Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seems like a good deal on coal....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭rustynutz

Pepp1989 wrote: »
    About to make another order for a pallet of fuel for the open fire. Got Black Diamond rubbish from CW the last time so won't be going back. Am seriously tempted by the large ovoids even though they are more expensive. Do you get much of a flame with them?

I got both ovoids and black diamond last time from coalwarehouse, the black diamond is absolute muck, but the ovoids are very good, specially for a stove, will definitely get them again

• Registered Users Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Ordered another tonne of Small ovoids from eglow yesterday.
    Found them fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭judgefoozle

vectra wrote: »
    Ordered another tonne of Small ovoids from eglow yesterday.
    Found them fantastic.

Same - just ordered this evening. Worth contacting them about what they have available and whether it's suitable for you.

They've a bag called 'Triple Heat' which is a mix of ovoids and coal - they're sending a couple of sample bags with my tonne order to see whether it's an option for again.

I got small ovoids last time, went with a 50/50 mix of small and large this time. Very happy with what I got last October.

Same - just ordered this evening. Worth contacting them about what they have available and whether it's suitable for you.

They've a bag called 'Triple Heat' which is a mix of ovoids and coal - they're sending a couple of sample bags with my tonne order to see whether it's an option for again.

I got small ovoids last time, went with a 50/50 mix of small and large this time. Very happy with what I got last October.

Yes,
    Pat sent me 5 bags of some sort of doubles. He said use a shovel of them when lighting the fire as it gets it going quicker.
    real gent to speak to on the phone.
    Anyhow.
    I got my last load in September, I still have a full bunker almost ( 10 x 20kg bags ) from that load.
    Fantastic value.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭physioman

Got 1 ton of ovoids from coal warehouse. Thankfully no difference in quality compared to last year's order. Great value at 337 euro all in.

• Advertisement

physioman wrote: »
    Got 1 ton of ovoids from coal warehouse. Thankfully no difference in quality compared to last year's order. Great value at 337 euro all in.

Hmm.
    That was cheap
    I paid 384 for my tonne from Ecoal
    I did get the extra 5 bags though,
    Still..Your load sounds cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,605 ✭✭✭Kat1170

Two quick questions for anyone who used CW recently.

1. If you got Black Diamond, has the quality issue been sorted.

2. Do you still email Liam Connelly with your details after placing order with CW and wait for them to ring you back.

Want to get half ton of both coal and ovids, torn between BD and Columbian. Got BD last year and it was grand but have read here of others having problems with it since.
    tia Kat1170

• Registered Users Posts: 7,331 ✭✭✭naughto

Kat1170 wrote: »

2. Do you still email Liam Connelly with your details after placing order with CW and wait for them to ring you back.

Want to get half ton of both coal and ovids, torn between BD and Columbian. Got BD last year and it was grand but have read here of others having problems with it since.
    tia Kat1170

If you ask them to put the order in to Connelly they will do it for you

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭fabsoul

Kat1170 wrote: »

tia Kat1170

Don't get the Black Diamond or the polish coal, its bad, i got both.
    Ask about the Columbian, I don't know i didn't try it from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,725 ✭✭✭bigron2109

vectra wrote: »
    Hmm.
    That was cheap
    I paid 384 for my tonne from Ecoal
    I did get the extra 5 bags though,
    Still..Your load sounds cheaper.

How did you get the extra five bags? I’ll be ordering again from the same company around the end of March.

• Advertisement

bigron2109 wrote: »
    How did you get the extra five bags? I’ll be ordering again from the same company around the end of March.

Sweet talked Pat into it :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

bigron2109 wrote: »

They had issues with website, after it came back online they offered 5 bags free

I got the same offer

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    They had issues with website, after it came back online they offered 5 bags free

I got the same offer

Indeed,
    That offer finished at Christmas as far as I am aware, But I contacted them in the meantime to say I would be ordering a second tonne shortly after Christmas and would they include the 5 extra. They agreed as I was a returning customer.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,523 ✭✭✭jaffa20

Anybody know what staffords coal is like? Trying to consider some other options. Have been using supertherm up till now and was good but taking a bit longer to heat up the stove in the colder weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭deisedav

jaffa20 wrote: »
    Anybody know what staffords coal is like? Trying to consider some other options. Have been using supertherm up till now and was good but taking a bit longer to heat up the stove in the colder weather.

Haven't used the stuff in a long time but the polish coal in the silver bag was always very good, the coal in the red bag not so good. I think they have a few more smokeless varieties on the market not which im not familiar with.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Mica087

Used Stafford's coal a while back. Found it terrible, difficult to light and very little heat! Went back to polish coal after. Fella in shop trying to flog me Columbian coal, same price as polish but burns quicker with less ash...

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

I'm using Stafford's stove coal (ovoids in a dark green bag) and find them great. I have started to mix them with cheap coal too and I use logs.
    I can get the ovoids locally for €27 for 2 bags (40kg ones)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 597 ✭✭✭clfy39tzve8njq

I'm using Stafford's stove coal (ovoids in a dark green bag) and find them great. I have started to mix them with cheap coal too and I use logs. I can get the ovoids locally for €27 for 2 bags (40kg ones)

Where is locally if you don't mind saying

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭deisedav

I'm using Stafford's stove coal (ovoids in a dark green bag) and find them great. I have started to mix them with cheap coal too and I use logs.
    I can get the ovoids locally for €27 for 2 bags (40kg ones)

Thats a good price for local coal especially avoids. The 20ks bags are nearly that price where i live

• Closed Accounts Posts: 597 ✭✭✭clfy39tzve8njq

deisedav wrote:
    The 20ks bags are nearly that price where i live

Same as that

• Advertisement

Where is locally if you don't mind saying

Freemans shop in Oylegate in Wexford. It's the only shop in the village and they have promotions on all kinds of coal.
    There's another place in Enniscorthy that sells ovoids for €15.50 per 40kg bag.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,135 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

That’s cheap for ovoids
    Local fella here wants €11 for 20kg or I can get 40kg for €19 from another company star fuels in mitchelston cork

I’m mixing ovoids with coal briquettes in a stove, I’m getting the briquettes for €11 for 25kg bale and 3 or 4 in the stove last ages
    Need to find ovoids cheaper if I can but don’t want to buy crap either

The internet isn’t for everyone

OmegaGene wrote: »
    That’s cheap for ovoids
    Local fella here wants €11 for 20kg or I can get 40kg for €19 from another company star fuels in mitchelston cork

I’m mixing ovoids with coal briquettes in a stove, I’m getting the briquettes for €11 for 25kg bale and 3 or 4 in the stove last ages

And I think it is 18 in Mill Fuels in Rathcormac for 40kg .

Are the ovoids any good in mill fuels ?

I tried coal from there once for an open fire we had and it was like painted stones
    Pure crap that didn’t burn, there would be more dead coal on the grate that didn’t burn than ash

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭decky1

I love that their in 'Coalisland' a friend was getting coal up north , fantastic coal but stopped for some reason , be careful if you buying in bulk get a sample first , that smokeless coal is useless for heating rads.

Are the ovoids any good in mill fuels ?

I tried coal from there once for an open fire we had and it was like painted stones
    Pure crap that didn’t burn, there would be more dead coal on the grate that didn’t burn than ash

They sell varying grades of coal.
    I found their Columbian fantastic to heat up the rads quickly but had to clean the chimney regularly.
    Their ovoids would be on par with the ones from the North I would say, I used them for a couple of years with no issues.
    decky1 wrote: »
    I love that their in 'Coalisland' a friend was getting coal up north , fantastic coal but stopped for some reason , be careful if you buying in bulk get a sample first , that smokeless coal is useless for heating rads.

I find them grand,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭pm.

I have been using Coal-Warehouse for just over 2 years now. I have tried mixture of country blend ( not great) polish coal and doubles ( pure sh1te)

The only type to use for a stove and to heat rads are the ovoids. Buy them and you won't be disappointed buy anything else and it's hit and miss. Buy cheap buy twice

Just my opinion

It was the Colombian stuff I got from at the time for €18 a bag and €2 a bag to deliver
    I started going to the fella up the ballyhooly road then and his stuff was cheaper and better and delivered free but he’s never there anymore
    I might try a bag from him during the week

pm. wrote: »
    I have been using Coal-Warehouse for just over 2 years now. I have tried mixture of country blend ( not great) polish coal and doubles ( pure sh1te)

The only type to use for a stove and to heat rads are the ovoids. Buy them and you won't be disappointed buy anything else and it's hit and miss. Buy cheap buy twice

Just my opinion

Ovoids are great I agree a bag lasts me 3 weeks with coal briquettes
    Costing me about a tenner a week for the stove

• Advertisement

That’s cheap for ovoids

Bit of a trek to Wexford for coal. The €15.50 bags are packed in Cork. It's the stoveglo in the yellow bag here. http://www.patrickmurphyandsons.ie/wholesale-retail/

Advertisement