Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newstalk - Breakfast Show

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,781 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Ha ha. Coleman got his ass handed to him by that nurses rep just now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭jay0109

Fann Linn wrote: »

I didn't think that. He actually got her in a bind over the level of pay rise they are actually after...she just sounded stupid saying they weren't looking for 12% but wanted parity with other health professionals instead

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Squall Leonhart

Fann Linn wrote: »

Hmm... you were listening to a different interview than I was. A woman with a point to make and she was going to make it, regardless of what questions she was asked.
    jay0109 wrote: »
    I didn't think that. He actually got her in a bind over the level of pay rise they are actually after...she just sounded stupid saying they weren't looking for 12% but wanted parity with other health professionals instead

Yeah I agree, it must be frustrating trying to interview a person like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭corner back 2

Hmm... you were listening to a different interview than I was. A woman with a point to make and she was going to make it, regardless of what questions she was asked.

Yeah I agree, it must be frustrating trying to interview a person like that.

Must be frustrating for Coleman to interview people who don't tow the FG /@campaignforleo line all the time like him. As a long time Newstalk listener I had hoped Cuddihy would provide some counterbalance but the show is fast turning into a Fox news like production.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Must be frustrating for Coleman to interview people who don't tow the FG /@campaignforleo line all the time like him. As a long time Newstalk listener I had hoped Cuddihy would provide some counterbalance but the show is fast turning into a Fox news like production.

Jesus some people are very dramatic aren't they?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

No just a criticism of a show I have listened to for a long time. Am I not allowed to criticise?

With your reference to Fox news, are you suggesting Cuddihy is right wing?

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

No just a criticism of a show I have listened to for a long time. Am I not allowed to criticise?

Your comparison to Fox News is a dramatisation that's not even accurate, not a criticism.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Has Coleman switched from FF then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭tototoe

The "banter" between the two of them is worse than anything that has gone before in that slot....even when Williams was there. And tbf to cornerback2, neither of them can hide their bias on any topic. Shane Coleman listing what he wants all the time is hard on the ears. No-one cares what you want Shane....your wants are irrelevant. Their kids jokes bit this morning was woeful. Its not light hearted banter, it is just sh!t radio.

The options at this time of the morning are very limited, but this is gone to complete pot altogether.

tototoe wrote: »
    The "banter" between the two of them is worse than anything that has gone before in that slot....even when Williams was there. And tbf to cornerback2, neither of them can hide their bias on any topic. Shane Coleman listing what he wants all the time is hard on the ears. No-one cares what you want Shane....your wants are irrelevant. Their kids jokes bit this morning was woeful. Its not light hearted banter, it is just sh!t radio.

The options at this time of the morning are very limited, but this is gone to complete pot altogether.

Quinny will likely be in tomorrow for #SportzBantz. It’s bad with Coleman, but even worse with Cuddihy. Worth a listen for the comedy value.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,741 ✭✭✭withless

The way they say "Look, ..." before making an attempt at making a point always makes me smile.

Go back to hassling the linesman at an u14 match you rubes/communications experts.

tototoe wrote: »

I agree, in Ireland anyway. I switch to BBC 4 usually or just music. Most of the offering in Ireland is fairly low brow and very insular.

So I'm not allowed to question the independence of the presenters. No drama here only commenting on what I hear. Are the FG shills on here as well as the politics forum? 😉😉😉

Calm down there Don Quixote :)

You can question what you but like. However you're rationale that the likes of Cuddihy is comparable to the type commentary you would find on Fox News is way off.
    He's as light weight pinko as they come. Coleman less so but flakey nonetheless.

Never said that about Cuddihy. What I said was I hoped he would provide a counterbalance to Coleman who clearly is devoted to all things Leo. Wow this is some forum being called "dramatic" and Don Quixote for having an opinion. Apologies for having a contrary opinion won't do it again. Promise to listen and not question what I'm hearing any more.
    Most commentators here, myself included, are very critical of the pair of them, so I'm not quite sure of where you're coming from. I actually rarely listen to the show.
    You seem determined to see yourself as some kind of truth sayer, railing against a cosy consensus.
    You're not.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,415 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Most commentators here, myself included, are very critical of the pair of them, so I'm not quite sure of where you're coming from. I actually rarely listen to the show.
    You seem determined to see yourself as some kind of truth sayer, railing against a cosy consensus.
    You're not.

Everybody in the radio forum is critical about everything.
    As far as I can see.

Cuddihy is on the Ciara Kelly Show now discussing the British Politicians attitudes towards Ireland around Brexit.

It says a lot when Kelly is really showing him up and knocking back all his points with ease!

edit: Kelly has called him 'The official snowflake of Newstalk':)

withless wrote: »
    The way they say "Look, ..." before making an attempt at making a point always makes me smile.

Go back to hassling the linesman at an u14 match you rubes/communications experts.

When they’re trying to wrap up an interview and the person on the other end of the line keeps talking and you get “ok....ok....ok.....ok.....ok.....ok....ok.....ok....ok.....ok....ok...” before Coleman or Cuddihy can wrap it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Imhof Tank

withless wrote: »

Yes! That's hilarious, like look, stop what you're doing, I'm about to make an important point here people: rolleyes:

Another thing with Shane Colman is this nervous stutter when he is putting a challenging question to a guest. Seems to be an involuntary thing when trying to avoid confrontation. His main man Bertie used to do it a lot as well.

Yet another thing is when they have a guest on and spend the interview rambling on with their own never ending questions and tangents, then coming to the end they will say "finally, very briefly, what do you say about ..........", and then its usually a complex question that cant be answered with a soundbite.

Anyway, IMO despite all above they are both decent interviewers - just when they go into the opinion pieces they become nothing more than virtue signallers without an original thought or opinion between them. Name any chosen subject under the sun, we all know in advance what the lads' take would be.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭jeremyj1968

“ok....ok....ok.....ok.....ok.....ok....ok.....ok....ok.....ok....ok...” before Coleman or Cuddihy can wrap it up.

Did I ever tell you about the Christmas card I got from Ciara Kelly.

"I.. I.. I.. I..I.. I.. I.. I..I.. I.. I.. I.. am having a happy Christmas (and all that good stuff), but I want to know what you think.

T..T.. T..T.. T.. T.. Thanks.
    (Not a doctor anymore) Ciara"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

Coleman does my head in, hes so far up DOB's hole he is peeking out his mouth.
    This morning having a go at people who bother their arse to protest, his usual thinly veiled jibes at anyone in the Dail with left wing ideals.
    Cannot stand him.

• Advertisement

It was contrived for sure..."You argue X, I'll argue Y". Newstalk do that regularly enough, getting their own Presenters from other shows in on a 'debate' on another show

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭EAFC_rdfl

Did I ever tell you about the Christmas card I got from Ciara Kelly.

"I.. I.. I.. I..I.. I.. I.. I..I.. I.. I.. I.. am having a happy Christmas (and all that good stuff), but I want to know what you think.

T..T.. T..T.. T.. T.. Thanks.
    (Not a doctor anymore) Ciara"

Someone actually text her in about that a week or two ago, about her fake stutter. She acted as though it was a complete surprise to her and that they must have been imagining things. It's so fake and so annoying

#SportzBantz No. 1 this morning with Quinny and Cuddihy was its usual ill-informed nonsense and unintentional comedy.

Cuddihy led the segment - FFS. Despite repeatedly saying the pass for the 3rd England try was forward on Saturday (incorrectly) and having been corrected by all members of the Virgin Media panel Quinny was sticking to his guns and insisting it was forward. :rolleyes: How he can have played the game for as long as he did and not understand such a basic law is frightening. Cuddihy at one stage posited that "if Ronan O'Gara was there this wouldn't have happened". FFS.

Cliches and soundbytes in abundance, as well as no criticism of Munster players who underperformed and made crucial mistakes (Earls in particular) as usual.

When they talked Premiership Soccerball, he (Quinny) just rattled off the scores and had a dig at Coleman for being an Arsenal supporter; cue Coleman coming in and discussing it very briefly. So all 3 of them were now doing #SportzBantz, and not one intelligent comment or insight between them.

#SportzBantz No. 2 was with Coleman, who also led the segment was a cacophony of cliches again. And again they insisted it was a forward pass - it wasn't. Multiple times. The soccer

If anyone is doubting me (or the main panel) on the forward pass:

It's like very bad pub talk.

The whole show is like pub talk including the inane topic of the day. I only caught one from last week which was about Toast and how people likes theirs done! Coleman accused Cuddihy of eating warm bread rather than toast. And this engendered much mirth over the morning

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

#SportzBantz No. 1 this morning with Quinny and Cuddihy was its usual ill-informed nonsense and unintentional comedy.

Cuddihy led the segment - FFS. Despite repeatedly saying the pass for the 3rd England try was forward on Saturday (incorrectly) and having been corrected by all members of the Virgin Media panel Quinny was sticking to his guns and insisting it was forward. :rolleyes: How he can have played the game for as long as he did and not understand such a basic law is frightening. Cuddihy at one stage posited that "if Ronan O'Gara was there this wouldn't have happened". FFS.

Cliches and soundbytes in abundance, as well as no criticism of Munster players who underperformed and made crucial mistakes (Earls in particular) as usual.

When they talked Premiership Soccerball, he (Quinny) just rattled off the scores and had a dig at Coleman for being an Arsenal supporter; cue Coleman coming in and discussing it very briefly. So all 3 of them were now doing #SportzBantz, and not one intelligent comment or insight between them.

#SportzBantz No. 2 was with Coleman, who also led the segment was a cacophony of cliches again. And again they insisted it was a forward pass - it wasn't. Multiple times. The soccer

If anyone is doubting me (or the main panel) on the forward pass:

It's like very bad pub talk.

I reckon Cuddihy is the typical Irish rugger fan in that he barely understands the rules and is over the result and into Kielys or wherever rugger types frequent these days, and onto the heino two minutes after the final whistle.

terrydel wrote: »
    I reckon Cuddihy is the typical Irish rugger fan in that he barely understands the rules and is over the result and into Kielys or wherever rugger types frequent these days, and onto the heino two minutes after the final whistle.

Lemon & Duke I believe in de city centre, and The Bath on Bath Avenue are the hotspots these days with the Kool Kidz.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,297 ✭✭✭goochy

L

to know what happened with Williams - assume he couldnt stand Coleman any longer - hes not the first. Didnt like Williams until he joined newstalk - at least hes not PC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭i71jskz5xu42pb

goochy wrote: »
    to know what happened with Williams - assume he couldnt stand Coleman any longer - hes not the first. Didnt like Williams until he joined newstalk - at least hes not PC.

Apparently he was given his marching orders for being a pıss poor presenter.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=108698786

• Advertisement

well he was more bearable than the PC brigade on rest of station

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement