Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

John Delaney rebel song

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Witchie

DylanAFC wrote: »
    Hopefully it's the start of his demise though. The man is a complete disgrace and doesn't have the best interest of Irish football at heart. Where was he when Monaghan went bust, on the piss in Gdansk.

We didn't actually go "bust" we stepped out of the league before that would happen to try and save our club for our community.

As for him singing this song, I think it is awful. As the leader of the FAI it is totally inappropriate. He is the public face of the Football Association in Ireland and has to meet with heads of other FA's including the Northern Ireland one.

There has been talk for many years of amalgamation of the 2 FA's on this island and going down the route of the IRFU but that is not very likely when you have a gombeen like John singing songs like this.

Imagine if Jim Shaw, Alex Horne or Stewart Regan were singing sectarian songs!

This is very much a story and Mr Delaney is once more a laughing stock.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 489 ✭✭Sclosages

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6A-ucLv44Y

My favourite one...........

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 489 ✭✭Sclosages

diddley di de dumpty di

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

The irony of John Delaney being criticised for singing songs tastes sweet in my mouth.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Witchie wrote: »
    As the leader of the FAI it is totally inappropriate. He is the public face of the Football Association in Ireland

and considering half the irish team is english,

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭wendell borton

Well the FAI is actually a Leinster splinter group of the original IFA, so if there going to be reunification the fai will have to go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

DeadHand wrote: »
    Do you also find "Le Marseillaise" and "The Star-Spangled Banner" and the singing of them equally abhorrent, since both are rebel songs ?

Are either of those marketed at barstoolers that would crap themselves if they saw an Armalite?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

1. Who gives a fcuk?
    2. Delaney is an awful singer. He should stick to what he's good at. Which is...can't think of anything. Does anyone know what he's good?
    3. There are a lot better rebel songs than that one

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Are either of those marketed at barstoolers that would crap themselves if they saw an Armalite?

I doubt many in America would crap themselves at the sight of a gun tbh as they are so easy to get and it would seem plenty of households have one!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,845 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

Good on yeah John, great tune, I have been known to sing it myself with a skinful though I usually forget the words half way through

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭Notorious97

I personally don't see a problem with singing Irish rebel songs, I have no loyalty to Delaney but plenty of high profile people admit to enjoying them.

The Irish football team Roy Keane admits played them on team bus, I remember seeing the limerick hurling team on Rte news singing it couple years ago before or after a game.

There are plenty of rebel songs which are not actually any good and seem to only offend and I don't like those personally but each to their own I guess.

Personally for the 1916 commemoration I am expecting it to be a no expense spared affair to remember some real Irish heroes, sadly nobody in the Dáil are fit to fill their shoes, from 1916 to our independence, so will probably be a let down.

Anyway back on topic Delaney is an eejit and sooner the better for Irish football he is gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭golfball37

not yet wrote: »
    I get the feeling ''people'' are ok with rebel songs pre-troubles..

Anything after that is to close to the bone. The wolf tones etc are acceptable with Sean south and Dying rebel etc, but throw in Read the roll of honour or Black watch and the west brits come out in force..

Thats my suspicion also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Highflyer13

I personally don't see a problem with singing Irish rebel songs, I have no loyalty to Delaney but plenty of high profile people admit to enjoying them.

The Irish football team Roy Keane admits played them on team bus, I remember seeing the limerick hurling team on Rte news singing it couple years ago before or after a game.

There are plenty of rebel songs which are not actually any good and seem to only offend and I don't like those personally but each to their own I guess.

Personally for the 1916 commemoration I am expecting it to be a no expense spared affair to remember some real Irish heroes, sadly nobody in the Dáil are fit to fill their shoes, from 1916 to our independence, so will probably be a let down.

Anyway back on topic Delaney is an eejit and sooner the better for Irish football he is gone.

I read somewhere of someone comparing him as an Irish version of Alan Partridge. After having a couple of scoops with JD before I tend to agree! Comes across as full of it and frankly not so bright.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Imagine if we had no rebel songs, sure it wouldn't be worth your while going to any residents bar after a good wedding :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Oops!

I read somewhere of someone comparing him as an Irish version of Alan Partridge. After having a couple of scoops with JD before I tend to agree! Comes across as full of it and frankly not so bright.

All he's missing is the Lexus.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭DeadHand

Besides the point, you made a blanket condemnation of all rebel songs.

Most rebel songs will have had their origins in times of violent insurrection, just like Le Marseillaise and The Star Spangled Banner. The admittedly cynical marketing and bar stool nonsense came later.

Rebel songs in and of themselves are not abhorrent, it's the context they are used in and way in which they are used that's the issue.

If someone sings one among friends in a pub, that is perfectly fine to me. If someone bawls one aggressively at English fans filing peaceable out of the Aviva then, yes, that is abhorrent.

