Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Body & Soul - Jun 19-21, 2015

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,463 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

That was an amazing week for me mainly perfect weather, lovely food, sizzling electronica and some good old rock n roll too. The folk going on about the Mothers stage and the Reckless in Love being amazing, yeah sometimes it was, but quite a lot of the time it was generic funk pop hits which is grand for a singalong and to dance too, but not all of the time. The amount of times I heard Funky Town playing in the small woods stages and various times during the same night, throw something different on occasionally as it becomes a cheese fest, it isn't just disco divas in the audience you know. Highlights for me were Leftfield, their new stuff is decent enough and we were lucky to get Inspection with Cheshire Cat too. Clark was pretty intense, Clu, decent pop electronica. Savages for a good ole heads down punk out, Matthew E White a nice chill Sunday evening act. Lamb were decent enough and I caught the end of Tabloman's set too which was pretty lively. I was well impressed with James Holden's set I didn't expect a drummer and saxophonist but it made for a rather exciting synthy rocky sound and a lovely reworking of the Blackpool Late Eighties track. But the main discovery for me was Alo Wala's set which blew me away, double speak rap with a big beats sound she was incredible in that silver dress, I don't know if she was just extremely tall or if she was on stilts but man I was impressed. There is more stuff I will elaborate on when I get my review up and running in the blog.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭beansybeansy

What a weekend!! I am still destroyed but worth every minute of it. Met some amazing people, danced my self senseless and managed to squeeze in a seaweed bath on Sunday afternoon which was much needed!!

It took me 3hour from parking the car at 4pm to getting a spot in the campsite which is ridiculous but we soon forgot that.

Hope Knockanstockan is even half as good

• Registered Users Posts: 13,298 ✭✭✭✭fits

The folk going on about the Mothers stage and the Reckless in Love being amazing, yeah sometimes it was, but quite a lot of the time it was generic funk pop hits which is grand for a singalong and to dance too, but not all of the time.

Id agree with you. I would have liked something with a bit more punch on Saturday night. The early closing and low sound was a major disappointment too. I think it was just too busy so they probably closed on safety grounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭breakfasttime

Had A fantastic weekend. I loved Austra and Songhoy Blues. The only downside is that I'm having those strange post-festival dreams.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭bleg

Too many queues - felt extra crowded compared to last year. Every time I asked the stewards where something was they hadn't a notion.

In spite of these I had a great weekend. Won't be going back unless the crowds are reduced or the arena expanded.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 5,830 ✭✭✭Rfrip

Forgot to mention another highlight panti, hilarious...saw a few kids there at it though and it's so not kid friendly!!
    We seem to all have the same thoughts on the extra volume. They need to put it back to last years volume. There was a constant traffic of people all the time. First time I ever say them not leaving people into the woods too after a certain time

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Also remember folks to mail/tweet them with your feedback. I know a lot of the organisers and they are very open to feedback. No point in saying it was too crowded and not let them know.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,281 ✭✭✭-=al=-

Had A fantastic weekend. I loved Austra and Songhoy Blues. The only downside is that I'm having those strange post-festival dreams.

Bad dreams on the Monday and then suicide Tuesday... it gets a bit better from here on in

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 ConConKing

Best weekend of my life.

As said many times before me getting in was a nightmare. No good reason they cant be letting people in steadily from 12 on. Some said the toilets were bad but maybe it was the look of the draw for me but I didn't even need to hover once.

I didn't know the names of the acts I was at but the most fun I had was at the absolut tent. That was bopping the whole weekend particularly Sunday, what acts were playing from 4 till 12? I couldn't leave the place.

The crowd I thought was amazing thank you to all you cool people for making the festival what it was. I didn't see any trouble at any stage over the weekend (but that's not to say there wasn't any at all). Also didn't see anyone too drunk or too out of it either which I believe is completely down to being able to bring your drink into the main arena which is a brilliant policy which they shouldn't ever change. How can body and soul afford to not force people into buying drink in their? Because I've never heard of it anywhere else and it makes for a much better/friendly/fun atmosphere!

Anyways I've decided that body and soul is my thing and I'm buying a ticket for next year once they go on sale!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

ConConKing wrote: »
    Best weekend of my life.

As said many times before me getting in was a nightmare. No good reason they cant be letting people in steadily from 12 on. Some said the toilets were bad but maybe it was the look of the draw for me but I didn't even need to hover once.

I didn't know the names of the acts I was at but the most fun I had was at the absolut tent. That was bopping the whole weekend particularly Sunday, what acts were playing from 4 till 12? I couldn't leave the place.

The crowd I thought was amazing thank you to all you cool people for making the festival what it was. I didn't see any trouble at any stage over the weekend (but that's not to say there wasn't any at all). Also didn't see anyone too drunk or too out of it either which I believe is completely down to being able to bring your drink into the main arena which is a brilliant policy which they shouldn't ever change. How can body and soul afford to not force people into buying drink in their? Because I've never heard of it anywhere else and it makes for a much better/friendly/fun atmosphere!

Anyways I've decided that body and soul is my thing and I'm buying a ticket for next year once they go on sale!

12-5 Mother DJs
    5-7 DJ Ease
    7-8 Shamon Cassette x Misk
    8-9 Sally Cinnamon
    9-10 Decent Perks
    10-11 Arveene
    11-2 Get Down Edits

Agree the Absolut bar was very good all weekend. On Friday night I found the sound in the woods unbearable, couldn't even hear the songs despite me not being too far back in the crowd. Did anyone else notice this or know what the story was with it? Such a shame because the music was great.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 getdownedits

Djs on the sunday at Absolut bar were Mother,Decent perks,Arvenne and Get Down Edits who finished the nite

• Registered Users Posts: 35 ConConKing

The sound in the woods on Sunday night was too low alright I noticed. I went in closer to the stage hoping it'd be louder but it wasn't at all! I just stayed at the back of the crowd where I had room to act like a lunatic!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,833 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

Yeah the sound at night in the woods did seem a bit low on Friday and Saturday night. I thought it was grand during the day when there were feck all people about.

Sound seemed fine to me on Friday night at Reckless in Love, but Saturday it was unbelievably low.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭breakfasttime

Djs on the sunday at Absolut bar were Mother,Decent perks,Arvenne and Get Down Edits who finished the nite

DJ Ease from Nightmares on Wax played the absolut bar on Sunday and his set was class. Get Down Edits were great too!

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭TRADES SUPPLY AVAILABLE

Did the acts get paid ?

Absolute Bar was brilliant... Didn't know what to expect but it was nice to have a big bar in the middle of the festival, made it easy to meet people and you could just chill on the grass or have a dance, and as it's mostly outdoors it was always nice and cool. Drinks were decent too altho a bit of a disaster running out of drink before the end of the festival! :D Sound quality was top notch too, the boys did a really good job on the rig. It was defo a success... My only criticism is they should've kept it open to 4am each night and that would've stopped the forest from getting so rammed/closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Roudolph

That Talaboman video is bringing back some super memories! Cracking gig and a brilliant weekend again. Talaboman, Clark and Kiasmos were my gig highlights. Also just love the general vibe and atmosphere.

Unfortunately the way they lower the volume of the music in the woods each night is a real pain. They really need to sort that out. With the setting and the crowd they have the potential to have some amazing nights there but they are ruined as you can bearly hear the music. It was the same last year. Its a real shame.

All in all a super weekend.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭kwat

Roudolph wrote: »
    That Talaboman video is bringing back some super memories! Cracking gig and a brilliant weekend again. Talaboman, Clark and Kiasmos were my gig highlights. Also just love the general vibe and atmosphere.

Unfortunately the way they lower the volume of the music in the woods each night is a real pain. They really need to sort that out. With the setting and the crowd they have the potential to have some amazing nights there but they are ruined as you can bearly hear the music. It was the same last year. Its a real shame.

Yeah could barely hear Mother on Saturday night in the woods, even though we were only a little bit back.
    Went to the Chai Wallahs tent on Sunday night instead and it was HOPPING!
    Tent not too big and not too crowded so lots of room to move about, and the music was banging :)
    Great end to the festival.

Roudolph wrote: »

Don't remember any issues with the sound last year, it was pretty loud!

Friday for Hidden Agenda was very loud also, we had to move back a bit from the stage as we were getting slammed by the setup.

Saturday for Mother wasn't too bad either, altho I didn't get into the Woods after the last act on Saturday, but Sunday the sound was awful. You could hear everyone talking rather than the music.

.ak wrote: »
    Friday for Hidden Agenda was very loud also, we had to move back a bit from the stage as we were getting slammed by the setup.

Saturday for Mother wasn't too bad either, altho I didn't get into the Woods after the last act on Saturday, but Sunday the sound was awful. You could hear everyone talking rather than the music.

Maybe they blew some speakers or some of the setup and couldn't replace? Believe me it was really quiet late on saturday also.

Did anybody find a grey/blue hoodie? I left it absolutely anywhere, at any time over the weekend. I'm sure its filthy. Cheers.

Don't remember any issues with the sound last year, it was pretty loud!

I was down in the woods for Hidden Agenda on the Friday night and the sound was unbelievably quiet, I don't know whether they just turned it down briefly or how long it was like that for but I specifically even remember some of the songs that were played and it was not possible to have a dance because as soon as anyone close to you began talking you couldn't hear the music.

I have a video of them playing inspector norse on the friday night, after 3am and it seemed loud enough!

Yeah I was down from 2am to 3:45 (unusual closing time...) and it was banging. I remember because they played Arthur Agent - Hold your Headup Soulwax's remix and it was pumping, the place was going off.

On Sunday night I literally could hear myself breathing, it was very peculiar. Maybe it depended on where you stood?

Also, I know Reckless was a new stage this year, but was it in a different position? I think I preferred where it was in 2014

Yeah I was down from 2am to 3:45 (unusual closing time...) and it was banging. I remember because they played Arthur Agent - Hold your Headup Soulwax's remix and it was pumping, the place was going off.

On Sunday night I literally could hear myself breathing, it was very peculiar. Maybe it depended on where you stood?

Also, I know Reckless was a new stage this year, but was it in a different position? I think I preferred where it was in 2014

Maybe there was something in the Becks, affecting peoples hearing. :D

• Advertisement

Must have been where I was standing so. Same as yourself on the Sunday I could hear myself breathing on the Friday night, a group of people beside me start chanting "hire it up" so I know it wasn't me going insane imaging this :D Yes I way preferred where it was in 2014 too.. The treehaus stage was there this year, but there never seemed to be more than a handful of people at that stage. I wonder why they moved it?

Advertisement