Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Travellers jailed for attacking Gardai

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Barely There

kstand wrote: »
    Are you for real? He has rattled off the top of his head quite a number of incidents that he has seen and in one case where he has been set upon and you come back with it is to do with him and his prejudices? He has just given a list of real life incidents - and you are coming back at him that it is because he is prejudiced?
    How can anyone hold any sort of a rational debate about anything when they come up against this sort of irrational train of thought bordering on total stupidity.
    This is nothing to do with prejudices - much as you would like it to fit your own agenda.
    People are entitled to think what they want based on experience.

I don't really place much stock in the anecdotes recounted as Gospel on an anonymous internet message board.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭SteM

Probably says more about you and your prejudices tbh, seeing as your the common denominator in all your 'stories'.

I think people's experiences and interactions colour their view. I grew up in Wicklow, moved to Dublin city centre and had zero view on the traveller population. Never had any interaction a traveller iirc.

I moved to Tallaght 7 years ago. I live on a generally quiet cul-de-sac but maybe 5 or 6 times there have been really violent drink related fights at night and they have all involved fights between various 'settled' traveller families. Garda vans called, people hauled away with blood over them. The whole nine yards. These are people that come in, rent for a year or so and then move on. We had an incredible experience a year after we moved in with a settled traveller family 2 doors down that escalated from me asking their 10 year old to not pee in my front garden garden to my wife being threatened with a knife and them attempting to burn down our back garden shed the following night.

I've witnessed fights and arguments up in The Square on a Sunday, so many that I just steer clear of the place that day.

My (overly long) point is that if I had have grown up where I live now then my view of the traveller population would definitely be different to the non existent view I grew up with. I don't think that's predjuice, it's just a fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭cadaliac

Probably says more about you and your prejudices tbh, seeing as your the common denominator in all your 'stories'.

I too, have had poor experiences with the traveler community unfortunately and i can relate to Pedro K's experiences as mine are quite similar (working in a bar, dealings in public and dealings at school etc) but I'm not going to state any of my feelings towards the community as I think this thread has enough of that.
    Also, I must admit, I do not interact with the Travelers and I have very few dealings with them now in my adult life.

I do want to ask you, what you propose society does as a whole with the Traveling community?
    Its all very well calling people out saying that they are anti travelers or are biased in a negative way - but supposing you manage to change someone to have a positive view about the travelers, what then?
    How do you tackle the unemployment issue and crime statistics that engulf this community ? How would you do things differently? You know, to change peoples prejudices?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭kstand

I don't really place much stock in the anecdotes recounted as Gospel on an anonymous internet message board.

You don't have to.
    But there is plenty in the papers and in the media from court cases and all in the very recent past. Do a google search for "Ennis traveller feud".

SteM wrote: »
    I don't think that's predjuice, it's just a fact.

Prejudice is an unjustified or incorrect attitude (usually negative) towards an individual based solely on the individual's membership of a social group.

Prejudice is rife on this thread. If a black kid came into my school and damaged some final year projects 15 years ago am I justified in making sweeping statements about black people based on this incident?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

This justification is comical :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

the small minority of bad apples

Ah, I needed a Friday evening laugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

Should start with ten strikes rule. Ten convictions and your in for ten years with the eleventh.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

Leave it out, salt of he earth that bloke!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Frigga_92

Well then why are you bothering with this thread? Or boards for that matter? :confused:

• Advertisement

Cormac... wrote: »
    This justification is comical :pac:

Are you a racist though?

Should start with ten strikes rule. Ten convictions and your in for ten years with the eleventh.

Agree - everyone can make a mistake or two.
    But the sentence to my mind shouldn't be B&B in a cushy cell. 5 years hard labour might help them reflect on what they have amassed. 10 hours hard physical work a day, 6 days a week and no frills in the cell. Until something as drastic as this happens, then the problem in Ireland is going to get a whole lot worse. And the biggest threat to change in terms of cleaning this up is not from the perpetrators themselves - its from human rights groups.
    Shouldn't matter who you are - you get 10 convictions and you're 5 years hard labour.

Are you a racist though?

I thought you were for real - total troll.

kstand wrote: »
    5 years hard labour might help them reflect on what they have amassed.

They should make them do driveways!

Oh wait...

Are you a racist though?

To say of what is that it is not, or of what is not that it is, is false, while to say of what is that it is, and of what is not that it is not, is true: Aristotle

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

Prejudice : who decides if the opinion is incorrect or unjustified ? In the absence of objective statistical evidence, your BT perception is as valid or invalid as others.
    Anecdotal experience is very poor, if that can be utterly rubbished by statistics, then advocates for the travelling community should be asking for them too. Yet there seems to be some reluctance ("to what end ?")

Would love to get your take on it if a family of them moved in next door to you in 12 months
    This post has been deleted.
    tastyt wrote: »
    Jesus Christ can you not say anything about travellers without having the discrimination bull**** thrown at you. It's plain as day and there for all to see, in every town up and down the country they cause trouble .

Wonder how quick the Mods would be swinging the Ban Hammer if the word 'Traveller' was replaced with 'Asians', 'Jews' or 'Blacks' in any of the small selection of posts above.

Seems we're all comfortable being prejudiced against Travellers though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭tastyt

Wonder how quick the Mods would be swinging the Ban Hammer if the word 'Traveller' was replaced with 'Asians', 'Jews' or 'Blacks' in any of the small selection of posts above.

Wer actually the most tolerant country in the world, that's the problem

To say of what is that it is not, or of what is not that it is, is false, while to say of what is that it is, and of what is not that it is not, is true: Aristotle

I can see you're uncomfortable confronting your own prejudices. that's OK, that's quite normal.

Let's try again, shall we?

Is this a racist statement.
    Would love to get your take on it if a family of them moved in next door to you in 12 months

It's more likely to be replaced with knack**, Pik** or Tink**. But sure there'd be murder then! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

Perhaps you should look on the fact that the bans aren't flowing as an indication there may be some measure of truth in those statements?

I can see you're uncomfortable confronting your own prejudices. that's OK, that's quite normal.

Let's try again, shall we?

Is this a racist statement.

Do you believe in God?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Frigga_92

If you have an issue with posts use the report post function, that's what it's there for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

Heres some statistics then. 80% are unemployed, 21.8% have completed lower secondary level, 0.1% of the population make up 5% of the prison population, 37% of women seeking refuge from domestic violence were travellers. Cant find an exact number but they also have a high rate of disability.

Im sure you'll find anyone else to blame for it though.

wexie wrote: »
    Perhaps you should look on the fact that the bans aren't flowing as an indication there may be some measure of truth in those statements?

How would a Mod know?

The more logical way to look at it is that there's a widespread societal acceptance of prejudice and casual racism against members of the Travelling community.

The more logical way to look at it is that there's a widespread societal acceptance of prejudice and casual racism against members of the Travelling community.
    The thing is that if Travellers want to be treated the same as everyone else then they have to start acting the same as everyone else. They're a law onto themselves! They take land, they don't pay taxes, they actively exclude themselves from societal integration. I was once told by a policeman "They're impossible to keep track of. Sure a high percentage of them have multiple pps numbers and they claim multiple benefits."

smash wrote: »
    The thing is that if Travellers want to be treated the same as everyone else then they have to start acting the same as everyone else. They're a law onto themselves! They take land, they don't pay taxes, they actively exclude themselves from societal integration. I was once told by a policeman "They're impossible to keep track of. Sure a high percentage of them have multiple pps numbers and they claim multiple benefits."

Pretty much all of that sentence was prejudicial against Travellers.

How would you like to be judged as an Irish person based on the behaviour of that group of J1 students who wreaked the house in America earlier this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

How would a Mod know?

Yes there is but posters who talk about there own experiences are allowed do that. It's not racist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

How would a Mod know?

So what you're saying then is that the mods are all racist too?

It's all of us right? We're all prejudiced racists and only you can see the truth....

:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Do you believe in God?
    Pretty much all of that sentence was prejudicial against Travellers.

How would you like to be judged as an Irish person based on the behaviour of that group of J1 students who wreaked the house in America earlier this year?

You haven't answered my question!

Advertisement