DeadHand wrote: »
    Rebel songs in and of themselves are not abhorrent, it's the context they are used in and way in which they are used that's the issue.

well the issue is...john delaney is the president of the FAI so in that context its wrong

imagine if the president of the scottish FA was caught singing the Sash there would be uproar amongst the irish

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭wendell borton

fryup wrote: »
    well the issue is...john delaney is the president of the FAI so in that context its wrong

imagine if the president of the scottish FA was caught singing the Sash there would be uproar amongst the irish

I'd have no problem with it, it commenerates historical events rather than cause insult.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

well its insulting to victims of IRA violence

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

fryup wrote: »
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

well its insulting to victims of IRA violence

The most insulting thing about Delaney and the FAI is the money they're on, not whatever tune they happen to sing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Highflyer13

The more senior you become in any organisation the greater the expectation on you to represent that organisation in a professional manner at all times. It's all well and good saying that he was in a pub in a private capacity, but that pub was just around the corner from the stadium, not long after the match. If there were sponsors, affiliates, other FAI officials or US officials there then as far as I'm concerned he is still on the clock and should act accordingly. Even if he was just there with friends, he would have known that there were people there who knew him as the CEO of the FAI so he should be behaving in an appropriate manner.

I don't have an issue with the song itself, or with people singing it, or even with John Delaney singing it (if he gets lessons next time that would be good though), I think it is inappropriate for the CEO of the FAI to be singing in a pub in the hours leading up to or after a match, any song, he represents Irish football and he does that all the time, not just in the 90 minutes of the game. His dealings with the media and the public at any time reflect on the FAI. He might think that is unfair, but the same rules apply to the CEO of any organisation. If the CEO of my company went for a few drinks in a pub after the AGM and started singing he would more than likely be sacked.

I don't know if he was drunk when he was singing, but he was certainly drunk when he was being carried around in Poland with no shoes on. I thought that was unacceptable behaviour from the CEO then and I think this is now. It's not about the song it's about his public persona. The song itself doesn't help as it would be considered offensive to some people in other countries that he will be dealing with in the next few months.

Now maybe he likes to have a sing song in the pub after every match, and this was just him doing what he always does, but given he was well aware that people were angry with the ticket situation, given the protest had just been suppressed by stewards and Gardai if not on his orders certainly with his knowledge, and given there is an ongoing level of anger at his management of domestic football he should be well aware that appearing in a pub and singing a song would not go down well with the various supporters who are pissed off with him, and in this day and age anyone doing anything in a public place should not be surprised if it is caught on camera.

He constantly shows errors of judgement in how he protrays himself publically, that reflects negatively on the FAI and as the CEO it should be his job to portray a positive image of that organisation, he is failing to do that, and he is failing in other more important areas of his job in my opinion.

Thought that was a great post on YBIG. The man is being rewarded for acting the clown and failing. He reminds me of some of our politicians actually. Ah sure as long as its a bit of craic. He is well known for buying the fans beer to win their affections. Its starting to wear thin now with many Ireland fans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Cantremember

Now, Delaney had a donkey...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

Delaney: "Am I doing a good job?"
    Delaney: "That's a good question."
    Delaney: "I'm glad I asked myself that."
    Delaney: "Yes, I am doing an excellent job."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭yipeeeee

Christmas number one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

FatherTed wrote: »
    3. There are a lot better rebel songs than that one

Not many better than. That tbf for a rebel song about someone who Died on a peaceful protest written anywhere in the world...I seen a lad singing it one night after hours in a hotel which would in all honesty put the hairs standing on the back of you head...not great if not sung well though

• Registered Users Posts: 25,065 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

The only thing more embarrassing than Delaney would be if it's him singing a song that ends up leading to his demise.

After all his other gaffes and fcuk-ups.. it's this that rouses the rabble the most. Hard to know whether to laugh or cry!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭porsche959

Sclosages wrote: »
    I was banned off a website for posting a rebel song. Apparently a lady was traumatised. She was from Belfast. Dreadful stuff. God bless her. Same song is on every jukebox in rural Ireland.

I'd post it here though I'd probably be banned lol...

Ah - feck it - here it is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8s2MSVaXNqQ

If I'm banned - good luck lol

Raise you two.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,774 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

He was crying on the radio today about intrusion. He was actually crying.

I'll give him a tip.

Separate his personal life from his job.

He is a ceo - if he is going for a few drinks or having a bit of a party - don't do this around the time of the internationals. This is the 3rd or 4th time - around the time of internationals he has done this.

He is a ceo - how many ceos - go on The Late Late Show or even The Saturday night show and carry on as if they are a celebrity - he was in the paper a few weeks ago saying he is in love.

John - time to go. You are a fan - not a ceo.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,703 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Oops! wrote: »
    All he's missing is the Lexus.....

The Japanese Mercedes!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,227 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

He is well known for buying the fans beer to win their affections. Its starting to wear thin now with many Ireland fans.
    That's worst part of the whole John Delaney thing. Not him buying pints, but the fact that fans are so idiotic to think he's a "legend" for buying drinks. Jesus wept, a pint in Poland costs about €2, are they actually bought that cheaply?
    He was crying on the radio today about intrusion. He was actually crying.

I heard the clip. Surely you now that John Delaney is the victim in all this. Anyone who apologises by saying "if you were offended, I am sorry" is an ársehole.

And not only that, he wants the forum "YBIG" shut down!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement