Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Swimming for Tri Beginners

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,370 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Dory Dory wrote: »
    Hello, fish-in-training!! :)

Session #1 - Drills

400 warmup
    4 x 100 kick
    - Option A: no kick board, 4 x (25 on stomach with arms outstretched and hands clasped, 25 on right side, 25 on left side, 25 on back with arms outstretched and hands clasped). If not using a kick board while on the stomach isn't working for you, then you can substitute that 25 for kicking on your back.
    - Option B: 2 x (100 with kick board...then 100 done w/o kick board as 2 x (25 right side, 25 left side)).
    - Option C: 4 x 100 with kick board.
    4 x 50 free - 25 hard, 25 easy, 15 sec rest
    4 x 100 free done with right arm only 25, left arm only 25, full stroke 50
    200 finger tip drill
    200 cool down

Total: 2,200 meters

Decided to go with option B as my shoulder has no real strength when arms are stretched out entirely usually resulting in it dislocating. I've learned this position is best avoided. :D

Anyway kick with board was grand tiring but have learned if you get into a steady rhythm it's a lot easier than going like the clappers for 25M then suffering through the rest. In saying that my kick is still pretty poor but I'm certainly more aware of it when all comes together.

As for the side kick part I did try but to be honest I was all over the shop. Over rotating legs sinking. I persisted for 1 length either side the knocked it on the head. Probably need to concentrate on a few more core exercises in order to make myself a bit more stable.

Enjoyed the rest of the set. It kind of felt like interval training on the bike. Very hard not to get drawn into a lane race when supposed to be taking it easy.
    Session #2 - 100s!

3 x 100 warm up, increasing to 80% effort
    3 x 100 - 25 fast, 75 easy
    9 x 100 - 1-3/4-6/7-9 descending, trying to shave 5 seconds off each 100
    1 x 100 kick
    3 x 100 easy
    9 x 100 - with pull buoy, 1-3/4-6/7-9 descending, trying to shave 5 seconds off each 100
    1 x 100 kick
    3 x 100 cool down

Total: 3,200 meters

Really enjoyed this as I thought I would. Again felt like interval training with the fast/easy approach big thumbs up there Dory. I think a few breast strokers may have passed on the 3 x 100 easy though :D

9x100 FC was tough after the 3x100 and the 1x100 kick afterwards was just plain old mean. Legs were giving up only for the fact they new the PB was coming up.

9x100 PB was grand but I probably started off a bit slow I've been trying to concentrate on the entry and glide part while using the PB.

Cool down was a very easy pace.

Very tired now but delighted to get session 2 done possibly my longest distance in one session.

Excellent sessions Dory thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    Decided to go with option B as my shoulder has no real strength when arms are stretched out entirely usually resulting in it dislocating. I've learned this position is best avoided. :D

Anyway kick with board was grand tiring but have learned if you get into a steady rhythm it's a lot easier than going like the clappers for 25M then suffering through the rest. In saying that my kick is still pretty poor but I'm certainly more aware of it when all comes together.

As for the side kick part I did try but to be honest I was all over the shop. Over rotating legs sinking. I persisted for 1 length either side the knocked it on the head. Probably need to concentrate on a few more core exercises in order to make myself a bit more stable.

Enjoyed the rest of the set. It kind of felt like interval training on the bike. Very hard not to get drawn into a lane race when supposed to be taking it easy.

Kicking with the kick board is perfectly acceptable, so that's great that you opted to go with Option B. Remember to keep your knees slightly bent and toes pointed while driving the kick from the hips. Do not kick from the knees! Flex your feet! And you'll find the most powerful kicks will have little splash, so try to keep it just under the surface, if you can. :)
    iwillhtfu wrote: »
    Really enjoyed this as I thought I would. Again felt like interval training with the fast/easy approach big thumbs up there Dory. I think a few breast strokers may have passed on the 3 x 100 easy though :D

9x100 FC was tough after the 3x100 and the 1x100 kick afterwards was just plain old mean. Legs were giving up only for the fact they new the PB was coming up.

9x100 PB was grand but I probably started off a bit slow I've been trying to concentrate on the entry and glide part while using the PB.

Cool down was a very easy pace.

Very tired now but delighted to get session 2 done possibly my longest distance in one session.

Excellent sessions Dory thanks.

I adapted this session from a session I did last summer at tri camp - 100 x 100s. :eek: Sounds daunting, doesn't it? But when you break something big down into smaller pieces, it becomes manageable. And you did precisely what I wanted you to do - you focused on keeping the key 100s quality, and you took advantage of an active recovery with the easy 100s. Well done! And congratulations for getting all 3,200 meters done! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭Steroo

I look forward to trying Dory Dory sessions next week... how long did that 3200 take others? I'm guessing 1:30 mins for me ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭career move

Steroo wrote: »
    I look forward to trying Dory Dory sessions next week... how long did that 3200 take others? I'm guessing 1:30 mins for me ?

Ya around 1hr30 for me. To be honest the day 1 session took about that long as well. There's a lot of kicking and that takes me a while

Session #3 - Pacing and Endurance

400 warmup
    2 x (3 x 200 w/15-30 sec rest...then 1 x 400) - 2 minute rest between sets
    200 cool down

Total: 2,600 meters

Pace the 200s with the idea in mind of keeping that same/similar pace while swimming the 400. That doesn't mean you deliberately go easy on those 200s, but rather try and maintain a steady pace throughout the entire set.

Day 3 ...... a game of two halves. Delighted with the first set: 4:46, 4:55, 4:56, 9:53. I was hoping I'd be able for a sub 10 400 because my easy pace seems to have got a bit quicker. It felt comfortable but it must have taken a bit more out of me than I thought because the second set was slower. 4:53, 5:01. 5:08, 10:14 (9:02 + 1:12). I kicked off the wall in a weird way half way through the 400 and I got a vicious cramp in my right calf. Tried to kick it out but it was getting worse so had to stop for a second. Then I miscounted and finished on 350. Saw it on my watch so I did another 50 but had a bit of a break so it was cheating a bit ;)

What I learned was that when I get tired even though I'm keeping the same effort I need to focus really hard on my form or the pace drops :)

• Advertisement

Day 3 ...... a game of two halves. Delighted with the first set: 4:46, 4:55, 4:56, 9:53. I was hoping I'd be able for a sub 10 400 because my easy pace seems to have got a bit quicker. It felt comfortable but it must have taken a bit more out of me than I thought because the second set was slower. 4:53, 5:01. 5:08, 10:14 (9:02 + 1:12). I kicked off the wall in a weird way half way through the 400 and I got a vicious cramp in my right calf. Tried to kick it out but it was getting worse so had to stop for a second. Then I miscounted and finished on 350. Saw it on my watch so I did another 50 but had a bit of a break so it was cheating a bit ;)

What I learned was that when I get tired even though I'm keeping the same effort I need to focus really hard on my form or the pace drops :)

Form definitely can go to pot as you tire - but you did a super job!! And that first set of yours was spot on! :)

If you do this set again in the future (or to all others who have yet to do this set), perhaps take a 3 or 4 minute rest between sets...OR even a 1-2 minute rest, 200 yard recovery swim (super easy!), 1-2 minute rest, then start the 2nd set. I may not have allowed you enough recovery.

Just a quick thanks to Kurt for asking me to be a guest in this thread this past week. I know some of you have not done my sessions yet, but I'll be checking in periodically to see how things are going. And, of course, if need be you can always nudge me on my log or send me a pm. Best to everyone!!! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

Thanks a million for your help and valuable input Dory. I'm still finding my feet, so its important to periodically hand over the rudder to more experienced Captains, lest we drift too far astray. You introduced new drills, and informed the swimmers with your own infectious brand of enthusiasm and support (something I lack!). This thread wouldn't even have started if not for the many, many tips you gave me when I started swimming, and all the patience and encouragement you showed then. 95% of advice is lifted directly from what you gave, anyway!;) Thanks again.

Week 17

This week we are going to consolidate on the pacing work that Dory brought in last week. The sessions will look harder on paper than in practice, so I'm going to emphasise a few points that apply to all 3 sessions this week:

1. There should be no 100m pb's this week.
    2. Everything this week should be very smooth, very controlled.
    3. Speed takes a back seat this week.
    4. Being in control of your pace is key to your race.

Day 1
    100m sw easy
    100m pb easy
    50m k
    100m steady*, 15s rest
    200m steady, 15s rest
    300m steady, 15s rest
    400m steady, 15s rest
    300m steady, 15s rest
    200m steady, 15s rest
    100m steady, 15s rest
    400m choice swim down
    *steady means a controlled, comfortable pace. You are not out of breath, your form is good, your speed doesn't matter. What matters is you are in control and are able to dictate what a "controlled pace" means. Same pace for all distances.

Day 2
    100m sw ez
    100m pb ez
    2*50m k easy, 20 sec rest in between
    100m sw
    100m ripple
    100m armpit/shoulder tap
    100m sw
    100m fist
    100m fist&pb
    100m sw
    200m pb
    100m sw
    300m pb
    100m sw
    400m pb
    400m choice
    ^^^everything above done at a controlled pace throughout.

Day 3
    Hypoxic day. This means you will be limiting your breathing. This can be dangerous, so be careful not to let it reach dangerous levels. If your lungs are screaming; if you have an icy feeling in your legs; if you are panicing: you have gone too far, take a breath. The key thing to hypoxic breathing is to make the most of your stroke. Instead of fighting or rushing through the water, slow right down, and make the most of your controlled stroke. It's amazing how good your stroke can be when you take out lifting the head for air, so be sure to SLOW RIGHT DOWN and appreciate how you travel through water when doing this workout.

100m sw ez
    100m pb ez
    2*50m k ez
    2 min rest
    200m, alternate 25m Breath Every 3 on odd numbers, BE 5 even
    1 min rest
    200m, alternate 25m Breath Every 4 on odd numbers, BE 6 even
    1 min rest
    1 min rest
    10*25 as 15m no breath, 10m easy (breath as desired). Full recovery at each wall.
    200m pb BE 3
    250m as 25 Breathe 4 times, 3 times, 2, 2, 1, 1, 2, 2, 3, 4 (this means you take 4 breaths anywhere between the walls for the first, 3 for the next, etc. ALL DONE SUPER SLOW- conserve energy and make the most of your catch)
    400 choice warm down

Two videos worth watching- although neither one is specific to any of our hypoxic drills, they both emphasise how important efficiency is. If you are gasping for air, while thrashing through the water, you're being very inefficient and will build up CO2 in your bloodstream very quickly. Notice how both swimmers slow down to make the most of their breath, which deliberately getting the utmost from their stroke.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭and still ricky villa

Felt really good after an hour of this session so thought I'd throw in a 100m TT at the end before legging it to work. Glad I did now:D

100m Time Trial|Nov '14|Dec|Jan|Feb|March|April|May|June'15
    ainsyjnr|1:47|1:38||||||
    strummer_ie|2:10|||||||
    career move|2:49|2:38|2:32|2:19||||
    Rainbow Kirby|1:57*|1:53||||||
    ToTriOrNot |2:09|||||||
    bart86 |1:51|1.48|2:00|||||
    iwillhtfu |###|1:36|1:42
    andstillrickyvilla |2:38|2:23|2:19|2:07||||
    steroo ||||1:52||||

I've just read back over all this thread. It's funny how you pick up different things when you read it again!

Tomorrow is hypoxic day for me. Yay :rolleyes: I'm pretty confident about this bit

alternate 25m Breath Every 3 on odd numbers, BE 5 even

because I always breathe on 3 and I've been practising breathing on 5 with the pb. And I think the 4/6 should be fine but I'm a bit worried about these bits:

10*25 as 15m no breath, 10m easy (breath as desired).

250m as 25 Breathe 4 times, 3 times, 2, 2, 1, 1, 2, 2, 3, 4 (this means you take 4 breaths anywhere between the walls for the first, 3 for the next, etc

I'm not even sure how to approach it. I've been practising holding my breath but then how do you stop yourself reflexly hyperventilating? Practise? On average I would take 23/24 strokes per 25m so 15m is about 15 strokes. If you do less strokes does it use less energy and therefore less oxygen?

I'm a bit worried about these bits:

10*25 as 15m no breath, 10m easy (breath as desired).

250m as 25 Breathe 4 times, 3 times, 2, 2, 1, 1, 2, 2, 3, 4 (this means you take 4 breaths anywhere between the walls for the first, 3 for the next, etc

I'm not even sure how to approach it. I've been practising holding my breath but then how do you stop yourself reflexly hyperventilating? Practise? On average I would take 23/24 strokes per 25m so 15m is about 15 strokes. If you do less strokes does it use less energy and therefore less oxygen?

Very good questions.
    Realistically, hypoxic swimming for beginners serves a limited purpose, but your thoughts above get to the nub of what I'm trying to introduce by doing them. "How do you stop yourself reflexly hyperventilating?". You relax. Simple as that.

By now you have every item in your toolkit to swim well, to know what is good form, good streamline, good technique. You also know that to get faster, form and technique are more important than power. If we had gills behind out ears, we would never lift our heads, instead just swim with a good catch and pull, and a light flutter kick for balance. With great form. This week has nothing to do with speed, everything to do with making the most of travelling through the water.

"15m fast, 10m breath as you wish"
    this won't be a problem to anyone, you're all well capable. You'll probably hold your breath for the 15m, but try a slow exhale while you sprint the 15. The session looks harder than it is- treat it like a learning experience, and see what happens.

"250m as 25 Breathe 4 times, 3 times, 2, 2, 1, 1, 2, 2, 3, 4"
    Slow right down. As you correctly assume, less energy expended means less reliance on oxygen means you don't have to lift the head so much means you have gills behind your ears. Look at the video of the girl swimming 6 lengths on one breath. How far would she have gone if she sprinted on that one breath? A lot faster, but a lot shorter, is the answer. So when you do this hypoxic set, think of her, and think of making the most of each stroke. Keep the head steady, swim slower than you think you should, and take plenty of rest at each wall. It should feel weird, but weird is good!

The aim of this week (besides fun) is to teach you the benefit of relaxing while swimming. The biggest problem with beginners is tensing up because of breathing issues. Relax the breathing, learn to control your breathing, and you will be a better swimmer.

Thanks for the advice Kurt. I managed it fairly well. I can't believe I managed it fairly well but I did! There was no hyperventilating and apart from a couple of weird sounding gulping noises, it was all very calm and composed :D When I saw these sessions on your log Kurt I never thought I would be capable of attempting them so big thanks biggrin.png

Day 3
    100m sw ez
    100m pb ez
    2*50m k ez superwoman style
    2 min rest
    This started off well but on the last couple of BE 5 I was gulping a bit for air
    1 min rest
    200m, alternate 25m Breath Every 4 on odd numbers, BE 6 even
    I had to stop a couple of times at the wall on this after the BE 6 ones
    1 min rest
    Found this a lot easier the second time around
    1 min rest
    10*25 as 15m no breath, 10m easy (breath as desired). Full recovery at each wall.
    The first one I only got about 10 or 11 metres but I was getting a bit further every time and the last one was my best
    200m pb BE 3
    250m as 25 Breathe 4 times, 3 times, 2, 2, 1, 1, 2, 2, 3, 4 (this means you take 4 breaths anywhere between the walls for the first, 3 for the next, etc. ALL DONE SUPER SLOW- conserve energy and make the most of your catch)
    I did this as BE 3,3,3,2,2,1,2,1,2,3. The first one I got quite far before I needed a breath and then there didn't seem much point in rushing in another 3 breaths. I couldn't get BE 2 the first time I tried and the same with BE 1
    400 choice warm down done as 400 fc

2*50m k ez superwoman style

Superwoman is right! I'm impressed by your commitment, and your rapid improvement. That alone has made this thread worthwhile, well done :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,613 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Echo that. Wonderful progress and great commitment, you should be proud.

Day 1
    200 easy
    4*50 k with or without board
    4*100 off 2:25 (or whatever your slow pace is)
    1 min rest
    4*100 off 2:20 (slow pace minus 5 seconds)
    1 min rest
    4*100 off 2:15 (slow pace minus 10 seconds; this pace should feel "steady")
    1 min rest
    4*100 off 2:10 (slow pace minus 15 seconds; this pace should feel "fast")
    1 min rest
    200 easy backstroke
    Steady pace for each 100. More experienced swimmers do 5*100 of each.

Day 2
    200 easy
    4*50 k
    4*50 sw
    4*50 fingertip
    4*50 pb
    4*50 sw
    4*50 fist
    4*50 pb
    4*50 sw
    4*50 armpit tap
    4*50 pb
    4*50 sw
    200 swim down choice
    15 sec rest after each drill, all done at comfortable pace.

Day 3
    200 easy
    4*50 k
    400 off 9:40 (or whatever your slow pace is)
    1 min rest
    400 off 9:20 (a little faster than slow pace)
    1 min rest
    400 off 9:00 (this pace should feel "steady")
    1 min rest
    400 off 8:40 (this pace should feel "fast")
    1 min rest
    200 easy choice
    Pacingpacingpacingpacingpacing during the 400's... do not go out too fast.

Good luck!

Kurt Godel wrote: »
    Week 13- kick focus

Day 1
    400m warm up
    150m Back flutter
    150m Dolphin kick on back
    150m Front Flutter 1 hand on board
    150m Front Flutter 2 hands on board
    150m Side Flutter
    150m Side Flutter alternating sides
    400m choice warm-down

Enjoyed might not be the right word as I'm walking funny and it was really tough but I really did enjoy this.
    'Trained' from a book once (Fitness Swimming - Emmet Hines) that was very kick focused so I was pleased that some of it had stuck with regard to holding body position.
    I'd feared the dolphin kicks as I'd never done them before but turned out to be my favourite once I got the hang of them
    PB had to come into play for the warm down as the legs were in shock:o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭Steroo

I had a go at this one today... and it wasn't too good overall BUT something clicked half way through this set & I started to swim with ease for the first time ;) buzzing.... I think it's just been a culmination of all the different training aspects. But the main change was that I stopped trying to breath Bi lateral & just stuck to one side & focussed on my kick... I noticed my kick was weak on one side and once I got it right I could turn & breath nice & slow & relaxed.... sounds obvious but I hadn't been achieving this relaxed swimming before. I slowed everything down & lengths were taking 36-38 seconds instead of the usual 30 seconds... but I could keep going. So now I need to keep at it & get this rhythm embedded.

Week 13- kick focus

Day 1
    400m warm up (felt comfortable)
    150m Back flutter (enjoyed this)
    150m Dolphin kick on back (got 10m & nearly choked... tried once more & same thing.. just couldn't get the body position)
    150m Front Flutter 1 hand on board (difficult ish only did 50m)
    150m Front Flutter 2 hands on board (much easier did 50m)
    150m Side Flutter (skipped this)
    150m Side Flutter alternating sides (been doing a lot of this lately so enjoyed this, but only did 100m)

I had cut things short as I wanted to keep time (on lunch) to focus on overall swim form & breathing. So I did about 600m with ease breathing every 2 strokes.. alternating sides... and concentrating on staying relaxed & keeping a good kick while in rotation).

400m choice warm-down (did 100m breast & back stroke).

