Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newstalk - Breakfast Show

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

goochy wrote: »
    that apology came out very quickly - were they forced or did they offer it ? thought newstalk handled it well - i am a huge John Waters fan.
    guy who read it sounded very dull.
    remember Cuddihy studied law so hes bound to be liberal , hes so naive thinking people dont play the system
    the famously liberal legal establishment :rolleyes::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭jeremyj1968

Michael McDowall on to defend the 2004 "Anchor Baby" legislation. Cuddihy could be in for a difficult time here. Cuddihy is more suited to emotive Twitter outrage than he is to logical argument.

~~

• Registered Users Posts: 4,297 ✭✭✭goochy

Mc Dowell well able for Cuddihy , loved it when he said - if there were a referendum again the result would be the same. Cuddihy just wouldnt accept anything he said

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭jay0109

I just listened back to the McDowell interview as only listened in to the show from 8am on.

Yeah, McDowell was able for him- he took it beyond the emotive issue and well for cold facts: how we'd be an anomaly in Western Europe, he mentioned the Zambrano and Chen cases, that it's not just the babies at issue here but also the immediate (and possibly extended) families.

He was also adamant that the Masters of the Maternity hospitals did express concerns to him at the time about late term arrivals. Cuddihy wouldn't have that but McDowell stuck to it. I expect Cuddihy to pull some of those Masters on to the radio in the coming days to back his viewpoint up while ignoring all the issues McDowell made.

I note that from the parts of the show I listened to after 8, there was not a single reference to that interview made. Or a single message read out from listeners. That , to me, tells it's own story

• Registered Users Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

Prior to the 2004 referendum maternity hospitals recorded 82% of births were by migrants. Those were anchor babies pure and simple, and that is not how you run an immigration policy. The decision of that referendum put Ireland in line with every other country in the EU.

Cuddihy would have been a student at the time, so he obviously hasn't moved on from the type naive politics many people have at that age.
    He's not really fit to host a discussion of any real importance. It doesn't say much for the calibre of other candidates for the job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,415 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Prior to the 2004 referendum maternity hospitals recorded 82% of births were by migrants. Those were anchor babies pure and simple, and that is not how you run an immigration policy. The decision of that referendum put Ireland in line with every other country in the EU.

Cuddihy would have been a student at the time, so he obviously hasn't moved on from the type naive politics many people have at that age.
    He's not really fit to host a discussion of any real importance. It doesn't say much for the calibre of other candidates for the job.

82% of births by migrants?

Stay off the LSD son.

I believe there was definitely a high % of emmigrant babies being born in 2004 as there is now, but 82%! You need to double check that one

• Registered Users Posts: 20,415 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

jay0109 wrote: »
    I believe there was definitely a high % of emmigrant babies being born in 2004 as there is now, but 82%! You need to double check that one

Migrants he reackoned. Immigrants can live here anyway if they wish.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

kneemos wrote: »
    Migrants he reackoned. Immigrants can live here anyway if they wish.

Migrants - people moving somewhere
    Immigrants - people moving into the country
    Emigrants - people leaving the country to live somewhere else

Illigal or legal Immigrants into Ireland and emigrants out of Ireland are all migrants. I'm pretty sure all categories together didn't reach 84%. If 84% is actual number for something I would say it's for birth rate of non migrant population.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭delaad

I just listened back to the McDowell interview as only listened in to the show from 8am on.

Yeah, McDowell was able for him- he took it beyond the emotive issue and well for cold facts: how we'd be an anomaly in Western Europe, he mentioned the Zambrano and Chen cases, that it's not just the babies at issue here but also the immediate (and possibly extended) families.

He was also adamant that the Masters of the Maternity hospitals did express concerns to him at the time about late term arrivals. Cuddihy wouldn't have that but McDowell stuck to it. I expect Cuddihy to pull some of those Masters on to the radio in the coming days to back his viewpoint up while ignoring all the issues McDowell made.

I note that from the parts of the show I listened to after 8, there was not a single reference to that interview made. Or a single message read out from listeners. That , to me, tells it's own story

There was a doubt?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,227 ✭✭✭Azatadine

Cuddihy couldn't wait to get rid of him. It was actually quite funny. His simplistic viewpoints were shot and burned to the ground by McDowell.

I switched over this morning around 8.40 when RTE started talking rugby to hear a piece about social housing in Kenmare. Cuddihy was interviewing an FG Councillor who was highlighting a social housing development where 4 houses couldn't find any takers. No one wanted them....brand new, A3 rated, all the trimmings and a 'good view' according to the Councillor.

Cuddihy managed to turn the conversation away from people turning down social housing into a pop at County Councils and the way they manage housing lists. Cuddihy believes that the Councils should keep their housing lists more up to date and build accomm accordingly that suits i.e. the Council should chase those on the list regularly to see if they are still single/in a relationship/had new babies etc.
    Not that the people in question should update their own details with the Councils!. No, the Councils should go around chasing after them for the info!

cuddihy wants a spa day for his brothers stag do - thats all you need to know about the man- these fe- males are ruining it for the rest of us men.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

I switched over this morning around 8.40 when RTE started talking rugby to hear a piece about social housing in Kenmare. Cuddihy was interviewing an FG Councillor who was highlighting a social housing development where 4 houses couldn't find any takers. No one wanted them....brand new, A3 rated, all the trimmings and a 'good view' according to the Councillor.

Cuddihy managed to turn the conversation away from people turning down social housing into a pop at County Councils and the way they manage housing lists. Cuddihy believes that the Councils should keep their housing lists more up to date and build accomm accordingly that suits i.e. the Council should chase those on the list regularly to see if they are still single/in a relationship/had new babies etc.
    Not that the people in question should update their own details with the Councils!. No, the Councils should go around chasing after them for the info!

They’d want to be quick chasing some of the applicants, as within a year some will require a different house with another bedroom, and then another one a year later etc

They’d want to be quick chasing some of the applicants, as within a year some will require a different house with another bedroom, and then another one a year later etc

That's exactly what I was thinking. Boyfriends coming and going, not being admitted to etc.
    But Cuddihy would be a big nanny State man as are all Liberals. The State should provide for every whim and fancy. We should continue to treat adults as infants and hand feed them money,info,help etc at every turn

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭Uncharted

cuddihy wants a spa day for his brothers stag do - thats all you need to know about the man- these fe- males are ruining it for the rest of us men.

Couldn't believe my ears when I heard that.
    Can you imagine suggesting a spa weekend for a stag !!?? Wtf!

Cuddihy is such a PC try-hard.

Uncharted wrote: »
    Couldn't believe my ears when I heard that.
    Can you imagine suggesting a spa weekend for a stag !!?? Wtf!

Cuddihy is such a PC try-hard.

After their treatments they're going to watch all of the "Sex & The City" movies interspersed with the new Gillette ad whilst sipping Prosecco before going to bed listening to podcasts of Ciara Kelly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭Uncharted

After their treatments they're going to watch all of the "Sex & The City" movies interspersed with the new Gillette ad whilst sipping Prosecco before going to bed listening to podcasts of Ciara Kelly.

All tucked up in bed by half 7 though to sleep off the heavy effects of the 2 glasses of prosecco.

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭EAFC_rdfl

Uncharted wrote: »
    All tucked up in bed by half 7 though to sleep off the heavy effects of the 2 glasses of prosecco.

:pac:

you're not wrong, and all that good stuff!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭i71jskz5xu42pb

I don't get how Cuddihy wanting to go to a spa on a stag is ruining anything for you?

It's my idea of hell on earth but do what makes you happy, as long as it does not impinge on my life why would I care?

Are we at the stage now that we have to judge people if they don't enjoy the things traditionally associated with their gender?

• Advertisement

This was the apology that was put out yesterday.

Dw-mBl6W0AAF_V-.jpg

cuddihy wants a spa day for his brothers stag do -

You can just picture Cuddihy lying back in his Sex And The City towel, preaching to his liberal lady friends, being pampered with massage oil and having his b*lls shaved with a Gillette razor .. assuming they can find them.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,140 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Yeah because commenting on boards radio threads is so manly...

Yeah because commenting on boards radio threads is so manly...

Whoops, sorry I forgot only women can comment on boards now. :confused: :rolleyes:

#MenToo

I was wondering why Gemma O'Doherty hadn't done a stream this week (and commented on the situation with Newstalk allowing people to call her and John Waters racists). But it seems that her channel has been frozen because somebody connected to Mary Boyle has reported her to YouTube over the use of the picture of Mary Boyle in the poster on her wall. They really don't want the truth about Mary Boyle to come out. It really is shameful that Fianna Fail are not being pursued by the media about this.

I was wondering why Gemma O'Doherty hadn't done a stream this week (and commented on the situation with Newstalk allowing people to call her and John Waters racists). But it seems that her channel has been frozen because somebody connected to Mary Boyle has reported her to YouTube over the use of the picture of Mary Boyle in the poster on her wall. They really don't want the truth about Mary Boyle to come out. It really is shameful that Fianna Fail are not being pursued by the media about this.

Oooh. Interesting.

Cuddihy and Quinny doing #SportzBantz again this morning is comedy gold. One as clueless as the other.

Cuddihy - "There are cases when it is legitimate to object where housing is built".

So in a Newstalk speak that would mean,
    a) when you object to 100 people from many different countries with no vetting landed in the only hotel in your community you are racist, and
    b) when you are Pat Kenny and you object to some much needed housing for families being built beside you then that is a valid objection.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

Hear the full "you couldn't make it up" podcast at Newstalk.com.

Dear God no. why? the eh.. jokes(?) are non existent, and the forced laughter is terrible. why the hell would i put myself through that??
    if you want to trick people in to listening to it, don't use clips from the show, especially if they're the best clips.

• Advertisement

the host Pat O Mahony was on 1st dates lately , did terrible - think he must have asbergers or something ?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement