Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IW/Anything Water Related-Warning in OP

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Valetta

I don't think homeless people will be paying water charges.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

I agree. I am in the 'everyone to pay' camp. The anti water charge protesters are in the 'PAYE workers to pay' camp.

And thats pretty much all there is to it with respect to the concept of water charges

Wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

Tony EH wrote: »
    Wrong.

Really?

If the direct user charges were eliminated tomorrow to maintain the 'some pay for all' status quo, the protest movement would disappear.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

Why would a homeless person be liable for water charges?

Sounds like another strawman.
    Valetta wrote: »
    I don't think homeless people will be paying water charges.

With selective reading like that .You would think ye add the odd :pac: or even a little :D

Really?

Yes, REALLY.

I'm an anti water charges protester, but I'm not limited to Granpa Hassan's stupid reduction.

I not against metering in principle, so long as the meters record ONLY what the users uses in regards of water and the cost doesn't include other bull****, like perks and outrageous bonuses for doing fück all.

That's why I want to see the destruction of Irish Water.

Hence why:
    The anti water charge protesters are in the 'PAYE workers to pay' camp.

And thats pretty much all there is to it with respect to the concept of water charges

is "wrong".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

shinzon wrote: »
    Im not talking about other countries im talking about here where commensurately everything is more expensive and where report after report has homelessness and people not having money to survive at the end of the month after paying all the bills they already nevermind the water charge on top of that

Shin

That's a problem with the Social Welfare system or peoples management of their personal finances.

The cost to live is the cost to live, it should be reflected that way.

At the moment people have the perception that they obtain services for 'free' when they are not free at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

Yes, REALLY.

I'm an anti water charges protester, but I'm not limited to Granpa Hassan's stupid reduction.

I not against metering in principle, so long as the meters record ONLY what the users uses in regards of water and the cost doesn't include other bull****, like perks and outrageous bonuses for doing fück all.

Hence why:

is "wrong".

So if the status quo remained, users not charged directly, you will still be out there manning the barricades?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭shinzon

That's a problem with the Social Welfare system or peoples management of their personal finances.

The cost to live is the cost to live, it should be reflected that way.

At the moment people have the perception that they obtain services for 'free' when they are not free at all.

Which we already know is not free same arguments different day, people are managing there finances as best they can under there particular circumstances, not everyone has the luxury to pay everything with shedloads of money

the lack of understanding from people on here is absolutely disgraceful

Shin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭hju6

Why do you keep talking about the brick guy? I'm talking about the incident where a woman was imprisoned in her car against her will, her staff were assaulted, Gardaí were assaulted and robbed and almost every offence under the public order act was breached. The brick guy is irrelevant to that.

Was anyone charged for all of the offences you outline above.?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭ireland.man

Which we already know is not free same arguments different day, people are managing there finances as best they can under there particular circumstances, not everyone has the luxury to pay everything with shedloads of money

Shin

We're going through the deepest and most enduring economic recession in over 130 years. It's a global crisis and unemployment and hardship around the EU is huge. We're witnessing the results of financial deregulation and then the awful results of an ideologically based austerity-led programme, an approach that has never worked before and is prolonging the crisis now in the EU.

But it's mainly about how people budget and whether they spend money on flatscreen tvs, according the the economists in this thread...

• Advertisement

ROCKMAN wrote: »
    With selective reading like that .You would think ye add the odd :pac: or even a little :D

I actually deliberately put homeless people in there just to see if theyd quote that part of my post and they did so they didn't do it but I will

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Shin

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Here's a thought,the vast majority of meters are situated just yards from peoples front doors,how many leaks are present in those few yards? Very,very little you'll find.This blows the "meters are present to detect leaks & help save water" argument away.

I have worked at installing,repairing & replacing water pipes,not once have I or my workmates found the last few yards of the connection to premises leaking.The problems were with the mains itself...........of course all this money spent on IW & still not a leak fixed.A very expensive billing company disguised as a utility is what we've been given.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Shin

So you have no answer and basically return to saying people don't care about the people who need support from the Social Welfare system.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭Grandpa Hassan

Yes, REALLY.

