Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Independence Day: Resurgence **SPOILERS FROM POST 266 ONWARD**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

As someone already said, they should stick with practical effects supplemented with CGI. Wikipedia says this has a budget of 200 million, my hole it does, the effects are muck. That shot of the planes flying out of the hanger is particulary bad. It has the look of a straight to TV sci fi channel turd.

In fairness it's an early trailer. Plenty of time to work on the visual effects. I'd say they got this trailer out to try and ride on the sci-fi good will generated by Star Wars.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,993 ✭✭✭Nerdkiller1991

Bacchus wrote: »
    In fairness it's an early trailer. Plenty of time to work on the visual effects. I'd say they got this trailer out to try and ride on the sci-fi good will generated by Star Wars.
    Shame that they don't have a moment in the trailer on par with destroying the White House in the original movie's trailers. That movie helped reshape marketing for blockbuster features in a big way because of that.

Shame that they don't have a moment in the trailer on par with destroying the White House in the original movie's trailers. That movie helped reshape marketing for blockbuster features in a big way because of that.

I guess, the moon stuff is meant to draw you in a bit more? No way they could repeat that approach of blowing up an iconic landmark. For a start they were all blown up in the first one and secondly it'd just be threading old ground. This is what ID2 should be, mankind ready for round 2. I like all the fake history stuff too on the viral site, particularly the whole Congo backstory.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

Bacchus wrote: »
    I guess, the moon stuff is meant to draw you in a bit more? No way they could repeat that approach of blowing up an iconic landmark. For a start they were all blown up in the first one and secondly it'd just be threading old ground. This is what ID2 should be, mankind ready for round 2. I like all the fake history stuff too on the viral site, particularly the whole Congo backstory.

The Congo story was the movie I was hoping for when I first heard about a sequel.

dan1895 wrote: »
    The Congo story was the movie I was hoping for when I first heard about a sequel.

Well it seems like we'll get a taste of it in this (going by the trailer). A full length movie on the Congo type fallout of Independence Day would be a cool concept alright but as a straight up sequel to ID4, the route they are going is more natural. It's another big bold, alien invasion movie and it looks like it'll be great.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

I just hope Goldblum and Pullman aren't pushed into glorified cameo roles, Goldblum makes.........ah.........everything better :D

Also, William Fichtner!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,969 ✭✭✭✭syklops

dan1895 wrote: »

A ground offensive? That sounds awesome.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Cantstandsya

Ok, I've been to the Force Awakens twice and at one of the screenings they played the ID 2 trailer... the cinema trailer contains a very small but significant difference to the one that's been put up online, it gave me a great surprise so don't read if you'll be seeing the force awakens soon:
    When the guards are shooting into the dark corridor the cinema trailer clearly shows a group of aliens advancing on the position

• Registered Users Posts: 6,040 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

I love the Youtube comments... THEY'RE BACK.....AND THIS TIME......THEY installed Norton 360. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Heh, I remember that being a favourite of Krudler (Where did he go to?)

I think it was in a deleted scene but the reason Goldblum could do what he did with the computer in the 1st film was because they were able to learn and reverse engineer the software / hardware from the crashed ship. That they had decades to learn it.

Would be such a missed opportunity if they don't address this in the sequel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,981 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Noticed today on Sky Sports they were doing short 10 second ads for this film. Hype starts now :D

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,740 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Unearthly wrote: »
    Noticed today on Sky Sports they were doing short 10 second ads for this film. Hype starts now :D

They're actually doing a 10 second ads for their new sky movies Aliens channel they're launching on January 25th.

It's a collection of all alien invasion movies.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Superbowl ad:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

have to say it looks lovely at the very least.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Looks like London is fncked anyway :D

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,740 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Really? I think some of the CGI looks a bit tacky.

I'm a little worried it's gonna feel really Dumb.

Like, nothing feels like they've put work into a plot for me. I'm hoping it's just them keeping the details secret before the film.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,959 ✭✭✭✭bnt

seamus wrote: »
    Looks like London is fncked anyway :D
    Singapore, too, is Toast.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Slydice wrote: »
    I'm a little worried it's gonna feel really Dumb.

It's a sequel to Independence Day! If it isn't as thick as a short plank they are doing it wrong.

• Advertisement

It's a sequel to Independence Day! If it isn't as thick as a short plank they are doing it wrong.

Yeah I know but something about Independence Day felt right. This is gonna be the same right?! *hopes*

• Registered Users Posts: 3,993 ✭✭✭Nerdkiller1991

Yeah I know but something about Independence Day felt right. This is gonna be the same right?! *hopes*
    Would it be the optimistic hope that the movie had? Or the fact that it showed various cultures and classes unifying together to stop the alien menace? Because it's all right here.

Would it be the optimistic hope that the movie had? Or the fact that it showed various cultures and classes unifying together to stop the alien menace? Because it's all right here.

Yes! :D

Now that was good! :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

That was a surprisingly good video, and made some interesting points (though it does acknowledge the 'unity' message is somewhat undercut by that terrible montage of international stereotypes hanging around for the Americans to save them).

I also think it's funny it mentioned how later blockbusters plummeted into troughs of despair and moodiness that reflected the post 2001 mood, because from the trailers seen so far, that feels like the more likely mood of ID2. Generally, It doesn't quite feel like we're back at the point where summer films try for a more hopeful, adventuring tone.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

For me it was the pacing. The early signs, the building tension, the initial disaster of their counter-attack, the despair, the desperate gambit and the final strike.

Scene by scene the timing was perfect. And the music. All those horns were quite evocative too.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,453 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Full trailer. Can't wait for this! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭SnakePlissken

Looks as though Jeff Goldblum will be front and centre, a very pleasant surprise

• Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭JoeA3

That does look promising but I doubt it'll have a fraction of the charm and wit of the original.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,453 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Made by the same people with some of the same characters?
    That would give it a better shot than most sequels at keeping up the original's tone.

You can tell that Goldblum and Spiner are really going for it too. I'm optimistic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭flangemeistro

Am I the only one who thinks the destruction is on way too big of a scale to think any fight back is believable?

Advertisement