reading about this recently, I’m not burning hardly any wood in my stove anymore ifind it burns too quickly too, I have a big stock pile of it from when I had an open fire

https://www.gr8fires.co.uk/articles/coal-or-wood-for-stoves

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Nettle

OmegaGene wrote:
    Coal and wood is your problem I think They are intense heat for a short period You need a slow steady heat which can be found from many stove fuels on the market like ovoids and nuggets If you have a stock pile of regular coal then slack could be the way to go

Sorry I should have said it is a stove coal that I am burning in it.

• Advertisement

Nettle wrote: »
    Sorry I should have said it is a stove coal that I am burning in it.

But what is stove coal? imo any coal that isn't smokeless isn't stove coal. Also again imo anything branded stove coal tends to be cheap rubbish. I can't say that every brand sold as stove coal is useless but its never going to produce as much heat as say ovoids or anthracite.

Advertisement