Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Independence Day: Resurgence **SPOILERS FROM POST 266 ONWARD**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,470 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

krudler wrote: »
    Hey I like it too, it's fun sci-fi silliness, great effects, but nonsensical stuff in it. Suspension of disbelief works when the universe within the movie can set up the tech or whatever and keep it within the realms of logic. explosions that dont enter doorways and laptops that can interface with technology from another galaxy when there's earth based operating systems that dont get on with each other is just stupid :p

no it's not. They had decades to build an interface and translation programme with the crashed ship and would already have been able to wire earth tech into it. The laptop doesn't connect to the mother ship, just to the fighter and the fighter connects to the mother ship. I thought that would have been pretty obvious, perfectly achievable and not a plot hole.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,969 ✭✭✭✭syklops

EnterNow wrote: »
    Not overly enthused about yet another cg-fest triple A Hollywood blockbuster either...

Did you think Hollywood had stopped making blockbusters?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

syklops wrote: »
    Did you think Hollywood had stopped making blockbusters?

Interesting ones that live up to expectations? Yes.

EnterNow wrote: »
    Interesting ones that live up to expectations? Yes.

So presumably you didn't like The Avengers, Iron Man 3, The Dark Knight Rises, etc?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

So presumably you didn't like The Avengers, Iron Man 3, The Dark Knight Rises, etc?

There are always exceptions to the rule, but if you re-read my initial post I said I wasn't "overly enthused" about the idea, I didn't write it off. The Hollywood of Terminator 1 & 2 is not the Hollywood we have today, but lets wait & see.

Edit - AND I'm in the wrong thread :o But much the same point.

• Advertisement

They should do it as spoof. The aliens return to Earth to get revenge on McAfee for the terrible Anti-virus software they sold them. Give John McAfee a leading role. Then Jeff Goldblum, using one of the new MacBook Pros, uploads another virus, destroying whatever is left of their civilisation. Oh and Will Smith and Will Smith Jr. show up and stuff explodes for the last 40 minutes.

Shut-up-and-take-my-money.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 85,102 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Will Smith in talks to return now :cool:

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Will Smith in talks to return now :cool:

To be honest, if its not going to be a straight to video affair Will Smith has to be in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,993 ✭✭✭Nerdkiller1991

To be honest, if its not going to be a straight to video affair Will Smith has to be in it.
    Eh? Last time I checked, Since Seven Pounds released, Smith has only been in about 2 movies. MIIIB and After Earth. I'd hardly think he's Nicholas Cage levels of selecting movies.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

The release date has been pushed back a year to July 1, 2016.
    That means the Roland Emmerich-helmed pic will arrive exactly 20 years and one day after the blockbuster original

http://www.deadline.com/2013/11/fox-pushes-independence-day-2-to-2016/

• Advertisement

Eh? Last time I checked, Since Seven Pounds released, Smith has only been in about 2 movies. MIIIB and After Earth. I'd hardly think he's Nicholas Cage levels of selecting movies.
    And?

Thrill wrote: »
    The release date has been pushed back a year to July 1, 2016.

http://www.deadline.com/2013/11/fox-pushes-independence-day-2-to-2016/

Which means "Its been delayed for other reasons and we have found a nice way of convincing the sheeple why.

Genuinely hope that Jaden Smith isn't in this. The guy has the charisma and acting skill of an onion.

Genuinely hope that Jaden Smith isn't in this. The guy has the charisma and acting skill of an onion.

What do you have against onions?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,738 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

At least onions have layers....

And?
    Lets see...in the break that Smith took from filmmaking, Cage has been in about 11 films in the same time frame. To say that Smith will take anything that isn't direct to video compared to Nick is ludicrous.
    Which is a shame, as I really liked that Karate Kid remake, even if it had nothing to do with Karate.

Loughc wrote: »
    At least onions have layers....

Touché! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

I recall seeing this movie in a cinema in NYC and at the end of the movie people stood up and cheered. For what I do not know. I'm amazed its getting a sequel.

Lets see...in the break that Smith took from filmmaking, Cage has been in about 11 films in the same time frame. To say that Smith will take anything that isn't direct to video compared to Nick is ludicrous.

Whats the deal with your fetish for Nicholas Cage? Nicholas Cage wasn't in ID4.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Bullseye1 wrote: »
    I recall seeing this movie in a cinema in NYC and at the end of the movie people stood up and cheered. For what I do not know. I'm amazed its getting a sequel.
    You're amazed that one of the biggest action movies ever is getting a sequel? Really?

I'm amazed it's taken this long.

• Advertisement

Whats the deal with your fetish for Nicholas Cage? Nicholas Cage wasn't in ID4.
    tumblr_m8ahfbYFJR1r29mqno1_500.gif

That's beside the point. I'm just stating about you saying that Will Smith won't turn down anything when that's not true. I mean, he turned down the lead role for Django Unchained, for god's sake!

tumblr_m8ahfbYFJR1r29mqno1_500.gif

That's beside the point. I'm just stating about you saying that Will Smith won't turn down anything when that's not true. I mean, he turned down the lead role for Django Unchained, for god's sake!

I never said he won't turn down anything.

Will Smith was in ID4, or Independece Day Numero Uno. Nicholas Cage was not. If ID4 Two becomes a straight to DVD jobbie, then its fair enough he will turn it down. If they make a stab at a second sci fi block buster sequel which he held a pivotal role in the first one then he should be in it. Was my point.

329763.PNGConfirmed.

I searched for an ID2 thread and was months old. Hope this is not on the first page and I am being blind

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

I hope those brilliant writers will be able to match the eloquence and beauty of Bill Pullman's Oscar winning speech in Independence Day. Quite something to follow up!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭Sonic Death Monkey

Good news. Looking forward to it.

I think Jeff should just install Windows Vista on the mothership this time though.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

If the alien ship has updated to USB ports they're ruined.

If this has Will Smith's kid anywhere near it, I'm not interested. Stupid frowny forehead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭Iranoutofideas

...and next on the list of terrible Hollywood ideas...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭Sonic Death Monkey

...and next on the list of terrible Hollywood ideas...

Fitting username for this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

It's about 18 years late. "Must go faster"

I still consider Bill Pullman to be the greatest president American has ever had.

• Advertisement

If they stick with continuity of time line and make the new film contemporary as against a direct sequel, it could work.

Humans with alien tech adapted and maybe even improved upon against the Aliens. I imagine that the Aliens, to be as big a threat as the President's vision depicted, were not confined to invading one system at a time and have a network of system killers.

The only thing is, are humans hunkering down to fight them off or going on the offense?

Advertisement