I also practiced rolling onto my back mid frontcrawl should I need to do this in the sea (hopefully not)...

So my main reason for posting today is for anyone else who is unhappy with their progress & trying to do Bilateral breathing all the time... try other breathing timings for a full session & see what happens.

So for now I'm going to focus less on bilateral.... but still try to incorporate it in sets as I understand how important it is for stroke/balance etc.

Week 18 done and dusted. Knocked a few secs off my 100m and 400m PB's this week (now 2:16 and 9:43). I used the pb when I was doing my backstroke swim down yesterday. It was different!! I'm doing a swim workshop in Athlone tomorrow week - 2 pool sessions with underwater and overwater video analysis, classroom session focussing on swim technique and theory and then back to the pool for drills etc. Looking forward to it. I think Mojomaker has done it previously :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Kurt asked me to take this week so here goes.......

Any questions/queries just pop them here and I'll answer

Session 1
    Distance 2000m
    2x(50sw,50p,25k) +10s rest between each
    3x50 as 25 fs, 25p (use a pull buoy for the fs)
    4x50 as 25 archer, 25 easy + 15s
    6x(100 broom, 100sw) + 20sec rest between each
    4x50 as 25 fast, 25 easy +15s rest between each 50
    4x50 choice

Session 2
    Distance 2100m
    100sw,100p,100k
    6x50 as 25 drill, 25 easy + 20sec
    1,4 = front balance
    2,5 = left balance
    3,6 = right balance
    6x100m trunk touch +20sec
    6x50p + 15sec focusing on entering the water deep, by that I mean hand entering and trying to touch the bottom of the pool in front of you
    6x50 as 25 fast, 25 easy + 20sec
    100k,100p,100sw

Session 3
    Distance 2200m
    4x50 sw easy + 15s
    4x50 p steady + 15s
    4x50 k + 15s
    4x50 as 25 fast, 25 easy + 15s
    10x50p as 25 fist, 25p +15s
    3x100 sw steady +20sec
    4x50 as 25 fast, 25 easy + 15s
    4x50k + 15s
    4x50 choice easy + 15s

sw = swim
    p = pull buoy
    k = kick with kickboard
    fs = front scull, very small movements coming from the wrist and elbow,very small movements. Float face down with your hands and arms extended in front of your body (streamline position). Press your arms outward with the little fingers elevated and then inward with the thumbs elevated—this is one full sweep. Keep the sweepsshoulder width and raise your head after 4-5 sweeps to breathe, and then repeat.

archer = Archer drill is a body position/recovery drill for freestyle. Think "bow and arrow" when you think "archer." Like an archer stretching his bowstring to fire an arrow, the swimmer kicks with one arm outstretched (palm down). The other arm is held in partial recovery position. We use three different positions: archer 1, archer 2, and archer 3. Archer 1 is with the elbow high and hand trailing the elbow. Archer 2 is with the elbow at its highest point and hand even with the shoulder. Archer 3 is with the elbow high and in front of the shoulder with the hand poised to enter the water far in front of the shoulder.

broom = swim with a 12" piece of broom handle or plastic pipe held in your leading hand, think a catch up drill but rather than touching hands at the front you have to grip the bit of broom handle, grabbing each time at the very end of the piece of handle. Forcing you to enter the water with hands 12" apart or so each time

front balance = arms by side, head in water, "pushing the buoy" - that is pushing your chest and head into the water to "pop" you legs up. A gentle gentle kick, a slow drill

left side balance = left arm outstretched, right arm by your side. Gentle kick. Chest not quite perpendicular to the bottom of the pool but not far off.

right side balance = left side balance reversed

trunk touch = on each stroke you must touched your thigh with your thumb as you push out the back of the stroke

steady = a little above easy

fist = fisting drill, swim with clenched fists

choice = any stroke except freestyle

Thanks Tunney. They look like fun sessions. I wasn't sure how I'd get forward momentum when doing the fs drill so I found this video on youtube which gives I think a good demonstration in case anyone else was wondering :)

Thanks Tunney. They look like fun sessions. I wasn't sure how I'd get forward momentum when doing the fs drill so I found this video on youtube which gives I think a good demonstration in case anyone else was wondering :)

And if you see as well Kevin's body position. No kicking, no pull Buoy and yet his whole body is flaking at the top of the water. That's the balance and position that everyone should be aiming for

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

The first time I tried sculling, I did go backwards....

For anyone that might be thinking of doing this, coaching days have been posted
    The cost of entry alone might be worth it for 2 - 3 hours of coaching.
    I'd guess places are going to fill up fast

Galway Clinic (Kingfisher NUIG) 20th March 6.30-9.30pm - http://form.jotformpro.com/form/50694867767981

Limerick Clinic (UL Sport) 21st March 10.30am-12.30pm - http://form.jotformpro.com/form/50704930074955

Cork Clinic (Leisureworld Bishopstown) 21st March 4.00-7.00pm - http://form.jotformpro.com/form/50694426262962

Dublin Clinic (NAC) 22nd March 12.30-3.30pm - http://form.jotformpro.com/form/50695061295964

• Registered Users Posts: 45 sporteamon3

Swim for a Mile Dublin and Cork Coaching Clinics appear to be full already!

The first time I tried sculling, I did go backwards....

You weren't kidding :eek:

3 times I pushed off the wall and started moving my hands out and in, just like the dude in the video. 3 times I slowly drifted back to the wall :( I had to include some sneaky arm strokes to get enough momentum to get to the other wall!
    The archer drill was hard when my elbow was high and I had to stop a couple of times cause I was swallowing water. It was still difficult but manageable when my arm was in the recovery position.
    I liked the broom. I had The Stick at home which made an ideal broom. One of the lifeguards came over to ask what I was doing at one stage. He gives swim lessons and he was wondering what the purpose of the "rod" was :) so that got me thinking what is it doing? And after 600m (6 is plenty by the way!!) I decided it was teaching me not to cross over when my hand is entering, it was making me lift my arm more out of water, I was kicking better and more rhythmically and it was improving my body balance in the water. I'm doing a 5k race tomorrow that I want to run well in so I used the pb for the 100 easy cause I didn't want to knacker my legs too much.
    Definitely a tougher session than I thought it would be but it was enjoyable :)

You weren't kidding :eek:

3 times I pushed off the wall and started moving my hands out and in, just like the dude in the video. 3 times I slowly drifted back to the wall :( I had to include some sneaky arm strokes to get enough momentum to get to the other wall!
    The archer drill was hard when my elbow was high and I had to stop a couple of times cause I was swallowing water. It was still difficult but manageable when my arm was in the recovery position.
    I liked the broom. I had The Stick at home which made an ideal broom. One of the lifeguards came over to ask what I was doing at one stage. He gives swim lessons and he was wondering what the purpose of the "rod" was :) so that got me thinking what is it doing? And after 600m (6 is plenty by the way!!) I decided it was teaching me not to cross over when my hand is entering, it was making me lift my arm more out of water, I was kicking better and more rhythmically and it was improving my body balance in the water. I'm doing a 5k race tomorrow that I want to run well in so I used the pb for the 100 easy cause I didn't want to knacker my legs too much.
    Definitely a tougher session than I thought it would be but it was enjoyable :)

Don't cheat at the front scull. Kick lightly.
    Archer may be difficult if your body position is pants.
    Yes on the crossing over. Crossing over is bad for so so many reasons :)

Quick question Tunney .... Session 3
    10x50p as 25 fist, 25p

Is that all done with the pb or how do I get the pb from one of the pool to the other .... #logistics :)

• Advertisement

Quick question Tunney .... Session 3
    10x50p as 25 fist, 25p

Is that all done with the pb or how do I get the pb from one of the pool to the other .... #logistics :)

All pull buoy

Advertisement