Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Independence Day: Resurgence **SPOILERS FROM POST 266 ONWARD**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Ugh, why the need to bring back a pile of characters. Cheesy as it was, one of the good things about ID was that it was driven by multiple character plotlines. While you could arguably say Smith and Goldblum were the "leads", plenty of the characters had strong parts with a decent amount of development. So focussing back onto those characters for a sequel puts it onto a loser - the film was more about people in general rather any any specific male of female lead.

So go all new, a pile of new characters. Smith & Goldblum died a few months following the explosion from radiation sickness. Smith's wife & stepson are irrelevant non-characters so aren't included. The countries of the world have a formed a shaky one-world alliance government; Pullman is no longer in charge of the US but is a special advisor to the US armed forces, and in the aftermath him and Goldblum's wife have shacked up together. Goldblum's father was a great character, but doesn't really fit in, except for maybe a two-minute cameo near the start.

Bang, loose ends tied up in a believable way. Bring on new people, new human stories.

Edit:
    Going by the promotional poster, I really hope this doesn't just become some lame ID++ thing where we now have planet destroyer ships instead of city destroyers, and that humanity tries to fight them using hybrid spaceships instead of F/A-18s. The rampage through the solar system blowing up Pluto and then the Moon and 3 seconds before destroying earth, we figure out how to kill them. That would just be straight up fncking lame.

I think I trust Dean Devlin not to make a mess of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,869 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Independence Day may be a lot of things but a CGI fest it is not. Most of the FX work was done practically without CGI which is why scenes such as the fire sweeping through the city and the White House explosion still stand up today. Compare it to some of Emmerich's later work and you'll find that Independence Day looks a lot better than 2012 and the llke
    The attacks look okay but I remember watching ID on BBC a while back and the fire is seriously dodgy, theres a bit with a dog escaping the flames and the special effects look like a pc game from 10 years ago struggling to run at 20 FPS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭colossus-x

Thargor wrote: »
    The attacks look okay but I remember watching ID on BBC a while back and the fire is seriously dodgy, theres a bit with a dog escaping the flames and the special effects look like a pc game from 10 years ago struggling to run at 20 FPS.

That scene was absurd anyway. Everything was being blow to kingdom come all around them but they find a a doorway into some kind of workers tunnel and it was totally fine in there. Ya right. haha.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

colossus-x wrote: »
    That scene was absurd anyway.

Yes, along with the first scene, the last scene, and all the other scenes in between.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,239 ✭✭✭Elessar

colossus-x wrote: »
    That scene was absurd anyway. Everything was being blow to kingdom come all around them but they find a a doorway into some kind of workers tunnel and it was totally fine in there. Ya right. haha.

Says your man about an alien invasion movie :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Independence Day may be a lot of things but a CGI fest it is not. Most of the FX work was done practically without CGI which is why scenes such as the fire sweeping through the city and the White House explosion still stand up today. Compare it to some of Emmerich's later work and you'll find that Independence Day looks a lot better than 2012 and the llke

For it's time it was quite heavy with CGI. CGI was fairly rare, or atleast good CGI was, so to see a movie with some amazing primary shots of CGI was a big thing back then. I remember everyone in school talking about the graphics etc., etc.

I do agree with your point tho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭colossus-x

Elessar wrote: »
    Says your man about an alien invasion movie :P
    Yes, along with the first scene, the last scene, and all the other scenes in between.

Good points. Well presented.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,993 ✭✭✭Nerdkiller1991

Well, it's the 4th of July, so I feel that this would be relevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,288 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Just saw the trailer for this but I have no link.

Looks like a good turn your brain off action movie. And Mr. Goldblum!

• Registered Users Posts: 55,453 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Playable here.

http://www.theverge.com/2015/12/13/10034926/independence-day-resurgence-trailer-jeff-goldblum

Can't find a non-geo-restricted version on YouTube (yet)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Also up here.... http://www.slashfilm.com/independence-day-2-trailer-theyre-coming-back/

Looks awesome! They seem to have gone down the natural road with this. Humanity using the alien tech to prepare for a second invasion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,969 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Mr E wrote: »
    Playable here.

http://www.theverge.com/2015/12/13/10034926/independence-day-resurgence-trailer-jeff-goldblum

Can't find a non-geo-restricted version on YouTube (yet)

Not mad about the usage of the speech in the trailer. That said, it doesnt look too bad. I'll reserve judgement until I see it.

Edit: Feeling very nostalgic about seeing Jeff Goldblum as the hero once again though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

The aliens have installed anti-virus software, yeah?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,239 ✭✭✭Elessar

Love it :D Can't wait, ditto on the Jeff Goldblum hero anticipation again!

Also Bill Pullman!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,212 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Bill has a beard!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭flangemeistro

Looks very promising.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Official from Fox on Youtube:

Wahey.

New Bill Pullman speech.

Bet that shot
    of the bulldozer thing ploughing into the planet will just be a premonition the president gets because of his previous mindlink, they wont have the balls to destroy the planet.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

This looks a lot bigger and better than I was expecting.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Thargor wrote: »
    Bet that shot
    of the bulldozer thing ploughing into the planet will just be a premonition the president gets because of his previous mindlink, they wont have the balls to destroy the planet.

Or it's the ending of the film given away.
    I doubt they'd have it as a planet killer, it looks like a damaged ship in a decaying orbit...

• Registered Users Posts: 28,679 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

That's pretty impressive actually - also check out http://www.warof1996.com/ as they go through the fictional history between the films
    they kill off Will Smith's character entirely it seems

Myrddin wrote: »
    Or it's the ending of the film given away.
    I doubt they'd have it as a planet killer, it looks like a damaged ship in a decaying orbit...
    It looked continent sized to me but Im watching it on a cracked mobile phone screen :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Simon2015

The CGI special effects look crap compared with the original Independence Day.

I wish they would go back to using practical special effects.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

Having Jeff Goldblum back in a major action movie is the main reason I'm interested in this. The idea of retrofitting alien tech with our own has potential too.

Very difficult to judge a movie by its trailer though.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭alex.middleton

please dont be a flop

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

The trailer is surprisingly decent although it seems to lack a central figure, unless Goldblum will be front and centre on this one. Hemsworth certainly won't carry such a role so maybe it'll be shared amongst all the protagonists.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

I will be camping outside the cinema for this. To hell with Will Smith; they got Judd Hirsch back! Best character in the original by a mile.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Cantstandsya

As someone already said, they should stick with practical effects supplemented with CGI. Wikipedia says this has a budget of 200 million, my hole it does, the effects are muck. That shot of the planes flying out of the hanger is particulary bad. It has the look of a straight to TV sci fi channel turd.

Still though, I loved the original so am looking forward to this. I'd go for Jeff Goldblum alone.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

They could well be still working on the quality of the effects for the next few months. Didn't Jurassic World have similar poorly rendered CGI in the early teasers, but improved closer to release?

Advertisement