Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seems like a good deal on coal....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭decky1

@ Omegajean---love that one about the 'Painted Stones' LOL.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

OmegaGene wrote: »
    That’s cheap for ovoids
    Local fella here wants €11 for 20kg or I can get 40kg for €19 from another company star fuels in mitchelston cork

I’m mixing ovoids with coal briquettes in a stove, I’m getting the briquettes for €11 for 25kg bale and 3 or 4 in the stove last ages
    Need to find ovoids cheaper if I can but don’t want to buy crap either

Where are you getting the coal briquettes from?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,085 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

Cape Clear wrote: »
    Where are you getting the coal briquettes from?

Star fuels in mitchelstown they have a place in clonmel too

The internet isn’t for everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Villan11

pm. wrote: »
    I have been using Coal-Warehouse for just over 2 years now. I have tried mixture of country blend ( not great) polish coal and doubles ( pure sh1te)

The only type to use for a stove and to heat rads are the ovoids. Buy them and you won't be disappointed buy anything else and it's hit and miss. Buy cheap buy twice

Just my opinion

Think I'm gonna try the Ovoids for my stove, are they branded? How are they delivered, dropped on a pallet on your driveway?

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭lenscap

For all the details on the different coal suppliers in NI and their delivery details please see post #1915 on page 128

• Advertisement

Ordered 5 bags of super therm ovoids from star fuels €89 delivered so €17.80 a bag

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭jc77

Query re delivery cost.

CW say Liam Connolly charge approx £60/pallet to Republic.

KK say Liam Connolly charge £19.95/pallet to Republic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭Yester

jc77 wrote: »
    Query re delivery cost.

Ordered a delivery recently from CW and it was £60 delivery with Liam Connolly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,605 ✭✭✭Kat1170

I 'think' KK prices are slightly higher and delivery lower than CW. I haven't really looked as I got another delivery from CW as I was happy enough with the first.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭physioman

Kat1170 wrote: »
    I 'think' KK prices are slightly higher and delivery lower than CW. I haven't really looked as I got another delivery from CW as I was happy enough with the first.

Yeah I'd say Liam Connolly are charging kk 60 pounds for delivery so kk are absorbing the charge in their retail price

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭pm.

Villan11 wrote: »
    Think I'm gonna try the Ovoids for my stove, are they branded? How are they delivered, dropped on a pallet on your driveway?

Do, forget about anything else for a stove.... Order 25kg bags and they are branded as ovoids. Branding does not mean a thing the ovoids are top quality and you wont be disappointed tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Galw1

Bought the ton of ovoids from Kosy King for our and OH says best thing I ever bought! Will buy again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Galw1 wrote: »
    Bought the ton of ovoids from Kosy King for our and OH says best thing I ever bought! Will buy again.

Try the Easyglow next, you will be very impressed :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Try the Easyglow next, you will be very impressed :-)

Try the Easyglo small ones next time. You will be very very impressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

I bought super therm lately.seen good reviews.find it absolutely muck.never again.no heat off it and it leaves way too much ash.it also smells like rotten eggs.was disappointed.heat output is very low.black hawk fuel have a product similar and its 40 times better.worst coal I ever seen.even standard polish is way better

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

vectra wrote: »
    Try the Easyglo small ones next time. You will be very very impressed.

Depends on size of stove

I bought 50/50 mix of big and small. The big ovoids are great for the large boiler stove and the small ones are great for the little 8kW room heater.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭Yester

I got another 2 tonne of oviods from Coal Warehouse the other day. It came to €560 but when I mentioned I had bought from them before and was very happy with the product they dropped 20 off. Sound. I got Liam Connolly for delivery again which cost 120 sterling (138 euro). Again my only complaint is with the lack of notice around delivery times. I was assured again that I would be contacted the day before and again they rang when they were 20 mins away. Half the oredr is for the in-laws and this is our 3rd time around so we know the craic. The father in law is retired so [he was around anyway but still..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭taytobreath

Yester wrote: »
    I got another 2 tonne of oviods from Coal Warehouse the other day. It came to €560 but when I mentioned I had bought from them before and was very happy with the product they dropped 20 off. Sound. I got Liam Connolly for delivery again which cost 120 sterling (138 euro). Again my only complaint is with the lack of notice around delivery times. I was assured again that I would be contacted the day before and again they rang when they were 20 mins away. Half the oredr is for the in-laws and this is our 3rd time around so we know the craic. The father in law is retired so [he was around anyway but still..

Nothing beats those ovoids, I'd never use anything else again and I've been through a load of different types.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

jc77 wrote: »
    Query re delivery cost.

How that probably works is that it is an extra 19.95 delivery to roi as they offer "free" delivery in NI. So they pay Connolly a set rate per pallet and you pay the extra fee for delivery down here.

Also, the price difference between NI and ROI is down to carbon tax and vat. NI has no carbon tax yet and vat is 5% v 13.5% here - the difference works out at about €100/tonne

Technically you should accompany the coal, and its why tyey insist you arrange transport and that pushes responsibility of paying the carbon tax onto you.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,331 ✭✭✭naughto

Do any of them do half tons nearly out of what I got last yr

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭blindside88

naughto wrote: »

I think Coal Warehouse do but you pay Liam Connolly the same price for delivery

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭damo80

naughto wrote: »

Kosy king do

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Connrang

Hi,
    Ordered Maxibrite Smokeless Ovoids yesterday morning around 1030, just emptied the last bag now, from order to door in around 24 hours, thanks Kosy King :)

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭jc77

A bit of a long shot...

Anyone from East Cork/West Waterford with smokeless ovoids from either KosyKing or Coal Warehouse?

I would really like the opportunity to try out the coal prior to buying a tonne.

The last time I bought a tonne of coal was "premium polish" from CW & found it to be awful rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭randombar

Just a question for people.

Mam is using the ovoids and singles to "bank down", heat out of ovoids are unreal and singles seem to make it last longer.

Any other recommendations or things I'm missing?

Are ovoids the best, no complaints so far but just checking.

Are the nuggets the same thing only smaller so would be easier to manage?

Also any coal bunker recommendations, want something she can manage so coal doesnt get trapped at the bottom.

GaryCocs wrote: »

Mam is using the ovoids and singles to "bank down", heat out of ovoids are unreal and singles seem to make it last longer.

Also any coal bunker recommendations, want something she can manage so coal doesnt get trapped at the bottom.

I’m using ovoids to start off and when they get nice and red I stick in 2 or 3 coal briquettes, they are a great job

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Be careful with the nugget description, could mean different things to different people. Union nuggets are specifically compressed hexagonal blocks of brown coal which has no where near as much heat as the ovoids. However union nuggets are great for keeping a small fire ticking over and burn for ages, they are also smokeless and we find the stove needs far less cleaning after using them. I think of them as peat blocks on steroids. Union nuggets are also easy to handle and big enough to put on the fire by hand (we just keep a pair of gloves handy). Worth getting a bag locally to try them - very marmite.

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭DaraDali

How do people find getting the Columbian from Coal Warehouse? got the Polish and the cheap stuff but got a band sticky batch the last time around so the mother will never buy the cheaper stuff again, 
    We have a fire door insert and something with not alot of smoke would be great, Would I be better off with getting the avoids?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭randombar

OmegaGene wrote: »
    I’m using ovoids to start off and when they get nice and red I stick in 2 or 3 coal briquettes, they are a great job

Where do you get the coal briquettes?

• Advertisement

Where do you get the coal briquettes?

They are made by REKORD i think off hand, star fuels in Clonmel and mitchelstown have them and most big fuel depots will have them
    Much better than the turf briquettes

Advertisement