Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

John Delaney rebel song

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Cpt Sh!t Craic

**** who buzz-kill an evening in the pub by signing maudlin, ****e songs about murdering-terrorists need to cop the fcuk on.

Appropriate username...

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

**** who buzz-kill an evening in the pub by signing maudlin, ****e songs about murdering-terrorists need to cop the fcuk on.

Tbh, I think we should probably stay on topic and not drag The British Crown Forces into the discussion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Looks like the Irish times is trying to stir the pot in relation to a non-story in which john Delaney sang a rebel ballad.
    It seems the fai haven't issued a statement on the matter, ffs.
    Have the guardians of moral decency decreed that rebel songs are now abhorrent and the historical revisionism must be inforced in case someone's takes offence.

Well 'someone' who doesn't want themselves to be shown seems to agree with the last point

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

6541 wrote: »
    One man's terrorist another man Freedom fighter. Joe McDonnell is a hero !

Shame the PIRA killed him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭jugger0

getzls wrote: »
    Ah! You can see the difference?
    I make a light hearted and ok, tasteless post and you jump on it.

But posters can see no wrong it the praising of the IRA who murdered thousands?

Strange old world eh?

No wonder us Bastards would sooner die than be part of an U.I.

lol where you getting these figures outta? thousands?

I imagine you're a fan of the British army and the RAF? How many German civilians did they kill during World War 2? I'll give ya a wee hint, its in the hundreds of thousands... The British are the kings of terrorism, i mean you are the result of terrorism and ethnic cleansing...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Barely There

jugger0 wrote: »

I imagine you're a fan of the British army and the RAF? How many German civilians did they kill during World War 2? I'll give ya a wee hint, its in the hundreds of thousands... The British are the kings of terrorism, i mean you are the result of terrorism and ethnic cleansing...

World War II.

Basically the same as IRA terrorism apparently.

jugger0 wrote: »

Other than old fashioned whataboutery, what has that got to do with the head of the FAI singing songs praising a terrorist?

World War II.

Basically the same as IRA terrorism apparently.

Nah man, i would never compare the violence of the IRA to the levels of barbarity achieved by the British, burning to death 25,000 German civilians in Dresden... Its cool tho cos they're British and not Micks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭6541

Shame the PIRA killed him.

You could have many view's but without these great people

Bobby Sands
    Francis Hughes
    Raymond McCreesh
    Patsy O'Hara
    Joe McDonnell
    Martin Hurson
    Kevin Lynch
    Kieran Doherty
    Thomas McElwee
    Michael Devine

We would not have reached an accommodation with the British.
    Great people, never forgotten ! Honor Ireland's Patriot Dead!

Other than old fashioned whataboutery, what has that got to do with the head of the FAI singing songs praising a terrorist?

Just thinks its a lol that Brits call the IRA out on the murder of innocents, it makes me laugh it does.

• Advertisement

Bobby Sands
    Francis Hughes
    Raymond McCreesh
    Patsy O'Hara
    Joe McDonnell
    Martin Hurson
    Kevin Lynch
    Kieran Doherty
    Thomas McElwee
    Michael Devine

No mention of Tim Parry or Jonathan Ball?

Odd bunch, republicans.

Complain about the Poppy only commemorating one side's war dead, but only sing songs about their own.

Same old hypocrisy.

Odd bunch, republicans.

Complain about the Poppy only commemorating one side's war dead, but only sing songs about their own.

Same old hypocrisy.

Sorry Mate I am an Irish Republican, talking about our Patriot Dead.
    I do not support the Poppy in Ireland, you can wear it in Britain if you like.
    Tim Parry and Jonathan Ball were victims my post was not about them or other victims like bloody Sunday.

Patrick Doherty (31)
    Gerald Donaghy (17)
    John 'Jackie' Duddy (17)
    Hugh Gilmour (17)
    Michael Kelly (17)
    Michael McDaid (20)
    Kevin McElhinney (17)
    Bernard 'Barney' McGuigan (41)
    Gerard McKinney (35)
    William 'Willie' McKinney (27)
    William Nash (19)
    James Wray (22)
    John Young (17)
    John Johnston (59)

All victims RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭Crooked Jack

Odd bunch, republicans.

Same old hypocrisy.

You literally have no idea what the word hypocrisy means

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Uncle Ruckus

We truly are a self loathing nation. If this was in the U.S. it would only be an issue if he sang "Dixie" but if I remember correctly we won the war and Irish rebel songs celebrate defeating oppressive, bigoted imperialist regimes. Kind of reminds me of Orwell's Animal farm: "The revolution is over. From now on that song is banned."

You literally have no idea what the word hypocrisy means

You literally have no idea of the word literally.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,293 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Big drama over nothing, he was in a pub and some west brit tosser with a smartphone and nothing better to do wanted to cause trouble for him.

I see what you did there, clever, but still doesnt change the fact that your example was not hypocritical in the least.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

Bobby Sands
    Francis Hughes
    Raymond McCreesh
    Patsy O'Hara
    Joe McDonnell
    Martin Hurson
    Kevin Lynch
    Kieran Doherty
    Thomas McElwee
    Michael Devine

And an excellent example to those trying to lose those pesky few pounds in time for Christmas

• Registered Users Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭Fuhrer

He seems to be using the word correctly.

You on the other hand...

Santa Cruz wrote: »
    And an excellent example to those trying to lose those pesky few pounds in time for Christmas

That's in bad taste mate. If you don't like irishness why are you on an Irish site ?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

That's in bad taste mate. If you don't like irishness why are you on an Irish site ?

What has deliberately starving yourself to death got to do with being Irish? The hunger strikers were clearly mentally unbalanced weirdos as evidenced firstly by engaging in terrorism and then smearing their shite everywhere whilst committing suicide.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,703 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Bobby Sands
    Francis Hughes
    Raymond McCreesh
    Patsy O'Hara
    Joe McDonnell
    Martin Hurson
    Kevin Lynch
    Kieran Doherty
    Thomas McElwee
    Michael Devine

It's well known that the Provos deliberately targeted fussy eaters to go on hunger strike, not quite the selfless sacrifice it's made out to be.

Santa Cruz wrote: »
    padd b1975 wrote: »
    It's well known that the Provos deliberately targeted fussy eaters to go on hunger strike, not quite the selfless sacrifice it's made out to be.

Look at the mentality we're dealing with here. This is the type of playground stuff you'd here willi frazer or some p1ssed up group of kick the pope bandsmen chanting. Ye are in great company lads. Done yourselves proud there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

Big drama over nothing, he was in a pub and some west brit tosser with a smartphone and nothing better to do wanted to cause trouble for him.

I think not. I would guess that it was one of the merry bunch of protesters who are trying to get him removed from his position in the FAI.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭MonsterCookie

A guy in a position of responsibility should not be caught offside like that:D

I see it as a story, worthy of reporting. Now that he has apologised, we can move on...

A lot of the argument here seems to be about this guy's competence in his current position in soccer, which I know nothing about and could care about even less.
    What I do know is that there is nothing wrong with anyone singing Joe McDonnell. Find me one sectarian or offensive lyric in that song.
    This whole story is bullsh!t and reeks of the forlock tugging inferiority complex a lot of Irish people seem to have, especially regarding our own history with Britain

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭bit of a bogey

padd b1975 wrote: »

F*ck off with your bull****

• Registered Users Posts: 843 ✭✭✭boetstark

Maybe I might sing an old ditty myself when we beat Glasgow septic on Feb 1st. Maybe all the ira sympathisers will join in,
    Could you go a chicken supper....... :-D

boetstark wrote: »
    Maybe I might sing an old ditty myself when we beat Glasgow septic on Feb 1st. Maybe all the ira sympathisers will join in,
    Could you go a chicken supper....... :-D

I've asked this before of another poster and they werent able to answer. I've often heard people singing this or a variation of this before but I could never figure out, why is it funny. i ask that not as a republican, just genuinely, where is the joke there or is it just some vague connection between hungerstrike and food.
    Again, I want to stress, im not askin about the intent or anything like that behind the song, just why do some people think it's so funny/clever?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭dirtyden

He consistently demonstrates through what could be described as pretty juvenile behaviour that he is unsuited to his role. He wants to be one of the lads out getting locked with the fans. This behaviour might be overlooked if he was doing a decent job as CEO but I don't see that he is excelling in any way.

There was the farcical 33rd team plea, getting drunk all over Poland at the euros and now this. I am struggling to find something in the positive column.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement