Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newstalk - Breakfast Show

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭jay0109

Well, in this era of snowflakes and being uber PC, to call the North a 'foreign country' would have the potential to upset up to 800k people who consider themselves to be from the same country as Cuddihy.
    I'm not into apologising for saying what you think but I can see why some people found that comment offensive and had a go at him about it

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 670 ✭✭✭sightband

jay0109 wrote: »
    Well, in this era of snowflakes and being uber PC, to call the North a 'foreign country' would have the potential to upset up to 800k people who consider themselves to be from the same country as Cuddihy.
    I'm not into apologising for saying what you think but I can see why some people found that comment offensive and had a go at him about it

I don't find it offensive, I find it idiotic and narrow-minded. The north is nothing more than basket case of a situation, a freak show of scumbags dictating a tiny patch of land. Re-unification is inevitable, it doesn't really matter what side of the fence you stand on, it will happen, maybe not in my lifetime but it will happen and will be reflected on in the history books in astonishment as to how daft a concoction that the agreement was. I feel Cuddihy has had the cattle prod from the head redactors, g'won say something to get people talking about this sh*t heap of a show again.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 217 ✭✭Cockford Ollie

"I should have realised that many people are incapable of dealing with "other" opinions anymore"

This coming from the guy who regularly loses the run of himself on air, frothing at the mouth at the idea of people having an opinion contrary to his own agenda.

"I should have realised that many people are incapable of dealing with "other" opinions anymore"

This coming from the guy who regularly loses the run of himself on air, frothing at the mouth at the idea of people having an opinion contrary to his own agenda.
    Exactly this. I remember 1 particular rant h came out with when covering for Ciara Kelly about the Chinese lad in Wicklow being deported. He was hyper that day and it was his opinion or shut the f up

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Exactly this. I remember 1 particular rant h came out with when covering for Ciara Kelly about the Chinese lad in Wicklow being deported. He was hyper that day and it was his opinion or shut the f up

Yeah that was brilliant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,912 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

So we arent allowed make statements of facts now? NI is another country, people wishing it were not or "believing" it isn't doesn't change that simple immutable fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

VinLieger wrote: »
    So we arent allowed make statements of facts now? NI is another country, people wishing it were not or "believing" it isn't doesn't change that simple immutable fact.

Did he not read them? Not being allowed is not the same to being ridiculed. Newstalk are going for opinionated hosts and he gave his opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Listened to the sports segment this morning at 7:30 and last Monday at the same time to hear how badly "Quinny" would balls it up and quelle surprise, he outdid himself on both occasions. He must do absolutely zero prep for these short segments and still mumbles and fumbles his way through them. He is just embarrassing. Coleman has to hold his hand to keep us from dead air and it's in marked contrast to all the other sports bulletins on Newstalk where the sports caster just reads the news - in this it's "Quinny" and Coleman having a pub like chat about sports when only one party at any time has a clue what the other is talking about. How in God's name is he still in this job?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Squall Leonhart

Listened to the sports segment this morning at 7:30 and last Monday at the same time to hear how badly "Quinny" would balls it up and quelle surprise, he outdid himself on both occasions. He must do absolutely zero prep for these short segments and still mumbles and fumbles his way through them. He is just embarrassing. Coleman has to hold his hand to keep us from dead air and it's in marked contrast to all the other sports bulletins on Newstalk where the sports caster just reads the news - in this it's "Quinny" and Coleman having a pub like chat about sports when only one party at any time has a clue what the other is talking about. How in God's name is he still in this job?

Have wondered this myself on many an occasion. He is not suited to the airwaves. I'd honestly do better myself I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭HazelBee

I’m enjoying the breakfast show again since Paul Williams left, but still find the ‘Quinny’ segments so cringeworthy. You’re almost willing the next word out of him so he’ll get it over and done with. The icing on the cake for me was when he referred to Ada Hegerberg’s award win as “her little moment” while discussing the actions of the DJ at the event. 🙄

• Advertisement

Anyone hear the segment on the Strokestown affair with David Hall after 8am? Hall basically ripped Cuddihy to shreds so much that Cuddihy just went quiet an let Hall rant away. And ranting is what Hall does best

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭Scott Tenorman

Quinlan had some brass neck crying about eye gouging today :eek::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

Anyone hear the segment on the Strokestown affair with David Hall after 8am? Hall basically ripped Cuddihy to shreds so much that Cuddihy just went quiet an let Hall rant away. And ranting is what Hall does best

I thought Cuddihy did quite well. There was no talking to the guy Hall. Cuddihy pushed and pushed but the lad refused to respond to what I think were very fair questions.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 670 ✭✭✭sightband

Quinlan had some brass neck crying about eye gouging today :eek::pac:

Hang on, did he sound interesting?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭Uncharted

This breakfast show presenter line up is truly woeful. Zero charisma or zing to the whole set up. Dull and boring delivery from both Cuddihy and his alter ego Coleman. They both sound tired and bored. They're like 2 sides of the same mundane,dull,boring coin.

The whole thing is so..... magnolia. Uggh. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭redbuck

Uncharted wrote: »
    This breakfast show presenter line up is truly woeful. Zero charisma or zing to the whole set up. Dull and boring delivery from both Cuddihy and his alter ego Coleman. They both sound tired and bored. They're like 2 sides of the same mundane,dull,boring coin.

The whole thing is so..... magnolia. Uggh. :(

Ah be fair it's a hell of a lot better than when Williams was on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,231 ✭✭✭Azatadine

It's just awful. It's like two guys having a cup of tea and a chat. It's awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭Icemancometh

redbuck wrote: »
    Ah be fair it's a hell of a lot better than when Williams was on.

Dead air would be better than Williams. I think Cuddihy and Williams are a bit too similar in outlook and temperment, yin and yin doesn't work.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭jeremyj1968

Azatadine wrote: »
    It's just awful. It's like two guys having a cup of tea and a chat. It's awful.

When Oliver Callan did that sketch "Liberal Ladies" I think it was this show that he was parodying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭ouxbbkqtswdfaw

And the two of them lecturing us non stop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭jeremyj1968

I can't see people indulging Ciaran Cuddihy for a long period of time. It's like you got all the worst elements of Chris Donoghue and Jonathan Healy and merged them together.

I can see Shane Coleman leaving for a political job similar to what Chris Donoghue got. I'd say Coleman always thinks to himself that he has that sort of thing to fall back on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,231 ✭✭✭Azatadine

The inane crap talk they have is atrocious. Counting down how many sleeps left till Christmas day this morning....

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭Scott Tenorman

I can't see people indulging Ciaran Cuddihy for a long period of time. It's like you got all the worst elements of Chris Donoghue and Jonathan Healy and merged them together.

I can see Shane Coleman leaving for a political job similar to what Chris Donoghue got. I'd say Coleman always thinks to himself that he has that sort of thing to fall back on.
    You would have to drag Coleman out of there, in his head the world NEEDS to know his opinions on absolutely everything

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭El Diablo Blanco

Ordinarily, I really don't care for Shane Coleman (finding him to be a self righteous boyscout) but credit where it's due: he absolutely decimated the rep for the Psychiatric Nurses Association this morning. He had his facts and figures prepared, and had the guy on the back foot the whole time, justifiably questioning why they weren't satisfied with the current public sector agreement.

Without going into a public/private sector debate, a lot of these pay claims generally go unchallenged by the media, so full marks to Coleman for asking the difficult questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,782 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Ordinarily, I really don't care for Shane Coleman (finding him to be a self righteous boyscout) but credit where it's due: he absolutely decimated the rep for the Psychiatric Nurses Association this morning. He had his facts and figures prepared, and had the guy on the back foot the whole time, justifiably questioning why they weren't satisfied with the current public sector agreement.

Without going into a public/private sector debate, a lot of these pay claims generally go unchallenged by the media, so full marks to Coleman for asking the difficult questions.

What a fcuking joke. Listened to Coleman and Charlie Flanagan re Roosky Hotel and not one question did he ask him except for 2 blase comments re hypocrisy and racism.
    Nothing else, nada, not even the question his own reporter, Barry White asked him to ask ie how are places like Roosky, Moville, Wicklow selected.

So full marks to Coleman for toeing the party line and evading the topic.

Whatever about Coleman on Roosky, Cuddihy was in meltdown. Sounded like he was frothing at the mouth.

NT had a reporter on site last night and he played some vox pops he got from locals about the fire. They made bland enough statements, broadly against the arsonists but with a bit of 'why was Roosky chosen in the first place' thrown in. Back to Cuddihy in the studio who was snarling at the comments he'd just heard. Screw the listeners, it's all about me

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭Uncharted

Cuddihy is just woefully pious on all things "new Ireland" related. Constantly ramming his biased opinion down the listeners throats.

It wouldn't be so bad if there was alternative viewpoints from his co-host,but Coleman is equally grating. Coleman's simpering tone, along with his choirboy persona just make the show unbearable at times.

Cuddihy just seems patheticly desperate to appear 'woke'.

Woeful set up for breakfast radio.

Uncharted wrote: »
    Cuddihy is just woefully pious on all things "new Ireland" related. Constantly ramming his biased opinion down the listeners throats.

It wouldn't be so bad if there was alternative viewpoints from his co-host,but Coleman is equally grating. Coleman's simpering tone, along with his choirboy persona just make the show unbearable at times.

Cuddihy just seems patheticly desperate to appear 'woke'.

Woeful set up for breakfast radio.

what is "woke"? seeing this word everywhere lately :confused::confused::confused:

what is "woke"? seeing this word everywhere lately :confused::confused::confused:

Woke is a political term that refers to a perceived awareness of issues concerning social justice and racial justice.

I think the key word there is "perceived". ;)

It's very trendy to be woke right now - Ciara Kelly told me this. :pac:

• Advertisement

Azatadine wrote: »
    The inane crap talk they have is atrocious. Counting down how many sleeps left till Christmas day this morning....

When I read this I actually thought they'd started early this year......

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement