Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Independence Day: Resurgence **SPOILERS FROM POST 266 ONWARD**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

Bill Pullman sounds like someone with one lung having his testicles crushed in a vice .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Am I the only one who thinks the destruction is on way too big if a scale to think any fight back is believable?

I have it in my head that Emmerich wants to make a third, but I could be wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Cantstandsya

FunLover18 wrote: »
    I have it in my head that Emmerich wants to make a third, but I could be wrong

Yeah I read that was definitely the plan originally... I'm guessing that will depend on how well this one does and I've a bad feeling this is going to tank (hope I'm wrong).

I'm not a fan of trailers as the tone is often fairly different from the film itself. I'm hoping this is fun like the first, the trailer makes it look a bit dark but I'm hoping that's just the trailer.

It is made by the same people, with some of the same cast.. but it looks like it is lacking in a lot of the flair that was in the original. Will Smith seemed to be a huge contributing factor to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,303 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

"They like to get the landmarks"

This looks like my kinda buzz.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

The original was one of my favourite films as a kid. I like my films dark and gritty but I hope this one isnt too dark. We shall see.

I'm delighted to see so many of the original cast back too. No will smith is a loss but if you demand crazy money you are risking being killed off. Apparently he was very upset they killed his character but what did he expect really?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,994 ✭✭✭Nerdkiller1991

Kirby wrote: »
    The original was one of my favourite films as a kid. I like my films dark and gritty but I hope this one isnt too dark. We shall see.
    Well...
    Gintonious wrote: »
    "They like to get the landmarks"

This looks like my kinda buzz.
    I think we know what this movie is going for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

Hold on didn't that scientist with the long hair get killed in the first one?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

JustTheOne wrote: »

Brent Spiner (Data from Star Trek TNG) - yes, that I was my understanding as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,994 ✭✭✭Nerdkiller1991

JustTheOne wrote: »
    Brent Spiner (Data from Star Trek TNG) - yes, that I was my understanding as well.
    Supposedly, Roland explained that he was merely left in a coma after that encounter.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

From the look of the trailer he's going to die again.

Was Hemsworth really the best they could do? When did young leading men become so bland and generic? But I guess we should be grateful they didn't cast Jai Courtney or one his clones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

I really enjoyed that second trailer. Some good lines in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

If the movie has the right balance of not taking itself too seriously and has plenty of Goldblum & other characters from the 1st film then I'm on board. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 55,469 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

An extended 5 minute trailer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

"She is here"

David:"Er, she?!?"

Really looking forward to this.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,041 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

Am I the only one who thinks the destruction is on way too big of a scale to think any fight back is believable?

It looks a bit over the top. It reminds me of 2012 where there was so much destruction throughout that it actually gets boring after a while. I hope that won't be the case with this.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 josh_96

I don't understand why this film was made apart from the fact of taking in a rake load of cash at the box office sure the first film was decent and all but to go out and make a sequel 20 years on is bit much in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭SnakePlissken

josh_96 wrote: »
    I don't understand why this film was made apart from the fact of taking in a rake load of cash at the box office
    You've answered your own question there chief, it's show-business not show-art.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

josh_96 wrote: »
    I don't understand why this film was made apart from the fact of taking in a rake load of cash at the box office sure the first film was decent and all but to go out and make a sequel 20 years on is bit much in my opinion.

First of all, you answered your own question. Money.

Second, I quite like the timing of this. We get to see a sequel set 20 years on, see where the characters are, what the world looks like, how we prepared, etc. Yes, it's a cash in but it looks like a well played cash-in to me and is actually one of the only blockbuster movies to come out in... ever... where my wife will be dragging me to it.

My only concern is this 5 minute trailer they released. To me, that sounds like a lack of confidence and they are trying to hype it up as much as they can for a big opening before a drop off. That said, I liked what I saw in the 5 minute trailer. The destruction seems to be OTT (even in the context of the movie) but I hope they can pull off a win for the humans that doesn't seem any more contrived than the original.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

ill go to see this, the first movie was enjoyable and will be interesting to see the rebuilt world and how they used the alien tech. it doesnt need to be high art just decent summer blockbuster fare

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

I need to dig out my Kindle.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,311 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

I will probably go to see it. I was 13 when the original came out, maybe some 20 year nostalgia going on!

The new one is called Independence Day: Resurgence

Actually, this thread is a great alternative title.

Aide: Sir, the aliens are back!
    POTUS: Dammit, July 4th again, eh? Independence Day 2: Confirmed!
    POTUS: Nuke 'em, let's nuke the bastards!

Anyone else getting bad Transformers/Michael Bay vibes from the trailers?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,777 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Anyone else getting bad Transformers/Michael Bay vibes from the trailers?

It looks like everything from the past few years, tbh. Reminds me of Transformers/Battleship, in particular.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,041 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

It looks like 2012 all over again.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,983 ✭✭✭Unearthly

So it's not being screened for critics before release. Either it's crap, or Fox are treading carefully after X Men Apocalypse

• Registered Users Posts: 55,469 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I've read some reviews this morning. Big dumb fun seems to be the consensus, which sounds absolutely PERFECT to me.

http://m.ie.ign.com/articles/2016/06/20/independence-day-resurgence-review

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Will Judd Hirsch be appearing in this?

Advertisement