Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Independence Day: Resurgence **SPOILERS FROM POST 266 ONWARD**

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭Sonic Death Monkey

If they stick with continuity of time line and make the new film contemporary as against a direct sequel, it could work.

Humans with alien tech adapted and maybe even improved upon against the Aliens. I imagine that the Aliens, to be as big a threat as the President's vision depicted, were not confined to invading one system at a time and have a network of system killers.

The only thing is, are humans hunkering down to fight them off or going on the offense?

Good point. They would've reverse engineered a lot of the stuff that came down with the ships in the first movie.

I wouldn't it'll be an offensive thing. I hope not anyway - it's a better spectacle being under attack from an unknown enemy.

Besides, it mightn't paint humans in the best light by going on intergalactic kill missions! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

Besides, it mightn't paint humans in the best light by going on intergalactic kill missions! :D

Feck 'em, they started it! :pac:

Will Smith needs this as much as anyone. He's disappeared down a black hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,869 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Id love to see a proper upgraded Earth Defense navy of some kind with big ship to ship battles but if I was betting money on it Id go for some lame Stargate storyline involving the aliens developing infiltrator units that look and act like humans with at least one sexy infiltrator played by probably Alice Eve or someone and no doubt she'll show a bit of leg or cleavage to get into some important facility and will we be able to detect them in time to blah blah blah...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

It's a tricky one to follow up and is one instance where I think they'd be best off sticking close to the formula and not try and stick a hybrid dinosaur in there to make it "different". Human tech surely must have been advanced by the alien tech but I'd still like to see it set in a world not too different to our own. That was one of the great things about ID, it took a snapshot of our world with our tech and war machines and added aliens. If we're all technologically advanced for ID2, then it's no longer relatable to the real world and it's just another sci-fi invasion movie with everyone firing lasers at each other. Obviously though the world will have to have changed due to the events in ID but I just hope that is primarily from a military point of view and we don't have colonies living on Mars going around on jet packs.

Bacchus wrote: »
    It's a tricky one to follow up and is one instance where I think they'd be best off sticking close to the formula and not try and stick a hybrid dinosaur in there to make it "different". Human tech surely must have been advanced by the alien tech but I'd still like to see it set in a world not too different to our own. That was one of the great things about ID, it took a snapshot of our world with our tech and war machines and added aliens. If we're all technologically advanced for ID2, then it's no longer relatable to the real world and it's just another sci-fi invasion movie with everyone firing lasers at each other. Obviously though the world will have to have changed due to the events in ID but I just hope that is primarily from a military point of view and we don't have colonies living on Mars going around on jet packs.

Except the ridiculous nature of the first?
    Jeff able to write a virus on a Mac laptop, their big weapon being a massive weakness, their not scanning returning ships to the mother ship AND why not bomb us from space??

It could have us finding information on the second wave coming and scrambling to build new tech, remember the global population centres and industrial hubs are destroyed. Earth would just be getting back on its feet and now faces the new threat (or just give us X-Com the film)

• Advertisement

Except the ridiculous nature of the first?
    Jeff able to write a virus on a Mac laptop, their big weapon being a massive weakness, their not scanning returning ships to the mother ship AND why not bomb us from space??

I'm not saying that ID was an airtight plot. I'm just saying that part of the appeal was seeing "the real world" get invaded and blown up by vastly superior aliens. So, for the sequel I think they have a tricky task in balancing what made ID appealing and creating the post ID world. It's trickier too because most of the major landmarks are already blown up! In my mind it should be an almost post 9/11 world on a global scale (without getting too political and losing the fun) - i.e. the world is still spinning, civilisation is just getting back on it's feet (as you menioned too) but there is the terror of the aliens returning. Technology should be more advanced than what we have now (particularly military) but I'd rather not see a human space armada or moon bases etc.

TBH though, I don't really know how they should handle another invasion. A lot of the impact of the invasion is gone with the lack of major cities to blow up so the game needs to be changed. Maybe a covert mission to infiltrate the alien fleet and infect them with Regin :pac: while the clock ticks on a new mothership heading for Earth... due to arrive on Thanksgiving Day so they can call this "Independence Day 2: Thanksgiving Day". It gives the president a whole new angle to give a speech.

krudler wrote: »
    Being able to hook a laptop from Earth up to an alien craft is one of the dumbest things in the history of cinema though :pac: what did he use to send the virus? wifi? bluetooth? a usb cable? most people cant connect a printer to a network without tearing their hair out never mind an alien mothership :P

The laptop was hooked up to the alien spacecraft they were in, which in turn was connected (alien tech, or just alien WiFi) to the mothership. If you look closely the laptop has cables running out of the back to suggest it's connected up.

The aliens used human built satellite's to to coordinate their attack which suggests some level of compatibility - after all - the technology we use today (or in 1996 in the film), it can be assumed, had been reverse engineered from the alien craft that crashed.

They didn't use the satellites, the satellites were just acting as accidental antennae picking up the alien communications signal, everyone on Earth was complaining about interference until whatshisface figured out what it was...

Antennae have various capabilities as regards frequency etc so in order to use the satellites as such, there would have to be some level of compatibility no? I don't know I'm asking..

Anyway, the second part still stands! :D

• Advertisement

No no no, they were accidental antennae like when your headphones pick up that annoying sound when someone makes a mobile call near you. Nothing to do with the aliens plans whatsoever, just a convenient plot device to let Jeff Goldblum, who worked with satellites, view the aliens communications and see that they were running a countdown.

Thargor wrote: »
    They didn't use the satellites, the satellites were just acting as accidental antennae picking up the alien communications signal, everyone on Earth was complaining about interference until whatshisface figured out what it was...

Tut tut have you forgotten the amazin line of sight diagram. They used the satellites to bounce their signal around the planet to ships outside of LoS of each other.
    Meant the they were patched into them

Did they? I don't remember that at all and Ive been forced to watch that film at relatives houses about 7 times...

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭NyOmnishambles

Thargor wrote: »
    Did they? I don't remember that at all and Ive been forced to watch that film at relatives houses about 7 times...

Pretty sure it was referenced that they were using the satelittes to co-ordinate their attack

Just realised that my confirmation thread just got necro merged by a mod

Pretty sure it was referenced that they were using the satelittes to co-ordinate their attack

They're using our own satellites against us!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭ktulu123

Genuinely hope that Jaden Smith isn't in this. The guy has the charisma and acting skill of an onion.
    Loughc wrote: »
    At least onions have layers....

I know these are old posts here but it was on the page I jumped in on. Fecking hilarious!! haha!

Absolutely loved the first film, can't wait for this. Whoever the president is has huge boots to fill. Bill Pullman was awesome. "I'm a combat pilot, Will. I belong in the air" What a line!

I would echo everyone else in saying Jaden Smith better not be involved...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

ktulu123 wrote: »
    I know these are old posts here but it was on the page I jumped in on. Fecking hilarious!! haha!

Absolutely loved the first film, can't wait for this. Whoever the president is has huge boots to fill. Bill Pullman was awesome. "I'm a combat pilot, Will. I belong in the air" What a line!

I would echo everyone else in saying Jaden Smith better not be involved...

Will Smith will be president and his son will be the nonchalant hero that saves the day. :pac:

smcgiff wrote: »
    Will Smith will be president and his son will be the nonchalant hero that saves the day. :pac:

I wonder will Jayden make it to NASA and succeed where his father failed....

...unless Will got a pass for saving the world that ONE time! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭Joeface

Shouldn't they just make it so Independence Day 1996 that Humans won that Battle but actually lost the war , and Independence Day 2 Is a bigger fight back, they have spent 18years fighting back and have managed to Join alien tech with there own ...and so on.

A second invasion would just run the same course as the first movie .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Calibos

Joeface wrote: »
    Shouldn't they just make it so Independence Day 1996 that Humans won that Battle but actually lost the war , and Independence Day 2 Is a bigger fight back, they have spent 18years fighting back and have managed to Join alien tech with there own ...and so on.

A second invasion would just run the same course as the first movie .

Plausible.

Remember when our heroes entered the mothership in orbit. They flew past hundreds or thousands of Troop Carrier Dropships embarking invasion troops and leaving the mothership.

The backstory for the Aliens was they were like locusts. They moved their entire civilisation from planet to planet, consumed all the resources and moving onto the next planet. One could imagine that if they met stiff enough resistance on a given planet, they'd return to the mothership and move on to an easier planet. By destroying the mothership we cut off their means of retreat. The invasion force that had already left the mothership for earth before it was destroyed were now stranded. Now they had nothing to lose and would fight to the last 'man' to take over earth as their new permanent home. Maybe the new films will be the climax of that 20 year war.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭Joeface

see doing Roland's work from him right here on boards .

• Registered Users Posts: 85,105 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Liam Hemsworth rumoured for lead role

• Registered Users Posts: 85,105 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Vivica A. Fox is back http://variety.com/2015/film/news/vivica-a-fox-joins-independence-day-2-1201458902/

Jessie Usher will play the son of Will Smith’s Steven Hiller character from the original as Smith is not expected to return

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Adamantium

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Vivica A. Fox is back http://variety.com/2015/film/news/vivica-a-fox-joins-independence-day-2-1201458902/

Jessie Usher will play the son of Will Smith’s Steven Hiller character from the original as Smith is not expected to return

Lack of Smith is going to stick out like a sore thumb. With many of the major ones back.
    Was Bill Pullman made President for life after this? Wonder will he be in this (by I don't he mean he has had to do THAT speech at every bar, funeral and fan convention from year to eternity)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,969 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Coz Will Smith is busy doing what exactly?

Seems weird the Mom and the son are going to be in it, but Big Daddy isnt.

The only way I can see it working is, it starting again early in the morning Washington DC time and an Air Force General is shown a report

Air Force Analyst: the deep space sensor net out by Jupiter picked up this signal 26 minutes ago. The last time we saw a signal of this configuration was 20 years ago.
    General: You mean? Them? But we destroyed them?
    Analyst: We assumed it was just one ship. Maybe they've come looking for their friends.
    General: OK, I want you to wake up the joint chiefs, national security council. Ah hell, just wake everybody up.

Independence Day 2: They're back. And this time, its personal.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,740 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

syklops wrote: »
    Coz Will Smith is busy doing what exactly?

Considering how some sequels from the 90s ended up I wouldn't blame him if he did go missing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Adamantium wrote: »
    Lack of Smith is going to stick out like a sore thumb. With many of the major ones back.
    Was Bill Pullman made President for life after this? Wonder will he be in this (by I don't he mean he has had to do THAT speech at every bar, funeral and fan convention from year to eternity)

To be fair, best fake presidential speech ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭paddyismaddy

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Liam Hemsworth rumoured for lead role

is he thor or the brother

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,740 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

is he thor or the brother

Chris Hemsworth is Thor, Liam is his brother.

Advertisement