Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seems like a good deal on coal....

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Got my delivery on Tuesday......delivery not the best. They ring up shouting down phone as could not find address, turns out they are right beside house. I had asked then to ring before and give me at least 1 hour. I was away so no help.

They then tried to tell wife they couldn't get truck in electric gates, she was wise to them and knew previous deliveries had gone in gates.

Got in gates and the tail lift would not work so they had to lift off by hand(if they had rang me I would have helped).

On way out they decided to take the whole cornor of the verge going around house, make a right f**king mess....not our fault there stupid truck wouldn't work.

Anyway the coal is in a big heap on driveway. No idea which is the small ovoids and which is big. Will do a bit of a job at weekend on it.

So far used the big ovoids.Great heat off them, the big stove is keeping the rads luke warm, a little bit better than the Kosy King last year from what I can see. The bigger ovoids seems to keep burning longer as well.

Only really ash left, had more stuff with Kosy King. God I was emptying it out and took a blast of dust to face, awful stuff. I think a few people pointed this out before....So far so good.....will ramp up both stoves on Saturday for a full day burn and see how it goes....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Got my delivery on Tuesday......delivery not the best. They ring up shouting down phone as could not find address, turns out they are right beside house. I had asked then to ring before and give me at least 1 hour. I was away so no help.

They then tried to tell wife they couldn't get truck in electric gates, she was wise to them and knew previous deliveries had gone in gates.

Got in gates and the tail lift would not work so they had to lift off by hand(if they had rang me I would have helped).

On way out they decided to take the whole cornor of the verge going around house, make a right f**king mess....not our fault there stupid truck wouldn't work.

Anyway the coal is in a big heap on driveway. No idea which is the small ovoids and which is big. Will do a bit of a job at weekend on it.

So far used the big ovoids.Great heat off them, the big stove is keeping the rads luke warm, a little bit better than the Kosy King last year from what I can see. The bigger ovoids seems to keep burning longer as well.

Only really ash left, had more stuff with Kosy King. God I was emptying it out and took a blast of dust to face, awful stuff. I think a few people pointed this out before....So far so good.....will ramp up both stoves on Saturday for a full day burn and see how it goes....

Who did you order from? If I were you I'd take a few photos of damaged verge and send it to both the courier and the supplier. The two different couriers that have dropped the coal warehouse order to us in the past couldn't have been more helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭funnyname

I previously got two pallets of coal from the North but currently getting 3 bags of CPL supertherm at a time from the local Kerry agribusiness shop for €51.75 (17.25 a bag). Burns the same enough as the CW Ovids. It suits me better cashflow wise and also space wise.

Cape Clear wrote: »
    Who did you order from? If I were you I'd take a few photos of damaged verge and send it to both the courier and the supplier. The two different couriers that have dropped the coal warehouse order to us in the past couldn't have been more helpful.

Was Easyglow. But they all use Liam Connolly from what I know?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Was Easyglow. But they all use Liam Connolly from what I know?

Check the consignment note. Up to you if you wish to chase it up or not.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭sword1

Seems to be a plastic like residue left blocking the grate after burning the Ovoids this year, has anyone else come across this?

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭DubInTheWest

sword1 wrote: »
    Seems to be a plastic like residue left blocking the grate after burning the Ovoids this year, has anyone else come across this?

Your order from CW ? Right now I'm using their Ovoids and yep they're pretty good. I did have a slight suspicion that they are not lasting as long as last years. Last year I'd fill up the range at say 3pm and even at 9pm they were still pretty hot and in the fire bucket they were still glowing really well if I wanted to top up. This year I top up at 3pm and at 7pm it's going out and the rads are lukewarm/hot. As a point of principal after getting some of the black diamond crap I said I won't use them again so I got some colombian locally and mother of Jebus the heat out of it is something else. I still have a good amount of ovoids left from CW but I've found a local supplier that is quite reasonable and the coal is top notch so I'll be using him in future for my ovoids and colombian for the open fire.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

my3cents wrote: »
    I honestly don't know how you are getting good ovoids at that price :confused:

They were cheaper last year. According to the bag they are packed in Cork.

So already used a few bags of Easyglow. Have to say I am impressed. Was using the large ovoids for both fires and worked well. Especially in the large stove, seem to be getting a lot better heat out of it than the Kosyking last year. The big ones worked ok in small stove but didn't seem to burn right down to ash

Done a bit of looking over the bags and found the small ovoids for the small stove. God they are tiny, didn't really think about how much I was putting in the first night, I quickly had to shut off all air on stove. Great heat from them and they burn right down to ash, nothing left at all bar ash.

Always had cinders with Kosyking.

