Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

John Delaney rebel song

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Rebel songs are abhorrent, as is the singing of them.
    I remember back in the 80's when there wasn't as many moany fcukers about and rebel songs were great drinking songs :)

The good old days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

Brits out & all that.
    Delaney out. And the Brits if you want, who gives a ****. Delaney first though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

drumswan wrote: »
    Delaney out. And the Brits if you want, who gives a ****. Delaney first though

Dunno, I'm not into soccer. I hate it in fact, f*cking hate it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 806 ✭✭✭getzls

Sam Kade wrote: »
    I remember back in the 80's when there wasn't as many moany fcukers about and rebel songs were great drinking songs :)

The good old days.

Of course there are more songs about the rebels as so many killed themselves during the '80's.

This we should sing songs of thanks for.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭Busted Flat.

getzls wrote: »
    Of course there are more songs about the rebels as so many killed themselves during the '80's.

This we should sing songs of thanks for.

It is great to see ??????? adult comments.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭Mr_Spaceman

So let's say for a moment that Delaney's counterpart in Northern Ireland was caught singing a song in a pub praising a loyalist terrorist.

He'd be slung out on his arse in a nano-second. And quite rightly so.

Delaney does it however - and, for some, it's just a bit of craic.

Personally, I think he's simply a babbling idiot and shouldn't lose his job, but the stench of double standards is rather self-evident.

It is great to see ??????? adult comments.

Ah! You can see the difference?
    I make a light hearted and ok, tasteless post and you jump on it.

But posters can see no wrong it the praising of the IRA who murdered thousands?

Strange old world eh?

No wonder us Bastards would sooner die than be part of an U.I.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

To be fair to the IRA, at least they ****ed off. Which leaves them one up on Delaney

Ah! You can see the difference?
    I make a light hearted and ok, tasteless post and you jump on it.

Strange old world eh?

No wonder us Bastards would sooner die than be part of an U.I.

The war is over a long time ago. Move on.

The war is over a long time ago. Move on.

The battles are over, the war isn't.

• Advertisement

These things take time and depend's on decent people with cool heads to move it to a final conclusion.

Maybe you could elaborate on that post a bit.

As a moderator on this forum or as a private poster.

• Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭bernardo mac

Delaney seems to be as thick,cunning and ungrammatical as Bertie Ahern.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Cpt Sh!t Craic

getzls wrote:

Steady yourself a little there pal...

The IRA were responsible for 723 civilian deaths during the 30 years of the troubles.

Anyway, nobody likes John Delaney. Just because he sang a rebel song doesn't mean he's a rebel and doesn't mean he's promoting it. Next thing the media will be asking him if he was in the IRA!

Sometimes I sing Sir Mixalot's song about big butts, but I think they're only okay...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭Crooked Jack

Rebel songs are abhorrent, as is the singing of them.

Appropriate name you have there

Maybe you could elaborate on that post a bit.

As a moderator on this forum or as a private poster.

I'm not a moderator on this forum, why do we have to explain this one all the time.

As for elaborating on battles and wars, it surprises me that I've to explain and elaborate on the difference all the time.

Both the above annoy me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,339 ✭✭✭robbiezero

Cienciano wrote: »
    That's worst part of the whole John Delaney thing. Not him buying pints, but the fact that fans are so idiotic to think he's a "legend" for buying drinks. Jesus wept, a pint in Poland costs about €2, are they actually bought that cheaply?

I heard the clip. Surely you now that John Delaney is the victim in all this. Anyone who apologises by saying "if you were offended, I am sorry" is an ársehole.

And not only that, he wants the forum "YBIG" shut down!

I really wish they would say exactly what they mean in that instance which is "if you were offended, go f**k yourself".

The person who videoed him singing and put it up on youtube is a nasty c**t.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,226 ✭✭✭howiya

So let's say for a moment that Delaney's counterpart in Northern Ireland was caught singing a song in a pub praising a loyalist terrorist.

He'd be slung out on his arse in a nano-second. And quite rightly so.

Delaney does it however - and, for some, it's just a bit of craic.

Personally, I think he's simply a babbling idiot and shouldn't lose his job, but the stench of double standards is rather self-evident.

There is a significant difference. In theory the head of the IFA is supposed to represent both communities in the North so singing either a republican or loyalist song would offend half the population.

Practice would seem to be different as republican/nationalist players are electing to play for Ireland instead of the north

• Registered Users Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

howiya wrote: »
    There is a significant difference. In theory the head of the IFA is supposed to represent both communities in the North

That ideology goes out the window when they persist in playing God Save the Queen as their national anthem and alienating one section of the community.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,372 ✭✭✭LorMal

Shocked by the level of stupidity and vitriol on this thread. Surely it's obvious that Delaney is doing a poor job for an over inflated salary?
    As for those who want to defend his right to sing rebel songs, would you ever kop on? It's entirely inappropriate for the highly paid CEO of a publically funded organisation.
    If you Can't see that, well no argument will persuade the Shinnerbots on here anyway. Still dying for aul Oirlind.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Clown.

This is a guy on a €360,000 per year and is our delegate to FIFA and UEFA where representatives from Northern Ireland, England, Scotland and Wales are present. The last thing someone in his position should be doing is singing contentious songs like this. Especially with the England match coming up next year, we all know what happened the last time they were here and we do not want it happening again.

LorMal wrote: »
    Shocked by the level of stupidity and vitriol on this thread. Surely it's obvious that Delaney is doing a poor job for an over inflated salary?
    As for those who want to defend his right to sing rebel songs, would you ever kop on? It's entirely inappropriate for the highly paid CEO of a publically funded organisation.
    If you Can't see that, well no argument will persuade the Shinnerbots on here anyway. Still dying for aul Oirlind.

Other publicly funded organisations such FG have annual commemorations at Beal na Blath. Perhaps this should be knocked on the head too. Where do you draw the line?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

When high profile people are singing songs in public, praising those that took up arms, is it any wonder there are kids who think it is big and clever to try and continue those battles?

cournioni wrote: »
    Clown.

This is a guy on a €360,000 per year and is our delegate to FIFA and UEFA where representatives from Northern Ireland, England, Scotland and Wales are present. The last thing someone in his position should be doing is singing contentious songs like this. Especially with the England match coming up next year, we all know what happened the last time they were here and we do not want it happening again.

I would very much be against him singing that song at one of those meetings.

When high profile people are singing songs in public, praising those that took up arms, is it any wonder there are kids who think it is big and clever to try and continue those battles?

And Jessica Lovejoy joins the thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,372 ✭✭✭LorMal

howiya wrote: »
    Other publicly funded organisations such FG have annual commemorations at Beal na Blath. Perhaps this should be knocked on the head too. Where do you draw the line?

Thats a lot of horse**** too. I draw the line way way before that!

We've just been through a month of remembering and praising those that took up arms...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

You can see the difference between a FG commemoration and the CEO of a Football association singing in pubs?

Besides it doesn't matter what he was singing, someone in his position shouldn't be in pubs with fans after a game singing anything.

LorMal wrote: »
    Thats a lot of horse**** too. I draw the line way way before that!

So at what point is it acceptable for us to make reference to our history? Maybe post Good Friday Agreement?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

robbiezero wrote: »
    And Jessica Lovejoy joins the thread.

It's ironic though. Sing songs about a man who took up arms, then vilify those that follow suit.

Then again, republican hypocrisy doesn't surprise me any more.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement