Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Independence Day: Resurgence **SPOILERS FROM POST 266 ONWARD**

Options

Comments

Why do you refer to it as ID4? Where does the 4 come out of ..?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,239 ✭✭✭Elessar

Why do you refer to it as ID4? Where does the 4 come out of ..?

4th July.

EDIT: More specifically, it's trivia from the movie:
    The abbreviation "ID4" was invented due to undisclosed legal problems (long since resolved) with the title "Independence Day".

Huh.
    The final sentence of the President's speech was not in the original script and was added at the last minute for dramatic effect in an effort to convince 20th Century Fox not to avoid a legal battle to earn the right to name the film "Independence Day." Fox first wanted to open the film on Memorial Day and change the name to 'Doomsday' to avoid the fierce competition on July 4th.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,993 ✭✭✭Nerdkiller1991

That's it. After reading through the posts from when I was gone, I'm gonna watch my BD again, tonight.
    syklops wrote: »
    Looking back at movies of that era, it was a great time for special effects. JP in 1995, ID4 in 1996, JP2 in 1997, Armageddon in 1998, and then boom, CGI took over with the likes of Star Wars Episode 1. Could we hope for a ID4++ to not be CGI?
    Well, from what I've heard, JP4 is going to stick with the animatronic/CG blend from the previous movies. But for ID4:2, I don't really expect them to stick to it for the convenience of it. If I remember, the first movie had more miniatures used than any other film before it, which have so much detail compared to anything CG.

id4_commentary2.jpg

Independence-Day.jpg

434595-vlcsnap_00027_super.png

That explosion shot alone signifies why practical explosions are better at conveying the damage done to the structure in question. With CG, the damage is usually hand modeled on a computer, which, unlike the more random scatter of a practical shot, would mean the modeller might leave out important damage detail that the explosion offers.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

That explosion shot alone signifies why practical explosions are better at conveying the damage done to the structure in question. With CG, the damage is usually hand modeled on a computer, which, unlike the more random scatter of a practical shot, would mean the modeller might leave out important damage detail that the explosion offers.

Are you sure? I would have thought it was simulated.

Although I've never been, a colleague involved in medical imaging did go to a conference in the states and a lot of work was published by the movie CG crowds such as pixar. I'm not sure how realistic it is to "hand model" such complexities, for example the fur of Sully in Monster's Inc. was all simulated. I would have thought most CGI such as liquids, explosions or even Superman's cape were done using algorithmic simulation and not an animator drawing each frame in the computer:

http://64.106.20.52/~chris2d/papers/cdavis_r2.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    Are you sure? I would have thought it was simulated.

I remember seeing the behind the scenes footage. They had an eight foot model of that building that they exploded.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

The White House was definitely a practical effect and looks all the better for it.

They blew it up, recorded it at high speed, and then slowed the footage down to make the explosion feel more massive:

When filmed scenes for the destruction of New York, this fire truck was just a crappy toy someone bought down in the shop. Look at it's front wheel :pac:
    i577548.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

EoghanIRL wrote: »
    Wow they're running out of ideas

about time too,

remake all the things!

pixelburp wrote: »
    Hmmm, considering the film already spawned a pretty successful / popular sequence of TV spin-offs - a few TV movies too - is a direct sequel to the original film needed? Heck, would Emmerich even be allowed get his hands on the franchise; I presume the Sci-Fi channel are the ones holding the rights atm, and Emmerich's style seems at odds with what I understand the Stargate mythology morphed into.

The rights belong to MGM and Devlin has repeatedly regretted signing over the rights. He struck a deal to produce four films with them and his plan was for two of those to round out the Stargate trilogy he originally envisioned. Both Russell and Spacer have expressed interest and given that part two was to pick up 12years later, the ageing of both wont be such an issue. Sadly, I doubt it'll ever happen and it's a shame as Stargate is one if my favorite films and Devlin's plans were quite interesting

• Registered Users Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭Crooked Jack

ID4 was the shorthand for Independence Day.

MV5BMTMwODY3NzQzNF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNzUxNjc0MQ@@._V1_SY317_CR6,0,214,317_.jpg

Really? Thats bizarre. i had no idea. Is it something to do with the 4th of july?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

If Judd Hirsch is not in this I may cry. pretty much my favourite film ever, they better not **** up the sequel.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,969 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Really? Thats bizarre. i had no idea. Is it something to do with the 4th of july?

I think its safe to assume that it is to do with 4th of July, 4th of July being Independence Day.

They will never ruin what I have gotten from this movie so far(I have watched it hundreds of times) but I do hope they do the original justice. They will never surpass the "I gave it a cold" moment though.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

I think its safe to assume that it is to do with 4th of July, 4th of July being Independence Day.

They will never ruin what I have gotten from this movie so far(I have watched it hundreds of times) but I do hope they do the original justice. They will never surpass the "I gave it a cold" moment though.

Being able to hook a laptop from Earth up to an alien craft is one of the dumbest things in the history of cinema though :pac: what did he use to send the virus? wifi? bluetooth? a usb cable? most people cant connect a printer to a network without tearing their hair out never mind an alien mothership :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

Well he did have a fighter to practice on.

Well he did have a fighter to practice on.

Pffft, then Will Smith saying he should be allowed fly the fighter cos he was "aware of its capabilities" that's like me saying the navy should let me pilot a fighter jet cos I watched Top Gun :pac:

krudler wrote: »
    Being able to hook a laptop from Earth up to an alien craft is one of the dumbest things in the history of cinema though :pac: what did he use to send the virus? wifi? bluetooth? a usb cable? most people cant connect a printer to a network without tearing their hair out never mind an alien mothership :P

Theres always one.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Zillah wrote: »
    I remember seeing the behind the scenes footage. They had an eight foot model of that building that they exploded.

I've seen the making of. I wasn't referring to Independence Day but CG in general. I don't think explosions are "hand drawn" by CG artists, but simulated, that's what I was getting at.

Missing details will depend on the complexity of the simulation.

Independence Day is one of my most favourite movies in the world ever, but it does have a few plot holes. Hooking the laptop up to the ship doesn't bother me. I am confident that jeff Goldblums hacker character could build the connector with duck tape and aluminium foil.

That aside, its a scifi movie. There has to be a certain suspension of disbelief for the concept to work. Do you come out of a star trek movie and go "Well none of that could have happened because you can't fly faster than light"?

The more ridiculous plot device for me is the president, now, the leader of the world, risking his life to fly fighter jets. They're desperate for pilots, but they're not that desperate. In the real world the secret service would have tied him to a chair before they allowed that to happen.

Again, its a movie, its not real life. If it was real life, it would have been 34 hours long and the first 3 hours would have been the president in meetings with J3 and those guys use 12 words when 1 would have been enough. Trust me, I was in a meeting with them last week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Bill Pullman and Jeff Goldblum are returning, Will Smith wants to much cash apparently

after his latest effort has bombed beyond belief id say smith will get on board so to speak.

Independence Day is one of my most favourite movies in the world ever, but it does have a few plot holes. Hooking the laptop up to the ship doesn't bother me. I am confident that jeff Goldblums hacker character could build the connector with duck tape and aluminium foil.

That aside, its a scifi movie. There has to be a certain suspension of disbelief for the concept to work. Do you come out of a star trek movie and go "Well none of that could have happened because you can't fly faster than light"?

The more ridiculous plot device for me is the president, now, the leader of the world, risking his life to fly fighter jets. They're desperate for pilots, but they're not that desperate. In the real world the secret service would have tied him to a chair before they allowed that to happen.

Again, its a movie, its not real life. If it was real life, it would have been 34 hours long and the first 3 hours would have been the president in meetings with J3 and those guys use 12 words when 1 would have been enough. Trust me, I was in a meeting with them last week.

Hey I like it too, it's fun sci-fi silliness, great effects, but nonsensical stuff in it. Suspension of disbelief works when the universe within the movie can set up the tech or whatever and keep it within the realms of logic. explosions that dont enter doorways and laptops that can interface with technology from another galaxy when there's earth based operating systems that dont get on with each other is just stupid :p

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭transylman

My opinion is summed up in the video below. First half had some good alien saucer moments, but the movie overall was ruined by the silly ending and ridiculus sterotypes (old jewish guy, gruff military guy, drunken redneck, etc etc)

• Advertisement

Hey I like it too, it's fun sci-fi silliness, great effects, but nonsensical stuff in it. Suspension of disbelief works when the universe within the movie can set up the tech or whatever and keep it within the realms of logic. explosions that dont enter doorways and laptops that can interface with technology from another galaxy when there's earth based operating systems that dont get on with each other is just stupid :p

Im not defending LA's strongest door.

Do you really find it so hard to believe that Jeff Goldblums character could send a signal to the alien ship using a laptop? The virus was simply an instruction to drop the shields. He had already downloaded their own signal and converted it to binary. All he needs to do is flip some bits to change the signal into something else in their own language. They have a working alien ship so they can brute force the settings on the alien ship and find out what signal does what, find out which signal turns off the shields, and send that. I used a similar technique to figure out the SNMP OIDs on some israeli wireless equipment I had access to, but didn't have access to the manuals.

Part of my job is building devices or writing software to solve problems that people havn't found answers to before, so maybe I find it easier to believe that it could be done than you.

At this point the only way I can demonstrate my point is if you go find me some alien technology and I figure out a way to interface with it with my Fedora 17 laptop, which admittedly is not going to happen any time soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭flas

ollie1 wrote: »
    Seventeen years since the last Independence Day movie :eek: Man that makes me feel old.

stillnremember my mam bringin me and my nest friend to see this in the cinema,when the only popcorn you could get in our old cinema was bags of manhaton...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭FrostyJack

transylman wrote: »
    My opinion is summed up in the video below. First half had some good alien saucer moments, but the movie overall was ruined by the silly ending and ridiculus sterotypes (old jewish guy, gruff military guy, drunken redneck, etc etc)

That was the fun part of it. I especially love when they contacted the British and others to co-ordinate. They were only short of having a bunch of onions around the French guys neck and Asians in Karate suits. Hilarious.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Independence Day is one of my most favourite movies in the world ever, but it does have a few plot holes.

Ha ha! Can I play?

2001 is one of my favourite films ever, but the pace is a little slow at times and the dialogue isn't very snappy.

Ha ha! Can I play?

Im sorry dave I can't do that..

2001 is very slow but thats maybe a topic for another thread.
    That was the fun part of it. I especially love when they contacted the British and others to co-ordinate. They were only short of having a bunch of onions around the French guys neck and Asians in Karate suits. Hilarious.

The fighter pilot with his etonian accent. "I say, we've received a message over morse code! By jove, its the americans. Woops, I just spilt my pink gin."

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 6,330 Mod ✭✭✭✭PerrinV2

I remember the video being got in the house and it had one of those magic eye cover things when you tilted it went from non blown up white house to blown up white house.
    Twas cool at the time...a simpler time :pac:

PerrinV2 wrote: »
    I remember the video being got in the house and it had one of those magic eye cover things when you tilted it went from non blown up white house to blown up white house.
    Twas cool at the time...a simpler time :pac:

I had that as well. It was a hologram.

FrostyJack wrote: »

"The Yanks want to attack/ bout bloody time!" toodle pip whatwhat, by jove!

gotta love the US versions of other country stereotypes, they should have had a scene set in Ireland with us flinging sacks of potatoes at the ships. One parked over a crannog :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭mrmorgan

to be fair, it sounds horrific

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

I have to say I find watching Independence Day a real struggle these days, it seems bloody endless. Not overly enthused about yet another cg-fest triple A Hollywood blockbuster either...

Advertisement