Very impressed with both the large and small ones so far but really as recommended the big ovoids are fo the big Stove(Glenmore 30B) and the small ovoids are for the room heater stove(Green 8kw)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭deandean

I just took delivery of a ton of country blend from coal Warehouse. Mainly as a change from the ovoids which I have ordered for the last couple of years.
    I must say that I prefer the country blend. It has every bit as much heat, and it burns with more of a flame which I prefer. It's the same price as the ovoids.
    The delivery driver had an electric pallet truck which you really need to take delivery of a ton of coal.
    The only problem I had is that 2 of the bags so far, the contents were soaking wet when I opened them. I hope this is confined to just a few bags.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭gaillimhabu

What is the best option for a small insert stove with no back boiler? I assume ovoids but which company (Easy Glow, Coal Warehouse or Kosy King) is providing the best value and quality at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭vectra

What is the best option for a small insert stove with no back boiler? I assume ovoids but which company (Easy Glow, Coal Warehouse or Kosy King) is providing the best value and quality at the moment

Id go with easyglo small ovoids.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,725 ✭✭✭bigron2109

I’m using Easyglo large ovoids and I couldn’t recommend them enough. Every day there is only ash left and it’s so handy having the 20 kg bags .

vectra wrote: »

Id go with easyglo small ovoids.
    I've gotten replies from both Easy Glow and Coal Warehouse
    EasyGlow Smokeless small ovoids €376 with free delivery
    Coal Warehouse Smokeless large ovoids €280. Smokey Black Diamond (said they resolved the quality issue) €225. Delivery is around €68. 
    Around €28 euro cheaper going with Coal Warehouse for ovoids even though they are the larger ones which are recommended for open fires and large stove.
    Decisions decisions!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

For any of the Wexford folk (or folk passing through) I picked up two 40kg bags of Stafford ovoids for €27 in Freeman's shop in Oylegate, I think they are €14.35 a bag individually but they do bundle deals on coal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭fabsoul

I've gotten replies from both Easy Glow and Coal Warehouse
    EasyGlow Smokeless small ovoids €376 with free delivery
    Coal Warehouse Smokeless large ovoids €280. Smokey Black Diamond (said they resolved the quality issue) €225. Delivery is around €68. 
    Around €28 euro cheaper going with Coal Warehouse for ovoids even though they are the larger ones which are recommended for open fires and large stove.
    Decisions decisions!!!!

I got mine replaces and its the same, # I would'nt recommend it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭physioman

fabsoul wrote: »
    I got mine replaces and its the same, # I would'nt recommend it.

Sorry didn't understand your message. Did you buy again from easyglow or coal warehouse?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,725 ✭✭✭bigron2109

physioman wrote: »
    Sorry didn't understand your message. Did you buy again from easyglow or coal warehouse?

I’m using the large Ovoids from Easyglo. Have been using them since October and they are fantastic. Couldn’t recommend them enough. There is only ash left in the morning and they give out great heat. The process of ordering and delivery was very smooth and I will order another batch probably around March for this year .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭loki7777

He bought it, then quality problems, they replaced it with same coal and it's same sh*t. Coal Warehouse.

loki7777 wrote: »
    He bought it, then quality problems, they replaced it with same coal and it's same sh*t. Coal Warehouse.

Just to clarify was it ovoids? I bought off them last year and it was perfect. Looking to order next week and was gonna go with the same. What exactly was wrong with them?

• Advertisement

He is on about black diamond. I suspect the ovoids are fine

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Bif

Just to clarify was it ovoids? I bought off them last year and it was perfect. Looking to order next week and was gonna go with the same. What exactly was wrong with them?
    Got ovoids last year and again recently. Same quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭loki7777

No, Smokey Black Diamond. Read few pages back about what is wrong with it.

He is on about black diamond. I suspect the ovoids are fine

Ok. Just difficult to understand his messages.

Bif wrote: »
    Got ovoids last year and again recently. Same quality.

Ok. Yeah will order again. Cheapest around.

loki7777 wrote: »
    No, Smokey Black Diamond. Read few pages back about what is wrong with it.

Wouldn't buy that coal. Thanks. Are you fabsoul's pa? 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭fabsoul

Wouldn't buy that coal. Thanks. Are you fabsoul's pa? ��

LOL go back and look at post no. 2027 it was in RED

• Registered Users Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Pepp1989

About to make another order for a pallet of fuel for the open fire. Got Black Diamond rubbish from CW the last time so won't be going back. Am seriously tempted by the large ovoids even though they are more expensive. Do you get much of a flame with them?

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭mrtom

Switching to Ovoids. What is the best way to adjust the air controlls for this fuel compared to BD ? Primary & secondary Air inlets. What's your experience for the best heat!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭deisedav

Pepp1989 wrote: »
    About to make another order for a pallet of fuel for the open fire. Got Black Diamond rubbish from CW the last time so won't be going back. Am seriously tempted by the large ovoids even though they are more expensive. Do you get much of a flame with them?

Yeah they have a flame for about an hour and then they start to glow and radiate out the heat . If you want more flame you can bang on some wood after a while which i do myself, a great combo i have to say

Advertisement