Hence why:

is "wrong".

No its not wrong. The protests are for the abolition of water tax. Not a change to Irish Water. The organisers of the protests are making that very very clear. I do not support IW in its current form. But I do agree with water charges.

And a protest against water charges, is a demand that the PAYE worker picks up the tab.

If the protest were against the structure of IW, then that would be different. But it is not. Just look at all the banners "water is a human right" etc etc. I have a real problem being seen to support the organisers of these protests, and no way I would join them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Tinkersbell

Daith wrote: »
    From the taxpayer and borrowing.

Think again.
    Come back when you have an answer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

hju6 wrote: »
    Was anyone charged for all of the offences you outline above.?

Not yet no. Do you think that means it didn't happen?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,439 ✭✭✭TheChizler

zerks wrote: »
    Here's a thought,the vast majority of meters are situated just yards from peoples front doors,how many leaks are present in those few yards? Very,very little you'll find.This blows the "meters are present to detect leaks & help save water" argument away.

I have worked at installing,repairing & replacing water pipes,not once have I or my workmates found the last few yards of the connection to premises leaking.The problems were with the mains itself...........of course all this money spent on IW & still not a leak fixed.A very expensive billing company disguised as a utility is what we've been given.

Huh? How does that imply they won't be useful for detecting leaks? If everything in the house is off and the meter is still spinning you've got a leak somewhere. Equally if the sum of all the meter readings in a neighbourhood is less than the value at meter at the distribution node for that neighbourhood you know at what stage in the supply the leak is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Tinkersbell

:confused:

What else is going to happen?

Do you think Enda will be siphoning off the money to pay for a holiday home in the Seychelles for some of his banker/bondholder buddies?

You got it in one.
    There's hope for us all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Streetwalker

Not paying is not an option if we, as a society, want drinkable water delivered to our taps.

Only the method of payment is up for debate.

Everyone to pay or just PAYE workers.

Sigh. Everyone pays for it already.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

TheChizler wrote: »
    Huh? How does that imply they won't be useful for detecting leaks? If everything in the house is off and the meter is still spinning you've got a leak somewhere. Equally if the sum of all the meter readings in a neighbourhood is less than the value at meter at the distribution node for that neighbourhood you know at what stage in the supply the leak is.

My local council tested some & you may aswell have used magic beans to detect a leak.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

Sigh. Everyone pays for it already.

No they don't. Only people who earn money do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Barely There

That's all that meters do record.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,224 ✭✭✭Going Forward

Not sure what your point is, but non domestic users already pay...

In theory.
    In practice around 50% of the annual non domestic water usage bill remains unpaid.

The E200 million should be closer to E400 million.

http://www.environ.ie/en/Publications/LocalGovernment/AuditService/FileDownLoad,32617,en.pdf

So you have no answer and basically return to saying people don't care about the people who need support from the Social Welfare system.

I assumed this answered your question
    people are managing there finances as best they can under there particular circumstances, not everyone has the luxury to pay everything with shedloads of money
    Shin

Shin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Barely There

You got it in one.
    There's hope for us all.

Why don't you report this to the relevant authorities if you believe there's been an illegal misappropriation of tax funds?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

Ahh - it's the 'why can't someone else pay for it' argument so beloved of the Shinners and the other Looney Left Parties

Ya let's go back to Fianna fail!

Who paid for the bail out of there mates in the Galway tent again?

Give me a ****ing break!

So if the status quo remained, users not charged directly, you will still be out there manning the barricades?

As long as Irish Water exists I'll be in protest.

I want to see that company dead.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭Daith

As long as Irish Water exists I'll be in protest.

I want to see that company dead.

And what do you want instead of it?

• Advertisement

No they don't. Only people who earn money do.

You do realise that when you buy stuff there's this thing called tax on it, diesel, cigs, food etc.. It doesn't matter if you work or not you pay, please tell me you realise this :confused:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement