Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newstalk - Breakfast Show

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭Icemancometh

goochy wrote: »
    well he was more bearable than the PC brigade on rest of station

No he wasn't. Let's not get revisionist here, Williams was a terrible radio presenter.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

No he wasn't. Let's not get revisionist here, Williams was a terrible radio presenter.

+1
    He was absolutely appalling, by some distance the worst presenter ever on the station. I'm no fan of the PC snowflake style of broadcasting, but Williams was a different kind of awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

A potted plant would do a better job than Williams, completely unsuited for live radio - no personality or charisma.

Breakfast on NT went to the dogs years ago with Yates constantly taking the piss out of Donoghue.

Keyzer wrote: »

Breakfast on NT went to the dogs years ago with Yates constantly taking the piss out of Donoghue.
    I started tuning into NT when Pat Kenny moved there, and pretty soon Chris and Ivan were my favourite morning radio. I would suggest that period was the zenith of Newstalk Breakfast, and I'm pretty confident that the JNLR figures would show that it was more popular than anything which preceded it.

Ivan taking the piss out of Chris went down wonderfully with my morning coffee, hashtag nostalgia.

I started tuning into NT when Pat Kenny moved there, and pretty soon Chris and Ivan were my favourite morning radio. I would suggest that period was the zenith of Newstalk Breakfast, and I'm pretty confident that the JNLR figures would show that it was more popular than anything which preceded it.

Ivan taking the piss out of Chris went down wonderfully with my morning coffee, hashtag nostalgia.

I listened from Day 1, in fact I can still remember the pitch to advertisers via my ad agency before they launched. The promise was good, I'd argue they haven't delivered on the original remit.

I'd suggest Dunphy was the best Breakfast host, even if he didn't have the best numbers. I didn't think David McWilliams was atrocious, didn't mind Ivan and Chris at first but Ivan's shtick and lack of preparedness wore thin towards the end. Gilroy and Claire Byrne were awful - largely due to the differing skill levels of the hosts and their lack of chemistry; but the Williams/Coleman/Quinny and Williams/Cuddhy/Quinny triumvirates are the worst. Actually throw Casey in there too - she was brutal.

A guilty pleasure now however is #SportzBantz, the pseudo sports report (it's not a sports report, it's a chat) Quinny has his hand held through, but I'll only listen to that for sh*ts and giggles and then immediately switch back to whatever podcast I'm listening to at that hour. And that's only on days I remember it's on. I mostly avoid it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

goochy wrote: »
    to know what happened with Williams - assume he couldnt stand Coleman any longer - hes not the first. Didnt like Williams until he joined newstalk - at least hes not PC.

Williams is a nasty piece of work. Ask Maurice McCabe.
    Liking him would say a lot about someone in my opinion, none of it good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭Ahwell

I would suggest that period was the zenith of Newstalk Breakfast, and I'm pretty confident that the JNLR figures would show that it was more popular than anything which preceded it.

Yep, when Ivan took over the breakfast show from Claire Byrne and Ger Gilroy it had a audience of 65,000, when he left it was around 175,000. Then Williams & Co. quickly lost about 50,000 of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 relow2

Ahwell wrote: »
    Yep, when Ivan took over the breakfast show from Claire Byrne and Ger Gilroy it had a audience of 65,000, when he left it was around 175,000. Then Williams & Co. quickly lost about 50,000 of them.

That's not an entirely fair comparison. When Williams and Colman started the show lost an hour going from 7-10 to 7-9.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭Ahwell

relow2 wrote: »
    That's not an entirely fair comparison. When Williams and Colman started the show lost an hour going from 7-10 to 7-9.

That's a fair point, but would it really make that much of a difference? It is a average figures, the average ¼ hour audience.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

Anyone else hear Lorraine Courtney on this morning arguing that USC should be abolished for under 40s? My God, talk about poorly prepared, poorly argued and self entitled.

Coleman had her on the ropes with a couple of soft basic questions like who picks up the tab. “I don’t know but someone else needs to. Maybe the older generation because they caused the recession and my generation didn’t.”

She was absolutely clueless and it was cringeworthy. I wasn’t paying attention to her being introduced so genuinely thought she was some randomer plucked off the streets. I was stunned to find out she’s a columnist paid by one of our most widely read newspapers for her ill informed opinions.

Probably a sign of how far the Indo has fallen since it was actually a newspaper.

• Advertisement

DeanAustin wrote: »
    Anyone else hear Lorraine Courtney on this morning arguing that USC should be abolished for under 40s? My God, talk about poorly prepared, poorly argued and self entitled.

Coleman had her on the ropes with a couple of soft basic questions like who picks up the tab. “I don’t know but someone else needs to. Maybe the older generation because they caused the recession and my generation didn’t.”

She was absolutely clueless and it was cringeworthy. I wasn’t paying attention to her being introduced so genuinely thought she was some randomer plucked off the streets. I was stunned to find out she’s a columnist paid by one of our most widely read newspapers for her ill informed opinions.

Probably a sign of how far the Indo has fallen since it was actually a newspaper.

I’ve spotted the source of your problem and highlighted it in bold for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

I’ve spotted the source of your problem and highlighted it in bold for you.

Haha good point but why are two national media outlets giving airtime and column inches to someone who can’t argue their point aside from “somebody else needs to do it”. F**king Homer Simpson logic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭jeremyj1968

What ever about Paul Williams, Cuddihy is an absolute dose. Unfortunately I feel that Cuddihy now considered the de facto standard for a male presenter in Newstalk. Almost apologetic for being a man (like D'Arcy), fully subscribed up to the Newstalk liberal ideals, and if you don't agree with his opinions then you are a racist and he will throw a hissy fit to let you know.

As much as I did not like Williams, I actually never ever switch on the breakfast show while Cuddihy is on it. Well, except for when I made the mistake of hitting the wrong button this morning.

"I accidentally listened to the show" :D

Yeah, I accidentally listen to Liveline most days.

Dont worry man, nothing wrong with guilty pleasures!

DeanAustin wrote: »

you took the words out of my mouth! Appalling interview, I actually thought it was with someone off the street that was asked for an opinion. She was beyond bad, no prep, no answers, "someone else has to pay for it.... they can find the money somewhere else"
    Sounds like she has major chip on her shoulder that life hasn't worked out well despite her brilliant degree and expectations of a" brilliant life"!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

What ever about Paul Williams, Cuddihy is an absolute dose. Unfortunately I feel that Cuddihy now considered the de facto standard for a male presenter in Newstalk. Almost apologetic for being a man (like D'Arcy), fully subscribed up to the Newstalk liberal ideals, and if you don't agree with his opinions then you are a racist and he will throw a hissy fit to let you know.

As much as I did not like Williams, I actually never ever switch on the breakfast show while Cuddihy is on it. Well, except for when I made the mistake of hitting the wrong button this morning.
    'de facto standard for male presenter on Newstalk? Yes you are right Newstalk are the beacon of left wing media. I like Cuddihy, not because I would particularly
    agree with his views but because he has no problem calling out nonsense. I don't know why people think that just because they tweeted or texted somewhere their opinion should be respected. You can imagine people frothing at the mouth every so often listening to him. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

meeeeh wrote: »
    You can imagine people frothing at the mouth every so often listening to him. :D

And him revelling in it when they tweet in.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭Uncharted

Cuddihy channelling his inner G Hook to try rile listeners up was frankly laughable this morning.

A cheap swipe at "middle income" families in an attempt to create a text tsunami was cringe inducing.

His "stats" about ski gear in Aldi etc,and wine consumption were childish at best.

Stick to the junior hurling and the KBC ads.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭jay0109

Ivan Yates just went off on one about what Cuddihy had to say this morning re the 'squeezed middle' actually having it very good right now.

He replayed Cuddihy's piece on how car sales are up, wine sales are up, ski gear is being sold out in Lidl/Aldi - that's all down to the middle classes having more money to spend and enjoying the finer things in life!

Yates actually said that Cuddihy should go and stick it where the sun doesn't shine if he thinks the fact that people are shopping in Lidl is a sign of good times.
    I see a kickback from Cuddihy in the morning ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭Uncharted

jay0109 wrote: »
    Ivan Yates just went off on one about what Cuddihy had to say this morning re the 'squeezed middle' actually having it very good right now.

He replayed Cuddihy's piece on how car sales are up, wine sales are up, ski gear is being sold out in Lidl/Aldi - that's all down to the middle classes having more money to spend and enjoying the finer things in life!

Yates actually said that Cuddihy should go and stick it where the sun doesn't shine if he thinks the fact that people are shopping in Lidl is a sign of good times.

Delighted to hear Yates ( although himself a total hypocrite) putting Ciddihy straight.

Panto stuff really, but "Cuds" might rise to the bait in the morning.

• Advertisement

It's not a kickback -- it's a case of Newstalk presnters playing off of one another, in a co-ordinated way

It's as sad and desperate as when broadcasters interview other broadcasters from that station.

Lazy radio.

It's not a kickback -- it's a co-ordinated case of Newstalk presnters playing off of one another.

It's as sad and desperate as when broadcasters interview other broadcasters from that station.

Lazy radio.

As the man says "I know that", hence the ;) in my post.

But even as these set-ups go, Yates went in hard there

As the man says "I know that", hence the ;) in my post.

But even as these set-ups go, Yates went in hard there
    That's his job. His job to 'create content' that opposes the typical centrist or left-wing outlook.

Honestly, the idea that anyone thinks Yates is some kind of vanguard for the centre-right, 'telling it like it is', is bewildering/ depressing/ amusing.

Anyone want to buy some magic beans?

That's his job. His job to 'create content' that opposes the typical centrist or left-wing outlook.

Honestly, the idea that anyone thinks Yates is some kind of vanguard for the centre-right, 'telling it like it is', is bewildering/ depressing/ amusing

I don't think anyone said that? Certainly not me.

After his holiday in Sth Wales and the fat pension he's been getting for 20 years at this stage and him still not 60, I doubt too many consider him a man of the people

I don't think anyone said that? Certainly not me.

After his holiday in Sth Wales and the fat pension he's been getting for 20 years at this stage and him still not 60, I doubt too many consider him a man of the people
    But you do think that Yates has championed your own personal outlook? Right?

But you do think that Yates has championed your own personal outlook? Right?

Whatever you want to believe, well go with that :rolleyes:

Whatever you want to believe, well go with that :rolleyes:

But would it be fair to say that Yates - a self-admitted tax avoider and strategic defaulter - has articulated your own views towards the so-called 'squeezed middle'?

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Dr_serious2

you took the words out of my mouth! Appalling interview, I actually thought it was with someone off the street that was asked for an opinion. She was beyond bad, no prep, no answers, "someone else has to pay for it.... they can find the money somewhere else"
    Sounds like she has major chip on her shoulder that life hasn't worked out well despite her brilliant degree and expectations of a" brilliant life"!!

Is this the same woman who wrote an article blaming other people for the fact that she lost her Kerry accent?

Is this the same woman who wrote an article blaming other people for the fact that she lost her Kerry accent?

^ Though I know it’s most likely not, I hope the above is a joke.

On a related theme, the lady I know with the most D4 accent I know of is from........Tarbert in north Kerry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,160 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

^ Though I know it’s most likely not, I hope the above is a joke.

On a related theme, the lady I know with the most D4 accent I know of is from........Tarbert in north Kerry.

You’ve obviously never listened to Sally Hayden, Butthers.

Neauw there’s a D4 occent for you.

Tut tut.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement