Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sinn Féin the most popular party in latest poll (mod warnings in OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Adams,Doherty,MaryLou and co. will not get carried away with this poll, if anything they will play it down. No dancing on the rooftops for them.
    But it was priceless to see the look of disgust on all those covering the story on SIXONE news. Wonder if they worry that their little cosy cartel that has existed always under FF/FG/LAB/GREENS and a few corrupt indos may be coming to an end.??

Of course the real kick in the teeth here is Labour at 7%
    Can see SF picking away further at this 7% thus confining this bunch of charletans to the dustbin of history where they belong, joining the Greens and PDs

• Registered Users Posts: 37,296 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

washman3 wrote: »
    Wonder if they worry that their little cosy cartel that has existed always under FF/FG/LAB/GREENS and a few corrupt indos may be coming to an end.??
    New masters, same corruption. I'm sure it'll just be called something else, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭kabakuyu

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

Some imaginative spinning on here and in prospect. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

washman3 wrote: »
    Wonder if they worry that their little cosy cartel that has existed always under FF/FG/LAB/GREENS and a few corrupt indos may be coming to an end.??
    Because SF are going to be different? Same old big government, high tax party like all the rest.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 92 ✭✭poteen o hooley

Hardly needs saying! It would be a pretty confused voter who would switch from FG to SF, or vice versa.
    FG are and always were a minority party, they only promote the interests of a minority. Much of their inflated vote in the last was an anti FF vote.
    FG deluded themselves that they had finally won the war v FF.
    No. Their new 'supporters' have woken up to the elitist ethos of FG and will never return.
    So actually FG (& Lab) are losing voters to SF and Inds

If you look at the polls in detail the SF vote is coming from ex-FF & to a lesser extent independents/non aligned. FG have largely kept their vote. Labour have lost their vote to indos/SF.

hmmm wrote: »
    If you look at the polls in detail the SF vote is coming from ex-FF & to a lesser extent independents/non aligned. FG have largely kept their vote. Labour have lost their vote to indos/SF.
    you need to read my post again.
    that is exactly what I said.

you need to read my post again.
    that is exactly what I said.
    You said that FG were losing voters to SF. They are not.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

Can't wait for the usual suspects predicting SF's implosion because "Cahill changed everything" to chime in with their explanation of this... :-)
    Silly silly Irish public... why won't you listen to Enda?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

Dan_Solo wrote: »
    Can't wait for the usual suspects predicting SF's implosion because "Cahill changed everything" to chime in with their explanation of this... :-)
    Silly silly Irish public... why won't you listen to Enda?

Or close the thread!

Data was presented as oddly as you could imagine. Why wasn't the most popular party, SF, first on the graphic instead of FG? And why scroll FG off the screen to the left before showing SF? Afraid people will see the two of them at the same time or something?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

Data was presented as oddly as you could imagine. Why wasn't the most popular party, SF, first on the graphic instead of FG? And why scroll FG off the screen to the left before showing SF? Afraid people will see the two of them at the same time or something?

If Denis o Brien tells 'the independent' to put hes beloved fine Gael first. That's what will be done!

Or close the thread!
    They'll have to close the whole feckin' site!

You said that FG were losing voters to SF. They are not.[/QUOTE

I said they had lost the inflated vote from the last election to SF.

Apologies if two ideas in the one sentence are confusing for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,307 ✭✭✭✭alastair

FG are and always were a minority party, they only promote the interests of a minority. Much of their inflated vote in the last was an anti FF vote.
    FG deluded themselves that they had finally won the war v FF.
    No. Their new 'supporters' have woken up to the elitist ethos of FG and will never return.

FG have a pretty good record of leading governments over the years, for a minority party, and FF did enough permanent damage to themselves to make FG the major party by default. SF have never come anywhere near winning the same number of seats as FG, and that's not going to change any time soon, as they still retain a serious transfer problem - on account of the patently obvious baggage they carry. Independents will be the primary beneficiaries of the mainstream party's woes come the next election, but odds are still on a FG-led coalition, and improved economic prospects for a number of years.

If Denis o Brien tells 'the independent' to put hes beloved fine Gael first. That's what will be done!
    No, this was on RTE news. It just looked so forced. There's only FG, Lab, FF, SF, others. What the hell do they need to scroll for to show 5 percentage bars at once?

You said that FG were losing voters to SF. They are not.[/QUOTE

I said they had lost the inflated vote from the last election to SF.

Apologies if two ideas in the one sentence are confusing for you.

You'll have to explain that to me, because by my reading, they mean exactly the same thing.

It's all a conspiracy.

alastair wrote: »
    and that's not going to change any time soon, as they still retain a serious transfer problem - on account of the patently obvious baggage they carry.
    FG's string of disastrous policies and backfiring political stunts is rapidly making them more toxic than Enda's hair dye.

• Advertisement

It's all a conspiracy.
    I reckon it's to spare some folks' delicate sensibilities.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,742 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

No need.

The privatisation of IW plan seems to be gaining them considerable traction.

If they are water charges are going to be dropped then would IW cease to exist so how can they privitise it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,895 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Wouldn't be SFs biggest fan but I am fooking loving this!

FG's string of disastrous policies and backfiring political stunts is rapidly making them more toxic than Enda's hair dye.

We'll see what people want come the election.

Yeah, Enda's bound to have some new onerous unfair tax or transparent PR stunt up his sleeve to save the day come election time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

Sinn Féin have no real policies. Nothing is backed up on how policies will be paid for.. Everything is changeable to the populist vote. Their leader doesnt even live in the republic

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Because SF are going to be different? Same old big government, high tax party like all the rest.

And your solution is what exactly...??

Sinn Féin have no real policies. Nothing is backed up on how policies will be paid for.. Everything is changeable to the populist vote. Their leader doesnt even live in the republic
    Their economic policies have been certified by the Dept. of Finance, so I guess they could be completely wrong. :-)
    Where does the leader of FG, Angela Merkel, live anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭twowheelsgood

I wouldn’t necessary be averse to seeing SF in power. And I would and have make the same point about other parties across the spectrum from the greens to the PDs.

Parties that have never been in power can be quite adept at hurling on the ditch. When they get their turn to sit on the potty, if I can mix metaphors, they will of course have to make unpopular decisions, just like any government has to do. And that can take some of the sheen of their ditch heroics.

SF of course know this and I think have no intention of going into government after the next election. But if they do well and end up as say the second biggest party there may be pressure on them to do so.

• Advertisement

I guess that thread about SF being level with FG in opinion polls is now just a bit redundant? :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement