Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newstalk - Breakfast Show

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭tototoe

The two of them were utterly pathetic this morning around the hotel fire. Its worse this show is getting.

Just woeful presenters, both of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,365 ✭✭✭goochy

i just missed something on the show - a woman who organised a rally against racism in Roosky was talking to Andrea and suddenly Andrea said 'we have to distance ourselves from those comments ' and went to a break . what did the woman say exactly ?

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Cuddihy doing #sportsbants :rolleyes: with Quinny is even worse than Coleman doing said #sportsbants with Quinny.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Historybluff

goochy wrote: »
    i just missed something on the show - a woman who organised a rally against racism in Roosky was talking to Andrea and suddenly Andrea said 'we have to distance ourselves from those comments ' and went to a break . what did the woman say exactly ?

She said that John Waters and Gemma O'Doherty were racist in relation to asylum seekers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭jay0109

goochy wrote: »

Less than 30 people attend a protest, most from outside the area, and it gets covered on Newstalk Breakfast and got around 2mins on the 9pm RTE news last night.
    Go figure!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭jeremyj1968

Newstalk covers whatever stories it wants, which ever stories that are in line with their own view of the world.

In other news, Jonathan Healy. I actually hate the man, I hate his smug smugness. I hate all his little cynical asides. Can this guy just not be dropped from the schedule full time. He must be hanging around newstalk with a microphone in his hand, just waiting for somebody to phone in sick.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Woke is a political term that refers to a perceived awareness of issues concerning social justice and racial justice.

I think the key word there is "perceived". ;)

It's very trendy to be woke right now - Ciara Kelly told me this. :pac:

Did she move in beside the Travellers yet?

bear in mind i am a blow in . in Cork - i used to like Jonathan but he has changed lately and not for the better - must be trying to fit in - in newstalk better since hes no longer a regular .

remember like Cuddihy he trained in law .

was never a fan of Williams till he joined newstalk - i would say he couldnt stick Coleman anymore .
    would like Andrea Gilligan on - a good country girl - not pc obsessed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Squall Leonhart

I just looked up Jonathan Healy. Shocked to see him, i assumed he was many years older. Can't fit he voice to the face at all, he appears to be about 43.

Did she move in beside the Travellers yet?

No, she said she would have no problem if a group of Travellers (complete with caravans etc.) moved in beside her. Personally, I'd love if this happened.

• Advertisement

My god that Cuddihy is unbearable. Another Social Justice rant this morning, first about the Chinese kid and then about the 2004 referendum to get rid of the anchor babies. He can f**k right off. I only tuned in to hear the report on the housing development in north dublin after hearing it promoted on the earlier show, but I'm turning off.

My god that Cuddihy is unbearable. Another Social Justice rant this morning, first about the Chinese kid and then about the 2004 referendum to get rid of the anchor babies. He can f**k right off. I only tuned in to hear the report on the housing development in north dublin after hearing it promoted on the earlier show, but I'm turning off.

Even by his own snowflake standards he was pretty bad this morning. Had a little dig at a texter who called him a snowflake too (something along the lines of “man* texts radio station to give out about a snowflake presenter, and I’m the snowflake?”), then went to ads.

*of course it had to be a man, because all women are woke. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭vladmydad

On one of those horrible Newstalk shows today the presenter and some lefty American “journalist “ were actually saying Trump is a Russian spy. Just say that out loud The President of the United States is a Russian spy. Thats the definition of Trump derangement syndrome. Absolutely embarrassing stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,417 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

vladmydad wrote: »
    On one of those horrible Newstalk shows today the presenter and some lefty American “journalist “ were actually saying Trump is a Russian spy. Just say that out loud The President of the United States is a Russian spy. Thats the definition of Trump derangement syndrome. Absolutely embarrassing stuff.

No,they were saying he was investigated by the FBI of being a Russian spy.

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭vladmydad

kneemos wrote: »

No,they were saying he was investigated by the FBI of being a Russian spy.
    And clearly believed it. Mortifying stuff. Do people actually tune into these shows just to be berated by some smug twat. Racist xenophobic blah blah

And clearly believed it. Mortifying stuff. Do people actually tune into these shows just to be berated by some smug twat. Racist xenophobic blah blah

If the FBI have suspicions it's clearly not all that crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Allinall

You obviously did.

Russian spy is probably poor terminology. No doubt they were investigating if he had passed on delicate information.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

This guy Cuddihy has no objectivity. He's as bad as Chris Donoghue ever was. His pious attitude is extraordinary. Gets very annoyed with listeners who disagree with his right on view.

Cuddihy is way out of his depth on current affairs and non-trivial topical matters. I started listening after 8am earlier and caught him mid-rant about the Citizenship referendum of 2004
    "I was one of the 20% who voted no....it was a mistake then and it's a mistake now not to change that result....there was no evidence of Nigerians coming here to have anchor babies....Paul Murphy is right in what he says"

I missed Murphy on the show earlier promoting his bill before the Dail this comign Thursday in which as I understand it, whole generations of extended family members will be entitled to join migrants here who have become citizens. of course Cuddihy supports that too.

He had a British MP on after that discussing Brexit. And it's clear Cuddihy only has a general idea of the facts and arguments around the issues.
    He made a statement about why would any country want to do a deal with the UK post Brexit when they can do a deal with the EU. He said it was 'mind blowing' to think this!!!
    Why wouldn't any country, say Mexico, do a deal with the EU AND with a separate deal the UK. Why wouldn't then???

He gets into such a frenzy about his viewpoint on everything that it then clouds his ability to have a rationale debate or interview.

And whats worse....he's not growing into the role as presenter. He's as amateurish now as he was on day one in the job

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

jay0109 wrote: »
    He gets into such a frenzy about his viewpoint on everything that it then clouds his ability to have a rationale debate or interview.

And whats worse....he's not growing into the role as presenter. He's as amateurish now as he was on day one in the job

I like Cuddihy, not because I agree with everything he says but because provokes responses like this. I can imagine some sensitive souls almost self combusting listening to him.

meeeeh wrote: »
    I like Cuddihy, not because I agree with everything he says but because provokes responses like this. I can imagine some sensitive souls almost self combusting listening to him.

No combusting my side...it's himself that's gone into rant mode and foaming at the mouth, I'm just listening on my leisurely stroll to work!

jay0109 wrote: »
    No combusting my side...it's himself that's gone into rant mode and foaming at the mouth, I'm just listening on my leisurely stroll to work!

I heard the bit about citizenship, he did not sound excited to me at all. However reaction to his comments was. It was so obvious that he was trying to rile people up and was very successful at it.

"He did not sound excited at all" :D

Somebody said to me that there was an apology to Gemma O'Doherty and John Waters as well. Did anybody hear that?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

meeeeh wrote: »
    I heard the bit about citizenship, he did not sound excited to me at all. However reaction to his comments was. It was so obvious that he was trying to rile people up and was very successful at it.

Well then you're either being disingenuous or you're as objective as he is.

that apology came out very quickly - were they forced or did they offer it ? thought newstalk handled it well - i am a huge John Waters fan.
    guy who read it sounded very dull.
    remember Cuddihy studied law so hes bound to be liberal , hes so naive thinking people dont play the system

Considering how quick are Iona Institute to sue I would say the apology was agreed and issued straight away. I can't stand John Walters but you can't just throw insults around because you disagree with someone.

i will even forgive John for going near Sinead O Connor - a god the guy is for men !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,291 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

meeeeh wrote:
    Considering how quick are Iona Institute to sue I would say the apology was agreed and issued straight away. I can't stand John Walters but you can't just throw insults around because you disagree with someone.

Things getting so bad now, you can't even call someone a racist without them getting offended and outraged.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement