Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Craft brew offers

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,706 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

So whats the point of the EU then if customs can sieze delivered alcohol?

EU rules do not cover excise - or VAT if the retailer sells a lot to another country even

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,706 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

kungfual wrote: »
    How do you get notified when they are seized? is there defo no way to pay the duty?

Letter, and absolutely not

• Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭reubenreuben

L1011 wrote: »
    EU rules do not cover excise - or VAT if the retailer sells a lot to another country even

When I buy items from amazon uk, I pay the irish vat rate instead of the uk vat rate. I dont pay any duty though. Thats fair enough.

It should be the same for alcohol too.

When I buy items from amazon uk, I pay the irish vat rate instead of the uk vat rate. I dont pay any duty though. Thats fair enough.

It should be the same for alcohol too.

Excise is treated separately. It's not import duty, which no longer exists within the EU

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Badlib

Tracking info showed that the box landed in Athlone on Monday. Got a letter from customs 4 days later.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭reubenreuben

Badlib wrote: »
    Tracking info showed that the box landed in Athlone on Monday. Got a letter from customs 4 days later.

How much do they charge for excise?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Any chance chat on customs seizures can be moved to another thread? Keep popping in here expecting to see another Drinkstore 24 cans of Modus Hoperandi for €40 type deal.......

• Registered Users Posts: 5,248 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Any chance chat on customs seizures can be moved to another thread? Keep popping in here expecting to see another Drinkstore 24 cans of Modus Hoperandi for €40 type deal.......

Those were the days!

But if it's any use, McHughs have them at 4 for €11...

How much do they charge for excise?

Zero, as you are not legally able to pay it - the product is destroyed.

Payment of excise requires an import licence, which an average punter won't have and costs rather too much to make sense to have.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭hexosan

"""""Destroyed""""""" ������������

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

L1011 wrote: »
    Zero, as you are not legally able to pay it - the product is destroyed.

Yeah destroyed one can at a time on Christmas day I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 binnox

I placed an order early this week and then saw that deliveries had been sized. I mailed BBF and got confirmation today that the order was cancelled and the following reply

"We are not sure what exactly went wrong here, but we believe these parcels were mistakenly seized by the customs. Since both Ireland and Belgium are EU members, there is free trade between both countries for what concerns the B2C market. You already paid VAT and excise duties in another EU member state (Belgium) so we believe the Irish customs should not charge VAT and excise duties again. "

They do not seem to be very aware of the Irish regulations. Hopefully this is useful to anyone else who has an order not yet shipped.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭hexosan

Anyone who got a letter have a contact number for customs. I've tried ringing but get no answer. I wanted to ring them and seek clarification on the matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Badlib

However a separate order of 12 was seized by customs.

Got a refund from Belgian Beer Factory for the bottles that were seized.

Does anyone know of an online Belgian beer company that actually pay the excise duty?
    I could do with ordering some more.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,341 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Got a refund from Belgian Beer Factory for the bottles that were seized.

Does anyone know of an online Belgian beer company that actually pay the excise duty?
    I could do with ordering some more.

My order from Belgian Happiness arrived with no issues but maybe that was down to luck, there's no easy way to find out if they paid the excise duties. Shipping costs are ridiculous with them though, €18 I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭cruhoortwunk

Not dirt cheap but good value for a nice easy session IPA. 4 for €10 in drinkstore.
    Firestone Easy Jack IPA
    http://www.drinkstore.ie/Firestone-Walker-Easy-Jack-IPA-Can-355ML-602755007039/
    http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/firestone-walker-easy-jack/254845/

I see Aldi have started selling Perfect Storm IPA, €2.19 a 500ml bottle.
    http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/williams-brothers-perfect-storm/338357/

Also there's a new O'Shea's ale, called Session Pale Ale, I don't know much about it. It's 4.1%. €1.89 a bottle. Not sure if it's the same as any of the current O'Hara's ones or not

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

I had a bottle of that last weekend. Really really nice beer.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

They are also selling Golden Ratio Golden Ale at €2.19 per 500ml by the same brewer

Also there's a new O'Shea's ale, called Session Pale Ale, I don't know much about it. It's 4.1%. €1.89 a bottle. Not sure if it's the same as any of the current O'Hara's ones or not

Not for sale until May 8th and they'll also be selling an O'Shea's Wheat Beer Belgian Style 4.3% at €1.89 per 500ml from May 8th also

Also have three types of Armagh Craft Cider, Dry, Medium and Sweet, selling now at €2.29 er 500ml

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,986 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

They didn't have it Terenure Aldi this evening, will keep an eye out for it though

• Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

vicwatson wrote: »
    They are also selling Golden Ratio Golden Ale at €2.19 per 500ml by the same brewer

And Ghostship. I've just finished a bottle - really nice citrus notes and a good malty finish. Nicest pale ale I've had in a while.

Now for a Perfect Storm...

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭The Belcher

If anyone is a fan of Ghost Ship and Perfect Storm, Lidl are doing a 6% Irish IPA from The Crafty Brewing Company for 2.49 a bottle(500ml), it is amazing stuff and worth every penny. A great kick off it and the nicest IPA I've had to date especially if someone only wants 1 to 3 beers max at home. It's great stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

As is the Irish pale ale 4.3% 1.89 a crank

• Registered Users Posts: 8,629 ✭✭✭corks finest

stimpson wrote: »
    And Ghostship. I've just finished a bottle - really nice citrus notes and a good malty finish. Nicest pale ale I've had in a while.

Now for a Perfect Storm...

Connoisseur

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭the corpo

If anyone is a fan of Ghost Ship and Perfect Storm, Lidl are doing a 6% Irish IPA from The Crafty Brewing Company for 2.49 a bottle(500ml), it is amazing stuff and worth every penny. A great kick off it and the nicest IPA I've had to date especially if someone only wants 1 to 3 beers max at home. It's great stuff.

Had that Lidl IPA last night, bought on a whim. Surprisingly delicious, very impressed. Think it was only 1.89 though

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭laros

Think it was only 1.89 though

There's 2 different beers - Irish Pale Ale for €1.89 around 4% (purple label)
    and Irish IPA for €2.49 around 6% ( green label) ... both really nice beers and great value.

the corpo wrote: »
    Had that Lidl IPA last night, bought on a whim. Surprisingly delicious, very impressed. Think it was only 1.89 though
    I didnt like any previous ones from Rye River (McGargles, and the own brand ones in lidl and tesco). I had them written off but I must give this ones a go

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭laros

I had them written off but I must give this ones a go

Try the 2 Grafters ones the brew for Dunnes as well, also an IPA and a pale ale.... nice beers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭banchang

Too expensive for a 500ml bottle of beer.

Advertisement